The Annotated Sherlock Holmes

The Annotated Sherlock Holmes

4.57 of 5 stars 4.57  ·  rating details  ·  7,402 ratings  ·  46 reviews
2 Volumes. The complete texts of the four novels and fifty-six short stories that made the legendary detective famous are accompanied by an introduction, notes, maps, diagrams, coats-of-arms, photographs, and drawings in this oversized edition--an indispensable possession for all mystery fans.
Published December 12th 1988 by Clarkson Potter (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Annotated Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Annotated Sherlock Holmes

Res
Jul 11, 2011 Res rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
Well, I slogged through the whole thing, but I have to say that there must be a better annotation than this available.

First: In what universe do you translate "tete a tete" and not "acushla"?!

Second: If a sum of money is mentioned, it's less than helpful to tell me it was "about $12.50 American at that time." What about how much it's worth today? Or, if you're worried about inflation rendering your footnotes less useful, how about how many hours of a laborer's wage that is, or how many gallons o...more
Elly
May 13, 2008 Elly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: big old geeks!
I swear I have come by all the most amazing books at the Goodwill. This one might be the coolest, too. I bought these volumes for 75 cents each ten years ago because they looked cool, and am still picking them up when I can't sleep or have the flu or need a good story.

We got some Sherlock Holmes audio books for a road trip a couple of years ago, and while they were a lot of fun, it's really not the same for me to hear these stories without the long digressions about someone's profound research...more
Tim
Sep 11, 2011 Tim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
The actual Sherlock Holmes stories are great fun. Give them five stars. But I was quite disappointed with the annotations. Something like 80% of them are all about the game of pretending that Sherlock Holmes and Watson actually lived and Watson disguised the people and places in the stories. So there are endless notes about what day of the week this took place on so it must have been this particular year, when you take into account the actual train schedule for that year ... It's all very tireso...more
Dewey Norton
The complete 56 short stories and 4 novels about Holmes, along with excellent annotation and explanatory esssays about Dr. Bell and other relevant topics. Although it took me several weeks to read all of both volumes, this was a task I turned to with great excitement every night after the boys were asleep.
Lynda
Nov 09, 2011 Lynda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Holmes fans
Shelves: mysteries
No one has ever topped Sherlock Holmes for me. All of the extra material in these books is wonderful. This is the 3rd complete SH anthology I have owned. I bought the second one for the illustrations and this one for the annotations.
Barbara
Had this book years ago and just bought another copy. It contains all of the Sherlock Holmes stories and all sorts of information on Holmes' times and clears up points in the story so those of us who are not experts on the Victorian era can get a better experience.

There are two large hardbound volumes full of illustrations from the Strand Magazine, information on historical stuff, pictures of the money, and that sort of thing. All in the margins of the original stories by Sir A. Conan Doyle.

I w...more
Courtney
1) "I Hear of Sherlock Everywhere Since You Became His Chronicler"
2) "He Is Now Translating My Small Works into French"
3) "I...Have Even Contributed to the Literature of the Subject"
4) "You Would Have Made an Actor, and a Rare One"
5) "Your Pictures Are Not Unlike You, Sir, If I May Say So"
6) "A Singular Set of People, Watson..."
7) "Your Merits Should Be Publicly Recognized"
8) "The Best and the Wisest Man Whom I Have Ever Known"
9) "Good Old Watson!"
10) "He Is the Napoleon of Crime, Watson"
11) "I...more
Larry Edwards
I have always been a big fan of the Sherlock Holmes movies starring Basil Rathbone. As a teen, I couldn't get enough of them. Once I was out of school and in the military, I had very little time to read or space to keep a set of books. That all changed when I got married and settled down. When our daughter was born, we spent more time at home. That's when I became interested in reading. My wife reads all the time. So, when the baby was asleep, I grabbed this encyclopediaesque reference book on t...more
Amr Tarek
good but sherlock holmes analysis crimes out of great knowledge and information no one would have if he read non stopping ........ .
Jen
I'd only read a few Sherlock Holmes stories before my godmother gave me this in two volumes. They are all the short stories and novels in estimated chronological order of when they took place. The stories are classics and just as hard to figure out now as I'm sure they were back when they originally were published. Also, this edition has notes and essays about the time period and what influenced Arthur Conan Doyle. Some of these are distracting and occasionally irrelevant when taking the stories...more
Elaine
I never knew there were so many 'Holmesites'. They are every bit as ardent as Janeites, and Holmes is not even a real person! There are newer annotated versions, but this one is the best. I not only gained a new appreciation for readers who really get into a work of literature, but I enjoyed the stories immensely. I first read the two large volumes borrowed from the library, but I eventually bought my own copy.
Shelly
For me this will always be the definitive text. Conan Doyle's stories and novels are accompanied by footnotes, detailing everything from what a gasgogene was to how much a pound was worth in US dollars at the time to what date Baring-Gould and his fellow Sherlockians assign to the story (because we are pretending these were all actual events and that Holmes & Watson were real).
Rick Thomas
This two book, hard bound, and thoroughly annotated version contains the four novels and fifty-six short stories. Beautifully illustrated with art from a multitude of publications, this is my favorite collection of Sherlock Holmes.
I read it for me, then read the stories to Seanie and Chris. I will probably read some of the stories from this book to Ari and Dorian as well.
George
After you have read all of the Sherlock Holme's stories, read the annotated version. The annotations add immensely to understanding and creating the atmosphere of the time period. Plus there is additional history of the times, people, and places. I understood what was happening in the stories much better after reading the annotations.
Aldean
Nov 20, 2008 Aldean rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: true and serious Holmes fans
Oh, what a treasure trove these two volumes are for the avid fan of Sherlock Holmes, his faithful chronicler Dr. Watson, and their intrepid advocate Sir Artur Conan Doyle. An astonishing work of erudite intensity, and absolutely the cornerstone of any serious Holmes fans library, as it most certainly is of mine.
Susan
I actually did one volume of this last year and finished the 2nd this past week. I think there are many things about the annotations which are inadequate but I still love these volumes and enjoy the background information they provide on all the stories. I think nearly any Sherlockian will enjoy reading this!
Darlene
These stories are timeless. These annotations... not so much. Baring-Gould played the game with gusto. Klinger's annotations are less dense, perhaps, but closer to useful literary critical thought. Baring-Gould's edition is a classic; Leslie Klinger's is probably a more sensible choice for the casually curious.
Betsy Curlin
An absolute must read for the Sherlock Holmes enthusiast. Aside from the collection of short stories and novels, there are many anecdotes, references, pictures and notes regarding the influences, possible locations, and persons that are speculated to have connections to the stories.
Keith Cook
Reading the canon with insight from above is always helpful. Seriously - for the stressed out and hectic lifestyle most lead revisiting the old mysteries can almost be like a medicine. To be able to read a mystery without political undertones or political correctness is still fun.
Nelda
These annotated versions of classics are definitely not for everyone. They should be useful to the Sherlockian scholars. I am afraid that all the detail doesn't add to my enjoyment of the stories. Fortunately, the unannotated versions are still just as enjoyable as always.
Dottie
Love my Sherlock stories. Then purchased the two volume annotated Holmes and go revisit one or another of the tales semi-regularly for a long while. Alas, it has been a while -- but what I really love is all the inside info on details surrounding the works. What fun.
Gretchen
Finished Vol 1 only. Taking a break before tackling Vol 2 (hey, I've read these several times before). This is a really great way to read the stories--illustrations, footnotes, maps, photos, everything you've ever wanted to know about Sherlock Holmes.
Skipper
William Baring-Gould did a masterful job of annotating the "canon" of Sherlock Holmes' stories, with plenty of illustrations from the Strand and other sources. There is plenty of supplemental material to linger over with every tale of mystery.
Jim Karabin
Nov 27, 2009 Jim Karabin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
The Sherlock Holmes stories are some of the greatest fiction ever written. And the voluminous footnotes in this book just make a good thing better. They are rather like some of the better commentary tracks on DVDs of classic movies.
Phyllis
This is my all time favorite collection of Holmes/Holmesiana. My 2 volume set is aged and worn, and there is no better recreation of a cold winter's evening than to curl up in my comfy chair with these volumes by my side.
Cameron.domer
Interesting book, but the annotations are far to thick for someone who doesn't have a firm grasp of the material already. Seriously, they make legal footnotes look concise and rarely used.
Gregory Wilson
Really, this is just me showing off that yes, I do indeed have the W.S. Baring-Gould Annotated hardcovers (sans slipcase, natch), and they are truly wonders to behold.
SA
Jan 02, 2012 SA rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Man, these annotations are hilarious. And dated. And nothing wikipedia couldn't have told me better and faster and with more citations. But, hey, it's a useful thing.
Ikonopeiston
This is one of my treasures. I am a fan of the Annotated Series and an ardent fan of Sherlock Holmes so this is close to perfection for me.
Romina Lambrecht
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories are wonderfull and timeless.
You can read them over and over again, they never get bored.
  • Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street: A Life of the World's First Consulting Detective
  • The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra
  • The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • The Last Sherlock Holmes Story
  • The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: After Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Classic Crime)
  • Sherlock Holmes in Orbit
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Rune Stone Mystery
  • The Seven-Percent Solution
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Veiled Detective
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Man From Hell
  • The Crimes of Dr. Watson
  • My Dearest Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Unauthorized Biography
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record...more
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...
A Study in Scarlet  (Sherlock Holmes, #1) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3) The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5) The Complete Sherlock Holmes The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume II