Start by marking “Vanished” as Want to Read:
Vanished

Vanished

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  2,578 ratings  ·  166 reviews
When five-year-old Lexie Mason vanished, her mother Sarah was left to pick up the pieces of her shattered life. Seven years later, she picks up the telephone and hears her daughter's terrified voice. Sarah goes to the police, the FBI, friends and her co-workers, but none of them will help her.
Paperback
Published March 1st 2007 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published December 31st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Vanished, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vanished

Kath
Great story, but with some issues, November 19, 2008
What a great story line. Sarah tries to move on with her life after the abduction of her daughter 7 years before. She's a very broken, lonely woman, who has no friends or family to speak of, other than her best friend Jake.

The character of Sarah did have some very redeeming qualities, but seemed to be just a bit to fragile and unglued for most of the story. While the circumstances warrant it, you find it hard to understand why Jake would have
Apr 14, 2009 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Sophie
This book started off promisingly. I liked the characters and was interested in their lives. I liked the friendship between Jake and Sarah and how it's not obvious at first whether Jake is the hero or not. I thought the author did a very good job portraying Sarah's pain and how vivid it still is even seven years after her daughter's disappearance. Eventually, though, the book began to seem a little repetitive to me. How many times does the reader need to be told that Jake's shoulders are wide, t ...more
RomReader
Prosecuting attorney is piecing together with her best friend & private investigator Hero the coincidental timing of her being shot during a convenience-store robbery & getting a strange phone call the next day from what sounded like her 5yo daughter who vanished 7 years earlier. Hero does his best to protect heroine from further danger but heroine wants to keep busy with her court cases & renewed search for her long lost daughter. He realizes how strongly he cares for her while she ...more
Christine
This was unexpected. I normally read Karen Robards for fluffy, brainless excitement. The books are well written, move quickly, involve a lot of danger, plenty of sexy romance with interchangeable characters, and are consistent 3-star books. I can count on that.

Then I read this one. And, well, it was really good.

So Sarah lost her daughter, Lexie, seven years ago. The girl just vanished without a trace (hence the name of the book). All these years later, she is still griving, still doesn't have
Willow
Karen Robards is a softer, sweeter Sandra Brown for me. But here she's showing a bit of bite. We've got a suspense story with...a bit of suspense. But that's not what grabbed hold of my attention. It was the absolute gut wrenching account of Sarah Mason coping with her missing daughter. As a parent, I got it. I ached. I understood the inability to reconnect to the present time. The wondering. Is she out there? Is she cold? Hungry? How can I eat when I don't know if she has? It was beautiful in i ...more
Meagan
This book started out pretty well- it's a mystery- this woman starts getting messages from her daughter that went missing 7 years earlier. At times I couldn't put the book down, and other times it was a little boring. The end felt a little rushed though. I don't like it when everything happens in the last three pages. I felt that it was all wrapped up a little too neatly.
Susan
Caution: no spoilers here, just a pointlessly bitchy rant for like-minded readers. This book sucks. Here's why: When I (you?) read romantic suspense by Karen Robards, I'm (you're) expecting brain candy. Not artisanal single-source chocolate candy, either; just a tasty box of Whoppers or a bag of M&Ms. You can't deliver that when the core of the story is a missing child. Romance? Really? And with a long-time friend, at that. There's little romance in a decades-long friendship that becomes sex ...more
Kris
2 STARS

"When she receives a call from a child who sounds exactly like her missing daughter Lexie, Sarah Mason turns to her closest friend in the world, P.I. Jake Hogan. Jake is convinced that someone is deliberately tormenting the grief-stricken mother. But as their friendship explodes into passion-and the torment escalates into murder-Jake is the only person who can keep Sarah safe in their horrifying search for the truth..." (From Amazon)

An okay romantic suspense. A bit too predictable at time
Syao Chan
Mindy
Jonetta
This book was quite a disappointment. The premise held such promise and it should have been a suspenseful, intriguing story. Instead, it focused on the angst of the heroine, Sarah Mason for better than half the book. Descriptions of irrelevant details were made in 500 words when 50 would have sufficed. There was so much repetition I could almost recite some of the passages by rote. Yes, the ending was rushed because so much of the book was wasted on telling us ad nauseum of Sarah's pain. Quite f ...more
Shelley
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I really enjoyed the book and gave it five stars for its characters, plot, and the twist at the end. I did have some issues with it however:

1. The author's overuse of the phrase "the thing was..." The author used this phrase so many times that I started to wonder if she was capable of getting across what she was trying to say in any other way. A little variety would have helped.

2. I underst
Kieraanne
Bev
Stephanie (the nerdy princess)
OMG is the only words that can describe this book. It was FULL of suspence and you just couldnt put this book down, well i got the audio book but still by far the best book i have read/listen to in my WHOLE LIFE!.

This is about an ADA (assistant district attorney) whos 5 year old daughter vanishes right in front of her eyes. 7 years later she is caught in a convinence store buying dog food where robbers come in and shoot the teller and she is faced to save a little girl hiding in the corner.

throu
Pamela
Some books afford more than a glimpse into their heroine's life, but this is not one of them. This novel is a carefully contained slice of the tortured existence of a mother who lost her daughter to a kidnapper seven years earlier, and her relationship with her best friend, a man who loves her.

I enjoyed the 'mystery lite' story and actually found myself thinking about it when I wasn't reading, which is unusual... but didn't appreciate the abrupt ending.

There is nothing remotely fairy tale-ish ab
Jay Jessmer
If the middle portion had been as good as the first 25 and the last 25, this could have been a heck of a book. Unfortunately, the middle 300 were average at best. Not much going on and a lot of senseless dialogue. 3 stars may be a little high, but the ending left me feeling that the book was worth reading and was very well written. It also kept me guessing throughout, which is always a good thing.
I really couldn't get much attachment to the characters or the plot. Although I felt sympathy for
Megan
I really enjoyed the relationship between the two main characters. The books starts with them already friends, with a long history of companionship, and the narrative really carries the relationship. Karen Robards does a terrific job with suspense. She must get some pleasure out of torturing her characters, because they go through a lot! I would have given this book five stars, but I felt the ending was a little rushed. A good read!
Kristen
I honestly just picked this book up in the library without knowing a lot about the story or the author (I know, long story) - but I really liked the story line. There was quite a few cuss words, which was the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars. It was funny, suspenseful, and I felt like the author made Sara very real. It was like I knew her.
Andrea Khrystyne
I loved this book of Karen Robards. I love it when two characters have a past. It makes the relationship seem more real. It makes the characters more developed. It definitely made Sarah and Jake become more real to me. It was the relationship that I was hoping for!

As for the writing, wonderful as always. Robards keeps the reader in suspense until the very end. You really have no idea who took Lexie because there could have been so many people. The ending is definitely a surprise. The dialogue a
Jamie Butcher
Excellent book! As a parent, I could really feel the emotion in this book. A single mother has to live with the loss of her only child for seven years, and as you can imagine, has a tough time moving on! As you read this book, you feel all of her emotions, share her fears, and try very hard to figure out this tangled web that she is living and suffering in.

I have seen reviews that the ending is poor. I however, thought that the shock of the ending was a great way to end the novel. DEFINITELY alr
Bonnie Raz
Aug 06, 2008 Bonnie Raz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bonnie by: Linda Meritt
I thought I would hate it, but this booked sucked me up so hard I lost sleep trying to get to the end.
Blskelly
Great suspense...one of my current favorites and probably my favorite from this author.
Marilyn
I wasn't expecting a happy ending as far as Lexi was concerned.
Really good suspense book!
Chris
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY

Then I read this one. And, well, it was really good.

Danna
This is the third book I read by Robards, and the only reason I read it was because it was the only library book left in my house when I finished the last. The first one I really liked, the second one was catchy, but annoying, and this one was somewhere in between. I think it will probably be the last Robards novel I read.

The good: starts off strong. It seems that Robards begins her novels with an intense and violent scene that hooks the reader. The thriller and mystery aspects keep you turning
Jaime Atkins
This is a complicated review because I liked this book and I don't think anyone should skip it because of my review, but I had some issues. I have to say that I was enthralled with this book from the beginning, but......somewhere around the last 100 pages it started to take a nosedive. (NOTE: THE REST OF MY REVIEW MIGHT SPOIL THE STORY IF YOU PLAN TO READ THIS BOOK, SO STOP HERE!)

Sarah and Jake have been best friends for years and she has NEVER thought of him as "sexy"? She really had NO idea
  • Blue Smoke and Murder (St. Kilda Consulting, #4)
  • Up Close and Dangerous
  • The Summit
  • Missing
  • Shadow Dance
  • Into the Storm (Troubleshooters, #10)
  • Nameless (Less Series, #2)
  • Catskinner's Book (The Book Of Lost Doors)
  • To the Brink (The Bodyguards, #3)
  • Slow Heat in Heaven
Karen was born on 24 August 1954 in Louisville, Kentucky, USA. She has been writing since she was a teenager. She sold her first short story, when was very young, and was published in the December 1973 Reader's Digest, but she cannot sold her first romance novel until 1981, when she was 24. After it, she dropped out of law school to pursue her writing career. Today, a regular on the New York Times ...more
More about Karen Robards...
Shattered Bait One Summer The Last Victim (Dr. Charlotte Stone, #1) Shiver