Start by marking “The Tarot” as Want to Read:
The Tarot

The Tarot

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The Tarot is one of the few books that cuts through conventional misperceptions to explore the Tarot deck as it really developed in the Middle Ages and Renaissance Europe-not, as some would suggest, in the far reaches of Egyp-tian antiquity. Mining the Hermetic, alchemical, and Neoplatonic influences behind the evolution of the deck, author Robert M. Place provides a histo ...more
Published March 17th 2005 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about The Tarot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tarot

Sasha
Jun 18, 2008 Sasha rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those already familiar with the basics of tarot
Recommended to Sasha by: Robert Place
Shelves: nonfiction, own, spirit
I bought this book after meeting the author briefly. He told me about how he reads spreads, and I was so impressed that I bought his book, despite the fact that its immediate appearance did not distinguish it from dozens of other books on tarot. I am so glad that I did get this book. It fills a gap in my knowledge of the tarot that was bothering me, and I hardly even realized it.

The book goes over the beginnings of the tarot in a clear and comprehensive way. The basic origins of the playing car
Jim Wickson
The Tarot is one of the most distorted and misrepresented of all cultural artifacts. All too many writers pushing the divinatory uses of these cards, cling to outdated myths and pseudo-history. Place's mostly accurate and exceptional book on Tarot history is a breath of fresh air.

The earliest Tarot cards appeared in northern Italy during the 15th century and they were originally used to play a trick taking card game. What many now call the "Major Arcana" were intended to be a trump suit in this
Rachael Sherwood
This is quite an interesting book. It is a very well researched history of the Tarot, but unlike many historic accounts, does not dismiss its mystical origins entirely. Place is a respected deck creator (known for the Alchemical Tarot and the Buddha Tarot, among others) and a nice side feature in the book is that when he didn't have the rights to print an image of a card, he drew his own version.

Place thoroughly debunks the French and later English occultists ridiculous theories of the origins o
This book is a plain language and really fascinating intro to Tarot that doesn't sensationalize or mystify anything. I'm learning a lot about philosophy and the healthy growth and exchange of ideas through the ages and places more than anything at this point, but I do expect that once I look at a tarot deck and try to use one it will come in useful as well for my growth as a person...we'll see.
Gail Katz
If you've ever been interested in Tarot cards, this is a must read. Author Robert Plan documents historical references better than anything I've ever read. Whether it is Plato, Jung, medieval theories, and Renaissance writers, the coverage makes sense.

Another aspect of this book is Plant's use of the Waite Tarot cards which are the mostwell known of the many versions of the Tarot
Allie
fascinating, even if you're not interested in the tarot specifically. Place's research and insights into Neoplatonism and symbolism in early Renaissance art makes this well worth the read.
Jim
This book is well-written and a joy to read. I would give it 4.5 stars, as it is. If it had full-color illustrations it would easily be 5 stars.
Susan
Probably one of the very best books on the tarot. Fascinating, beautifully illustrated, and well-written.
James
This book presents some fascinating information--most books on the tarot only describe their interpretations of the cards, but Place has obviously done considerable research to bolster his claims. It's a well informed book.

Unfortunately, that's all that's going for this one. I'm a fast reader, but it took me a long time to get through this one. It's endlessly repetitive; Place restates his thesis (that the tarot is not an ancient text) continuously, and many other important pieces of his thesis
Duke
For this guy, antiquated equates to authoritative, despite his belief that the major arcana are archetypal.
Joseph (Millennium Man)
Easy to read, History , Symbolism and Divination.
Rob
A very scholarly and granular view of Tarot.
Kittie Lassiter grimm
Kittie Lassiter grimm marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Mariah
Mariah marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Soubam Indrakumar
Soubam Indrakumar marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Elisabeth Kauffman
Elisabeth Kauffman is currently reading it
Dec 05, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Carli
Carli marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Allispin
Allispin is currently reading it
Nov 03, 2014
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Michelle Harris
Michelle Harris marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
  • Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom
  • The Tarot: A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages
  • Mary K. Greer's 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card
  • Understanding the Tarot Court
  • Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot: An Authoritative Examination of the World's Most Fascinating and Magical Tarot Cards
  • Jung and Tarot: An Archetypal Journey
  • Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners
  • The Complete Guide to the Tarot
  • Way of Tarot: The Spiritual Teacher in the Cards, The
  • The Mythic Tarot
  • Tarot Plain and Simple
  • Tarot Spells
  • The Magician's Companion: A Practical and Encyclopedic Guide to Magical and Religious Symbolism (Llewellyn's Sourcebook)
  • Pictorial Key to the Tarot
  • Meditations on the Tarot: A Journey into Christian Hermeticism
  • The Tarot Handbook
  • The Symbolism of the Tarot: Philosophy of Occultism in Pictures and Numbers
  • The Chemical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz
The Vampire Tarot The Alchemical Tarot: Renewed Alchemy and the Tarot: An Examination of the Historical Connection with a Guide to the Alchemical Tarot The Buddha Tarot [With PouchWith Booklet] Tarot Of The Saints