Doctor Sally

Doctor Sally

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  28 reviews
When Bill Bannister meets Dr Sally Smith, love blossoms immediately. Unfortunately there is just the small problem of Lottie Higginbotham, former actress, serial bride and human fireball, with whom Bill is already involved.The well-meaning interference of Bill's old friend, Squiffy Tidmouth, once married to Lottie, only complicates matters further, until everything is stra...more
Published (first published April 7th 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Sally, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Sally

Anam Tahir
This is the first book of PG Woodehouse which i've ever read and it took me just a few hours to finish. It was really amazing to read. I found Bill the banister very confused throughout the book! And then his conversation with Dr. Sally! It was so funny! That I fell of my bed many times laughing.Now that I have started liking PG Woodehouse, I would go for more! =D
Matt
Some great Wodehouse dialogue and setpieces with a welcome, unexpectedly PG or maybe even PG-13 relationship with sex, and a terrific lead in Doctor Sally Smith. But there are two demerits:
1. There are too many jokes in the beginning of the book that boil down to "A lady doctor?!?"
2. Most troublesome: the love interest for Sally is terrible. Not only is he a fairly boring loser (no, the last-second attempt to demonstrate he's not completely worthless is neither enough nor 100% convincing), he is...more
Judy
This book was published in 1932 and it is an adaptation of Wodehouse's play, "Good Morning, Bill". This material reads like a play and I think that it actually would have been more effective on the stage than on the page. In fact, I didn't realize that this was an adapted play when I was reading, but in my mind, I was seeing it as a play. What saves the material is the genius of P.G. Wodehouse's dialogue and the zany situations that he creates. Bill Bannister, who has gone from one relationship...more
Ian Wood
Dec 08, 2007 Ian Wood rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Wodehouse fans only
Shelves: p-g-wodehouse
‘Doctor Sally’ was written at the height of Wodehouse’s powers as a novelist and yet as a novel it is one of his worst. The book was adapted from Wodehouse’s own play ‘Good Morning, Bill’ or more realistically wasn’t adapted from the play, it is the play with a few stage directions added between the dialogue.

I imagine it worked well as a play, the dialogue is absolutely fabulous, Lord Tidmouth or Squiffy’s reaction to his ex-wife Lottie realising Bill intends to break up with her ‘You’ve put the...more
Shantanu Kulkarny
This was my first P.G. Wodehouse read..and I was hooked on to his style forever.

Sally is a smart, competent Doctor by profession and beautiful too, and Bill Banister, heir of a country manor house, can't help himself getting tangled over her all over the place. Sally however, dosen't take him too highly, thinking of him as a rich slacker and being averse to a honest day's work.

Adding to her impression of him is the fact that Bill is engaged to his best friend Lord "Squiffy" Tidmouth's ex-wife, L...more
Daisyjess
A humourous, light-hearted tale of the hapless Bill and multi-talented Doctor Sally, and in typical Wodehousian form a cast of assorted memorable Dramatis Personae to bungle the plot and smooth the way.
It's not as brilliant as the Jeeves and Wooster novels, which are in a class all their own, but Doctor Sally is certainly worth spending a pleasant Saturday afternoon with.
Libbeth
I will use this "review" for all the P. G. Wodehouse I have read. I read them all so long ago and enjoyed them so much that I have given them all 5 stars. As I re-read them I will adjust the stars accordingly, if necessary, and add a proper review.
When I first discovered P. G. Wodehouse I devoured every book I could find in the local library, throughout the eighties and early nineties. Alas, this means that I have read most of them and stumbling across one I have not read is a rare thing. I'm su...more
Ritika
Not sure what to make of a Wodehouse book with a rape threat. Other than that a short, fun, insubstantial book, bot definitely something most readers can skip.
Elon Fischer
A farce in two hours' time. Not much here, but a pleasant diversion. Comedy of class, errors, sexism, and golf.
Starre Vartan
Jolly good fun and a good chuckle.
Beth
Very funny - wonderfully performed!
Julie
A friend passed this on to me after I had my accident...and I hadn't gotten to it...so during a bout with the flu...a light quick read looked inviting. I guess I am just not much a PG Wodehouse fan. I have tried a few times...the dialogue is witty and fun.... but much better suited for a play I think (as I guess this story was originally). For me, not enough time to breathe between all the discourse.
F.R.
Ah the days when you could create comic situations from there being a female doctor...

To be fair Wodehouse is never the go-to writer for social commentary or realist situations, and this is a delightful bauble of a book with some fantastic lines. I've read this on a Sunday evening with the rain pouring down on London town, and this book has made my world feel sunny.
Diva
a delightful single day read, thoroughly wodehouse. i even found my self getting up and doing something else for a while, to savour the conversations and to not finish the book too soon.
the Author knew love, better than any mills and boon book :D
Liz
Apr 27, 2009 Liz rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Wodehouse lovers who can't stand the drawn out comedy
Recommended to Liz by: mum
Shelves: 2009, adult
A lot of Wodehouse's non-Jeeves books I find hard to stick with. But this one was really funny without dragging on and on and on. Based on his play 'Good Morning, Bill', so that may be why it's shorter. Very funny.
Jacqui
What a great short story! Wodehouse is always amusing and there were plenty of laugh out loud moments in this little one. Things got a little annoying in the last conversation but up till then - great!
Stephen Osborne
Not the best Wodehouse, but far from the worst. Enough word play and eccentric characters to make this a fun read. Based on a play by Wodehouse and also published as The Medicine Girl.
Suzanne
Not my fav PG Wodehouse but still fun. I love the strong female (gasp!) doctor as the lead. Wodehouse really has a knack for writing funny, strong femal characters who often outwit the men.
Mike
It's an easy, quick read, but that's only because Wodehouse is excellent. His turn of phrase and witty humor is so enjoyable.
NC
I love PG Wodehouse. This one is short and very funny. Sean O'Casey says of PG Wodehouse, "English literature's performing flea!"
Nazish
A terse capital read. Topping Comedy! One of the best roll-on-the-floor-laughing experience ever!
Deepika
Its a grt book.... juz lik d way d author describes d story....
Jane
Perfect rainy-day-in-the-country book. Wodehouse is God.
Jason Mock
A quick, light romantic trifle by Wodehouse
Douglas Wilson
Not up to standard, but still a lot of fun.
Marianna Beadles
Not Wodehouse's best.
Ridz Chocoholic
a nice book
Deb
Deb added it
Jul 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 30 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...
My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1) Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3) The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7) Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6) The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)

“Chumps always make the best husbands. When you marry, Sally, grab a chump. Tap his head first, and if it rings solid, don't hesitate. All the unhappy marriages come from husbands having brains. What good are brains to a man? They only unsettle him.” 71 likes