Start by marking “The Startup Game: Inside the Partnership between Venture Capitalists and Entrepreneurs” as Want to Read:

Entrepreneurs drive the future, and the last several decades have been a thrilling ride of astounding, far-reaching innovation. Behind this transformative progress are also the venture capitalists - who are at once the investors, coaches and allies of the entrepreneurs. William H. Draper III knows this story first-hand, because as a venture capitalist, he helped write it. ...more
Published January 4th 2011 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Startup Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Startup Game

The Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesThe Launch Pad by Randall E. StrossStart-up Nation by Dan SenorVenture Deals by Brad FeldBusiness Model Generation by Alexander Osterwalder
Venture Capital
15th out of 43 books — 28 voters
The Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesThe 4-Hour Workweek by Timothy FerrissZero to One by Peter ThielSmartcuts by Shane SnowThe Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
Success Hackers
52nd out of 55 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Herve
Sep 21, 2011 Herve rated it really liked it
As I wrote in my previous post on a few Indian tech start-ups, I just read The Startup Game by Bill Draper. In general, that kind of books is of average quality, this one is much above the average, though this is just my personal feeling. I like what is written and here my summary.

Bill Draper is one of the fathers of venture capital and belongs to a interesting genealogy. His father was a grandfather of VC and his son is currenlty an active investor

More in the chapters of my book about venture c
Lucas
Apr 13, 2011 Lucas rated it liked it
Shelves: business
I like the stories about specific companies, though there wasn't enough on failures- the failure to success rate for each venture is maybe about 5-10 to 1 but the coverage in this book reverses that ratio.

Overly positive and un-self-critical attitude of entire book is wearisome, maybe a book written by a journalist instead of this borderline auto-biography would be more balanced.

The chapters that weren't about venture capital or lacked detail weren't very good. There are probably a million diff
Adam
Jun 13, 2016 Adam rated it liked it
An interesting read, but very light on specifics. From the title and description, I was hoping this book would get into the details around pre-funding work by founders, business plans, funding rounds, term sheets, negotiation points and opposing perspectives, etc., but other than a few passing references to the venture capitalist funding structure, these topics aren't really explored.

I would summarize a large part of the book as follows: "I met these founders through [insert name drop], I decid
Tie Kim
Jan 09, 2012 Tie Kim rated it really liked it
Fabulous insights from one of the most eminent venture capitalists who also is a terrific storyteller. This book is replete with sage advice on characteristics to seek when selecting a business partner, appraising leadership talent, and common mistakes to avoid.

There are some memorable quotes sprinkled throughout the books and some of my favorites are listed below.

* Mark Twain: "Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is."
* Japanese proverb: "Vision without action is a daydream. Action
Travis
Nov 28, 2012 Travis rated it really liked it
If you are looking for how to be an entrepreneur or venture capitalist this isn't the book for you, but if you are looking for intimate details and enriching stories in the lives of some of the greatest entrepreneurs and venture capitalists then this is where to get it. It is very much an autobiographical book which I found interesting, but I can see where some people might be looking for the keys to success and be disappointed.
Alice O'herin
May 05, 2012 Alice O'herin rated it it was amazing
Highly informative for someone without deep industry knowledge about VC. Highly informative to learn about the key traits VCs look for, to understand the relationship between VCs and their fundees, and the startup space. It dwelt more on the biographical and philosophical than I expected, but I enjoyed the heavy emphasis on strong moral fiber and ethics within business. In particular, I was interested in the last chapter on the Draper Richard Foundation.
Stephanie Sun
Read at the risk of finding yourself liking an adorable Republican.

It won't change your life or enable you to instantly found, run, or even find a multimillion dollar business, so approach with realistic expectations. This is a candid, civilized, very personal, introductory take on the life of a Silicon Valley VC from one of the men who invented the job description.
Nadine Brown
3/18/11 finished. Read first 8 chapters; skimmed rest. Gained insight into Draper's character, networking vital in vc/startup environment; traits of good leader other things vc's look for. Better understand funding rounds.
Can not wait to share info in next interview, of course, to impress. :)

Just skimming for networking ideas.
John
Feb 09, 2011 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
A neat story from the family that founded venture capital (father), that launched the first international VC fund (writer) and launched the first international VC network (the son) - PLUS interesting journeys into some of the history of the 20th century - such as the Berlin Lift, Marshal Plan. One of the few books in this category that would interest my business colleagues AND my Dad !!
Phyllis
Just finished reading my Uncle Bill's new book and it was quite fun! If you or anyone you know is an entrepreneur, this is a good combo business book/memoir. And if you're interested in great stories of the financial founding of Silicon Valley, he's the one to tell the stories. Enjoy!
Allison
Jun 05, 2016 Allison rated it it was ok
The book is like 10% info relevant and important to startups and 90% self-congratulatory autobiography that no one asked for. Gave me some good insight as to how VC culture works, at least -- lots of privileged, self-absorbed white guys at the helm.
Abhineet Kumar
Feb 12, 2014 Abhineet Kumar rated it it was amazing
I liked this book for two reasons:

- Insight into how Silicon Valley works, and its history as well as where it is headed.

- Knowledge about the VC industry, as well as what's in an entrepreneurial DNA.

I think its a quick read with interesting stories.

Trevor
Jun 17, 2011 Trevor rated it did not like it
The author's tone is so smug and self-congratulatory that the book is unreadable. Would not recommend under any circumstance
David Chabot
Apr 02, 2015 David Chabot rated it liked it
I thought this book would be much more detailed and into the specifics of the venture capital industry. It's still an interesting read, no doubt, but it's more a biography than a technical read.
Opengraphtestuser
Fantastic and fun - more of an autobiography than a tutorial but definitely worth reading for anyone living in/interested in Silicon Valley and its history.
Troy Jensen
Aug 07, 2015 Troy Jensen rated it liked it
An excellent overview of Startups and Venture Capital. A lot of the content I found fascinating but may not be of practical use to many readers. Overall it was a great read...
Mike Clarke-qtility
Mike Clarke-qtility rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2013
Jay Watt
Jay Watt rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2013
Vlad
Vlad rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2012
Dave
Dave rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2013
Guilherme Nardari
Guilherme Nardari rated it liked it
May 08, 2015
João
João rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2013
Saro Ayvazians
Saro Ayvazians rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2014
Jason DeStigter
Jason DeStigter rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Josh Buckley
Josh Buckley rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2015
Bill Lynch
Bill Lynch rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2011
J B
J B rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2014
Fabian W.
Fabian W. rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2011
Mikhail Kulakov
Mikhail Kulakov rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Zigzag Principle: The Goal Setting Strategy That Will Revolutionize Your Business and Your Life
  • Venture Capitalists At Work: How VCs Identify And Build Billion Dollar Successes
  • Mastering the VC Game: A Venture Capital Insider Reveals How to Get from Start-up to IPO on Your Terms
  • Startup Weekend: How to Take a Company from Concept to Creation in 54 Hours
  • Force of Nature: The Unlikely Story of Wal-Mart's Green Revolution
  • Slicing Pie - Funding Your Business Without Funds
  • Term Sheets & Valuations: An Inside Look at the Intricacies of Term Sheets & Valuations
  • The House Advantage: Playing the Odds to Win Big In Business
  • Startup CEO: How to Build a Company to Success
  • Raising Venture Capital for the Serious Entrepreneur
  • Startup Boards: Getting the Most Out of Your Board of Directors
  • Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
  • Trotsky: Downfall Of A Revolutionary
  • The Founder's Dilemmas: Anticipating and Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Sink a Startup
  • Rules For Revolutionaries: The Capitalist Manifesto for Creating and Marketing New Products and Services
  • Dot.con: How America Lost Its Mind and Money in the Internet Era
  • Street Smarts: An All-Purpose Tool Kit for Entrepreneurs
  • The Corner Office: Indispensable and Unexpected Lessons from CEOs on How to Lead and Succeed