Start by marking “The Day Before” as Want to Read:
The Day Before

The Day Before

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,195 Ratings  ·  697 Reviews
One moment can change everything.

Amber’s life is spinning out of control. All she wants is to turn up the volume on her iPod until all of the demands of family and friends fade away. So she sneaks off to the beach to spend a day by herself.

Then Amber meets Cade. Their attraction is instant, and Amber can tell he’s also looking for an escape. Together they decide to share a
Published June 28th 2011 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The Day Before, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day Before

Entwined by Heather DixonWither by Lauren DeStefanoUnearthly by Cynthia HandAcross the Universe by Beth RevisDarkest Mercy by Melissa Marr
Beautiful Book Covers of 2011
91st out of 720 books — 4,417 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickPassion by Lauren Kate
YA Novels of 2011
148th out of 1,166 books — 6,996 voters

More lists with this book...

Sab H.  (YA Bliss)
*sigh*

Some books are meant to be thought-provoking

Some are meant to steer up emotions

Some are just meant to be entertaining

And some, like this one,

are meant to make you smile, and appreciate.

If you've read Lisa's books,

you know what I'm talking about.

She always creates real characters,

Facing difficult moments

Beautiful stories, written in verse.

So this book is about the important things in life

The things that really count

The moments that take your breath away

The things you love

that make
Lisa
Aug 20, 2010 Lisa added it  ·  (Review from the author)
A novel for young adults about a girl named Amber and a boy named Cade and the 24 hours they spend together at the beach before their lives are turned upside-down.
Cara
Jun 29, 2014 Cara rated it it was amazing
This story (at least to me) felt like reading a beautiful long quote that captured a special moment of someone’s life. The writing flows effortlessly. I always say this but if you think you don't like books written in verse you have to read one by Lisa Schroeder.

In the beginning of the book we are presented to Amber who is planning a whole day to herself, before the dreaded next day in which her life will never be the same. We don't know what is hanging over Amber's head, but as the reader you c
Anne
5 M*A*G*I*C*A*L stars

I don't know how, I don't know why I picked up this book. All I know is after I put it down, I smiled, so widely.

My emotions are on a bungee string. Up, down. Up, down.

Sometimes all it takes for your whole world to turn around, turn upside down, is a few minutes, sometimes it's a few hours, sometimes a few days, gears can change so suddenly, unexpectedly. And other times events span over a day shaping the future that's ahead of us, giving and taking from us. That's what t
Emily May
May 20, 2011 Emily May rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, romance, 2011, arc

Wow, this book really affected me, I'm kind of reeling from it at the moment and I owe a huge thanks to Jasprit who sent me the galleygrab newsletter for this. To be honest, if it wasn't a galleygrab freebie I doubt I would have ever read this beautiful, moving novel.

I was surprised to find it written in verse, my experience (generally centred around the novels of Ellen Hopkins) is that this can do wonders for a novel or send it sprawling flat on it's face. In this case, it worked so so
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
Jul 06, 2012 Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, romance
Funny, two hours ago I was ready to go to the bed, and I just wanted some book to read few pages before I fall asleep! It looks like this book had other plans for me. Here I'm. Two hours later, and I can say this book took my breath away! I always thought that I don't like the books written in verse, but I was wrong. Words feel somehow more powerful in verse, and then whole story does too. One more thing while i was reading this book this lyrics was stacked in my head, so I'll share it:
" If I l
Jasprit
May 20, 2011 Jasprit rated it really liked it
(4.5 stars)

I don’t really have the words to describe what I felt about The day before, other than it was simply beautiful.

Fate brings Amber and Cade to meet at the aquarium; both characters are dealing with their own problems and just want a day to escape from them. However what starts off as a chance meeting ends up providing an unforgettable day for both, the day before their lives will significantly change.

The day before was written in verse, this was a first for me and I thought that I woul
Jun 01, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Laura by: Cara's Review inspired me to pick this one up!

Books written in verse have always scared me. I created this painful, flowery image of the format for some reason. But messing with the traditional story telling way is one of my favorite things to see and come across in this world. Soooo….I had to give this style a chance. I am so happy I did! I can’t believe my heart almost missed this experience.

The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder is truly a warm, beautiful reading experience that pulled me right in. The style and words had my attention with one
Princess Bookie
Feb 14, 2011 Princess Bookie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read2011
My Thoughts: Another awesome book by Schroeder! We are introduced to Amber who needs to just have one day by herself. She has a new problem in her personal life and she has trouble dealing with it. She just doesn't think its fair. She goes to the beach and meets Cade. Cade is also having a day by himself as well. Honestly, I don't want to give any spoilers as to why they are both spending a day by themselves because when its revealed, it really makes you think hard and makes you tear up. Its bet ...more
Tracey
Jul 25, 2011 Tracey rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned, teen
Teen fiction; poetry novella (romance). Personally I don't care for these novels written in verse (poetry is very hard to do well, and a whole novel of mediocre poetry quickly gets tiresome), though they can be more easily devoured by reluctant readers--I'd probably still give them something from Ellen Hopkins instead though, as this title has much less action/drama. But I did skim ahead to find out what was the deal with these two kids, whose lives will apparently be forever changed on the morr ...more
Ceilidh
Jun 10, 2011 Ceilidh rated it it was ok
I have never read a YA book written in verse before so this was a first for me. I tend to be biased towards prose and drama in my English lit studies as well but I thought it would be interesting to give this one a go to see if the choice of medium would be suitable to tell a story and how affecting it would be.

To be completely honest, I didn’t really connect to this book. The choice of verse to tell Amber’s story wasn’t completely successful in my opinion, although there are a few moments wher
Morgan F
Verse novels are really tricky for me. Either I think them beautiful and haunting (Glimpse and Sold), or gimmicky. This one kind of straddled the middle.

I was so routing for Amber in the beginning. The writing was beautiful, and her backstory was revealed slowly and delicately. Interspersing Amber's musings on the "day before", were notes and letters from her family that allow the reader to examine Amber's situation.

I even liked Cade in the beginning too, when he was just a cute, mysterious bo
Tina
Jun 28, 2011 Tina rated it liked it
Original post at One More Page

This is a book
written in verse.
My second one.
And I thought
it would be a nice writing exercise
to write a review the same way.

The Day Before was about a girl named Amber
who seemed to have ran away to the beach
to spend one day for herself.
The circumstances were mysterious,
and I was kept in the dark
for most of the time.
Amber meets Cade.
There was attraction.
But there was something about Cade
that disturbed Amber.
Like he had a dark secret.
Amber didn't want to destroy t
Deeksha
Jun 11, 2015 Deeksha rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who want to read something different
3 Stars

This is the first time I read a poetry style book. I loved the writing style. But somewhere in the middle the book lost its grip on me. That thrilling anticipation, that point when you feel your mind is wide awake because the book just grips you, all just went away. Hence the 3 stars. Although I think that was more a its not you its me case.

I liked the characters. I love reading books where the characters have these....experiences. Beaches and sandcastles, boat rides and fishing, locals
Melinda
Aug 04, 2011 Melinda rated it did not like it
Shelves: wall-of-shame
Once, in the ninth grade
Our assignment
was
to create a collage
out of
old magazines.
Lois cut out the words,
"and then I dreamed...."
and left her poster board

blank

except for those words.

Genius, really.
While her project looked
very creative and artsy,
she could now spend her time

doing her nails

writing notes to her boyfriend

chewing gum
while the rest of us
worked.

BUT Mr. Pickett
saw through it!
He said "this is not art".
He wanted C*O*N*T*E*N*T.

This book is like that.
Weak stor
Eileen
Aug 21, 2015 Eileen rated it it was amazing
My heart is stil swooning!
This book
is so beautifully
written.

I absolutely adored it, everything about it: The plot (simple, yet cute) and the writing style (simply beautiful).
I SO recommend this book - especially to everyone who likes books written in verses -
it's tragic,
but cute.
You'll love it,
I'm sure.

Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Jun 07, 2014 Nidah (SleepDreamWrite) rated it really liked it
Just one day. That's what two teens need is one day to forget their current dilemma at the moment while at the beach.

After the books I read recently, its nice to read one that makes you forgot what you read last.

This one was really good, has its adorable moments, jelly beans, guess the movie between the two which I liked, and closure. Oh and let's add character development to the mix.

A quick verse read but still good if you're looking for a summer read.
♥Kel
Nov 30, 2012 ♥Kel rated it really liked it
Shelves: was-good
I thought this book was so good. This is the 1st book i ever read where the characters only knew each other for a couple of hours and fall in love. Even though this book was short, i read it in 2 days, it was detailed and i felt like i was feeling the character's emotions and thoughts and feelings. It was beautifully written, and i absolutely loved it.
Lena ♫ ♪
Jun 03, 2014 Lena ♫ ♪ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-release
7 days. That's how long I had to read The Day Before before I sent it off to the next person. 1 day. That's how long it took me to read it. Really, it's THAT good. I had to know what happened next! Then, due to a crazy random winter storm in Houston, I ended up keeping the book a little bit longer. What did I do? Reread it of course, only this time, slowly. I enjoyed Lisa's beautiful, poetic writing and felt the emotions behind the words. I actually got teary-eyed a few times.

This story is about
Cass -  Words on Paper
4.5/5 (4/5 or 4.5/5?)

Powerful and beautiful, raw and heartfelt. This book reads like a dream.

Told in verse, THE DAY BEFORE is about two teenagers who by some twist of fate, meet on the day before the end of their lives. Both seek refuge at the beach, and they are JUST what the other needs, just for today...

What I usually have problems with with verse novels is connecting with characters. But considering there are, essentially, only two characters of focus throughout the whole book, it was very e
{The review was originally published on Clear Eyes, Full Shelves.}

Many times
I don't want it

when it's over.

This day
is like the best
of both kinds
of books.

I could say the same for Lisa Schroeder's beautiful, moving novel in verse, The Day Befor
Simcsa
Just an example.. I had to share it, it's so true.

"Many times
each page,
I don’t want it

when it’s over."
Sep 17, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Have you ever read a few books by a certain author and decided the authors writing style and work just wasn't for you? Well, The Day Before is one of those books where I am glad I didn't give up on the author. Lisa Schroeders word isn't bad by any means. I just didn't connect to most of her characters and her books seemed very plain.

This book was full of such raw emotion that it is hard to NOT like it. It is told in the span of one day, pretty much, and in this one day the two main characters g
Bells
Apr 03, 2016 Bells rated it it was amazing
can i just say i loved this book with all my heart?
it was awesome. so authentic. the way its written. the style of the author that i absolutely loved. it made me felt so much.
Faye
Jun 18, 2011 Faye rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
I’ve always loved Schroeder’s writing. If you’ve read her book’s you know how beautiful it is. It’s written in verse but it has so much emotional impact on the characters part.

The characters are so full of emotion, in the beginning I was trying to figure out exactly what was going on with Amber. We get little glimpse of it from the letters her birth parents send. Amber is put in a tough spot dealing with her real parents (the ones who raised her) and her birth parents fighting for custody. Ambe
Carina
Jul 08, 2011 Carina rated it it was amazing
My Rating: 5.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
The Day Before is one of the most beautiful stories I have ever read. When I started reading this book, I did not expect to love a novel written in verse as much as I love this one. While the story itself and it's message is already wonderful, Lisa Schroeder's writing gives it such an amazing voice which I already missed once it was over.

I can't tell you much about the plot without giving interesting aspects away and spoiling the story for you, but the t
Aleeeeeza
Jul 13, 2011 Aleeeeeza rated it really liked it
When I first heard, about a year or so ago, that there were whole novels written in verse, my reaction: Say whaaat? They’re probably just written in ways that make them read like poems. Yeah, that’s it.

Then I read some Ellen Hopkins’ books samples on Amazon and found out that yep, WHOLE novels, every single word of the book, were written through poems—or more accurately, verse.

Color me utterly flabbergasted.

So the idiot that I am, I was convinced I’d hate those sort of books, mainly due to the f
Melissa (Book Nerd Reviews)
Hrm. Perhaps with this book what I will do is start of with what I liked about the book. I hate having to give negative reviews, and I am not entirely negative about this book. Simply put there was aspects I loved about it, and aspects I really didn't like and didn't connect with. But I am going to be as fair and constructive as possible.

There is absolute no dispute that Lisa Schroeder is a wonderful writer. I will admit I don't like prose and I don't have a lot of time for poetry. But she won m
Taylor
Dec 19, 2011 Taylor rated it it was amazing
Wow.
That is all I can say right now.
w
o
w

I picked up this book on a whim during my last library trip. I recognized it's spine while perusing the lovely spines of all the books. I remembered it was written in verse, and I thought, why the heck not? It's time I give this whole verse thing a try.

And I am so g l a d I did!

This book follows our main character Amber as she is trying desperately to just have a day for herself before everything changes. For a while, we know nothing. I was so confused as t
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Jun 02, 2011 Savannah (Books With Bite) rated it really liked it
This book is so heart wrenching. At first when I began to read it, I was confused. You were immediately dumped into the characters shoes, feeling hostile. As I kept reading, Ms. Schroeder began to unravel secrets little by little, making me finish this book in a mer amount of hours. I simply adore it!

The plot is simply fantastic! At times, I do get disappointed when the reader is dumped in the middle of what the character is going through and you have to read more and more to figure out what is
  • Other Words for Love
  • Paradise
  • Virtuosity
  • But I Love Him
  • And Then Things Fall Apart
Lisa Schroeder is the author of more than a dozen books for kids and teens. Her latest young adult novel is ALL WE HAVE IS NOW, and the latest novel for 8-12 year olds is THE GIRL IN THE TOWER. She lives in Oregon where she spends her time reading, writing, baking yummy treats, and hiking with her family.

twitter: www.twitter.com/lisa_schroeder
facebook: www.facebook.com/lisaschroederbooks
tumblr: ww
More about Lisa Schroeder...

“Oftentimes
each page,
I don't want it

when it's over.”
174 likes
“I get it. Sometimes you want to remember. And sometimes you need to forget.” 115 likes