Bait

Bait

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  3,024 ratings  ·  111 reviews
It's a business trip that takes advertising agency owner Maddie Fitzgerald down to New Orleans, but it's hardly business as usual when a man breaks into her hotel room and tries to kill her. Barely escaping with her life, the sexy, stylish twenty-nine-year-old brunette soon finds herself face-to-face with FBI agent Sam McCabe. Unnerved by his questions - and his good looks...more
Published July 4th 2005 by Hodder Paperback (first published July 1st 2004)

Mr. Perfect by Linda HowardHard Evidence by Pamela ClareUnlawful Contact by Pamela ClareAfter the Night by Linda HowardExtreme Exposure by Pamela Clare
Best Romantic Suspense
156th out of 1,169 books — 1,465 voters
Mr. Perfect by Linda HowardNaked in Death by J.D. RobbSomething About You by Julie JamesDream Man by Linda HowardOpen Season by Linda Howard
Best Police Romances
138th out of 144 books — 105 voters

More lists with this book...

Linda C
I thought this book was horrible. However, to be fair, I didn't realize that it was "romantic suspense", which saved it from being a one star. I found the audio version on-line through my local library and downloaded it to my ipod. Based upon the brief review that the library network provided, the book sounded like a crime suspense novel focusing on the FBI's hunt for a serial killer crisscrossing the country taunting the agents with clues to the next victim.

So the story had such a good foundati...more
Christy
Maddie Fitzgerald, owner of a small advertising agency in St. Louis, travels to New Orleans in hopes of snaring a large account to save her struggling company. While there, a man breaks into her hotel room and tries to kill her but Maddie manages to escape. Only to be followed by FBI agents, headed by Special Agent Sam McCabe, who's tracking a serial killer and thinks Maddie is his next victim. Maddie does not trust the FBI and refuses their offer of protection, but when someone shoots at her in...more
Vettech
This was a very good romantic suspense read. The main characters Maddie & Sam made for an interesting couple. At first they were like oil & water...then you could see the way they gave each other "the look", and so did everyone else. There was no hiding the attraction between them. I felt so sorry for Maddie, all the crap she had been through in her life and the terror she was experiencing in real time as well.

The love scenes between Maddie & Sam were hot and steamy to say the least....more
Sassafrass
*3.5 Stars*

I thought this was good. granted I think I liked it more because I listened to it on audio instead of reading it. When listening on audio I'm able to zone out a little bit when stuff gets boring. I think that the author spent too much time trying to lead us on about Maddie's past. I think more could have been done with letting us in on the secret much sooner.

The killer was whack! the whole reveal was so crazy. I felt a little let down with that.

Zelda the dog was my favorite character...more
Erica
Oct 27, 2010 Erica rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: audio
Maddie has just been attacked by a man in her hotel room. Sam is the FBI agent who is investigating the attacks. She is not the only victim.

During the investigation Sam figures he could use Maddie as his bait to catch the attacker. Sam falls for Maddie, but resists getting close to her. Eventually he does get involved with her only later finding out that there is more to Maddie then meets the eye. Sam's team has run the fingerprints in the hotel room hoping to find the attacker and the only set...more
Applefruit
This is the most boring book I've ever read. The main character, Maddie, is extremely annoying. The "hero" Sam is yawn-worthy and inept as an FBI agent. Please, pass on this snooze-fest!
Linda  Branham Greenwell
Sam McCade is an FBI Agent who has been on a killer's trail for a month, the killer likes to tease him with hints before the kill. This time the hint is that a Madeline is to be killed - the killer attacks 2 Madelines in the same hotel in one night. One dies - one lives. When Sam learns about the Madaline who lives he thinks he has his first break.

In the meantime, Madeline - who goes by Maddie - doesn't know if the hit was to be on her or not. But the FBI has already left her out to dry once, an...more
I really enjoyed reading this book. I always enjoy Karen Robards' books, but this one was really good.

I loved reading about the grudging relationship forming between McCabe and Maddie, and I also enjoyed the chemistry between. He wants to save her, she wants him to go away...even after she is attacked, she wants him to leave her alone. She is hiding something from him that she is terrified he will discover. Maddie's past, always a mystery until near the end of the book, was intriguing and had m...more
Gabriela
This book was, sadly, the reason why I had to create a "disappointing" shelf. I, unfortunately, had to force myself to finish it out of respect for the writer and people who put so much work into it, but it wasn't with much enthusiasm, I tell you. It felt like it had so much to offer and yet I didn't get any real feeling from it.
The plot, the characters, everything looked like it would be the perfect setting for an awesome adventure but it wasn't.
The je-ne-sais-pas factor wasn't of the interes...more
Maria
Oct 08, 2010 Maria rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maria by: Gina
This is the first book I've read by this author, recommended by Gina's goodreads comments, and I have to say that I am impressed. There were some slight oddities, places where I wasn't convinced that the plot was possible, but they were few and far between. Her writing is compelling, her characters appealing, and the plot phenomenal and I particularly appreciated the ongoing battle between the two leads. They don't just jump into bed with each other. They actually fight the attraction because of...more
Kristen
Okwuoma
This was a pleasant lil read! The plot wasn't earth shattering though.

I wasn't a fan of the meshing of her old life with the killings already taking place. See this guy was mob, but the heartless killings, and the calling of Mc Cabe and taunting him with clues made me think the killer was psychopathic, rather than sadistic. So it conflicted badly! Both Mc Cabe and Maddy were very likeable, and I enjoyed the descriptive words used throughout.

The romance scenes were HOT!! But the story!! The kille...more
Barbara Blanc
You cannot go wrong with Karen Robards books. Always keeping one on their toes. Not knowing where she is going with the story till it hits you straight on. Love her stories.
Joy
This is a great story. The use of humor as well as suspense and a romantic story combined make the story entertaining. It's similar to Castle on ABC as far as mixing in humor with a seemingly unsolvable mystery.
Stefanie
I really look forward to reading this book because the story sounded great. Unfortunately the book focused too much on Sam and Madeline and not enough on the crime to my taste. In the middle of the book I even felt as if the crime was just some background info instead of the focus of the story. Because of that everything had to be solved rather quickly at the end.
Also the revelation about Zelda at the end of the book was a bit of an anti-climax.

Don't understand me wrong, it's not a bad book, bu...more
Gjbates
The suspense kept up very well all through the book. I was glad that when Sam found out the truth about Maddie they didn't stay mad for the rest of the book, only to reconcile in the last five pages of the book. The story with the dog and french fries was funny. I listened to this book and the one part that got on my nerves was also mentioned by someone else's review here as well. Then referring to the unsub they kept spelling it U-N-S-U-B instead of just saying the word. It is a small thing and...more
Hannah
Feb 16, 2014 Hannah added it
Shelves: comfort-food
Pretty satisfying, but not my favorite.
Stephanie Tuell
just when you think you know someone, it's time to think again. that's what you'll be saying after you read this breath-taking romantic suspense. maddie thinks her attack was just a random act of violence. but when sam enters the picture, things begin to change. maddie can't stand the thought of him being around, but she soon realizes, she can't stand the thought of him NOT being around. robards has you at the edge of you seat waiting to see what will happen, a real page turner.
Pr Latta
The suspense takes a back seat in the KR Romantic Suspense novel: Maddie is driving and Sam seems only along for the ride. Solving the case is not the main plot: protecting Maddie, who Sam believes is the bait, is while the FBI ignores "the game" of trying to prevent two more people from getting murdered. I didn't classify this as a police procedural because Sam, Win and Gardner don't seem to follow much procedure but the crew is likable and I had a fun time riding along.
Jen
This book was better than Superstition. The connections in this book worked much better. The problem I have with this author is that she really just tries to hard to make this bizarre complicated plots, when all she really needs to do is concentrate on developing her characters and her writing and the rest will come much easier.

Of course, with that said, she is a best selling author, so whatever she is goind is making her the monies.
Denise
I had this on CD and could not finish it. Perhaps in a book you could scan the superfluous descriptions but it is harder to do on CD. Bleh. I barely cared about the characters, felt the FBI characters were portrayed as too heavy handed and I got more than half way through and still didn't know what the lead character was running from. Did I mention how slowly it moves? Spend your time reading something more enjoyable. Skip it.
Michelle
I found Bait to be annoying. I found myself rolling my eyes. It could be that I've been reading too many Karen Robards novels lately, but I thought this was very cheesy. There were far too many parts when inner dialogue takes over. I started to hate the main characters. Also, and I know this is weird to get mad about, but they kept spelling out U.N.S.U.B. instead of simply saying unsub. (I listened to the audiobook.)
Christine
Entertaining, fast-paced. This is sort of a classic romantic suspense involving an FBI agent tracking down a serial killer and a woman who managed to escape him...at least, at first. It was one of those turn-your-brain-off books, but my brain was quite willing to shut down today, so it was the right book at the right time. Recommended to romantic-suspense fans who want a bit of mindless fun.
Aseye Ablordeppey
This book was AMAZING! SO thrilling and exciting! I normally read a number of pages per day but at about half way in I could not continue to read on pace and I had to finish it cause it was that good! This is the best Robards book I've read only second to Obsession which was my first and favorite! Great book and excellent read! Thank You Karen for gracing us with this wonderful read!! :)
Sharal Hunter
Very suspenseful story that keeps the reader on the edge of the seat waiting to see what happens next. The multiple plots create a sense of confusion when it comes to the identity of the villain and why he is trying to kill Maddie. The villain's identity did come as a surprise to me. I enjoyed the chemistry between Maddie and Sam as well as the supporting characters Winn and Gardner.
Joyce
A team of FBI agents are tracking down a serial killer who is taunting them. He unsuccessfully attempts to murder a woman in her hotel room. She escapes and returns to her life in another city. The FBI team follows her, convinced that the killer will try again. Nothing much is what it appears to be. There is a good modicum of suspense and the novel makes for a fine summer read.
Shannon C.
Very good romantic suspense. Had some nice twists toward the end that kept it from being just the typical 'law enforcement agent protects woman in danger/they fall in love' story. The suspense and mystery was well done. I would have liked a bit more focus on the romance. Generally I like 50/50 or at least 60/40 of suspense/mystery to romance. This book was more like 80/20 or 85/15.
Caro
This was a pretty good book. I wouldn't mind reading it again. It started a little slow (except the first encounter) but picked up pretty well. I liked the characters and the plot. Zelda was a great addition and kept the humor in the story. The last half of the book was more page-turning and the ending was definitely breath-holding. A good read but not completely absorbing. Enjoy!
~M~
Aug 21, 2013 ~M~ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: romance
I really liked this book. I usually amuse myself by using the author's typical "tells" to determine the bad guy but this time I was surprised ci loved how Naddie fought off her first attack. It was shocking that she could get away, until you start finding out about her past. Loved Sam and their relationship. Loved that the story was based in St Louis.
  • Kiss Me While I Sleep (CIA Spies, #3)
  • Picture Me Dead
  • The Color of Death
  • Have You Seen Her? (Romantic Suspense, #2)
  • Sudden Death (FBI Trilogy, #1)
  • Bodyguard
  • Hot Blooded
  • Don't Look Now (Look Trilogy, #1)
  • Deep Blue (Sinclair Sisters Trilogy, #3)
Karen was born on 24 August 1954 in Louisville, Kentucky, USA. She has been writing since she was a teenager. She sold her first short story, when was very young, and was published in the December 1973 Reader's Digest, but she cannot sold her first romance novel until 1981, when she was 24. After it, she dropped out of law school to pursue her writing career. Today, a regular on the New York Times...more
More about Karen Robards...
Shattered One Summer The Last Victim Shiver Whispers at Midnight