Start by marking “Basic Butchering of Livestock & Game” as Want to Read:
Basic Butchering of Livestock & Game

Basic Butchering of Livestock & Game

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  215 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This guide takes the mystery out of butchering, covering everything you need to know to produce your own expert cuts of beef, venison, pork, lamb, poultry, and small game. John J. Mettler Jr. provides easy-to-follow instructions that walk you through every step of the slaughtering and butchering process, as well as plenty of advice on everything from how to dress game in a ...more
Paperback
Published January 10th 1986 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Basic Butchering of Livestock & Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basic Butchering of Livestock & Game

Bryan Lee
Sep 29, 2015 Bryan Lee rated it really liked it
Good introduction to butchering and covers all the basics, but I would like to get more in depth when reading. I'll actually have to jump back into butchering...like we did in the fall when I was a kid.
Elie
Jul 13, 2013 Elie rated it really liked it
Shelves: meat-and-dairy
A good reference if you already have some experience in butchering. Or a good starting point if you are learning to butcher. I don't think there is enough information to feel competent to butcher with no previous knowledge. But the shorter length makes for an awesome reminder. Or a quick reference for how things work differently for different animals.
Jason Rempel
Oct 09, 2012 Jason Rempel rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It is what the title suggests, a basic introduction to butchering. I found it a good outline but I wanted a more in depth guide with greater detail in the illustrations and pictures. All in all, it is a good introduction to the subject.
Matt
Nov 05, 2007 Matt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking-food
Exactly what the title claims and no less. This book takes you from stunning and slaughtering to breaking an animal into primal and sub-primal cuts. Fantastic if you're looking to learn.
Erin
My brother in law has this book; I flipped through it over Christmas and wanted to read it in a bit more depth. Made me realize just how little I know about things like hunting.
Vextha Clarke
Nov 10, 2008 Vextha Clarke rated it liked it
I quickly scanned through this for reference. Needed a little bit of know how and insight for my writing. I can say, this book was really helpful in that aspect.
Fredrick Danysh
Butchering is an artform. The author shows the reader how to break down and process the carcasses of meat, fish, and fowl for the best results.
halima duncan
Nov 05, 2010 halima duncan rated it liked it
such helpful illustrations. i want to use it.
joseph g barnhart
joseph g barnhart rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Jay
Jay rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
Brian Matlock
Brian Matlock rated it liked it
May 14, 2016
Nathan Byrd
Nathan Byrd marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Morgan Kennedy
Morgan Kennedy marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Jeffrey Figaro
Jeffrey Figaro rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
MaxTbg
MaxTbg marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Robyn
Robyn rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Spectraz
Spectraz marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Kelly Neves
Kelly Neves marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Willow
Willow marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Lory
Lory marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Glenda Lacey
Glenda Lacey rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Donegal
Donegal marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Daniel Watterson
Daniel Watterson rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Nick Buckshaw
Nick Buckshaw marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Brynn
Brynn rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
  • A Guide to Canning, Freezing, Curing & Smoking Meat, Fish & Game
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Pigs: Care/Facilities/Management/Breed Selection
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats: Breeds, Care, Dairying
  • The Encyclopedia of Country Living
  • Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An All-Natural Approach to Raising Chickens and Other Fowl for Home and Market Growers
  • The Rodale Book of Composting: Easy Methods for Every Gardener
  • Backyard Orchardist: A Complete Guide to Growing Fruit Trees in the Home Garden
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
  • Rocket Mass Heaters: Superefficient Woodstoves You Can Build
  • Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills
  • Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • You Can Farm: The Entrepreneur's Guide to Start and Succeed in a Farm Enterprise
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times