Start by marking “Augustus Caesar's World” as Want to Read:
Augustus Caesar's World

Augustus Caesar's World

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,309 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Considered the innovator of "horizontal history," Genevieve Foster became frustrated when her two school-aged children complained about the boring presentation of history in their school texts. This frustration led to Foster's first book, George Washington's World (1941). In her unique approach, Foster weaves a story of the world around her central character; rather than f ...more
Published June 1st 1996 by Beautiful Feet Bks (first published January 1st 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Augustus Caesar's World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Augustus Caesar's World

Lmichelleb
Jul 12, 2016 Lmichelleb rated it really liked it
At about halfway through, I now know that I really enjoy Genevieve Foster's storytelling style of relating history, following multiple notable people from one period and intertwining their stories. Augustus Caesar has never seemed like a real living, breathing person to me before, but in this account I feel I know him, to say nothing of Virgil, Mark Antony, Cleopatra, and Herod. I previewed this book to decide if I wanted my children to read it as part of their history lessons, but I'm walking a ...more
Sheryl Tribble
Mar 16, 2014 Sheryl Tribble rated it really liked it
Highly readable, I thought. Her religious stuff is wonky a lot -- her version of what Gautama Buddha taught is much closer to the modern Americanized version than what he actually said -- and she niceifys a lot (Tacitus wouldn't recognize her Livia). I would have liked to see the genealogy she posts page 306 as a frontispiece, or at least waaaaay earlier, because I have a hard time keeping track of who's related to who, and in what way.

Aside from religious stuff, and despite the fact that the b
Rick Davis
This is an extraordinary book. The way it presents history makes it ideal for using with children, but it is a good crash course for highschoolers or adults who want to brush up on their history of the Roman Empire as well. Unfortunately, though so adept at weaving history, Foster can't help but speak nonsense whenever she tries to explain or talk about various religions. Her modus operandi seems to be to ignore as much as possible any differences between various religions and to make it appear ...more
Carol Storm
May 14, 2016 Carol Storm rated it it was amazing
Reading this book in 5th or 6th grade was absolutely the best history experience I ever had in elementary school. Made me so much more confident tackling Shakespeare's Roman plays in High School.

Best History Book I Ever Read!
Eliana
May 30, 2016 Eliana rated it it was amazing
Augustus Caesar’s World Book Review:

Augustus Caesar’s World is a delightful read for the curious soul. Genevieve Foster does an exquisite job of telling history as a flowing story. She also does a lovely job of including the diverse stories, cultures, and religions of many unique nations. While simultaneously, illustrating their similarities.
Foster writes in a very unbiased style when it comes to religion. Which I prefer in a history book. That said, Foster takes some liberties and the presenta
Rachel Worley
Aug 04, 2014 Rachel Worley rated it really liked it
This was the second book I read for my Omnibus IV Secondary Summer class.

I definitely enjoyed "Augustus Caesar's World". Genevieve Foster wrote "horizontal history" so that she not only covered events in Rome during Augustus Caesar's life, but also around the world surrounding his lifetime. So the narrative would often jump from the life of the Caesars in Rome to the life of Jesus Christ to the Palestinian Jewish Zealots and other events that impacted history during that time.

My favorite section
Nicole
Jan 20, 2008 Nicole rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teens and adults
Genevieve Foster's writing is easy to understand and digest, and her presentation of history in narrative form definitely holds the reader's attention, while her drawings add charm and interest. A fascinating look at what was going on not only in the Roman Empire, but in other civilizations during the life of Augustus Caesar. This book was written for young adults but I learned a lot from it as an adult.
Eva
Oct 07, 2012 Eva rated it it was amazing
Great primer on world history during the first century. Age appropriate content for grade school children. A great refresher to create or revive an interest in Roman History. Love all of Foster's books for this purpose. There are no footnotes or bibliography, so if you question her accuracy, you will need to "google".
Keeshi
Apr 25, 2009 Keeshi rated it really liked it
I recently read this with my nine year old daughter. Up until now, she hasn’t been a great fan of reading history, but this book was interesting enough for her that she would request that I read it.

Foster’s writing style is a little stilted, but the story doesn’t suffer for it. The content is rich with vignettes into the lives of the various characters around Augustus Caesar throughout his life, as well as explanations about the people who lived at the edges of the Roman Empire during his reign.
LeAnn
Apr 24, 2009 LeAnn rated it it was amazing
Stories and the characters who people them are powerful tools for bringing history to life. In Augustus Caesar's World, Genevieve Foster uses this technique to weave together multiple cultures touched by the Roman Empire during the period from 31 B.C. to 14 A.D. Children will come away with a better grasp on who the major players, events, and religious beliefs than they would from a fractured study of multiple books and time lines. Adults too will find that Foster has presented them with a view ...more
Emma Filbrun
Oct 27, 2015 Emma Filbrun rated it really liked it
We are currently studying the Roman Empire. The last time we went through this level of Sonlight, they had Augustus Ceasar’s World scheduled in. They have now deleted it, but since we already have the book and enjoyed it the last time through, I decided we would read it again. Genevieve Foster does a masterful job of making history into a fascinating story.

Read my full review here.

Mel
Nov 20, 2012 Mel rated it it was ok
this book covers the world during the time period of Octavian/Augustus Caesear's world, (just as the title says).
So it includes Julius Caesar's relationship with Cleopatra. Then her relationship with Antony. The struggle Octavian had with Antony to follow in Julius's footsteps. The gods Roman's worshiped; and there were A LOT! The book covers: Virgil, Pythagoras, Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle, the Mayans, Lao Tzu, Confucius,and Buddha, Tiberius, and the German tribe that killed three legions o
David
Apr 29, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
What a great book for introducing junior high or high school students to the ancient world at the end of the first century B.C.! Incorporating history and culture, Genevieve Foster connects the busy and self-important civilization of Rome to the more humble province of Judea which is anxiously awaiting a Messiah. Very readable yet full of interesting details.
Ryan
Dec 17, 2012 Ryan rated it it was ok
Foster puts an interesting twist on the conventional method of writing history by employing a kind of historical parallelism--that is, she explains the events in Rome as Octavian was slowly becoming emperor, but she then turns and looks at China, India, and Persia to relate some of the significant political and religious changes/events in those countries. She does an excellent job of describing all of the important events of the time period, as well as adding some hypothetical details about a ch ...more
Larinmtz
Jun 05, 2015 Larinmtz rated it it was ok
As history goes, there is some interest, although also some embellishing. Her bias shows through in her presentation of the various religions. A great opportunity to teach a young person how to see when a writer has an agenda to push.
Danielle
Apr 03, 2013 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sonlight
This was an outstanding book to use for ancient history. It covers from 44BC to 30 AD with exceptional story telling and language that kept a 14yo all the way to 6yo engaged. I particularly liked how it weaved the Biblical history we are so familiar with, along with the Roman history, giving me a fuller understanding of how the world functioned at the time of Christ. Knowing the major players, from the first Caesar to Constantine, as characters in a story, truly made this history jump off the pa ...more
Carol
Apr 14, 2016 Carol added it
Shelves: homeschool-books
Loved this one. Ties the life of Christ into history nicely.
Julia Lee
May 12, 2016 Julia Lee rated it really liked it
Great book to teach early Roman Empire history!
Nolan
Dec 11, 2013 Nolan added it
This was a wonderful book not only because of the unique perspective on Augustus Caesar, but also the representation of the events circling his lifetime: Buddha, Confucius, Jesus Christ's life, and the Jewish uprising are just a few of these events.
Foster, the author, seemed to believe that all religions lead to heaven, though she might seem to come off as a Christian at first. I would strongly disagree with her on the idea that all religions will end in heaven. This is still a terrific book,
Claire West
Jan 27, 2016 Claire West rated it really liked it
This is another book I read for school (Omnibus IV, Veritas Press). I really enjoyed it. Good writing and the storytelling-feel is nice.
Ashley
Oct 10, 2013 Ashley rated it liked it
This book was written over 60 years ago so I expected it to be outdated. It is still a beautiful and very usable book written in the narrative style, making history accessible and engaging for children. I particularly appreciated how the author presented a parallel view of the history of the world, explaining what was happening in the Americas, Egypt, China, and Japan as the main events were unfolding around the Mediterranean.
Olivia
Jan 19, 2014 Olivia rated it really liked it
good history stories for younger readers
Aneesa
Jul 19, 2010 Aneesa rated it really liked it
Not done, and I gave up. I kept beginning and never finished.--but really enjoying reading this book with the boys. The funniest thing was the review that I came across that said, "It was good, but it had a lot of facts." ISN'T THAT THE POINT??!!!!!! So we are reading this book for the historical--and it is a LITTLE too over the boys' heads, but we're really learning a lot.
Julie
Sep 24, 2008 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, own, home-school
I initially enjoyed this book and enjoyed reading it with the kids; however, as time went on, I fell out of love with it. Part of that is due to the fact that our history studies have taken us into The Dark Ages, and Augustus Caesar just doesn't seem relevant anymore.

If you enjoy reading about this period in history, though, this book brings it to life.
Kara
Dec 19, 2010 Kara rated it really liked it
Shelves: schoolbooks, sonlight
Our family has really enjoyed Ms. Foster's books. They're so much more interesting than a typical history text. We really appreciate her unique approach of taking a "slice" of world history based on a prominent individual's life. It really helps tie events around the world together and gives perspective to what happened when.
Regina
Jan 18, 2011 Regina rated it really liked it
Great book for learning about Roman history in more of a story form. Jordy and I read this for 7th grade history assignment. I learned so much more than dates and places. Got to know the characters who shaped the world and the circumstances that shaped them. Looking forward to the next G. Foster book assignment.
Rick Pierce
Feb 21, 2015 Rick Pierce rated it it was amazing
Fantastic history book, her method of "horizontal history" is fascinating and very informative. Highly recommend her works
Candi
Oct 20, 2008 Candi rated it it was amazing
This was a great Christmas book. I was able to understand the background to world leaders and history around the time of Christ. It comes from a Christian perspective which was easy to share with my children. I learned tons, and will read it again... maybe next Christmas?
Mary Ann
May 31, 2010 Mary Ann rated it really liked it
This was my second time reading this aloud, this time to my youngest 3 7yo,11 yo & 13 yo. They liked it. It brings the dry History to life. I appreciate the way it ties in the world by including what was happening in Palestine, China and elsewhere.
Stephanie
Jan 17, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
This history book is written in an interesting and engaging style. One of the things I most appreciated about this book was that it helped me better understand the culture surrounding biblical accounts.
  • Archimedes & the Door of Science
  • The Children's Homer: The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy
  • Theras and His Town
  • Benjamin Franklin
  • The Trojan War
  • The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence, #2)
  • Hittite Warrior
  • Mystery of the Roman Ransom
  • Otto of the Silver Hand
  • A Child's History of the World
  • Ancient Times: From the Earliest Nomads to the Last Roman Emperor (The Story of the World #1)
  • Luther: Biography of a Reformer
  • Leonardo da Vinci
  • The Great and Terrible Quest
  • Cleopatra
  • The Golden Goblet
  • Whatever Happened to Penny Candy?
Genevieve Foster (1893-1979) wrote and illustrated nineteen books of history and biography before her death on August 30, 1979. In 1922, she married Orrington Foster, and they had two children: a boy (named after his father but called Tony) and a girl, Joanna, four years later.

Ms. Foster was fascinated by the idea of looking at history "horizontally" and seeing how events and the lives of people i
More about Genevieve Foster...