Start by marking “Between Lovers” as Want to Read:
Between Lovers

Between Lovers

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  5,449 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
With each new novel, Eric Jerome Dickey has established himself as one of the most exciting writers on the contemporary black fiction scene. Set in the San Francisco Bay area, Between Lovers brings together three irresistible characters.
Hardcover
Published July 1st 2001 by Dutton Adult (first published June 25th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Between Lovers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between Lovers

Tamara Evans
Nov 10, 2007 Tamara Evans rated it really liked it
I'll start this review by saying this, I am a very big fan of Eric Jerome Dickey.There's just something about his work that makes you not want to put the book down until the end.This is also the case with his latest book, Friends and Lovers. Although at first I was somewhat drawn to the story line, it wasn't until I had gotten through the first chapter that I had found myself hooked.

The story line is this: The main character got dumped at the altar by Nicole. Nicole then moved away from their h
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
I really enjoyed this look at a world outside of my experience. This is a tale of three people working their way through a war of affection. The characters felt pretty real to me.
Kittiya
Jan 07, 2009 Kittiya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kittiya by: Seen it on Carla's & Rowleen's list
Shelves: romance
I wasn't sure I would like this book. I got so mad soo many times at the stupid sh*t the characters kept doing. But before I knew it, it was making me cry and I couldn't put it down. Over all it ended up being a good story.
Kervin
Dec 30, 2009 Kervin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dickey was extremely out of the box in this book and it was indeed a page turner for sure....the sex scenes were explosive!
Rachion Scott
Jul 07, 2009 Rachion Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the imagery of this book. Beautiful and sexy. The twist in the the middle alse had me tied emotionally to the constant struggle for love and acceptance.
Valerie
His latest book is no exception. Set in the San Francisco Bay area, Between Lovers brings together three irresistible characters. The novel's narrator-a Los Angeles-based writer-is still reeling from being dumped by Nicole after seven good years followed by an aborted trip to the altar. Nicole grew up during their time together, and changed-she became a successful career woman, moved north to Oakland, and fell in love with another woman. But she's still not satisfied. She likes what she has, but ...more
Geralda8f
Apr 29, 2008 Geralda8f rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a man named Darell who is a big time writer living in Calaiforina and he is madly in love with a woman named Nicole and on there wedding day he thinks he is going to get married to the woman who he thinks is the love of his life well when it's time to say their I do's Nicole leaves him at the altar she them goes to Ohio to be with her lover onn the side wh turns out to be a woman a who goes by the name of Annya, well one day Darell is in Ohio for a book signing when he bumps i ...more
Terrence Baker
Feb 02, 2015 Terrence Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the reason I wanted to write and he has been my idol since the beginning of my career. I read this book from cover to cover twice and would read it again. I was young at the time but the way the man was pulled in two, and the way his woman was confused about her sexuality had me sitting on the edge of my seat. And the main character was this smooth author who they both wanted. Its just amazing, erotic, and witty. I recommend this to all readers who like a lil fire in the pages.
Tracey Bates
Tiring of reading Dickey's books. They're the same: erotica~a scorned woman, and a man too sensitive to her needs. Other than that, ok read.
Angel Eyez
This was the first book I read by this author and I mustsay it lead me to really start reading more book, This was a great and very interesting book! I loved it!
E Wilson
This is a book I would never have picked up at the library, or
bought, or would have been interested in by reading a review. It came in a box of books on tape that I bought secondhand. A book about a guy and his exfiance who's now in a lesbian relationship? Written by a black
male? With steamy sex scenes? No, not my type of book at all.
So I was shocked. Not by the sex, but because I ended up really
liking this book. I was prepared to dislike all of the characters.
What kind of a loser would still w
L.D. Hardy
Dec 21, 2011 L.D. Hardy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny story on how I came to read this book. I remember seeing this book on the $1 'for sale' table at the public library years ago and my first reaction was to pass on it. At the moment I began to look for something more "scholarly", this image of an episode from the 90s TV comedy, "A Different World" popped into my head. It was the episode where, Mrs. Claire Huxtable was telling Kim Reese during a career training fair to "read books with absolutely no literary value" in order to relax. So I to ...more
Mark
Feb 09, 2017 Mark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Could have been sub-titled Fifty Shades of Black. Honestly, the whole book is tantalizing foreplay leading up to the suggested menage a trois that just falls flat. One I wished I could have skipped reading.
Camille
Sep 04, 2012 Camille rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omg.... Between lovers is so awesome. A love triangle that leaves you breathless, angry, excited and so much more.... Between lovers depicts the everyday struggles of us humans when we are so blinded by love that we find it hard to see beyond that love we feel but after the fog is lifted and we see that silver lining then and only then can we truly let go of the past, it hurts, resentments and find true healing. And sometimes it takes tragedy for us to come to that understanding, find true love ...more
Lady Z
A relationship of three, you, me and she is the main focus of this EJD work. You get a front row seat to what a semi-open relationship might look and feel like. Frankly, I don't think I know any man (nor woman for that matter) that would tolerate as much as this main character did. One thing is for sure is that he love, love, LOVED Nicole with every ounce of his being. I enjoyed the story and looked forward to listening to it on the way home from work everyday. P.S. Ixnay when the kids are aroun ...more
Pretty Nurse
Oct 28, 2011 Pretty Nurse rated it it was amazing
EJD has a way of writing that always makes me connect and empathize with his characters wether I like them or not. I was so into this story I had to force myself to put it down and go to sleep and then if course I dreamed about it, for some reason Kemah from the wire was in it too but anyway...
I laughed, said oh sh** a couple of times lol any book that can do that for me is a good sign. And it had a fitting ending, bumped it from 4 to 5 stars. Excellent story.
Chanell Wilson
Jul 16, 2015 Chanell Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book during a binge read weekend and this was one of my more interesting stories. Between Lovers made me sit up in my seat and just take it all in. I didn't see a lot of things coming and when I first picked it up I thought it was one of those typical love triangle stories (Boy was I wrong!).
The story was really good, the drama was really good and made you grab your hand to your mouth and shout out "No way!" or "No he/she didn't!" etc.
Definitely a good read.
T.Say
Dec 20, 2010 T.Say rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books EJD and of all time. I am a EJD fan so I read this book many years ago. However, it was one of his books I kept skipping over for a long time. The description just didn't read to me. However,I eventually forced myself to read it. Great decision! This story put a dent in my world view at the time. I even cried at the end. There's a quote from the book that I use in everyday life. So I would highly recommend it especially if you are starting on EJD!
Amy
Dec 15, 2011 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story did keep my attention and it wasn't a continual fight to finish the book, I loved the attention to detail in general in Eric's writing, but the ending was pretty lackluster for me. Kind of an anticlimax would be a more fitting choice of words for this book, ha! I enjoyed the plot but I wouldn't really read it again. I can't help feeling like there's something missing from it.
Meme
Apr 26, 2013 Meme rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great novel ! I am a huge Eric Jerome Dickey fan and I must say this is one of my favorite pieces written by him. This was actually the very first book I read by him and ever since I made it a MUST to read all his other novels .
Spike Pedersen
May 28, 2012 Spike Pedersen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel Dickey is one of the best writers of dialogue in the english language. He pulls no punches in his writing and really illustrtates the tention that is created between persons in relationships.
Read this one. This writer will suck you in, or bounce you to the curb.
Michael Bell
A sanitized affair. A jilted man reconnects with his intended wife. He was left at the altar for another woman. The main character is an Author who lives on the road. Could this be biographical? He is the best writer of love scenes in the business. I rate this in the lower tier of his novels.
LaTonya
Jan 24, 2013 LaTonya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoyed reading this book although it didn't end the way that I thought it would. This book had a few twists and had me crying in the end and my heart poured out for the narrator and the love that he had for nicole. Great job EJD!
Michelle Johnson-lane
Mr. Dickey has a way with words that places each character or scenario directly in front of you just like watching a movie. I thought "Between Lovers" was an excellent read with all of it's twists and turns. I'm looking forward to reading "Dying for Revenge". :-)
Cierra
Jan 21, 2012 Cierra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was great.

Though I certainly did not expect what I got, initially, once I read into it and the plot got deeper, It was enjoyable. Eric Jerome Dickey never disappoints. I recommend it to anyone looking for a book that is hard to put down.
Shanique
May 20, 2013 Shanique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. Although I kept think Nicole was SO SO selfish. She wanted to have her cake and eat it too. But I love how it was all resolved in the end. Had me rooting for Nicole all the way. Altho i hated her momma so bad. But she's a product of her upbringing so I got over that in time.
Demiko Davis-cherry
This one, I really loved. I loved the twists and the turns, and it was Jawdropping right from the beginning for me.
Adra
Aug 29, 2010 Adra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book from the begining to the end.
R Gamble
Aug 01, 2012 R Gamble rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
two words .. must read!!
  • Not a Day Goes By
  • The First Lady
  • A Do Right Man
  • He's Just a Friend (Soulmates Dissipate, #3)
  • Men Cry in the Dark
  • Changing Faces
Eric Jerome Dickey was born in Memphis, Tennessee and attended the University of Memphis (the former Memphis State), where he earned his degree in Computer System Technology. In 1983, he moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in engineering.

After landing a job in the aerospace industry as a software developer, Eric Jerome Dickey's artistic talents surfaced, inspiring him to become an actor and a
More about Eric Jerome Dickey...

“She’s a smart woman. I love that. Intelligence is a wonderful and powerful aphrodisiac. To me, it enhances beauty, makes an ordinary woman look like a movie star.” 5 likes
“We're all living contradictions, trying to survive in a world filled with hypocrites” 4 likes