Start by marking “Robert Frost: Selected Poems (Penguin Poets)” as Want to Read:
Robert Frost: Selected Poems (Penguin Poets)

Robert Frost: Selected Poems (Penguin Poets)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,572 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
In addition to Robert Frost's first three books, this collection includes eighteen early poems that did not appear in his eleven books of poetry and have rarely been reprinted. Some of these express the idealism of youth inspired by heroic figures of the past. Others are love poems to Elinor White, whom he married in 1895.

In Robert Frost's poems the simple images and theme

Paperback
Published 1966 by Penguin (first published January 1st 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Robert Frost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robert Frost

Cheryl
May 16, 2013 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I was a little girl, Frost could do no wrong. He still can't. The cadence of his lines, the lucidity of his poetry, always transports me. I'm a little upset that my edition isn't listed here on GR though. Mine has quite a few more poems from his earlier and later life.
Melee
Jun 14, 2011 Melee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Ah, Robert Frost: the man who convinced me that I hated poetry.
Years ago, I was assigned to read some of his poetry for school and, let's just say, I read them as if I was taking cough-syrup. (Note: Why, yes! I hate cough-syrup. I'll never forget the fateful night where I spit a mouthful of it across the bathroom. Good times...) Anyhow, so I didn't enjoy his poems because I was reading them with the wrong attitude &c. If Carl Sandburg hadn't come along later and shown me what a wonderful th
Maggie Roessler
Drama: awesome. Form: pleasurable. Theme: Got a little fed up with all that personifying nature/alackadaying that nature can't be personified. Here's the best antidote:

It's a strange courage
you give me, ancient star:

Shine alone in the sunrise
toward which you lend no part!
I
Shine alone, shine nakedly, shine like bronze
that reflects neither my face nor any inner part
of my being, shine like fire, that mirrors nothing.
II
Lend no part to any humanity that suffuses
you in its own light.
Be not chimera of
Greg Z
May 03, 2016 Greg Z rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I've read and reread this collection, and it has a lot to offer. I still find that my favorite is "Into My Own". I always enjoy a discussion in which no doubt I will eventually say "But the name of that poem is 'The Road Not Taken' and that takes the poem off in a totally different direction." I haven't read a lot of poetry, but have read much Ginsberg ("Howl" is a must for all readers, imho) and Merrill as of late. And so far, I haven't read any poetry collection as good as James Merrill's stun ...more
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
"One of my wishes is that those dark trees,
So old and firm they scarcely show the breeze,
Were not, as it were, the merest mask of gloom,
But stretched away unto the edge of doom.

I do not see why I should ever turn back,
Or those should not set forth upon my track
To overtake me, who should miss me here
And long to know if still I held them dear.

They would not find me changed from him they knew-
Only more sure of all I thought was true."

I'll be honest, aside from two or three poems, I was previously n
Margo
Dec 19, 2015 Margo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was kinda bored but I loved "fire and ice"
Btw this wasn't my exact edition, mine is a bit shorter, but this was the closest.
Tinea
Jan 01, 2015 Tinea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, ecology-diy
Here they are: Robert Frost poems.

I don't remember which are in this volume, but here is one:

The Need of Being Versed in Country Things

The house had gone to bring again
To the midnight sky a sunset glow.
Now the chimney was all of the house that stood,
Like a pistil after the petals go.
The barn opposed across the way,
That would have joined the house in flame
Had it been the will of the wind, was left
To bear forsaken the place's name.
No more it opened with all one end
For teams that came by
Kiarash Saii
Robert Frost, A four time winner of the Pulitzer prize for poetry creates a new poetry book called " Selected poems". Along with some poems from his other three books, this book includes at least eighteen of his early poems that were rarely reprinted. His poems range from love poems made for his wife, Elinor White, to express youth inspired by heroic figures such as Hercules.

Selected Poems was a very Interesting and a very entertaining book for me, and probably will be one of my most memorable b
Missey Wilhelm
May 15, 2014 Missey Wilhelm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A time to talk.
When a friend calls to me from the road
And slows his horse to a meaning walk,
I don't stand still and look around
On all the hills I haven't hoed,
And a shout from where I am, What is it?
No, not as there is a time to talk.
I thrust my hoe in the mellow ground,
Blade-end up and five feet tall,
And plod: I go up to the stone wall
For a friendly visit.

What's not to love about a poem or this poet?
Washington Vieira
Apr 22, 2009 Washington Vieira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
"A whole generation influenced and moved by a "Boy's will".
He has a true juvenile dialogue with his readers.On Greece he shows a remarkable knowledge of History;but my favorite is "The road not taken "a philosophical poetry about the choices we made in our lives".
Sienna
Dec 14, 2014 Sienna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book filled with emotion! Many of the poems made me think about the choices in life more and made me want to keep rereading it. I recommend this book to anyone that loves poetry.
Emily
Jan 11, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always loved poetry and I'm glad I could finally read a collection of Frost’s poems. I actually read this for a paper in school but it was still fun!
Jennie
Poetry is not really my thing but I much more prefer Poe over this very nature based stuff. Fire & Ice is still my favorite of Frost's though.
Alison's Wonderland
Frost is one of my favorite poets. I love how he uses nature imagery to illustrate deeper themes, playing off the relationship between the "natural world" and the "human world." I've been working on this particular book for about a year now, just reading a poem or two whenever the mood struck. I use Frost's work a lot for tutoring middle grade students, because his plainspoken style is accessible to younger students while still offering enough depth to merit deeper analysis. Several of his poems ...more
Gracebbcs
Mar 15, 2009 Gracebbcs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
his poems are very down-to-earth yet very profound at the same time.
I like his sense of humor and wisdom.
Zoe
Dec 26, 2014 Zoe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received this book as a gift from a professor of mine, and it could not have been more appropriate for the season. Gritty imagery and creative metaphors are the heart of this book. Frost is a more subtle poet than I had anticipated; though he is not afraid to write mournfully, his sadness is so tastefully expressed that you'll want more.

Personal favorites: Wind and Window Flower + To the Thawing Wind, Pan With Us, The Road Not Taken (of course), Bond and Free

Quick read, great choice for when th
Zari
Sep 08, 2015 Zari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poem, classic
Here further up the mountain slope
Than there was every any hope,
My father built, enclosed a spring,
Strung chains of wall round everything,
Subdued the growth of earth to grass,
And brought our various lives to pass.
A dozen girls and boys we were.
The mountain seemed to like the stir,
And made of us a little while-
With always something in her smile.
Today she wouldn't know our name.
(No girl's, of course, has stayed the same.)
The mountain pushed us off her knees.
And now her lap is full of trees.
Mark Soone
I would probably rate this around a 3.5 if that were an option.

I have long loved "The Road Not Taken", which not only highlights this edition, but is among my most favorite poems ever!

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has mad all the difference.

Other than that, I am unfamiliar with the rest of frost's work, or at the very least amunable to recall any to mind. I must say that in totality I
Alice
Apr 04, 2015 Alice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own, poetry

I had withdrawn in forest, and my song
Was swallowed up in leaves that blew alway;
And to the forest edge you came one day
(This was my dream) and looked and pondered long,
But did not enter, though the wish was strong:
You shook your pensive head as who should say,
‘I dare not—too far in his footsteps stray—
He must seek me would he undo the wrong.

Not far, but near, I stood and saw it all
Behind low boughs the trees let down outside;
And the sweet pang it cost me not to call
And tell you that I
Mike Decamp
May 04, 2014 Mike Decamp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay...how does a casual reader of poetry like myself even attempt to review Robert Frost. Well, he doesn't...so I won't. I gave it four stars because it is Robert Frost. I didn't give it five because I was the reader...not because it wasn't worthy so much as I wasn't a worthy reader. As I told a friend recently (whose book I had reviewed), I am a kind of tough on giving out stars. I have to either be blown away by a book or be deeply moved to give away five stars. Four stars is exceptional in m ...more
Dec 26, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Ah, my beloved poets...
This copy of Frost was given to me by my most favorite English literature professor, filled with his notes and annotations in the margins. How I cherish the memory of his words and his lectures in my memory as I cherish the words of the poet today, as always. Greater delight comes only when, at some mention of a poem, my son asks, "Mom, will you read it to me?"
Clancy
May 02, 2013 Clancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This early collection shows Frost is an expert poet, exhibiting mastery of his particular brand of pastoral, and often bleak, verse writing.

Despite this being a collection of considerable size I was hard-pressed to find a piece that wasn't worth the read. Many leaving me rapt in thought for hours, days, some even weeks after. Frost's work here is dense and rewards those willing to spend the time unpacking it. While others still are concise and to-the-point. The varied pace of the works makes it
Leah
Jan 17, 2016 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-sarah
Robert Frost used the rhythm of actual speech in a masterful way. The cadence of his writing is very pleasing, almost like music. I did have to read a few of his poems more than once to understand them. It was almost like a puzzle, and if I read it at just the right pace with just the right concentration (not too much and not too little) the meaning would suddenly be unlocked. His poems are truly beautiful in their simplicity. I found that I preferred the ones that didn't have dialogue between t ...more
Lauren

"Pan With Us"
"In Hardwood Groves"
"The Black Cottage"
"The Road Not Taken"
"Hyla Brook" -- "We love the things we love for what they are."
"Meeting and Passing"
"Birches"
"Pea Brush"
Ben Doeh
captures man in the midst of his decisions like no other.

there's a reason why he's a poetic legend. he may have been conservative, but his technique and concomitant understanding of the human rhythm is absolutely remarkable.
Amanda
Jul 16, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, wishlist
Robert Frost, I take such comfort in you and your writing. If we could meet I would say hello and then thank you a hundred times.

One of my favourites:
"Flower Gathering"
I left you in the morning,
And in the morning glow,
You walked a way beside me
to make me sad to go.
Do you know me in the gloaming,
gaunt and dusty gray with roaming?
Are you dumb because you know me not,
Or dumb because you know?

All for me? And not a question
for the faded flowers gay
That could take me from beside you
for the ages of a
Fed
Jan 01, 2013 Fed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The pasture, Home Burial, The Tuft of Flowers, Mending the wall, Birches, Reluctance, A late walk, Fragmentary Blue.

My favorite out of this bunch is probably 'Mending the wall' -"Good fences make good neighbors" these words could be used for so many analogies.

Reluctance is a piece of poetry that offers a powerful image.

Fragmentary Blue

Why make so much of fragmentary blue
In here and there a bird, or butterfly,
Or flower, or wearing-stone, or open eye,
When heaven presents in sheets the solid hue?

Si
Patience Arthur
Feb 27, 2016 Patience Arthur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This will always remain one of my favorites. So happy I found it again when I was going through all my books. Fire and Ice will always be my absolute favorite.
Andy
May 14, 2016 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of it wasn't my taste, but will always love "The Road Not Taken" and "Fire and Ice." Seems that I much prefer his later poems.
Diane Villela
Feb 28, 2016 Diane Villela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I first learned about Robert Frost in 5th grade and once in high school I bought the book and read it through out high school.
4th Quarter Book Review 1 2 Jun 12, 2014 12:43PM
  • Selected Poems and Letters
  • 95 Poems
  • Selected Poems
  • Selected Poems (Dover Thrift Editions)
  • Selected Poetry
  • Romeo and Juliet and West Side Story
  • The Poems of Gerard Manley Hopkins
  • The Complete Poems and Plays
  • Selected Poems
Flinty, moody, plainspoken and deep, Robert Frost was one of America's most popular 20th-century poets. Frost was farming in Derry, New Hampshire when, at the age of 38, he sold the farm, uprooted his family and moved to England, where he devoted himself to his poetry. His first two books of verse, A Boy's Will (1913) and North of Boston (1914), were immediate successes. In 1915 he returned to the ...more
More about Robert Frost...

“some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice;from what I've tasted of desire, I hold with those who favor fire” 2 likes