The Minpins

The Minpins

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,836 ratings  ·  103 reviews
Bridging the world of traditional fairy tales and magical fantasy, Roald Dahl again proves himself the master of children's literature, creating a world to spark the imagination. Filled with terrifying nightmare creatures and captivating "little people," all captured in the fascinating and mysterious paintings of an award-winning illustrator. Full color throughout.
Published October 1st 1991 by Viking Juvenile (first published 1991)

Anna  Matsuyama
“Watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”

This is the last book Roald Dahl wrote.

Megan Chard
Roald Dahl has worked his magic with The Minpins, creating wonderful creatures of childhood fantasy and loyalty between friends with amazing illustrations by Patrick Benson.

Little Billy is bored of always being good, all he wants to do is go outside and explore the Forest of Sin beyond the garden gate. But his Mother warns him of the dangers within the Forest with the rhyme "Beware! Beware! The Forest of Sin! None come out, but many go in"! She tells Little Billy of the blood-thirsty Whangdoodl...more
Peggy
When I first started reading this one to my 7-year-old I was little concerned that it might give him nightmares - it starts off a bit scary. The devil whispers in the little boy's ear, he goes into the Forest of Sin, and then is chased by a terrifying monster who wants to eat him... but it eventually comes around and the little boy and the Minpins (the tiny people who inhabit the forest) eventually kill the terrifying monster rather easily. It's a very satisfying story for a 7-year-old boy (or a...more
Tasha
In this book the little boy disobeys his mom, gets into trouble. He does save himself and a group of little people, and in the end is rewarded for his deeds. However, he never has to account for disobeying his mom and hides the truth from her.
Charlotte
May 18, 2013 Charlotte rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Older children
Recommended to Charlotte by: Found it in library
Shelves: children-s-books
Interesting story, although having read it a few years ago I struggle to remember exactly what the plot was. None the less I know I enjoyed it.
Kim
I have a funny story about this book.

I read it for the first time in first grade. I loved it. I'm fairly certain I read it multiple times between first and third grade. The story is great and the pictures are stunning. Alas, I changed schools in third grade, and then changed again in fifth, and the title of the book was lost. I remembered the story but not what it was called.

Flash forward to just before my sixteenth birthday. Feeling nostalgic, I told my mom that for a gift, I wanted to track do...more
Linda Lipko
his is the last work of Dahl's and was printed in 1991 a year after his death.

Illustrated by Patrick Benson, this book has more of a fairy tale quality about it than the others. The story line seems more sleep like and simple. It is a quiet book, unlike Dahl's previous works that at times seem to me to be noisy with images flying all over the pages.

Little Billy's mother is over protective and ever fearful he will get into trouble.

Billy escapes to the forest of sin where

"None come out, but many g...more
Corinne
Little Billy was told to NEVER go into the Forest of Sin. It was full of terrible creatures that could stomp you flat or eat you right up. So of course, it's the most tempting place EVER, right? What could a little boy do but sneak out the window and make his way into that terrfying place?

What he finds there will shock, frighten and amaze him. Because not only are there beasties that do really want to eat you, but there is also a civilization of tiny people who live in trees. Once Little Billy m...more
PurplyCookie
Little Billy, bored with being good, ignores his mother's admonition to stay out of The Forest of Sin where "none come out, but many go in." He succumbs to the Devil's invitation to explore the forest for himself. All is well until the boy hears the alarming sounds of a fire-breathing monster headed right for him. Luckily he discovers a tree of convenient size where, on climbing to its upper branches, he finds a whole village of miniature people.

I really like the idea of postage stamp-sized win...more
Cruth
First published: 1991
Author: Roald Dahl
Illustrator: Patrick Benson
48 pages
Large format paperback
Novella length, no chapters.

The only Roald Dahl book *never* illustrated by Blake. (Quentin discusses it here http://www.webofstories.com/play/16714), "The Minpins" was Dahl's final book and posthumously published.

"The Minpins" is an unusual Dahl story - a fairy tale but without his trademark humor. It's quite scary in the beginning but overall has a Hans Christian Anderson feel. The illustrations are...more
Carly
The Minpins takes the reader on an adventure to a forest where we do not know if the character is ever going to make it out of. From the beginning, the reader is left with questions; such as what is in the forest and is Little Billy going to go into the forest. In my opinion, children would love this book based off the adventure that they would go on and the suspense the book leaves behind. The illustrations in the book really help to bring the audience into the story by creating a picture of th...more
Rainier
BEWARE IN THE FOREST OF SIN
"be a chinise man" just read the bok no more!man hello! out 14... woumph!this is ab... yow! out a boy who m ... a ... a ... choo! akes the RED HOT SMOKE BELIED GRUNCHER die. YOUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK! whoah! that was...more
Deniss
Me gustó muchísimo. Envidio la valentía de Billy y admiro la bondad de los mimpins, junto con la solidaridad de los pájaros. El mundo que necesitamos. Y lo feo de crecer. Pero lo bonito de tener aventuras y vencer los miedos. Ay, ay, ay. Amo a Dahl.

Ojalá lo leyeran más y se hicieran menos imágenes de sus frases en tumblr.

De esta historia es otra famosa que todos ponen, pero quién sabe cuántos sí lo leen:

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest se...more
Erica
I read this only because Rain read it so fast, I couldn't believe that he had really read it. His ability to read is crazy, and he reads much faster than me now. So I had to read it in order to quiz him and see how much detail he is picking up, or if he is just skimming. Turns out, he really does read that fast. But, I am glad I read this fun little story, and I will actually go so far to say it might be one of my favorite Dahl books yet....because, at last, Dahl is not condescending of adults,...more
Lauren Kramer
I love Roald Dahl for his stories are so imaginitive and creative. This story is of Billy who is stuck at home always but wants to know what is what there in the forest. Being trapped inside by his over-protective mother, Billy manages to escape due to a strong curiosity. What he discovers is the most terrfiying beast of them all and hids to his own safety. What then brings Billy into comfort again is his wild discovery of the Minpins, little people who live in the trees. These Minpins end up wo...more
In "The Minpins," Roald Dahl creates a miniature magical world that is enjoyable to children and adults alike. While it has a bit too many words for a picture book, it is a good one for adults to read to children. There are many colorful pictures that engage children. The book tells the story of a young boy who becomes bored at home and sneaks into the forest. There he finds danger and refuge, as well as some little friends who help him along the way. This book shows the joys of childhood and ad...more
Emily
Of course The Minpins isn't as good as Dahl's books for older children, but as I read it last night, I imagined reading it out loud to the proscribed 3-8 year olds. I was at first reluctant to like something by Dahl that was not illustrated by Quentin Blake, but this one worked. The illustrations were fun, and I found myself stopping between pages of text to count little Minpins or examine the different kinds of birds. While it's clearly not Dahl's greatest work, it's still Dahl, and Dahl is goo...more
Snorkle
This was an amusing tale. This story was told in the typical Roald Dahl style and I loved the names of the monsters - they are especially fun to say out loud. The illustrations were nice, but I wasn't completely enamored with them. I liked the twist at the ending where Roald turned it back on the reader. I might recommend this book if you were an avid Roald Dahl reader.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2010...
Katie
This might be one of Roald Dahl's best works. It looks like a picture book, but definitely takes at least an hour to read to your kids. I read it over a few days to my 5 & 4 year old boys and they were totally entranced by the evil spittler/gruncher. They've been talking about him for days. And the overall message tells children to look for magic all around them. I really enjoyed it and my boys want to read it again with Dad.
Claire
May 09, 2010 Claire rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone who stands still long enugh to hear about it
Recommended to Claire by: Monica
This is a perennial favorite! It reads aloud so well, it has Roald Dahl's wicked sense of humor but not the edge that surfaces in some of his other tales. In this case little Billy succumbs to the lure of the wick Forest of Sin where fabled creatures lurk waiting to gobble young morsels right up. Well they haven't met our intrepid Little Billy and are in for a big surprise and we are in for a wonderful treat.
Heather
Roald Dahl captivated Maddy's attention on every page of this book. I loved the fact that the book moved so fast and was filled with an out-of-the ordinary imaginative world. I also enjoyed the many chances for predicting what was going to happen next with Maddy. It may be a little scary for some, but Maddy loved it!!! I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen. Wish I could meet a Minpin!
Charly-kate
The minpins is a great story. i havent actually read it, but i have heard the cassette version of it many times and it is exactly the same as the book, (just read to you out loud. I listened to it when i was about eight years old and found it very exciting and a little bit creepy too!
Thoroughly enjoyable to read and has a happy ending to it, which i know some Roald Dahl books do not.
Matt
Dahl's very last book, posthumously published. A good little picture book (although the pictures are not courtesy of Quentin Blake!) which left us with these last words: "And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."
Urvi
Beautiful illustrations! I've been trying to remember the title for ages to recommend it to friends who are parents.

Billy's mom warns him about going into the forest where an evil monster is - and when he ignores his warning he finds the Minpins, little people who live in trees and ride on birds as well as the monster he's be warned about... Such a beautiful book.
Mauritzvd
Het perfecte voorleesboek. De spanning bouwt snel en goed op, er zitten zeer veel rustpunten in en de tekeningen zijn fascinerend.

Als kind las ik het zelf al graag, en nu merk ik dat kinderen enorm graag worden voorgelezen uit dit spannende meesterwerkje. Een echte aanrader voor iedereen met kinderen of fantasie.

En ik klink eigenlijk niet graag lyrisch...
Loki
I wish I could give it six stars. It was 5 stars at one part of the book and three stars at the other part and two at the other part. 5 in the middle because I really liked the monster, 2 at the end because I didn't really like the last part so much because it was a happy ending, and 3 at the beginning because I kind of liked the story when he was at home.
Wendy
I am a huge Roald Dahl fan. I still have the news clipping from when he died in the early 90's. I have to say this is my least favorite of his books. It's not as clever, it doesn't have his usual illustrator and it's just not as good. I think it might have been published after he died. Ian only let me read him about 2 pages before he was done with it.
Sam
It was a book i read at least twice a day for a month when i was younger..........i'm still not over it
  • Strega Nona's Magic Lessons
  • Micawber
  • Chato and the Party Animals
  • A Day's Work
  • The Reluctant Dragon
  • The Irish Cinderlad
  • Arthur's Computer Disaster: An Arthur Adventure (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Three Samurai Cats: A Story from Japan
  • Mailing May
  • The Island of the Skog
  • Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch
  • Thirteen Moons on Turtle's Back

Dahl's first published work, inspired by a meeting with C. S. Forester, was Shot Down Over Libya. Today the story is published as "A Piece of Cake". The story, about his wartime a...more
More about Roald Dahl...
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1) Matilda James and the Giant Peach The BFG The Witches