The Startup Game: Inside the Partnership between Venture Capitalists and Entrepreneurs

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Entrepreneurs drive the future, and the last several decades have been a thrilling ride of astounding, far-reaching innovation. Behind this transformative progress are also the venture capitalists - who are at once the investors, coaches and allies of the entrepreneurs. William H. Draper III knows this story first-hand, because as a venture capitalist, he helped write it....more
Published January 4th 2011 by Palgrave Macmillan Trade

The Launch Pad by Randall E. StrossThe Founder's Dilemma by Noam WassermanHow to Create the Next Facebook by Tom TaulliCrossing the Chasm by Geoffrey A. MooreThe Art Of Software Innovation by Minna Pikkarainen
Venture Capital
13th out of 39 books — 3 voters
The Jetstream of Success by Julian PencilliahSecret to Startup Failure by Sonia LinBuilt to Last by Jim CollinsDelivering Happiness by Tony HsiehEntrepreneur's Guide to Starting a Business by Enodare
Essential Reading for Startup Founders
48th out of 54 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Herve
As I wrote in my previous post on a few Indian tech start-ups, I just read The Startup Game by Bill Draper. In general, that kind of books is of average quality, this one is much above the average, though this is just my personal feeling. I like what is written and here my summary.

Bill Draper is one of the fathers of venture capital and belongs to a interesting genealogy. His father was a grandfather of VC and his son is currenlty an active investor

More in the chapters of my book about venture c...more
Lucas
I like the stories about specific companies, though there wasn't enough on failures- the failure to success rate for each venture is maybe about 5-10 to 1 but the coverage in this book reverses that ratio.

Overly positive and un-self-critical attitude of entire book is wearisome, maybe a book written by a journalist instead of this borderline auto-biography would be more balanced.

The chapters that weren't about venture capital or lacked detail weren't very good. There are probably a million diff...more
Abhineet Kumar
I liked this book for two reasons:

- Insight into how Silicon Valley works, and its history as well as where it is headed.

- Knowledge about the VC industry, as well as what's in an entrepreneurial DNA.

I think its a quick read with interesting stories.

Tie Kim
Fabulous insights from one of the most eminent venture capitalists who also is a terrific storyteller. This book is replete with sage advice on characteristics to seek when selecting a business partner, appraising leadership talent, and common mistakes to avoid.

There are some memorable quotes sprinkled throughout the books and some of my favorites are listed below.

* Mark Twain: "Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is."
* Japanese proverb: "Vision without action is a daydream. Action...more
Alice O'herin
Highly informative for someone without deep industry knowledge about VC. Highly informative to learn about the key traits VCs look for, to understand the relationship between VCs and their fundees, and the startup space. It dwelt more on the biographical and philosophical than I expected, but I enjoyed the heavy emphasis on strong moral fiber and ethics within business. In particular, I was interested in the last chapter on the Draper Richard Foundation.
Travis
If you are looking for how to be an entrepreneur or venture capitalist this isn't the book for you, but if you are looking for intimate details and enriching stories in the lives of some of the greatest entrepreneurs and venture capitalists then this is where to get it. It is very much an autobiographical book which I found interesting, but I can see where some people might be looking for the keys to success and be disappointed.
John
A neat story from the family that founded venture capital (father), that launched the first international VC fund (writer) and launched the first international VC network (the son) - PLUS interesting journeys into some of the history of the 20th century - such as the Berlin Lift, Marshal Plan. One of the few books in this category that would interest my business colleagues AND my Dad !!
Stephanie Sun
Read at the risk of finding yourself liking an adorable Republican.

It won't change your life or enable you to instantly found, run, or even find a multimillion dollar business, so approach with realistic expectations. This is a candid, civilized, very personal, introductory take on the life of a Silicon Valley VC from one of the men who invented the job description.
Nadine Brown
3/18/11 finished. Read first 8 chapters; skimmed rest. Gained insight into Draper's character, networking vital in vc/startup environment; traits of good leader other things vc's look for. Better understand funding rounds.
Can not wait to share info in next interview, of course, to impress. :)

Just skimming for networking ideas.
Phyllis
Just finished reading my Uncle Bill's new book and it was quite fun! If you or anyone you know is an entrepreneur, this is a good combo business book/memoir. And if you're interested in great stories of the financial founding of Silicon Valley, he's the one to tell the stories. Enjoy!
Opengraphtestuser
Fantastic and fun - more of an autobiography than a tutorial but definitely worth reading for anyone living in/interested in Silicon Valley and its history.
Trevor
The author's tone is so smug and self-congratulatory that the book is unreadable. Would not recommend under any circumstance
Emrecan Dogan
Half autobio, half insights into startups. The part that I liked the most was on social ventures.
Dondi Hananto
great first-person view of the world of venture capital financing
Richard Bravman
Inspiring and instructive.
Brian C Jarvis
Brian C Jarvis is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2014
nairboon
nairboon marked it as to-read
J C
J C marked it as to-read
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Vikram Janardhan
Vikram Janardhan marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Konstantin Nikulin
Konstantin Nikulin marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Roberto
Roberto marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Azeem Malik
Azeem Malik marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
  • Mastering the VC Game: A Venture Capital Insider Reveals How to Get from Start-up to IPO on Your Terms
  • Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
  • The Score Takes Care of Itself: My Philosophy of Leadership
  • The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Startups That Win
  • The Founder's Dilemmas: Anticipating and Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Sink a Startup
  • Venture Deals: Be Smarter Than Your Lawyer and Venture Capitalist
  • Tough Choices: A Memoir
  • The Corner Office: Indispensable and Unexpected Lessons from CEOs on How to Lead and Succeed
  • Dogfight: How Apple and Google Went to War and Started a Revolution
  • Stirring It Up: How to Make Money and Save the World
  • The Start-Up of You: Adapt to the Future, Invest in Yourself, and Transform Your Career
  • The Discipline of Market Leaders: Choose Your Customers, Narrow Your Focus, Dominate Your Market
  • Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Practice and Principles
  • Talking Right: How Conservatives Turned Liberalism into a Tax-Raising, Latte-Drinking, Sushi-Eating, Volvo-Driving, New York Times- Reading, Body-Piercing, Hollywood-Loving, Left-Wing Freak Show
  • The Hustle: One Team and Ten Lives in Black and White
  • J.R.: My Life as the Most Outspoken, Fearless, and Hard-Hitting Man in Hockey
  • Inside the Tornado: Strategies for Developing, Leveraging, and Surviving Hypergrowth Markets
  • A Band of Misfits: Tales of the 2010 San Francisco Giants
Human Development Report 1990 University Extension - A Survey of Fifty Years 1873-1923 Feeding The Mind (Collected Works Of Lewis Carroll) The Measure of America: American Human Development Report, 2008-2009 All Creatures of Our God and King