Start by marking “Curtains: Adventures of an Undertaker-in-Training” as Want to Read:
Curtains: Adventures of an Undertaker-in-Training

Curtains: Adventures of an Undertaker-in-Training

In the tradition of "Stiff" and "The Undertaking": Tom JokinenOCOs year as an apprentice undertaker offers an enlightening, lively, and surprisingly funny trip through the business of death
Published March 23rd 2010 by Da Capo Press (first published March 9th 2010)

Julie
Jun 15, 2011 Julie rated it liked it
There are only two certain things in this world, so the saying goes, death and taxes. But what happens to us after we die but before we reach our final resting place, wherever that may be? What happens to our bodies in the hands of undertakers and funeral directors? That's what Tom Jokinen, a CBC radio producer from Winnipeg, set out to discover when he took a leave of absence to apprentice in a local funeral home/crematorium.

The opening chapters of the book discuss, as you might expect, Jokinen
Jeff
Jan 23, 2012 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an interesting book! Starts out laugh-out-loud funny in the vein of offbeat novelists like Bill Bryson or Carl Hiassen, then transforms into an in-depth look at the funeral industry and the salesmen who work in it and how they ply their trade, then finishes with metaphysical musings on alternative ways to look at death. I think the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the book should be required reading for everyone (everyone who plans on dying someday), and the last part of the book is well worth the effor ...more
Katie Shaw
This book was interesting. It definitely gave me a different outlook on death and the funeral industry. I was disappointed however that the author focused the majority of the book on the struggles of the funeral business. I was expecting more "adventures" so to speak.
Marie
Jun 06, 2010 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Curtains: Adventures of an Undertaker-in-Training, Tom Jokinen takes us behind the scenes of the funeral home business. He presents the options, the various traditions, the embalming, the burial, some of the history and much more. It's all there. No more wondering what goes on behind all of those curtains. Jokinen wrote this book after being an apprentice undertaker at a Winnipeg funeral home.

I really, really enjoyed reading this book. The only creepy thing about it was the fact that I enjoy
Sue Smith
Jan 08, 2011 Sue Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know, death isn't funny. It isn't supposed to be funny. And it is something we all have to address at some time in our life, whether through the deaths of family or friends or one's own pending doom. But this book was - well - funny! Trully looking at the whole scheme of things at the end of ones's life before you're trying to deal with it all and your emotions, is not a bad thing to do. Especially with a dose of funny. (And isn't that what Mary Poppins says to do - a spoonful of sugar helps ...more
Carol
May 12, 2012 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, non-fiction
'Curtains' by Tom Jokinen is a very engrossing book. I had read Jessica Mitford's 'American Way of Death' in 1987 and wondered what more could he say. He covered some subjects that were not in Jessica Mitford's book and I felt that learned a lot.

Tom Jokinen quit his job as a radio producer to find out what it is like to be an undertaker in training. The two first things that he learned were:

1. Make sure that you are picking up the right body at the "silver doors". They were silver; the doors to
Sally Kilpatrick
Spoiler alert: this isn't exactly the feel good book of the year. (Please don't flag me, Goodreads, I'm not really spoiling anything. It's nonfiction.) I can't seem to like this book as much as I want to, but I think that's okay. I have two main bones of contention. First, the book feels disjointed at times. Even the ending where I think Jokinen makes some very nice points, doesn't quite give the resolution I was hoping for. That said, the undertaker he's shadowing makes the excellent point that ...more
Peter Roach
Apr 29, 2011 Peter Roach rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone over 40
Tina Hamilton
Jun 23, 2010 Tina Hamilton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tina by: Powells Bookstore in Portland, Oregon
My review: A sometimes graphic, but always humane (and sometimes witty) study of the death industry and how it is changing as baby boomers turn more and more to cremation. Interesting note: some funeral directors have changed careers to providing services for pet deaths. As one man put it, "Some people spend more on their pets than their family members." Hmm. . . Give one pause.

WARNING: The book is not for the squeamish.

What follows is a fair review from Booklist: (NOTE: ellipsis and brackets m
Samantha
Jul 18, 2010 Samantha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed. I am fascinated by death and everything that goes with it. Jokinen takes time off of his radio job to join the world of undertakers. Admittedly, I wanted the down and dirty. What happens to my body after I die? Most of my questions are highly philosophical and theological and I didn't expect to get them answered in at book like this (if ever, at all!), but this book, while informative in some regards, largely focused on the history of the funeral industry and the problems the ...more
Andres
Apr 18, 2010 Andres rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No pun intended but this book is surprisingly full of deadpan humor about what you would consider a very humorless subject: the funeral industry. And make no mistake, burying the dead is no different than any other business where everything is geared to making a tidy profit.

The author chronicles his adventures working for a small, independently run funeral home and uses the experience to observe, comment, and reflect on the industry as a whole. It has a Canadian locale but pretty much stand for
Brittanie
This was a really interesting, often funny look at the modern North American funeral industry from someone who didn't grow up around the business. Jokinen has a raw, dry humour that works well with the subject and I found myself laughing more than once, which really made this book all the more enjoyable. I also learned a lot about the ins and outs of the business side of death and it made me think about what I would want for my own (hopefully not in the near future) funeral and burial.
While the
Aishe
I am generally not a fan of non-fiction, except when it comes to anything dealing with human bodies. It's the public health advocate in me, I suppose. This book sucked me in. I couldn't put it down. Tom Jokinen is an excellent writer and explores his own relationship with impending mortality as he explains the burgeoning options now on offer for the death care industry. He keeps away from the cryogenic and neo-pyramid cults and sticks to the real issues, embalm, casket, cremate, inter, grave mar ...more
D.m. Grace
Apr 11, 2012 D.m. Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sometimes humorous, sometimes disturbing look at the funeral industry from a man that left a career in radio to study the art of being an undertaker. Throughout the book, you learn along with Tom Jokinen, about the customs and rituals, how sometimes in the office, the funeral home workers are dancing (respectfully) and that inside those sombre walls there are conflicts and posturing for position, just like every other workplace.

Mr. Jokinen also delves into the business side of the funeral ind
Librariasaurus
Jul 27, 2011 Librariasaurus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Librariasaurus by: Michael Kitson
This was not a book I expected to enjoy. But I found myself deeply interested in everything Jokinen wrote about, morbidly interested in fact. Although, I have come to learn, purely through reading this book that there is NOTHING morbid about death. Not in Winnipeg anyway. Being an undertaker is a vital role in society and one that is greatly overlooked. Staff at a funeral home become family and their work is greatly undervalued. I think that when I die, I'd like my ever after to be handled by so ...more
Shonna Froebel
Nov 25, 2012 Shonna Froebel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian
Jokinen is a journalist who has worked on a number of CBC shows. When his family relocated to Winnipeg, he decided to do a project on the business of dying. He began working with a family-owned funeral home with its own crematorium. As he learned more about the business, he also delved into literature about it, and travelled to other locations to see what trends were developing in the industry.
His account is personal yet informative, humorous yet respectful. This is an industry few of us know mu
Misty
Apr 11, 2011 Misty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really quite good, it left me knowing that I need to pre-arrange my funeral so that my loved ones are not burdened and therefore convinced to pay for more than what is needed. The funeral industry has been in the business of making rich men richer and exploiting the grief of people for so long, and this book was fabulous at illustrating their current state of anxiety. Cremations are cheaper than burials and more and more people are choosing to be cremated. Funeral home owners are n ...more
Tracey
Nov 04, 2012 Tracey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. The tone was just right and it was informative as well as entertaining with some good doses of laughter. You really do need to inject some humour into this kind of subject and he does it well. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't already read "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach. That is an outstanding book. I loved it. Not for the squeamish. I suppose I shouldn't compare because one is more about the industry and the other is more an explo ...more
Brian
Mar 09, 2012 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that covers the period of time from death to eternity(almost). It describes, sometimes in vivid detail, what happens at the funeral home, both actual sales/embalming, and during cremation. It is written in a lighthearted way, sometimes, and in a serious way at other times. It describes the funeral business in great detail, leaving nothing out. It describes the past, present and also the future of the funeral business.
I think a book like this should be required reading for anyone w
Gail Burns
I've only just begun this book and already found myself chuckling at its pared back honesty. I'm glad I have a black sense of humour and can laugh a story which deals with a subject most people would rather not know much about. Tom's early ridiculous efforts to manage the tasks of an undertaker effectively are a scream. He manages to couch the horror most people feel at the details of this end of things into his amusing observations and experiences. I'm looking forward to absorbing every word.
Concertina
Llegue a este libro por recomendación, una persona hace un cambio tan drástico de profesión y no esperaba historias morbosas si no una confesión muy clara de cómo es para alguien modificar sus hábitos de vida, sus habilidades por algo tan diferente.
Tiene una conclusión bastante llegadora, bastante humana (supongo) pero al fin y al cabo muy obvia, sí los mortuarios son humanos y quieren hacer bien su trabajo...
Cheryl
Jul 25, 2010 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Tom Jokinen took a job as a paid intern for an undertaker in Winnipeg, Canada. In this book, Jokinen details the process that takes place between death and the final disposition of human remains. The result is a sometimes humorous, yet fascinating glimpse into the profession of undertakers as they strive to give meaning to life and death in our society with its diverse and continually changing attitudes. A very worthwhile read!
Alissa Hodgson weichel
An interesting look at "the gap" - the time between when we die and the next time our loved one see us; at our "funeral". I didn't expect that I would get as involved in this book as I did, but Tom asks questions of us that we would not otherwise ask ourselves...it does something not many books do; makes us think! Well done and worth the read!
Tia
Nov 21, 2011 Tia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written and humorous look at the current state of affairs in the after-care business. Very Manitoba/Winnipeg centric. I felt like running over to some of the places he mentioned after reading, just to make the connection with the book that much more real.
Fred
Feb 26, 2010 Fred rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: da-capo-press
The ratings on Goodreads always give me some trouble, because I think books often fall between one category and another. Was the book "amazing" in the way that some of my all-time favorites are? Not quite. But it gave me so many wonderfully rendered scenes and so much food for thought that it ranks just above the "really like it" rating. So I'm rounding up, and may we all be so lucky to have generosity provide us more than rigid definitions saddle us with less.

The subject matter is is extremely
Douglas Lord
Oct 22, 2015 Douglas Lord rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jokinen gathered material for this by taking a month off his Winnipeg journalist job (go Blue Bombers!!) to intern as an undertaker. Though it shares similarities with Mary Roach’s Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, this also details what it’s like to be on the other end of the business. The result is a readable, dare I say enjoyable, behind-the-scenes look at ‘What Actually Happens to Your Body at The End.’ Far from just mechanics (of which we get plenty), Jokinen details how it feels ...more
Doriana Bisegna
Tom Jokinen really did his research for writing this book. While it was very a funny look into the funeral industry, the sad part is that it is a business like any other. The behind the scenes was a bit grim but on the whole very eye opening! This is not a serious book but it does make us aware of what options are out there and does try to avoid scams and gimmicks for the reader...while you're laughing!
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
With a teaser like this:

"If Bill Bryson were to join a funeral home as an apprentice, and if he searched for the meaning of life and death while he was at it, you'd have Curtains."

I was really looking forward to reading Curtains - Adventures of an Undertaker in Training by author Tom Jokinen. Tom tells it like it is, and writes about the funeral industry and the inner workings of one particular funeral home that he works in.

Tom works as an assistant in all duties performed in the funeral home, f
Andrew McMillen
This is an entertaining book written by a 44 year-old Canadian radio producer and video-journalist about his time working as an apprentice undertaker at a family funeral home. While rooted heavily in Jokinen's own experiences handling the dead and the grieving, and picking up on the idiosyncrasies of his colleagues and their paths into the industry, the book gives him license to explore broader questions around the death-care industry, such as the relatively recent rise of cremation, and how fun ...more
Mazola1
Aug 27, 2010 Mazola1 rated it liked it
There is a Buddhist meditation technique in which the meditator visualizes gruesome and repulsive images of death and the decay of the body. While it is likely that few people would wish to undertake this particular form of meditation, it is likely that most people, once in a while, perhaps in the middle of a restless night, contemplate their own death and what will happen to their body after they die. Tom Jokinen's book answers that question. It is not for the squeamish.

Jokinen worked and train
  • Mortuary Confidential: Undertakers Spill the Dirt
  • Body Brokers: Inside America's Underground Trade in Human Remains
  • When We Die : The Science, Culture, and Rituals of Death
  • The Whole Death Catalog: A Lively Guide to the Bitter End
  • Working IX to V: Orgy Planners, Funeral Clowns, and Other Prized Professions of the Ancient World
  • Epileptic 1 [L'Ascension du Haut Mal, 1-3]
  • Empires of Food: Feast, Famine, and the Rise and Fall of Civilization
  • Grave Matters: A Journey Through the Modern Funeral Industry to a Natural Way of Burial
  • Postmortem: How Medical Examiners Explain Suspicious Deaths
  • Aftermath, Inc.: Cleaning Up After CSI Goes Home
  • Thinning the Herd: Tales Of The Weirdly Departed
  • Down Among the Dead Men: A Year in the Life of a Mortuary Technician
  • Doctors: The Biography of Medicine
  • Cemetery Stories: Haunted Graveyards, Embalming Secrets, and the Life of a Corpse After Death
  • The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 9
  • Forget Sorrow: An Ancestral Tale
  • The Gift of Good Land: Further Essays Cultural and Agricultural
  • The Dead Beat: Lost Souls, Lucky Stiffs, and the Perverse Pleasures of Obituaries
Tom Jokinen was a veteran radio producer and video-journalist with the Canadian Broadcasting Corp., having worked on Morningside, Counterspin with Avi Lewis and Definitely Not the Opera, among many other CBC shows, when he set it all aside in 2006 to be an apprentice undertaker at a family-run funeral home and crematorium in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

This drastic vocational change at the age of 44 provid
More about Tom Jokinen...

“Scatter where you want, bury where you wish, but do something with intent, don't be passive and follow what commissioned pre-need salesmen consider the norm. Use your imagination, balance your own spiritual beliefs with guesswork, but do the work: accept that we know nothing about death, take a leap of faith, and have the courage to act anyway.” 3 likes
“You should respect death and respect the dead, not out of fear, but because it's the proper human thing to do.” 2 likes