Start by marking “Doctor Sally” as Want to Read:
Doctor Sally

Doctor Sally

When Bill Bannister meets Dr Sally Smith, love blossoms immediately. Unfortunately there is just the small problem of Lottie Higginbotham, former actress, serial bride and human fireball, with whom Bill is already involved.The well-meaning interference of Bill's old friend, Squiffy Tidmouth, once married to Lottie, only complicates matters further, until everything is stra ...more
Published (first published April 7th 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Sally, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Sally

Anam Tahir
Jul 31, 2013 Anam Tahir rated it liked it
This is the first book of PG Woodehouse which i've ever read and it took me just a few hours to finish. It was really amazing to read. I found Bill the banister very confused throughout the book! And then his conversation with Dr. Sally! It was so funny! That I fell of my bed many times laughing.Now that I have started liking PG Woodehouse, I would go for more! =D
Jeremy
May 08, 2016 Jeremy rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, humor
Wodehouse is a new discovery for me and his novels are fun, light, larks with excellent humor and a romping use of the English language.
Ian Wood
Dec 08, 2007 Ian Wood rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Wodehouse fans only
Shelves: p-g-wodehouse
‘Doctor Sally’ was written at the height of Wodehouse’s powers as a novelist and yet as a novel it is one of his worst. The book was adapted from Wodehouse’s own play ‘Good Morning, Bill’ or more realistically wasn’t adapted from the play, it is the play with a few stage directions added between the dialogue.

I imagine it worked well as a play, the dialogue is absolutely fabulous, Lord Tidmouth or Squiffy’s reaction to his ex-wife Lottie realising Bill intends to break up with her ‘You’ve put the
Tom Cöle
Jan 28, 2016 Tom Cöle rated it it was ok
Sadly this novel's pretty disappointing and inconsequential. Like most people I imagine, I got started on Wodehouse with the Jeeves books and over the past year I've branched out to read a couple of the Blandings novels, The Luck of the Bodkins and - most recently - Laughing Gas. I've enjoyed everything I've read by the man, many of his books to the point of weeping with laughter, but sadly Doctor Sally is very definitely a minor work in the Wodehouse canon.

It's a short (120 pages, probably abou
Judy
Jul 22, 2012 Judy rated it liked it
This book was published in 1932 and it is an adaptation of Wodehouse's play, "Good Morning, Bill". This material reads like a play and I think that it actually would have been more effective on the stage than on the page. In fact, I didn't realize that this was an adapted play when I was reading, but in my mind, I was seeing it as a play. What saves the material is the genius of P.G. Wodehouse's dialogue and the zany situations that he creates. Bill Bannister, who has gone from one relationship ...more
Peer
Feb 09, 2017 Peer rated it really liked it
This one is very funny. Written according to the typical Wodehouse formula: put several (funny) characters together, create some misunderstandings and than solve it. I read the whole book with a smile.
Shantanu Kulkarny
Aug 22, 2007 Shantanu Kulkarny rated it really liked it
This was my first P.G. Wodehouse read..and I was hooked on to his style forever.

Sally is a smart, competent Doctor by profession and beautiful too, and Bill Banister, heir of a country manor house, can't help himself getting tangled over her all over the place. Sally however, dosen't take him too highly, thinking of him as a rich slacker and being averse to a honest day's work.

Adding to her impression of him is the fact that Bill is engaged to his best friend Lord "Squiffy" Tidmouth's ex-wife, L
Libbeth
Oct 21, 2008 Libbeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1992, humour
I will use this "review" for all the P. G. Wodehouse I have read. I read them all so long ago and enjoyed them so much that I have given them all 5 stars. As I re-read them I will adjust the stars accordingly, if necessary, and add a proper review.
When I first discovered P. G. Wodehouse I devoured every book I could find in the local library, throughout the eighties and early nineties. Alas, this means that I have read most of them and stumbling across one I have not read is a rare thing. I'm su
Cathy Bryant
Mar 04, 2016 Cathy Bryant rated it it was amazing
I had no idea that PG Wodehouse had written a book with a woman doctor as heroine. When I started it, I was a little apprehensive - what would he do with a female doctor? But I needn't have worried. Sally is fabulous (and an excellent doctor), and the book as a whole is marvellous, like good champagne just frothing over the edge of a proper champagne glass (flutes can get lost. Sorry - that's irrelevant to the book - but still). It's a glorious light farce and would make an excellent stage play. ...more
Matt
Mar 05, 2014 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Some great Wodehouse dialogue and setpieces with a welcome, unexpectedly PG or maybe even PG-13 relationship with sex, and a terrific lead in Doctor Sally Smith. But there are two demerits:
1. There are too many jokes in the beginning of the book that boil down to "A lady doctor?!?"
2. Most troublesome: the love interest for Sally is terrible. Not only is he a fairly boring loser (no, the last-second attempt to demonstrate he's not completely worthless is neither enough nor 100% convincing), he is
Julie
Jan 24, 2013 Julie rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2013
A friend passed this on to me after I had my accident...and I hadn't gotten to it...so during a bout with the flu...a light quick read looked inviting. I guess I am just not much a PG Wodehouse fan. I have tried a few times...the dialogue is witty and fun.... but much better suited for a play I think (as I guess this story was originally). For me, not enough time to breathe between all the discourse.
Jill Robertson
Aug 19, 2016 Jill Robertson rated it really liked it
'Doctor Sally' is a very slim, lightweight story, written in 1932 (though in the edition I read it says it was originally published as a play in 1927, which it's probably more suited to). But it's by P G Wodehouse and it's therefore a delight to spend a couple of hours with his characters, having a bit of a chuckle and, after the misunderstandings have been cleared up, feeling that all's right with the world. As 'Squiffy' Tidmouth would say, 'Poo-boop-a-doop.
Jessica
Jun 28, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels, fiction
A humourous, light-hearted tale of the hapless Bill and multi-talented Doctor Sally, and in typical Wodehousian form a cast of assorted memorable Dramatis Personae to bungle the plot and smooth the way.
It's not as brilliant as the Jeeves and Wooster novels, which are in a class all their own, but Doctor Sally is certainly worth spending a pleasant Saturday afternoon with.
F.R.
Jun 07, 2009 F.R. rated it really liked it
Ah the days when you could create comic situations from there being a female doctor...

To be fair Wodehouse is never the go-to writer for social commentary or realist situations, and this is a delightful bauble of a book with some fantastic lines. I've read this on a Sunday evening with the rain pouring down on London town, and this book has made my world feel sunny.
John
May 02, 2015 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting. Started life as a play (Good Morning, Bill) and later novelised by PGW with the dialogue pretty much intact. The novel is short and has a clear three act structure and limited number of characters. It therefore zips along quite nicely and has some nice bits of repartee. How shocking though that a woman should be a doctor!
Diva
Aug 10, 2011 Diva rated it it was amazing
a delightful single day read, thoroughly wodehouse. i even found my self getting up and doing something else for a while, to savour the conversations and to not finish the book too soon.
the Author knew love, better than any mills and boon book :D
Stig
I love Wodehouse, but this is very slight. It is a remake of a play (and not only that, but the play was based on the work of a Hungarian writer), and it shows. Wodehouse is never bad, but this is not Wooster or Blandings.
Liz
Apr 27, 2009 Liz rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Wodehouse lovers who can't stand the drawn out comedy
Recommended to Liz by: mum
Shelves: 2009
A lot of Wodehouse's non-Jeeves books I find hard to stick with. But this one was really funny without dragging on and on and on. Based on his play 'Good Morning, Bill', so that may be why it's shorter. Very funny.
Manuel Alfonseca
May 22, 2016 Manuel Alfonseca rated it it was ok
A short story, now quite outdated. Nobody would be surprised now to see a doctor who is a prettñy woman. But there are good gags too.

Note: this Sally has nothing to do with the Sally in The adventures of Sally
Leila
Mar 07, 2016 Leila rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 15 and up
I found this one not nearly as amusing as what Wodehouse typically writes.
Doctor Sally captivates young men as often as she attends to their medical needs. One in particular seems a nice chap, but she simply can't abide a man who doesn't work!
Jacqui
Jul 07, 2012 Jacqui rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-classic
What a great short story! Wodehouse is always amusing and there were plenty of laugh out loud moments in this little one. Things got a little annoying in the last conversation but up till then - great!
The Docta
It was good. Not much more to say about it than that.
S Prakash
May 04, 2016 S Prakash rated it did not like it
This book belongs to the list of some of the also forgettable stuff penned by Wodehouse. If this would be by chance someone's first book of Wodehouse than am very sure that it would be last as well..
Nazish
A terse capital read. Topping Comedy! One of the best roll-on-the-floor-laughing experience ever!
Nancy
Sep 18, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, fiction
I love PG Wodehouse. This one is short and very funny. Sean O'Casey says of PG Wodehouse, "English literature's performing flea!"
Starre Vartan
Feb 07, 2014 Starre Vartan rated it liked it
Jolly good fun and a good chuckle.
Sriparna N
Apr 16, 2016 Sriparna N rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
Hilarious, but I think Wodehouse went too far while portraying a caricature of the smart, intelligent, and modern young woman.
Deepika
Its a grt book.... juz lik d way d author describes d story....
Jason Mock
A quick, light romantic trifle by Wodehouse
Mike
Dec 12, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it
Great Story. Not long, but rather like watching an amusing play with great characters and an inevitable happy ending. Great antidote to numerous recently read dark thrillers.
  • P. G. Wodehouse: A Biography
  • Twisted Tales from Shakespeare
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • Whistling For The Elephants
  • A History of Philosophy 6: Modern Philosophy
  • My Year
  • Wry Martinis
  • Tiger By The Tail
  • Taking Sides (Sweet Valley High, #31)
  • The Viceroy of Ouidah
  • The Road To Ruin (Dortmunder, #11)
  • The Lord of the Rings Boxed Set
  • When the Sirens Wailed
  • A History of the Crusades, Vol. I: The First Crusade and the Foundations of the Kingdom of Jerusalem
  • The Collaborator
  • How the Trouble Started
  • A Breath of French Air
  • A Reformation Debate
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...

“Chumps always make the best husbands. When you marry, Sally, grab a chump. Tap his head first, and if it rings solid, don't hesitate. All the unhappy marriages come from husbands having brains. What good are brains to a man? They only unsettle him.” 94 likes
“Suiffy, have you ever felt a sort of strange emptiness in the heart? A sort of aching void of the soul?'

'Oh, rather!'

'What do you do about it?'

'I generally take a couple of cocktails.”
8 likes