Start by marking “Augustus: The Life of Rome's First Emperor” as Want to Read:
Augustus: The Life of Rome's First Emperor

Augustus: The Life of Rome's First Emperor

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,209 Ratings  ·  312 Reviews
He found Rome made of clay and left it made of marble. As Rome’s first emperor, Augustus transformed the unruly Republic into the greatest empire the world had ever seen. His consolidation and expansion of Roman power two thousand years ago laid the foundations, for all of Western history to follow. Yet, despite Augustus’s accomplishments, very few biographers have concent ...more
Published October 17th 2006 by Random House (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Augustus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Augustus

I, Claudius by Robert GravesThe First Man in Rome by Colleen McCulloughClaudius the God and His Wife Messalina by Robert GravesThe Twelve Caesars by SuetoniusThe Agricola and The Germania by Tacitus
Best Books About Ancient Rome
31st out of 549 books — 880 voters
John Adams by David McCullough1776 by David McCulloughTeam of Rivals by Doris Kearns GoodwinThe Guns of August by Barbara W. TuchmanThe Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer
Best History Books
130th out of 1,825 books — 1,854 voters

More lists with this book...

Lynne King
I have tried over and over again to write a review on this outstanding and spellbinding book but without success. Nevertheless what I will state categorically is that Everitt has succeeded magnificently in bringing Augustus alive to the reader. The author also achieved a real sense of place as Rome also became alive to me. I so wish that the book had been longer as I didn’t want to finish it.

Trust me, read this book. It is out there waiting for you to be captivated the way I was.

One of my top
Darwin8u
Sep 03, 2015 Darwin8u rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Probably the best (either this one or Cicero: The Life and Times of Rome's Greatest Politician) of Everett's Roman biographies and histories. A nice introduction and review of Augustus. Nothing particularly new in this book, but Everitt has a flair for narrative biography.

IF you are new to Anthony Everitt, I'd suggest reading in the following order:
1. The Rise of Rome 3 stars
2. Cicero 4 stars
3. Augustus 4 stars
4. Hadrian and the Triumph of Rome 3 stars

But really, unless you are planning on all
Channing
Jul 16, 2007 Channing rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: history wonks, classicists, the power hungry
Towards the end of his previous book, "Cicero", Everitt describes Cicero taking Julius Caesar's grand-nephew, the young Gaius Octavius, under his wing and introducing him to the world of Roman politics. In gratitude, the young Gaius winds up forming an alliance with Mark Antony and reluctantly agreeing to have Cicero killed (although he forces Antony to murder his uncle in exchange). Thus begins the rise to power of Rome's first emperor, later to call himself Augustus.

On one hand, Augustus could
Kelly
Oct 27, 2007 Kelly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of ancient history, fans of HBO Rome
Very well done. Told as narratively as possible, almost in novel form at some points. Very engaging, makes you feel like you know these people. If you liked the HBO series, you'll like this book. It was a very easy read each time I picked it up, which is saying something as I read it during a very stressful time during which I didn't have a lot of time to spare. But I always enjoyed diving into it. You'd think that I'd need something a bit more relaxing. But not with the way this was written.

I d
Kiwi
Jul 17, 2016 Kiwi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Approachable biography of one of the most important figures in western history. The book, being relatively short, is dense but very informative. Beside Augustus itself, Everitt brings to life many historical figures that had an influence on the emperor (both past and contemporary) and are essential to understand the political situation at the time. This approach contributes to a true 360 degrees view of the main character.

It is important to stress that this is a non-fiction book, heavy on the de
Sean
Sep 11, 2007 Sean rated it really liked it
A solid biography of the founding father of the Roman Principate. Indulges in a fair amount of speculation, but I suppose that's what separates scholarly history from popular history, and the author gives you plenty of notice when he's off on a flight of (informed) fancy. Besides, given the paucity of reliable sources for much of Gaius's/Octavian's/Augustus's life, perhaps some speculation is called for.

Any student of Roman history should have a handle on the life and times of Imperator no. 1, a
Mitchell
Aug 18, 2015 Mitchell rated it it was amazing
A erudite exploration of Rome's first and greatest emperor. A entertaining book for lay people. The most challenging part of the book is knowing the ancient geography of the time.
Hadrian
The First Roman Emperor, although many did not see him as such. A calculating figure, who brought forth a massive empire which left its mark on all of Europe.
Steven Peterson
Feb 04, 2010 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it
Anthony Everitt follows up his excellent biography of the Roman politician, lawyer, and writer Cicero with a strong biography of the first Roman emperor, Augustus (born Gaius Octavius in 63 BC). If one add in Goldsworthy's well done recent biography of Julius Caesar, one then has a trio of excellent biographies that help make the political intrigues of Rome in the late Republic and early Empire come to life.

The challenges facing the author include holes in the life story of the man who became A
Linda Harkins
Apr 19, 2011 Linda Harkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an audacious attempt to cover in only 327 pages the rise to power and reign of Rome's first emperor. Not all my questions were answered, but I have a better understanding of the period having read this biography.

The author quickly introduces Augustus as Octavian, the handsome and astute great-nephew of Julius Caesar. Trained in public administration by Caesar, Octavian was a person of delicate health who never became the warrior that his great-uncle was. In fact, he leaned heavily u
Aurelien
Jul 01, 2016 Aurelien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To cram Augustus' reign in so short a book (around 300 pages, which is quite a feat considering the importance of the man and the richness of his life!) must not have been easy. Worst, it could even have led to an oversimplified portrait focused only on crusty details, as has too often been the case previously! After all, from Julius Caesar to Mark Antony and Cleopatra or, his wife Livia and the political turmoil of the times, it always is a challenge to navigate through the epics and dramas tha ...more
Margaret
Aug 03, 2007 Margaret rated it really liked it
A great follow-up to Cicero. Between the two of them you get a thorough introduction not only to these two men, but more generally to life in ancient Rome and its rise to empire. (It's a crazy story, if you hadn't heard.)
Clifford
Oct 28, 2014 Clifford rated it it was amazing
Excellent insight into the Roman era. Interesting book that was well written with explanations that extend to modern days. I recommend it highly!
Nick Ohrn
Jun 28, 2015 Nick Ohrn rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book, but felt like he narrative could have been a little bit better constructed. I felt like the work jumped from place to place and time to time much too suddenly and I found myself having to go back and reread a few page to figure out how we got where we were. Also, and this is definitely not the author's fault, there was a lack of certainty about many facts because of the lack of surviving records. This is to be expected, but compared to biographies of more modern personalities ...more
Caidyn
Aug 26, 2015 Caidyn rated it really liked it
Growing up, I had a huge thing for history. Specifically, Ancient Egypt and Cleopatra. To this day, I can recite basically all of Cleopatra's history, from her siblings, children, death, legacy, etc. Over so many other things, that's stuck in my mind as something I needed to remember. Octavian -- as I always heard him called -- was a name I was familiar with. He was the person who caused Cleopatra to kill herself. I always didn't like him much for that. But, after reading this book, I can honest ...more
Avis Black
Oct 30, 2014 Avis Black rated it liked it
Shelves: biographies, 3-stars
I've been binging on Rome lately, and this is the 4th Anthony Everitt book I've read so far. It's a solid work that starts with the Civil War in the wake of Julius Caesar's death. Augustus, Caesar's heir, has a lot of popular support, but he nonetheless ends up with one big black cloud hanging over him. He and Mark Anthony perpetrate one of the worse mass murders in Rome's history.

When the pair seize power, they post lists of thousands of people, declaring them to be 'enemies of the state.' Thi
Jeremy Perron
Nov 14, 2012 Jeremy Perron rated it it was amazing
Anthony Everitt tells the amazing story of the young Gaius Octavius, who grows up to become the man we know as Emperor Augustus. Everitt gives the treatment of Augustus' life the same way he treated the orator Cicero's. Everitt has an easy to follow narrative that guides the reader from the chaotic early life to the stable rule as the first Emperor of Rome, or what Augustus called his new regime: the Principate.

Born during Cicero's consulship, the young boy grows up in the period of political in
Erik
Jun 18, 2008 Erik rated it liked it
I doubt that this recent biography on Augustus -- ne Octavian -- is the first to focus solely on the first emperor of Rome (as the dust-cover flap suggests), but I will agree with most critics and readers that this is a compelling read that manages to include many of the debates and nuances that make Augustus and his contemporaries so intriguing. If you're looking for confirmation of the scandalous affairs and sordid acts that were paraded on screen during the two seasons of HBO's breath-taking ...more
Emalise
Dec 15, 2009 Emalise rated it really liked it
This was the first biography I ever read. Surprisingly enough, as I'm a Classics major with a concentration in Latin, I did not read it for a class. I've always had a certain fascination with Augustus even though I never knew too much about him. (It is hard for me to imagine him an any other way than as Simon Woods played him in HBO's Rome but that is not being very historically objective, now is it?)

Everitt successfully navigated the difficult feat of writing about a great man, on whom there ar
Reid
Dec 19, 2007 Reid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has been nice to see a recent flourishing in the publication of narrative ancient histories meant for the larger reading public. Rubicon must stand out as the supreme example among them, if only for its readability and scope. Everitt, in contrast, is a great also-ran, his biography of Augustus presenting a well-balanced and well-ordered book on a very controversial historical figure. In particular, Everitt's information about Sextus Pompeius was an utter revelation, something I had completely ...more
A.R. Draeger
Oct 23, 2014 A.R. Draeger rated it it was amazing
I read this some years ago when I found myself burned out on lit fic & my usual genres. Rome -the HBO show- left me wanting to know more (and not just the dramatized version) about him, so I picked it up. Fascinating. Author did an excellent job- didn't feel as dry as many history books do. I recommend. :)
Tyler Holley
Jun 29, 2016 Tyler Holley rated it liked it
Everitt is a good historian. His interpretive decisions were well thought through. He doesn't take the primary source's words as total truth, but tries to read them in light of the culture and personality of the writers. The book did drag on a bit, thus the 3 stars.
Zelda
Aug 18, 2014 Zelda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, 2014
This was a very interesting listen after having listened to "I, Claudius". I couldn't recommend this to just everyone. You'd have to have some initial interest in Imperial Rome to really get into this. Anthony Everitt does a fine job once again of making what seems like a dense topic very accessible. He is very good at balancing the scholarly voice with a more conversational tone. The reader was excellent.
Alcornell
Mar 09, 2015 Alcornell rated it really liked it
Brings Augustus to life, sorts out the confusion of names and numbers, balances characterization and solid history writing. Impressive and enjoyable. All my questions were answered--what was the deal with Antony and Cleopatra? Was Livia really the evil stepmother she is fabled to be? What happened to Cassius and Brutus? The whole modern western world has been shaped by this 75 year period. It's a fascinating read. I will read Everitt's Cicero now.
Trina
Sep 02, 2012 Trina rated it really liked it
This biography is heavy on the battles of the civil war that preceded Octavian's rise to power, but ultimately I really enjoyed the development of Augustus' character: he was physically weak and prone to illness but he lived into his mid 70s. His strength was that he was extremely thoughtful, tactical and patient in working out how to bring Rome out of civil war into a position of power. The fact that his "reign" effectively ended the Republic, which wasn't working but which is always idealized ...more
Betty Confetti
May 21, 2016 Betty Confetti rated it really liked it
Roman history has always been hard to even comprehend given all the Caesar's. I have to admit never feeling confident of being able to sort it all out. But, Everitt's Augustus helps to make sense of the progression from Julius Caesar to Caesar Tiberius. Augustus was blessed with a long life, evolving from a power-hungry upstart to a leader of remarkable achievements--primarily expansion and stability. Having read the Schaeffer biography of Cleopatra, I found the account of the same post-Julius C ...more
Adam Ford
Feb 22, 2014 Adam Ford rated it really liked it
Augustus was such a great man they named a month after him. He succeeded Julius Caesar and is famously the first Roman Emperor (marking the end of the Roman Republic). But, oddly, he was able to become an autocrat by appealing to the old republican traditions of Rome and by utilizing the Senate more than Julius Caesar had.

Caesar was given short term autocratic power during time of war and people feared he wouldn't give it up, hence the attack on the ides of March by Republican Senators, includi
Ev
Jan 01, 2016 Ev rated it it was amazing
History is very interesting...and tends to repeat itself.
Greg
Feb 01, 2010 Greg rated it really liked it
The second of Everitt's tryptich of famous Romans focuses on perhaps the most famous emperor. In an unusual move, two-thirds of the book takes place before Augustus becomes emperor (assumes the purple, as Gibbon so likes to write). Sadly, for such an influential person, little personal information remains about Augustus. Everitt contradicts a lot of conventional wisdom to be found in I Claudius and elsewere, especially about Livia.
Erez Davidi
Feb 03, 2016 Erez Davidi rated it really liked it
This is the second book by Everitt that I read, the first being Cicero. As in Cicero, the narrative is very easy to follow. I think Everitt did a fine job in bringing Augustus to life along with Roman empire in general, it helped me fill a few holes about the birth of the Roman Empire. All in all, this is a fine introduction to Augustus' life and to the Birth of the Roman Empire.
  • Caesar: Life of a Colossus
  • Julius Caesar
  • The Fall of the Roman Empire: A New History of Rome and the Barbarians
  • The Poison King: The Life and Legend of Mithradates, Rome's Deadliest Enemy
  • Marcus Aurelius: A Life
  • The Roman Revolution
  • The Ghosts of Cannae: Hannibal & the Darkest Hour of the Roman Republic
  • Chronicle of the Roman Emperors: The Reign-by-Reign Record of the Rulers of Imperial Rome
  • Caligula: A Biography
  • Ghost on the Throne: The Death of Alexander the Great and the War for Crown and Empire
  • The Assassination Of Julius Caesar: A People's History Of Ancient Rome
  • Caesars' Wives: The Women Who Shaped the History of Rome
  • Carthage Must Be Destroyed: The Rise and Fall of an Ancient Civilization
  • The Spartacus War
  • Alexander the Great
  • Caesar: A Biography
  • Soldiers and Ghosts: A History of Battle in Classical Antiquity
  • Nero
Anthony Everitt is a British academic. He studied English literature at the University of Cambridge. He publishes regularly in The Guardian and The Financial Times. He worked in literature and visual arts. He was Secretary-General of the Arts Council of Great Britain. He is a visiting professor in the performing and visual arts at Nottingham Trent University. Everitt is a companion of the Liverpoo ...more
More about Anthony Everitt...

“change his” 0 likes
“Rome became a republic in 509 B.C., after driving out its king and abolishing the monarchy. The next two centuries saw a long struggle for power between a group of noble families, patricians, and ordinary citizens, plebeians, who were excluded from public office. The outcome was a apparent victory for the people, but the old aristocracy, supplemented by rich pledeian nobles, still controlled the state. What looked in many ways like democracy was, in fact, an oligarcy modified by elections.” 0 likes