Arabel's Raven

Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer #1)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  526 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Young Arabel's life is changed forever when her father, a taxi driver, brings home an injured bird he finds in the street. This wacky raven eats everything in sight, answers the telephone by squawking "Nevermore!" andcauses chaos wherever he goes--but Arabel loves her new feathered friend, whom she names Mortimer.
This is the first volume of Arabel and Mortimer's adventure...more
Published September 1st 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1972)

A number of years ago, I wrote to my elemetary school librarian at Coudersport Elem. School (PA) telling her how much I remembered loving this book. She actually pulled it from the shelves and sent it to me - and it still has the checkout card in the back with my name on it, dated 9/29/76, Jenny, Room 47. It even smells the way I remember it smelling. Haha.
Camilla Sofia
Brilliant, quintessential British kids' lit. Uproariously funny and tender throughout, and written with such wit and insight into the mind of a small child. A definite must-read.
Anthony Faber
Arabel & Mortimer #1. Three stories about a little girl and her badly behaved raven. they get into all sorts of fixes, but end up on top, often catching robbers and stuff. A lot like Roald Dahl's children's books.
Molly Westerman
Fun and pleasantly quirky, but dragged on rather--I was ready for it to end quite a while before it did (though my six-year-old wasn't! he thought the whole thing was freaking hilarious). Mortimer the raven and little human Arabel are likeable, and Arabel seems like a real and interesting child rather than being annoyingly perfect or stereotypical.

Bonus points for having a competent and fun male babysitter: I imagine if this book were written today, Chris would be a "she"! Anyway, it's nice to s...more
Tanya
This book is quite funny! We really enjoyed listening to it, and Daughter can croak out "Nevermore!" just like the reader. However, it is INTENSELY British, and the seven-year old American didn't really catch most of those references. I found myself continuously interpreting (biscuits=cookies, lift=elevator) both words and cultural references (tea time, unions, attitudes and manner-expectations)

An aside: I was fascinated to have this book reveal to me just how different the language of English i...more
Seth
This another great series from my childhood. Joan Aiken combines thoughtful storytelling to a Roald Dahl-type comedic story. There never is really any theme expressed, other than that no one is smarter than this raven (who, consequently, never says more than one word throughout the series). Though simpler writing fits it for more of a younger teen audience, the series can still be appreciated for its witty slapstick humor.
Erin Bell
Loved this book as a kid, decided to pick it up again for fun. Still love it. My only disappointment is that the Kindle edition I picked up had replaced all the British with American. For example, I remember that what Arabel and Chris were looking for in the last story was paraffin, not kerosene. Little details like that were disappointing, but all in all it was the same collection of stories I loved as a child.
Tasia
It's a cute collection about Mortimer the raven and Arabel, all their mishaps and heartwarming nonsense.
DJ Yossarian
We like absurdity 'round our house, so this book made a fantastic bedtime read, although our 7 year old frequently burst out laughing as we read to him, so it didn't always get people in a sleepy mood. The illustrations by Quentin Blake are a perfect compliment to the madness that Mortimer effortlessly creates.
Jackie
I apparently missed this book when I was a kid, but I'm looking forward to making sure my kids don't have the same misfortune. Extremely silly and funny! The reader for the audiobook also did an excellent job.
Lorna
We enjoyed listening to this as an audiobook, which was lovely with the British accent. Looking forward to getting the next Raven book to read--quite funny.
Mandy Blackburn
I have discovered I love Joan Aiken's whimsical style, reminds me of Roald Dahl. Mortimer, the raven, is a great mischeivous yet lovable character.
Donna
If you have primary school children, please let them read this. Or better still, read it to them. You will enjoy it more than them.
Deb
Take an unusual family, add an unusually intelligent and all too usually mischievous raven, and chaos ensues! Fun, quick read.
Kathy Hale
This was a cute book about a little girl and her pet Raven who keeps eating or pecking at everything. Very British.
Fiona
I read this a long time ago when I was a kid... but I'd really like to read it again and remind myself.
meg
a delight, a remant. 'To think I'll never see him digging for diamonds in the coal-scuttle any more!'
Lalah
Loved this for Kylin, enjoyed it for me, too! Am off to see what else I can find by this author...
Colleenish
This book was total nonsense. At times the story was slow, but mostly a delightful read.
elissa
Another Aiken book that I loved when I was 8 or 9. I remember this as being very funny.
Leslie
Cute stories. I can see how a younger child would find them hilarious.
Tiffany Bills
Oct 20, 2011 Tiffany Bills marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
I loved Mortimer when I was young! Wonder if it will still be funny to me.
Nicole
A wonderful read-aloud and the illustrations will bring out the laughs.
Voracious
Good, but maybe one of those books you have to read as a child to REALLY love?
Emmaj
One of my all time favorites!
I just love Joan Aiken
Brenna
This is one of my favorite children's books ever!
Tai
Would make a GREAT read-aloud to any kid!
Jessica
Man, I totally wanted a raven to name Mortimer!
Leslie
The kids liked this one as well.
Lois
Children's -
Too young for HS
  • Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures, #1)
  • The Silver Crown
  • The Mouse and His Child
  • The Mad Scientists' Club (Mad Scientists' Club, #1)
  • The Big Orange Splot
  • Toys Go Out
  • The Adventures of Harold and the Purple Crayon
  • Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine (Danny Dunn, #3)
  • A Whole Nother Story
  • Secret Identity (Shredderman, #1)
  • Cartoon History of the Universe I, Vol. 1-7: From the Big Bang to Alexander the Great
  • The House With a Clock in Its Walls (Lewis Barnavelt, #1)
  • The House of Dies Drear
  • Carbonel: The King of Cats (Carbonel, #1)
  • Henry and Mudge: The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1)
  • Owl at Home
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky
  • The Saturdays (The Melendy Family, #1)
12075
Joan Delano Aiken was a much loved English writer who received the MBE for services to Children's Literature. Her most famous classic, THE WOLVES OF WILLOUGHBY CHASE,has been celebrating its 50th Anniversary with the publication of three brand new editions of the book and a new AUDIO recorded by her daughter Lizza.

Follow THE JOAN AIKEN BLOG at http://joanaiken.wordpress.com/

Read NEWS & NEW PUB...more
More about Joan Aiken...
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1) Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2) Nightbirds on Nantucket (The Wolves Chronicles, #3) Jane Fairfax Midnight Is a Place