Start by marking “Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1-3)

Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  879 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Young Arabel's life is changed forever when her father, a taxi driver, brings home an injured bird he finds in the street. This wacky raven eats everything in sight, answers the telephone by squawking "Nevermore!" andcauses chaos wherever he goes--but Arabel loves her new feathered friend, whom she names Mortimer.
This is the first volume of Arabel and Mortimer's adventure
Published September 1st 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Arabel's Raven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arabel's Raven

A number of years ago, I wrote to my elemetary school librarian at Coudersport Elem. School (PA) telling her how much I remembered loving this book. She actually pulled it from the shelves and sent it to me - and it still has the checkout card in the back with my name on it, dated 9/29/76, Jenny, Room 47. It even smells the way I remember it smelling. Haha.
I've always loved Joan Aiken's Wolves of Willoughby Chase series and
this younger book lives up to it but is altogether a lighter, frothier confection. Arabel's raven Mortimer does not like to fly. He wants to be pulled around in a red wooden wagon. He likes potato chips. He sulks when not allowed to sleep in the breadbox. ("We could get another breadbox," suggests Arabel helpfully.) Wherever Mortimer goes, havoc ensues. But he's not all bad: he frustrates burglars, avenges Arabel against her ve
Barbara Bryant
Well, of course I loved it. I read this years ago along with the companion Arabel and Mortimer and enjoyed both thoroughly. I am sad to say these two have been discarded from my library and I was just able to grab this one before it went in a bin.

Joan Aiken is of course a well-known and loved children's author and I had particularly liked The Wolves of Willoughby Chase which I read as an adult, as I did these. If you know a child who loves animals, quirky humor, wordplay and British authors, thi
This book was a cute break from the rest of my reading. A taxicab driver brings home a large raven that he saw struck on the side of the road. His daughter, Arabel, takes to it immediately and they become fast friends. The raven, Mortimer, is still a bird, albeit an intelligent one, and gets himself into trouble in many varied ways. He both steals and brings in the real robbers. He demolishes stairs. He enjoys putting coins in vending machines.
Anyone who likes a little whimsy and a characteristi
The girls laughed themselves silly over this book. Mortimer the Raven has so much personality. The Wolves of Willoughby Chase was one of my most favorite books as a child so I'm surprised I never heard of this one by the same author. We are all looking forward to the sequel.
Camilla Sofia
Brilliant, quintessential British kids' lit. Uproariously funny and tender throughout, and written with such wit and insight into the mind of a small child. A definite must-read.
Anthony Faber
Arabel & Mortimer #1. Three stories about a little girl and her badly behaved raven. they get into all sorts of fixes, but end up on top, often catching robbers and stuff. A lot like Roald Dahl's children's books.
I remember loving this. Have not read it in years but will read it to my son sometime.
Molly Westerman
Fun and pleasantly quirky, but dragged on rather--I was ready for it to end quite a while before it did (though my six-year-old wasn't! he thought the whole thing was freaking hilarious). Mortimer the raven and little human Arabel are likeable, and Arabel seems like a real and interesting child rather than being annoyingly perfect or stereotypical.

Bonus points for having a competent and fun male babysitter: I imagine if this book were written today, Chris would be a "she"! Anyway, it's nice to s
This book is quite funny! We really enjoyed listening to it, and Daughter can croak out "Nevermore!" just like the reader. However, it is INTENSELY British, and the seven-year old American didn't really catch most of those references. I found myself continuously interpreting (biscuits=cookies, lift=elevator) both words and cultural references (tea time, unions, attitudes and manner-expectations)

An aside: I was fascinated to have this book reveal to me just how different the language of English i
Super silly and funny stories about Arabel and her raven. For Roald Dahl fans.
This another great series from my childhood. Joan Aiken combines thoughtful storytelling to a Roald Dahl-type comedic story. There never is really any theme expressed, other than that no one is smarter than this raven (who, consequently, never says more than one word throughout the series). Though simpler writing fits it for more of a younger teen audience, the series can still be appreciated for its witty slapstick humor.
Erin Bell
Loved this book as a kid, decided to pick it up again for fun. Still love it. My only disappointment is that the Kindle edition I picked up had replaced all the British with American. For example, I remember that what Arabel and Chris were looking for in the last story was paraffin, not kerosene. Little details like that were disappointing, but all in all it was the same collection of stories I loved as a child.
Ann Moody
This cute and fun story collection is definitely a safe way to start a discussion with children on why "Nevermore" is a proper and classic thing for ravens to say. Perhaps when my progeny embarks upon a study of Poe, some years hence, fond memories of Arabel and Mortimer will mitigate the creepiness factor.
DJ Yossarian
We like absurdity 'round our house, so this book made a fantastic bedtime read, although our 7 year old frequently burst out laughing as we read to him, so it didn't always get people in a sleepy mood. The illustrations by Quentin Blake are a perfect compliment to the madness that Mortimer effortlessly creates.
I apparently missed this book when I was a kid, but I'm looking forward to making sure my kids don't have the same misfortune. Extremely silly and funny! The reader for the audiobook also did an excellent job.
We enjoyed listening to this as an audiobook, which was lovely with the British accent. Looking forward to getting the next Raven book to read--quite funny.
Mandy Blackburn
I have discovered I love Joan Aiken's whimsical style, reminds me of Roald Dahl. Mortimer, the raven, is a great mischeivous yet lovable character.
If you have primary school children, please let them read this. Or better still, read it to them. You will enjoy it more than them.
Josie B.
I loved this as a kid; i think i enjoyed listening to it more as an adult. Sneha Mathan does an incredible job with the voices.
Take an unusual family, add an unusually intelligent and all too usually mischievous raven, and chaos ensues! Fun, quick read.
Kathy Hale
This was a cute book about a little girl and her pet Raven who keeps eating or pecking at everything. Very British.
One of the stories contains ableist language that my child found hurtful. Other than that, it was very good.
I read this a long time ago when I was a kid... but I'd really like to read it again and remind myself.
It's a cute collection about Mortimer the raven and Arabel, all their mishaps and heartwarming nonsense.
a delight, a remant. 'To think I'll never see him digging for diamonds in the coal-scuttle any more!'
Loved this for Kylin, enjoyed it for me, too! Am off to see what else I can find by this author...
This book was total nonsense. At times the story was slow, but mostly a delightful read.
Another Aiken book that I loved when I was 8 or 9. I remember this as being very funny.
Cute stories. I can see how a younger child would find them hilarious.
  • Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures, #1)
  • The Silver Crown
  • The Mouse and His Child
  • The Mad Scientists' Club (Mad Scientists' Club, #1)
  • The Big Orange Splot
  • Toys Go Out: Being the Adventures of a Knowledgeable Stingray, a Toughy Little Buffalo, and Someone Called Plastic
  • The Adventures of Harold and the Purple Crayon
  • Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine (Danny Dunn, #3)
  • A Whole Nother Story
  • Secret Identity (Shredderman, #1)
  • Cartoon History of the Universe I, Vol. 1-7: From the Big Bang to Alexander the Great
  • Novels by Walter Moers: The 13 1|2 Lives of Captain Bluebear, Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures, the City of Dreaming Books (Zamonia, #1, #3, #4) (Dreaming Books, #1)
  • The House with a Clock in Its Walls (Lewis Barnavelt, #1)
  • The House of Dies Drear
  • Two Crafty Criminals!: and how they were Captured by the Daring Detectives of the New Cut Gang
  • Henry and Mudge - The First Book
  • Anna Hibiscus (Anna Hibiscus, #1)
  • Me and the Pumpkin Queen
Joan Delano Aiken was a much loved English writer who received the MBE for services to Children's Literature. Her most famous classic, THE WOLVES OF WILLOUGHBY CHASE,has been celebrating its 50th Anniversary with the publication of three brand new editions of the book and a new AUDIO recorded by her daughter Lizza.

More about Joan Aiken...

Arabel and Mortimer (8 books)
  • Arabel, Mortimer, and the Escaped Black Mamba (Arabel and Mortimer, #2)
  • Mortimer's Bread Bin (Arabel and Mortimer, #3)
  • Mortimer's Tie (Arabel and Mortimer, #4)
  • Mortimer and the Sword Excalibur (Arabel and Mortimer, #5)
  • The Spiral Stair (Arabel and Mortimer, #6)
  • The Mystery of Mr. Jones's Disappearing Taxi (Arabel and Mortimer, #7)
  • Mortimer's Portrait on Glass (Arabel and Mortimer, #9)
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1) Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2) Nightbirds on Nantucket (The Wolves Chronicles, #3) Jane Fairfax The Cuckoo Tree (The Wolves Chronicles, #6)