The Day Before

The Day Before

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  5,160 ratings  ·  620 reviews
One moment can change everything.

Amber's life is spinning out of control. All she wants is to turn up the volume on her iPod until all of the demands of family and friends fade away. So she sneaks off to the beach to spend a day by herself.

Then Amber meets Cade. Their attraction is instant, and Amber can tell he's also looking for an escape. Together they decide to share a...more
Published June 28th 2011 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The Day Before, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day Before

Entwined by Heather DixonWither by Lauren DeStefanoUnearthly by Cynthia HandAcross the Universe by Beth RevisDarkest Mercy by Melissa Marr
Beautiful Book Covers of 2011
88th out of 638 books — 4,233 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDivergent by Veronica Roth
YA Novels of 2011
154th out of 1,275 books — 6,778 voters

More lists with this book...

Sab H.  (YA Bliss)
*sigh*

Some books are meant to be thought-provoking

Some are meant to steer up emotions

Some are just meant to be entertaining

And some, like this one,

are meant to make you smile, and appreciate.

If you've read Lisa's books,

you know what I'm talking about.

She always creates real characters,

Facing difficult moments

Beautiful stories, written in verse.

So this book is about the important things in life

The things that really count

The moments that take your breath away

The things you love

that make...more
Lisa
Aug 20, 2010 Lisa added it  ·  (Review from the author)
A novel for young adults about a girl named Amber and a boy named Cade and the 24 hours they spend together at the beach before their lives are turned upside-down.
Cara
This story (at least to me) felt like reading a beautiful long quote that captured a special moment of someone’s life. The writing flows effortlessly. I always say this but if you think you don't like books written in verse you have to read one by Lisa Schroeder.

In the beginning of the book we are presented to Amber who is planning a whole day to herself, before the dreaded next day in which her life will never be the same. We don't know what is hanging over Amber's head, but as the reader you c...more
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
Funny, two hours ago I was ready to go to the bed, and I just wanted some book to read few pages before I fall asleep! It looks like this book had other plans for me. Here I'm. Two hours later, and I can say this book took my breath away! I always thought that I don't like the books written in verse, but I was wrong. Words feel somehow more powerful in verse, and then whole story does too. One more thing while i was reading this book this lyrics was stacked in my head, so I'll share it:
" If I l...more
Jasprit
(4.5 stars)

I don’t really have the words to describe what I felt about The day before, other than it was simply beautiful.

Fate brings Amber and Cade to meet at the aquarium; both characters are dealing with their own problems and just want a day to escape from them. However what starts off as a chance meeting ends up providing an unforgettable day for both, the day before their lives will significantly change.

The day before was written in verse, this was a first for me and I thought that I woul...more
Emily May

Wow, this book really affected me, I'm kind of reeling from it at the moment and I owe a huge thanks to Jasprit who sent me the galleygrab newsletter for this. To be honest, if it wasn't a galleygrab freebie I doubt I would have ever read this beautiful, moving novel.

I was surprised to find it written in verse, my experience (generally centred around the novels of Ellen Hopkins) is that this can do wonders for a novel or send it sprawling flat on it's face. In this case, it worked so so...more
Jan 03, 2012 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Laura by: Cara's Review inspired me to pick this one up!
Books written in verse have always scared me. I created this painful, flowery image to the format for some reason. But messing with the traditional story telling way is one of my favorite things to see and come across in this world. Soooo….I had to give this style a chance. I am so happy I did! I can’t believe my heart almost missed this experience.

The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder is truly a warm, beautiful reading experience that pulled me right in. The style and words had my attention with one...more
Tracey
Teen fiction; poetry novella (romance). Personally I don't care for these novels written in verse (poetry is very hard to do well, and a whole novel of mediocre poetry quickly gets tiresome), though they can be more easily devoured by reluctant readers--I'd probably still give them something from Ellen Hopkins instead though, as this title has much less action/drama. But I did skim ahead to find out what was the deal with these two kids, whose lives will apparently be forever changed on the morr...more
Princess Bookie
My Thoughts: Another awesome book by Schroeder! We are introduced to Amber who needs to just have one day by herself. She has a new problem in her personal life and she has trouble dealing with it. She just doesn't think its fair. She goes to the beach and meets Cade. Cade is also having a day by himself as well. Honestly, I don't want to give any spoilers as to why they are both spending a day by themselves because when its revealed, it really makes you think hard and makes you tear up. Its bet...more
Ceilidh
I have never read a YA book written in verse before so this was a first for me. I tend to be biased towards prose and drama in my English lit studies as well but I thought it would be interesting to give this one a go to see if the choice of medium would be suitable to tell a story and how affecting it would be.

To be completely honest, I didn’t really connect to this book. The choice of verse to tell Amber’s story wasn’t completely successful in my opinion, although there are a few moments wher...more
Morgan F
Verse novels are really tricky for me. Either I think them beautiful and haunting (Glimpse and Sold), or gimmicky. This one kind of straddled the middle.

I was so routing for Amber in the beginning. The writing was beautiful, and her backstory was revealed slowly and delicately. Interspersing Amber's musings on the "day before", were notes and letters from her family that allow the reader to examine Amber's situation.

I even liked Cade in the beginning too, when he was just a cute, mysterious bo...more
Lena ♫ ♪
7 days. That's how long I had to read The Day Before before I sent it off to the next person. 1 day. That's how long it took me to read it. Really, it's THAT good. I had to know what happened next! Then, due to a crazy random winter storm in Houston, I ended up keeping the book a little bit longer. What did I do? Reread it of course, only this time, slowly. I enjoyed Lisa's beautiful, poetic writing and felt the emotions behind the words. I actually got teary-eyed a few times.

This story is about...more
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Just one day. That's what two teens need is one day to forget their current dilemma at the moment while at the beach.

After the books I read recently, its nice to read one that makes you forgot what you read last.

This one was really good, has its adorable moments, jelly beans, guess the movie between the two which I liked, and closure. Oh and let's add character development to the mix.

A quick verse read but still good if you're looking for a summer read.
♥Kel
I thought this book was so good. This is the 1st book i ever read where the characters only knew each other for a couple of hours and fall in love. Even though this book was short, i read it in 2 days, it was detailed and i felt like i was feeling the character's emotions and thoughts and feelings. It was beautifully written, and i absolutely loved it.
Tina
Original post at One More Page

This is a book
written in verse.
My second one.
And I thought
it would be a nice writing exercise
to write a review the same way.

The Day Before was about a girl named Amber
who seemed to have ran away to the beach
to spend one day for herself.
The circumstances were mysterious,
and I was kept in the dark
for most of the time.
Amber meets Cade.
There was attraction.
But there was something about Cade
that disturbed Amber.
Like he had a dark secret.
Amber didn't want to destroy th...more
Melissa (Book Nerd Reviews)
Hrm. Perhaps with this book what I will do is start of with what I liked about the book. I hate having to give negative reviews, and I am not entirely negative about this book. Simply put there was aspects I loved about it, and aspects I really didn't like and didn't connect with. But I am going to be as fair and constructive as possible.

There is absolute no dispute that Lisa Schroeder is a wonderful writer. I will admit I don't like prose and I don't have a lot of time for poetry. But she won m...more
{The review was originally published on Clear Eyes, Full Shelves.}

Many times
I don't want it

when it's over.

This day
is like the best
of both kinds
of books.

I could say the same for Lisa Schroeder's beautiful, moving novel in verse, The Day Before...more
Melinda
Once, in the ninth grade
Our assignment
was
to create a collage
out of
old magazines.
Lois cut out the words,
"and then I dreamed...."
and left her poster board

blank

except for those words.

Genius, really.
While her project looked
very creative and artsy,
she could now spend her time

doing her nails

writing notes to her boyfriend

chewing gum
while the rest of us
worked.

BUT Mr. Pickett
saw through it!
He said "this is not art".
He wanted C*O*N*T*E*N*T.

This book is like that.
Weak stor...more
Simcsa
Just an example.. I had to share it, it's so true.

"Many times
each page,
I don’t want it

when it’s over."
Faye
I’ve always loved Schroeder’s writing. If you’ve read her book’s you know how beautiful it is. It’s written in verse but it has so much emotional impact on the characters part.

The characters are so full of emotion, in the beginning I was trying to figure out exactly what was going on with Amber. We get little glimpse of it from the letters her birth parents send. Amber is put in a tough spot dealing with her real parents (the ones who raised her) and her birth parents fighting for custody. Ambe...more
Carina
My Rating: 5.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
The Day Before is one of the most beautiful stories I have ever read. When I started reading this book, I did not expect to love a novel written in verse as much as I love this one. While the story itself and it's message is already wonderful, Lisa Schroeder's writing gives it such an amazing voice which I already missed once it was over.

I can't tell you much about the plot without giving interesting aspects away and spoiling the story for you, but the t...more
Aleeeeeza
When I first heard, about a year or so ago, that there were whole novels written in verse, my reaction: Say whaaat? They’re probably just written in ways that make them read like poems. Yeah, that’s it.

Then I read some Ellen Hopkins’ books samples on Amazon and found out that yep, WHOLE novels, every single word of the book, were written through poems—or more accurately, verse.

Color me utterly flabbergasted.

So the idiot that I am, I was convinced I’d hate those sort of books, mainly due to the f...more
Cass -  Words on Paper
4.5/5 (4/5 or 4.5/5?)

Powerful and beautiful, raw and heartfelt. This book reads like a dream.

Told in verse, THE DAY BEFORE is about two teenagers who by some twist of fate, meet on the day before the end of their lives. Both seek refuge at the beach, and they are JUST what the other needs, just for today...

What I usually have problems with with verse novels is connecting with characters. But considering there are, essentially, only two characters of focus throughout the whole book, it was very e...more
Taylor
Wow.
That is all I can say right now.
w
o
w

I picked up this book on a whim during my last library trip. I recognized it's spine while perusing the lovely spines of all the books. I remembered it was written in verse, and I thought, why the heck not? It's time I give this whole verse thing a try.

And I am so g l a d I did!

This book follows our main character Amber as she is trying desperately to just have a day for herself before everything changes. For a while, we know nothing. I was so confused as t...more
Devyani

I will
try to embrace
this day

the day before.”

this verse is just so pretty and such a treat to the eyes as well as the ears :)

The Day Before written by Lisa Schroeder is a beauty in each and every , not only is the plot unique but th...more
Courtney
I love Lisa Schroeder's style. It's gentle and heartfelt, never cloying, and works its way right into your bones. I felt this when I read Chasing Brooklyn and I felt it again reading The Day Before and when I closed both books, I was very satisfied. In The Day Before, we follow Amber, who has orchestrated an entire day for herself. She's on the brink of some big changes and she needs a temporary escape. Some time to herself without limits. So she sneaks out of her house, hires a limo to take her...more
Mary (BookHounds)
I am always amazed at Lisa Schroeder's books which are written in verse. They can convey so much emotion in so very little words. I would think it is next to impossible to get across a complete story with so few passages, but like a song, you get everything. There are two major twists to this story, ones that I have not seen in a young adult book before.

The story is two lost souls meeting and understanding each other like no other has understood them before. Amber has been hit with some horribl...more
Frida - Photos and Books
Ja, jag grät när jag avslutade den här boken. Faktiskt inte för att jag var ledsen utan för jag har inte läst något så vackert på läänge! Alltså de parallellerna som gjorde i boken fick mig att gråta tusen gånger om! Jag måste alltså köpa alla Lisa Schoeders böcker!!! Ett mååååsste! :D

Alltså hur Lisa Schoeder kan få vilken situation som helst att verka underbar som hemsk. Sorglig som lycklig! Hon har verkligen kontrollen över de orden hon använder sig utav och jag avgudar henne för det!

Ni som h...more
Page (One Book At A Time)
I've only read one book by Lisa Schroeder, but I thoroughly enjoyed the style of writing she uses. She managed to capture emotions so beautifully. This is no exception.

I wasn't sure on Amber at first. She seemed to be really angry about something. Since it's obviously young adult, I wasn't sure if it was justifiable (I was thinking something trivial). I should have known better. I was absolutely shocked at what Amber was doing and why. I really felt for her the moment I figured out the truth. Ma...more
Sonia
Hello, book that I love. I loved you... a lot. More than I expected to, in fact. Thank you for being wonderful.

The Day Before is the first novel that I've ever read in verse. I was intrigued by the concept but nervous that I wouldn't be able to get into it. I need not have worried though because Lisa's writing is gorgeous and easy to get into. I could feel the emotion and I loved the imagery - fantastic job all around.

We start off the book not really knowing much about what's going on and you c...more
  • Other Words for Love
  • Ordinary Beauty
  • Freefall
  • Small Town Sinners
  • Past Perfect
Lisa Schroeder is the author of more than a dozen books for kids and teens. Her latest young adult novel is THE BRIDGE FROM ME TO YOU, and the latest series for 8-12 year olds is called CHARMED LIFE. She lives in Oregon where she spends her time reading, writing, baking yummy treats, and hiking with her family.

twitter: www.twitter.com/lisa_schroeder
facebook: www.facebook.com/lisaschroederbooks
tumb...more
More about Lisa Schroeder...
I Heart You, You Haunt Me Chasing Brooklyn Far from You It's Raining Cupcakes Falling For You

“Oftentimes
each page,
I don't want it

when it's over.”
162 likes
“I get it. Sometimes you want to remember. And sometimes you need to forget.” 103 likes