Start by marking “Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy, #3)

Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy #3)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  70,966 Ratings  ·  2,275 Reviews
From an extraordinary new voice in fantasy comes the stunning conclusion to the Farseer trilogy, as FitzChivalry confronts his destiny as the catalyst who holds the fate of the kingdom of the Six Duchies...and the world itself.

King Shrewd is dead at the hands of his son Regal. As is Fitz--or so his enemies and friends believe. But with the help of his allies and his beast
Published 1998 by Voyager (first published March 3rd 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Assassin's Quest, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Steve Barth
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Markus
Oct 06, 2014 Markus rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2014, buddy-reads
Buddy read with Alexa!

It’s a hard thing to do to constantly force yourself onward in a series that has never managed to fully catch your interest, just waiting for it to improve. And then to reach the end and realise that it doesn’t.

I really wanted to like this series. After finishing both the first and the second book I was torn between two different ratings, and on both occasions decided to give the book the highest one. All in hope of drastic improvements that could make the series as interes
Erik
Jun 18, 2008 Erik rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After the spine-tingling cliff-hanger at the close of the book two, I was fully expecting a cathartic close in this the third and final book in the Farseer trilogy. However, I found myself getting bored with the tiresome -- and seemingly endless -- quest that took far too much of the last half of this 700-some-page finale. Perhaps it was the monotony of the long-haul slough that our hero and his allies endured for 200-plus pages , or even the deus ex machina by way of dragons. (How convenient an ...more
Bookworm Sean
Robin Hobb certainly knows how to deliver a spectacular conclusion. The build-up going into these final chapters was immense; she draws the plot out so much that when the ending does arrive, it’s almost explosive because it’s so shocking that it has finally been delivered. I love the way she keeps doing this to me, but this book wasn’t without its faults. The villain, Prince Regal, remains a bit of a frustrating mystery and the final resolution, though good, was a little glossed over. This is th ...more
Kaora
Dec 08, 2014 Kaora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He shall thirst for the blood of his own kin, and his thirst shall go unslaked. The Catalyst shall hunger for a hearth and children in vain, for his children shall be another's and another's child his own.

For approximately 60% of this book I was positive it was going to be 2-3 stars. For such a massive book there didn't seem to be a lot happening. We follow Fitz as he attempts to find himself after dying and being reborn after living as a wolf. It begins very interesting, but soon began to drag
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
I very rarely give only one star; it feels melodramatic, especially since I gave Royal Assassin five. But after the quality of the first two books in this trilogy, I was shocked and appalled by this one--and, what's worse, I was bored.

In this book, Fitz leaves Buckkeep and all of the other characters we've come to know and love over the first two books. He spends most of the 760-page book hiking across the continent, much of it alone, much of the rest with random throwaway characters who appear
Alexa
Oct 06, 2014 Alexa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Buddy read with Markus

I have a lot of friends who love Hobb's series, so I'm going to assume the problem here is one of compatibility: this book and I, we're just not compatible.

I tend to like plot driven books, well developed villains, and I don't want a Gary Stu protagonist, but I do want my hero to be heroic. To win from time to time. It's the main character and I'm following his story, of course I'm going to root for him!

Sadly this book followed a pattern I didn't like:

1. Fitz would do som
Damian Dubois
Feb 07, 2014 Damian Dubois rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Just as a friendly word of warning this review contains many spoilers that haven’t been wrapped in spoiler tags so I would recommend only reading this review if you have already completed the Farseer Trilogy. Wouldn’t want to ruin things for you…

At the end of Royal Assassin we were left on a cliffhanger which saw Chade and Burrich engaging in a little spot of grave robbing, an exhumation of sorts to reunite Fitz’s soul with something that sets Nighteyes hackles ajar, something he describes as sm
Mpauli
No full review, let me only say that I thought it was a fitting ending to the series. But in the beginning and the middle there were a few passages that could have been shortened or left out. In contrast to this there was information provided in the epilogue that I personally would have liked to have been shown us more over the course of the book, instead of being told at the end. In the end a 3,5 stars read for me that I rounded up to 4 on GR.
Emma
Jun 05, 2016 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
This book has to drop one star because, although as beautifully written as ever, so much time is spent on the looooooooooong search for Verity. Even I was starting to get exasperated with the lack of action and I am a devoted Hobb fan. This trilogy was a re read and I was far more impressed this time than when I first read it.
Having read the tawny man, liveship and rain wild series already, it amazes me that Hobb had such a full and detailed picture of the world she was building. She lays the fo
Cameron
Sep 24, 2010 Cameron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jamie Collins
Jan 12, 2015 Jamie Collins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
For all my complaints about this trilogy, it speaks volumes that I read all three fat paperbacks in less than two weeks. The narrative is riveting, even in this last book which has long sections where people are mostly walking. Not all of the characterizations were successful, but I don't often feel as much of a connection with a protagonist as I did to Fitz.

I'm slightly dissatisfied with the overall scope of the story, but I really enjoyed the details the author includes, details that may very
Apatt
Aug 02, 2015 Apatt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
“When you try your best but you don't succeed
When you get what you want but not what you need
When you feel so tired but you can't sleep
Stuck in reverse”

- Coldplay

There is a kind of trope in epic fantasy where the Chosen One gets angry at being chosen, at what he has to sacrifice for the global benefit, and what a terrible time he is having. Frodo, Harry Potter etc. all go through this “woe is me” phase. FitzChivalry, the protagonist of this “Farseer Trilogy” does a lot of that in this final vol
C.
Jul 08, 2008 C. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to C. by: My brother
Shelves: fantasy, never-again
I read this trilogy on the recommendation of my brother, who was thoroughly enjoying the novels.

The first in the series was okay--not great, but good enough to keep me reading. I started becoming doubtful when I read the second, but when I got to this one, I was downright angry with some of the decisions "the good guys" made, and one decision in particular that I found downright reprehensible, which the character (and thus the author) essentially justified as "for the good of the people" and thu
Ben Babcock
Jason Webster
Sep 01, 2009 Jason Webster rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Why oh why! I had people tell me this book was awful, but I thought well if it's worse then the first 2 then it will still be good because I really enjoyed the first 2 books. If you have read the first 2... STOP THERE and imagine your own ending for Fitz because this one sucks!

If you would have told me when I finished book 2 that I would not read the Tawny Man series because Assassin's Quest was "that bad" I would have told you you were crazy.

If she would re-write this book I would buy it. Serio
Matthew
Oct 04, 2015 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow... If I could give it 6 stars I would... wow... full review in the future!
Kalin
Jul 21, 2016 Kalin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fitting not-quite-ending to a most heart-wrenching/heart-warming trilogy.

My notes as I read:

~ I really need a cleansing of my heart. Such as this one.

~ The mass reunion which follows briefly after this tom(-)foolery is the most hilarious horrible scene I've read in a long while. My heart lurched between convulsing with pain for Fitz's predicament and convulsing with laughter at its deliberate, over-the-top extremity. Yiiiikes, it can't possibly get any worse ... oooops, it just did. And again.
helen the bookowl
This was definitely not a bad story, but the way it was executed was really bad. If you liked the first two books in this series, you're probably going to like this one as well as it follows Fitz on his continued journey. However, in this one Robin Hobb makes the story drag on so badly that I was impatient to get through it in the end. It felt like Robin Hobb was really encaptured in this story and wanted to make sure that every detail was covered, and she forgot about the lack of pacing.
In oth
Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 Kat Hooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review refers to the whole Farseer Trilogy:

I read The Farseer Saga years ago and it is still one of my favorite epic fantasies. Its main strengths are its simple writing style and excellent characterization.

Robin Hobb's prose is lovely — straightforward and simple. It never calls attention to itself (and therefore away from the story). The characters are complex and believable. Fitz is my favorite fantasy "hero" and someone I came to really care about. He's not perfect, he's not beautiful,
Nicole
I'm really glad Hobb decided to continue writing about Fitz and the Fool because I did not think this was a satisfying end to their story at all. I hear the books in the series just get better as they go on, so I do plan on continuing, but it might take me a little while to get over the disappointment of Assassin's Quest.

This book basically jettisoned the court intrigue elements that I liked so much in the first two books, and instead it was replaced with that good old epic fantasy stand by: wal
Freakout
Mar 10, 2016 Freakout rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books, fantasy
easy five stars for the whole series, loved every page of it...
Manju
Jan 24, 2016 Manju rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how to start a review for this book. I was frustrated and impressed with the author at the same time. But still I am happy that I managed to finish this tome instead of abandoning once the story hit 50% mark.

After throwing some really good surprises in the start of the book, Fitz embarks on a journey which took the whole book to complete and end was not as grand as I expected it to be considering it was the final installment of the series. But I should not have done that after book
Franco  Santos
Nov 01, 2015 Franco Santos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robin-hobb
Rating real: 3.75 estrellas.

No tiene ningún spoiler.

Me resulta difícil hacer esta reseña, pero bueno, lo voy a intentar.

El libro empieza bien, entretenido, intrigante y absorbente. Luego la historia comienza a decaer mucho. La autora describe cualquier aspecto anodino e insignificante. Tuve que soportar todos los dilemas de Traspié, todas sus preguntas, y cómo repasaba todas las cosas que le habían pasado una y otra vez. Fue bastante insoportable.
Pasaba poco y nada.

¿Por qué partes tu vida en p
Mike (the Paladin)
Well, there were times when I would have rated this a bit higher, a 4. Other times I had a little trouble with it being a 3. The book however is better than the second volume in the series so, lets call this the illusive and much longed for 3.5 stars.

Robin Hobb is a talented writer, but I doubt I'll ever actually be a fan. She enjoys too much creating a character the reader cares about and then putting said character through hell...a long extended hell. Maybe it's even a guided tour of hell. The
Carbaes
Jun 03, 2016 Carbaes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2016, in-my-shelf
Reseña completa de toda la trilogía en Fábulas estelares.
Y yo ahora tengo que segur con mi vida, escribir una reseña decente y objetiva (o algo así) y aguantarme las ganas de salir corriendo a comprar La misión del bufón, porque sí, me he quedado con muchas ganas de más.
Pero resulta que me he ventilado más de 1 500 páginas en menos de un mes y debo controlarme. O intentarlo.
Hanne
Such a worthy ending to a fabulous trilogy!
I really liked the story and how she wraps it all together. It's different enough from the previous books, and it fits with Fitz growing up and leaving the original scope of his live.

One thing that Robin Hobb does remarkably well, is make you care so much for the main characters. I got incredibly protective of Fitz, and was hunting down every other character who dared to touch a hair on his head.

Loved it!
Jenna Kathleen
Jul 03, 2016 Jenna Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-z-fantasy-16
Assassin’s Quest was a rollercoaster, and I'm pretty sure it was a good thing, but I'm not 100% sure yet. Parts of this book were so painfully boring to read that I had to set it down for a while, which was made into a longer while when I lost it under a blanket. Some parts had me shaking my head in disbelief, but other parts of this book were so wonderfully satisfying. There will be spoilers for the series, so read at your own risk.

I suppose I’ll start with the things I didn’t like, and while I
Xime García
Oct 07, 2015 Xime García rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reseñados
: Me encantó, en serio.
En realidad, 3.75

Traspié Hidalgo Vatídico:

description

...gracias por acompañarme en una saga.

No estoy negando los errores y el relleno del libro, no estoy negando que algunas veces me dieron ganas de zarandear a Hobb y a su personaje, no estoy negando que esta historia podría haber sido la misma con 400 páginas menos, pero fue, dentro de todo, un buen cierre a esta primera trilogía.

-Las personas que mejor se conocen son las que saben cuál es la mejor manera de hacerse daño.

Me debat
Chris
Nov 23, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to let this one settle on a night's sleep before rating it.

There were times when I wanted to give this book 3-stars, because while I enjoyed it all the way through, it wasn't as tension packed as Book 2 and it moved slowly for most of the book. But then there were times I wanted to give it 5-stars because Hobb further develops characters I have come to love and wraps up all her loose threads nicely.

So I settled on 4, which is good because I didn't like it quite as well as Book 1, which I
Nicole
Sep 08, 2008 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dazed and Confused 11 85 Jul 24, 2016 12:38AM
Hobb-A-Long Read-...: Chapters 21-25 13 38 Jul 06, 2016 10:12PM
Hobb-A-Long Read-...: Chapters 31-35 7 33 Jun 30, 2016 06:02PM
Hobb-A-Long Read-...: Chapters 11-15 12 31 Jun 29, 2016 09:47PM
Hobb-A-Long Read-...: Chapters 26-30 2 24 Jun 26, 2016 08:30PM
Hobb-A-Long Read-...: Chapters 16-20 6 30 Jun 24, 2016 03:33PM
  • Restoration (Rai-Kirah, #3)
  • The Oracle's Queen (The Tamír Triad, #3)
  • The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3)
  • Eye of the Labyrinth (Second Sons, #2)
  • Memories of Ice (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3)
  • The Price of Spring (Long Price Quartet, #4)
  • Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)
  • Stone of Farewell (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #2)
  • Kushiel's Chosen (Phèdre's Trilogy, #2)
  • The Lady of the Sorrows (The Bitterbynde, #2)
  • The Charnel Prince (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #2)
  • Blade of Tyshalle (The Acts of Caine, #2)
  • A Man Betrayed (Book of Words, #2)
  • Lord of Emperors (The Sarantine Mosaic, #2)
  • Midnight Falcon (The Rigante, #2)
** I am shocked to find that some people think a 2 star 'I liked it' rating is a bad rating. What? I liked it. I LIKED it! That means I read the whole thing, to the last page, in spite of my life raining comets on me. It's a good book that survives the reading process with me. If a book is so-so, it ends up under the bed somewhere, or maybe under a stinky judo bag in the back of the van. So a 2 st ...more
More about Robin Hobb...

Farseer Trilogy (3 books)
  • Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1)
  • Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2)

“Not being able to think of a reply is not the same thing as accepting another's words.” 104 likes
“I healed. Not completely. A scar is never the same as good flesh, but it stops the bleeding.” 86 likes