Start by marking “The Startup Game: Inside the Partnership between Venture Capitalists and Entrepreneurs” as Want to Read:

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Entrepreneurs drive the future, and the last several decades have been a thrilling ride of astounding, far-reaching innovation. Behind this transformative progress are also the venture capitalists - who are at once the investors, coaches and allies of the entrepreneurs. William H. Draper III knows this story first-hand, because as a venture capitalist, he helped write it. ...more
Published January 4th 2011 by Palgrave Macmillan Trade

To ask other readers questions about The Startup Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Startup Game

The Launch Pad by Randall E. StrossStart-up Nation by Dan SenorThe Founder's Dilemma by Noam WassermanHow to Create the Next Facebook by Tom TaulliCrossing the Chasm by Geoffrey A. Moore
Venture Capital
14th out of 39 books — 5 voters
The Jetstream of Success by Julian PencilliahSecret to Startup Failure by Sonia LinBuilt to Last by James C. CollinsBusiness Model Generation by Alexander OsterwalderDelivering Happiness by Tony Hsieh
Essential Reading for Startup Founders
54th out of 58 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Herve
As I wrote in my previous post on a few Indian tech start-ups, I just read The Startup Game by Bill Draper. In general, that kind of books is of average quality, this one is much above the average, though this is just my personal feeling. I like what is written and here my summary.

Bill Draper is one of the fathers of venture capital and belongs to a interesting genealogy. His father was a grandfather of VC and his son is currenlty an active investor

More in the chapters of my book about venture c
Lucas
I like the stories about specific companies, though there wasn't enough on failures- the failure to success rate for each venture is maybe about 5-10 to 1 but the coverage in this book reverses that ratio.

Overly positive and un-self-critical attitude of entire book is wearisome, maybe a book written by a journalist instead of this borderline auto-biography would be more balanced.

The chapters that weren't about venture capital or lacked detail weren't very good. There are probably a million diff
Abhineet Kumar
I liked this book for two reasons:

- Insight into how Silicon Valley works, and its history as well as where it is headed.

- Knowledge about the VC industry, as well as what's in an entrepreneurial DNA.

I think its a quick read with interesting stories.

Tie Kim
Fabulous insights from one of the most eminent venture capitalists who also is a terrific storyteller. This book is replete with sage advice on characteristics to seek when selecting a business partner, appraising leadership talent, and common mistakes to avoid.

There are some memorable quotes sprinkled throughout the books and some of my favorites are listed below.

* Mark Twain: "Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is."
* Japanese proverb: "Vision without action is a daydream. Action
Alice O'herin
Highly informative for someone without deep industry knowledge about VC. Highly informative to learn about the key traits VCs look for, to understand the relationship between VCs and their fundees, and the startup space. It dwelt more on the biographical and philosophical than I expected, but I enjoyed the heavy emphasis on strong moral fiber and ethics within business. In particular, I was interested in the last chapter on the Draper Richard Foundation.
Travis
If you are looking for how to be an entrepreneur or venture capitalist this isn't the book for you, but if you are looking for intimate details and enriching stories in the lives of some of the greatest entrepreneurs and venture capitalists then this is where to get it. It is very much an autobiographical book which I found interesting, but I can see where some people might be looking for the keys to success and be disappointed.
John
A neat story from the family that founded venture capital (father), that launched the first international VC fund (writer) and launched the first international VC network (the son) - PLUS interesting journeys into some of the history of the 20th century - such as the Berlin Lift, Marshal Plan. One of the few books in this category that would interest my business colleagues AND my Dad !!
Stephanie Sun
Read at the risk of finding yourself liking an adorable Republican.

It won't change your life or enable you to instantly found, run, or even find a multimillion dollar business, so approach with realistic expectations. This is a candid, civilized, very personal, introductory take on the life of a Silicon Valley VC from one of the men who invented the job description.
Nadine Brown
3/18/11 finished. Read first 8 chapters; skimmed rest. Gained insight into Draper's character, networking vital in vc/startup environment; traits of good leader other things vc's look for. Better understand funding rounds.
Can not wait to share info in next interview, of course, to impress. :)

Just skimming for networking ideas.
Phyllis
Just finished reading my Uncle Bill's new book and it was quite fun! If you or anyone you know is an entrepreneur, this is a good combo business book/memoir. And if you're interested in great stories of the financial founding of Silicon Valley, he's the one to tell the stories. Enjoy!
Opengraphtestuser
Fantastic and fun - more of an autobiography than a tutorial but definitely worth reading for anyone living in/interested in Silicon Valley and its history.
Trevor
The author's tone is so smug and self-congratulatory that the book is unreadable. Would not recommend under any circumstance
Emrecan Dogan
Half autobio, half insights into startups. The part that I liked the most was on social ventures.
Dondi Hananto
great first-person view of the world of venture capital financing
Richard Bravman
Inspiring and instructive.
Syreeta
Syreeta marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Burke Davis
Burke Davis marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Quinn
Quinn marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Karim Madhi
Karim Madhi marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Ali Khan
Ali Khan is currently reading it
Dec 16, 2014
Samantha Stormo
Samantha Stormo marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Mikus
Mikus marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Greg Hawod
Greg Hawod marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Ryan Z
Ryan Z marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Lauren Gaggioli
Lauren Gaggioli marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Paul Petersen
Paul Petersen marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
  • The Zigzag Principle: The Goal Setting Strategy That Will Revolutionize Your Business and Your Life
  • Mastering the VC Game: A Venture Capital Insider Reveals How to Get from Start-up to IPO on Your Terms
  • Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
  • The Founder's Dilemmas: Anticipating and Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Sink a Startup
  • Startup CEO: How to Build a Company to Success
  • Slicing Pie - Funding Your Business Without Funds
  • The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company
  • Behind the Cloud: The Untold Story of How Salesforce.com Went from Idea to Billion-Dollar Company-And Revolutionized an Industry
  • Startup Weekend: How to Take a Company from Concept to Creation in 54 Hours
  • Venture Deals: Be Smarter Than Your Lawyer and Venture Capitalist
  • The Start-Up of You: Adapt to the Future, Invest in Yourself, and Transform Your Career
  • The Corner Office: Indispensable and Unexpected Lessons from CEOs on How to Lead and Succeed
  • The Score Takes Care of Itself: My Philosophy of Leadership
  • Tough Choices: A Memoir
  • Playing to Win: How Strategy Really Works
  • The Discipline of Market Leaders: Choose Your Customers, Narrow Your Focus, Dominate Your Market
  • Stealing MySpace: The Battle to Control the Most Popular Website in America
  • The Flaw of Averages: Why We Underestimate Risk in the Face of Uncertainty
Human Development Report 1990 University Extension - A Survey of Fifty Years 1873-1923 Feeding The Mind (Collected Works Of Lewis Carroll) The Measure of America: American Human Development Report, 2008-2009 All Creatures of Our God and King