Start by marking “An Introduction to Second Temple Judaism: History and Religion of the Jews in the Time of Nehemiah, the Maccabees, Hillel, and Jesus” as Want to Read:

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Paperback, 1st edition, 176 pages
Published August 12th 2010 by T&T Clark International (first published June 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about An Introduction to Second Temple Judaism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Introduction to Second Temple Judaism

Will Waller
This book receives the oh-so-undaring score of three stars because it was such a middle of the road kind of textbook. Since it's been awhile since I read this book (having saved the final chapter to read until just now), I'm going to do this review based upon my memory.

This book is a, and I stress this, cursory look at pre-70 CE Judaism following the building of the second temple. It is certainly an introduction and many references in its annotated bibliography will lead you further into study.
jon
Grabbe's book was a disappointment to me. It came highly recommended, but fell short of expectations that naturally should accompany the reading of a leading historian and my experience with the works of other leading historians on the subjects of his book. There is, in Grabbe's work much for future reference, but the experience of reading it was far from inspiring. The work is astute, but dry and not a little given to the state of and uncertainty of what we can know with historical assurance--m ...more
Zach Freeman
Read this one for a class - it's well-organized and to the point but there are a surprising number of typos. Not really a book you would pick up outside of a class.
Aaron Mcnully
Aaron Mcnully marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Victor
Victor marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
BGates
BGates added it
Feb 02, 2015
Mark Kennicott
Mark Kennicott marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Fr Adam Kane
Fr Adam Kane marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Dancingfoolvb
Dancingfoolvb marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Leni
Leni marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
C.J.
C.J. added it
Aug 09, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Theodros
Theodros marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Byrappa
Byrappa marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Travis Rothlisberger
Travis Rothlisberger marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Ancient Israel: What Do We Know and How Do We Know It? A History of the Jews and Judaism in the Second Temple Period (vol. 1): The Persian Period (539-331BCE) Judaic Religion in the Second Temple Period Introduction to 1st Century Judaism Did Moses Speak Attic?: Jewish Historiography and Scripture in the Hellenistic Period