Start by marking “The Cosmic Perspective” as Want to Read:
The Cosmic Perspective

The Cosmic Perspective

Building on a long tradition of effective pedagogy and comprehensive coverage, The Cosmic Perspective, Sixth Edition provides the most engaging and up-to-date introduction to astronomy for non-science majors. The text provides a wealth of features to help enhance student skill building, including new Visual Skills Check end-of-chapter questions that provide an opportunity ...more
Paperback, Sixth Edition, 725 pages
Published December 16th 2009 by Addison-Wesley (first published February 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Cosmic Perspective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cosmic Perspective

Rosa
Apr 20, 2015 Rosa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Obviously I didn't fully read this, but when you spend hours dedicated to reading something, even only large chunks of it, it feels so unfair not to include it in your book goal despite not reading it cover to cover.

Still feel like I'm cheating :(
Briana Herlihy
Dec 13, 2014 Briana Herlihy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly wonderful and comprehensive introduction to astronomy and cosmology. Great for anyone interested in the qualitative side of the universe, though there are great (separate) sections that explain the mathematics as well. This was a perfect start for a self-study course in cosmology.
Tso William
Apr 22, 2016 Tso William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, non-fiction
Reality provides us with facts so romantic that imagination itself could add nothing to them. - Jules Verne

The difference between astronomy and astrology lies not simply one being a scientific discipline while the other is not. The greater difference is that astronomy represents the triumph of human imagination . All the apparent symbols in the tarot cards or the daily vague predictions of the zodiac signs at the back of the newspapers seem hopelessly childish when compared with the massive st
Tom Oman
Jul 23, 2013 Tom Oman rated it it was amazing
Probably the first textbook I ever sat down and read from cover to cover, and I was not even in the class!

This book will open your mind to space and the universe. It became an obsession of mine after reading this book. A wide range of topics are discussed that provide a strong base of scientific knowledge in general.

It was only upon finishing this book that the profundity of the title dawned on me; after reading the cosmic perspective, my perspective was truly cosmic.

This book gave me great plea
Steven
Apr 14, 2016 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
In terms of textbooks, really not a bad read. Actually, if I'm honest, this is the only textbook I have ever actually read through. And when I say read, I mean I read most of it, but I'm counting it as a read book because I saw a different review where the author said they read most of it, so they were counting it, and I was like "Yup, makes sense. I too will do that."

I know, I know: saying "...the author said they..." is improper grammar. Sue me*.

*Please don't sue me. I'm a poor student who she
Serenity
Dec 09, 2011 Serenity rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with an academic interest in Astronomy
Shelves: non-fiction
One of THE best textbooks I have ever encountered across a wide range of subjects! Used it for an undergrad Intro to Astronomy course. One of the few textbooks I have actually read more than half of, and enjoyed! Extremely interesting content presented in a straight-forward and entertaining way. The structure of book and the way things are explained made it very easy to understand. Also, great pictures, diagrams, summaries, interesting facts, and practice problems. I could not have asked for a ...more
Lia
Dec 17, 2009 Lia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I very much enjoyed my astronomy class, even though this text was a lot drier than the one for my astronomy course through BNU. But I learned so much more!

Classmates seemed to think it was a challenging course, but I enjoyed every minute. Probably because it's some of my favorite subject matter... science and especially astronomy!

I love this book because it taught me so much!
Katherine
Dec 14, 2015 Katherine rated it it was amazing
A great textbook for inspiring people new to the field of astronomy. Clear explanations and illustrations, and very accessible to those without a technical background. I believe the world we live in would be a more pleasant place if everyone would try to understand the ideas presented in this book.
Colleen Earle
This is a superb text book. It has the perfect mix of humour and fun facts. The only thing that's missing is more awesome stories about Tycho Brahe.

I highly recommend reading the whole book, especially if it's a required text for an astronomy course.
Nostalgia Reader
Excellent introduction to astronomy, especially for those of us who enjoy science but are liberal-arts-minded. Very comprehensive, definitely a keeper.
Kate
Dec 09, 2011 Kate marked it as to-read
Recommended to Kate by: Dartmouth professor
"why scientists experience as much beauty in the exploration of the natural world as, say, artists do in expressing the essentials of humanity" Yorke Brown
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was ok
Jun 08, 2014
Damian Alexander
Damian Alexander rated it did not like it
Jun 27, 2014
Burnie.Kerkulah
Burnie.Kerkulah rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
احمد نجم
احمد نجم rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Jenn Hiatt
Jenn Hiatt rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2014
Niki
Niki rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2016
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2013
M.
Nov 05, 2013 M. rated it really liked it
Shelves: space
Wealth of information with plenty of illustrations. Worth a cover to cover read.
Doug
Doug rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was ok
Jun 30, 2016
Brittany
Brittany rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2015
Charles Peck
Charles Peck rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Justin Parish
Justin Parish rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Meghan Bartos
Meghan Bartos rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2014
Blair Boggs
Jul 21, 2013 Blair Boggs rated it it was amazing
Very good textbook. It explains things well and its visuals are very helpful.
Estrella
Estrella rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2013
Clarice
Clarice rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2014
Jeffrey Bennett
Jan 29, 2012 Jeffrey Bennett rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2012
  • A Concise Introduction to Logic (Book & CD-ROM)
  • Universe
  • Einstein's Telescope: The Hunt for Dark Matter and Dark Energy in the Universe
  • The Thirteen Books of the Elements, Books 1 - 2
  • An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics
  • Conceptual Physics
  • The Accelerating Universe: Infinite Expansion, the Cosmological Constant, and the Beauty of the Cosmos
  • Master Mind: The Rise and Fall of Fritz Haber, the Nobel Laureate Who Launched the Age of Chemical Warfare
  • Evolution: The History of an Idea
  • The Vanishing Face of Gaia: A Final Warning
  • Exploring Psychology, in Modules
  • The Lonely American: Drifting Apart in the Twenty-first Century
  • Strange New Worlds: The Search for Alien Planets and Life Beyond Our Solar System
  • The Scientific Revolution
  • The Illustrated Dream Dictionary
  • Learning American Sign Language: Levels I & II--Beginning & Intermediate
  • The Mutant Season (Fire in Winter, #1)
  • The View from the Center of the Universe: Discovering Our Extraordinary Place in the Cosmos