Start by marking “My Bonny Light Horseman: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, in Love and War (Bloody Jack, #6)” as Want to Read:

My Bonny Light Horseman: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, in Love and War (Bloody Jack #6)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,628 Ratings  ·  366 Reviews
The infamous pirate, riverboat seductress, master of disguise, and street-urchin-turned-sailor Jacky Faber has been captured by the French and beheaded in full view of her friends and crew.

Inconceivable? Yes! The truth is she's secretly forced to pose as an American dancer behind enemy lines in Paris, where she entices a French general into revealing military secrets--all
Published May 24th 2010 by Hmh Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 2008)

Caitlín (Ink Mage)
Anika Ferguson
Jan 11, 2009 Anika Ferguson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OKay, my husband already read this while I finished my last one and I can't wait to find out what all the chuckling was about! Plus he says Jacky gets worse and worse and he's concerned about my hero worship with her. Oh goody... I can't wait to devour this book!

I finished it! Once again, I couldn't put it down and although I want to scold her sometimes too, I love Jacky! I laugh right out loud while I read these books and I love that. Wouldn't this be a great movie series? I'd go. Hmmmm... I wo
Jen
Sep 18, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the sixth book in this series and I think the funnest one so far. Jacky Faber is a hilarious character and I thought that she just gets better with each book. I also felt that you could see this series coming to an end -maybe? and I liked that.
These books are written for the young adult age but I'm not sure I agree with that. They are at times a bit grown up I feel. If you have teens that you might suggest these to, I would as a parent read them first and then decide.
Katie Hutchison Irion
Oh Jacky, your life is never calm. I can't believe I've spent the last weekend just reading about it. My poor kids haven't seen me and Ricky even knows who Jacky is since I reference her in my everyday conversations.
So, this book was great but not my favorite. I loved the first half, I mean, come on, Jared Joseph was in it. I liked the men on the boat with her and was interested with the plot. I think I could have done without all the fighting and spying in France. I think there were too many p
Nisha
Jan 10, 2010 Nisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bloody Jack lovers and those who need a good adventure and a scandalous heroine
Another winner. Thank you L.A. Meyer. I was almost going to give up after the last book. Obviously, I did not enjoy it as much as I should have for a Bloody Jack book. This one makes it up.

As usual, Jacky does not lack her horde of admirers. This time, she seems a little too adventurous for a normal teenager. Or maybe not, what do I know. There is the previously introduced Joseph Jared, the newcomer, Jean-Paul, who gets pretty lucky with Jacky, Randall Trevalyne, remember book 2?, and finally,
Aximili
Feb 05, 2009 Aximili rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Horatio Hornblower
Teea
So, I would probably give this one 31/2 stars. It's not my favorite of the series, but there is always so much adventure that once I pick them up there just really isn't a place to put it down until I'm finished. This series is ridiculous and over the top and yet I'm still find myself excited to see Jacky squeeze her way out of another tight spot. She is such a girlie girl and the next moment cool, confident, and in control. Everything I secretly want to be. I can see why she made such and excel ...more
Angie
Jan 12, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Kaherine Kellgren has officially ruined audiobooks for me. She is absolutely amazing at it. The books come to life in my head as she reads it with many different accents for all the characters. She has such enthusiasm and even sings all the old sailor songs. I swear she's amazing. When this series is over I shall be quite sad to go back to the regular books with singular characters and narrators without enough ummph.

L.A. Meyer has found a gem of a series with his adventures of Jacky Faber and I
Jamie
Apr 17, 2013 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One completely outrageous adventure after another. I can't believ how many famous historical events they cover in this series. Its just plain fun. Its perfect for long drives or house cleaning! I love the narrator and how she makes it easy to follow each character. I keep thinking I am going to get tired of Jacky Faber but I never seem to. She is NEVER BORING!!
Anne
Mar 07, 2011 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Irrepressible Jacky Faber is back in her 6th book. Now she has been captured and beheaded by the French. Somehow she overcomes that and is being sent by the British to be a spy while acting as messenger for the French army.

Love her spunkiness!
Peggy Stuart
Sep 13, 2015 Peggy Stuart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook. The narrator, Katherine Kellgren, is amazing! The story is full of suspense and humor. I always know she will survive, but I'm still scared for Jacky.
Priya
Jan 18, 2015 Priya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I've come to expect, I loved the next installment of Jacky's adventures. My Bonny Light Horseman made me love Jacky even more. I can never put one of L.A. Meyer's books down!!
Tara Chevrestt
Previously, Jacky Faber was a ship's boy, a pirate, a lady, a singer, a housekeeper, a horse racer, and a captain among other things. In the sixth Bloody Jack book, she becomes a prisoner (again!) and a courtesan, a spy, a dancer, and a messenger in Napoleon's army.

I was worried about this one. Whereas I loved the first three of this series, I hated numbers 4 and 5. Thankfully, there is a lot less of Jaimy in this one (he was getting on my nerves) and less singing and dancing and more action. T
Lori Twichell
Sep 19, 2013 Lori Twichell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Meyer has created an amazing story that takes place across continents, wraps in a good amount of history and presents a highly entertaining journey. More young men fall for dear Jacky, others from the past show up in her present and at one point, Jacky even becomes a confidant for Napoleon. (Does anyone remember the very beginning of this series when I compared it to the adventures of Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean? That’s still exceptionally accurate.

Scenes that make you
Morgan Sweeney
Jan 02, 2010 Morgan Sweeney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better books in the series. This book furthered the plot which was a little at a stand-still and yet kept the characters interesting. Jean Paul de Valdon was a very interesting character to watch as he grew from snobby aristocrat to intriguing lover. I also liked the reappearance of Randall Trevelyne. He added some underlying conflict between him and Jean Paul. I also liked that Jacky got to be back in a situation where she was in command of a battle unit of some sort. One thing I wou ...more
Jenelle
Yes, I know, I can't believe I'm still reading this series either...

But who can resist yet another book about Jacky miraculously averting death, somehow missing Jaime AGAIN, stringing along every guy in sight, pretending to be a boy, flashing some skin, and leading a battle or two?

It really makes me wonder, since the author is a man, if she is indeed what most men are attracted to. Can some single lady please test this theory and let me know? Thanks.

Oh, but I also noticed in this one, how Forre
Chelsea
Dec 18, 2009 Chelsea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, can't get enough of that Jacky! I loved the first half, the second half was only so-so for me. Since Katie did a review of all the possible love-interests for Jacky, I will do the same...since mine are slightly different than hers.and loving.

1. Jaimy...her betrothed. Who else chases her around the world and is always there for her? All the other men love her, but never hang in there forever.
2. Joseph Jared...I love his cockiness and it is well earned. :)
3. Jean Paul...he is so sweet a
Lesli
Feb 03, 2009 Lesli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, because I like the Jacky Faber books, but I am ready for an end in the series. In was harder for me to be involved in the plot than in book 5, but it was a quicker read. I enjoyed the book, but it wasn't the best Bloody Jack book there. I think I'm ready for her to just hook up with Jaimey and be down with it. The book is about Jacky forced in to be a spy, and her adventures as a female spy, in some parts she is actually known to be a woman, and in other parts she is up to her ...more
Kristin
Apr 19, 2015 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again this installment was pretty amazing, made more so by the superior reading of the audiobook narrator. This is the first one of the Jacky Faber books that I listened to instead of read and I wasn't sure I would like it. At first, the cockney accent of the reader got on my nerves, but I trudged through and became thoroughly convinced that this is THE way to experience these books. The acting was superb as was the writing. I was sorry to recently read of the death of the author, L. A. Meyer, b ...more
Kelsey
Sep 20, 2011 Kelsey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another entertaining installment of the adventures of Bloody Jack. The series continues to have a pretty heavy focus on Jacky (when she wants to) protecting herself from the frequent and determined attempts at her virtue. Sometimes things get a little smutty for a YA title...but Jacky takes it all in good humor (after all, she wasn't raised up proper, something she states often) and continues on her merry way.

This episode features Jacky as a spy for the British Intelligence Agency. She ends up
kari
Dec 30, 2010 kari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2010, 5-star
In order to save her friends as well as herself, Jacky is forced to travel to France as a spy. Well, to be blunt, she is supposed to sleep with high ranking officers in order to get information from them. Jacky, in her own way, deals with this problem. Not going to say whether she does or whether she doesn't.
Then she goes off to war as a messenger. She trains troops and gets caught in the middle of a huge battle as only she can do. She runs into old friends and makes new ones as only she can.
Not
Alethea A
May 21, 2009 Alethea A rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: saucy sailors and bonny horsewomen
Jane, what do you think--Simon Pegg as Joseph Jared? (Not Shaun in Shaun of the Dead, perhaps more like Inspector Nicholas Angel in Hot Fuzz.) As for Scotty, he's got the cheeky grin down pat.

I get why you like him now. I'm in the middle of re-reading Under the Jolly Roger, so I'm getting a double dose of that saucy sailor.
Emily Whelchel
This book simply does not match up to the first few in the series. Jacky is a maiden throughout these books, but she's constantly put into scrapes that test her purity. Can she manage to make it through without getting into too much trouble? Sometimes she's forced into close scrapes, like having to entertain the gentlemen after dancing, but sometimes she enters into awkward relationships entirely of her own volition (making out for hours in a tent with a fellow spy), even though she truly believ ...more
Heidi (Yup. Still here.)
I always have such a fun time hanging out with Jacky. Where does she find all these wonderful men to fall all over her? I need whatever she has to make that happen to me (hahaha). The ending to this one was crazy. Can't wait to move onto the next book.

p.s. The audiobook for this series remains excellent.
Kellie O.
Feb 20, 2015 Kellie O. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tina Grove
Aug 02, 2015 Tina Grove rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book seemed to veer from the typical Jackie adventures we are used to reading about which is a bit nice but also felt a little out of character. I don't particularly care for war stories and in the second half of the book it became one. Even though at times it was slow, it had a very climactic ending and a bit of order was eventually restored. It feels like for once the book ends with Jackie in a safe, home-like place which was uplifting especially considering the seriousness of most of the ...more
Tabitha
Jan 22, 2016 Tabitha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I just stayed up until 4:30 in the morning to finish this book, so I guess that pretty much explains how much I loved it. I just can't get enough of this series/these characters. There are so many people from Jacky's past that she runs into again in this book. I just love how this beggar orphan girl either has or creates allies wherever she finds herself. I think I'm in love with all of her admirers. (Especially Joseph Jared; I can't keep the smile off my face when he's around.) Basically, ...more
Suzanne
So it has been a while since I as in the world of Jacky Faber but I had a long road trip and so decided to give it a whirl. I have to say that I do enjoy her adventures. She has a spirit and determination that cannot be exhausted. I really enjoy the audio version because the reader does an amazing job with the different characters. The content of the story left me a little lacking. I realize that Jacky often finds herself in the same situation just different contexts. In this she meets Napoleon ...more
Du-wi Di-le
May 22, 2015 Du-wi Di-le rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series it makes me feel so alive and like I am right next to Jacky. I think this would be an amazing t.v. series and I would watch it all the time. So Jacky latest adventure is she becomes a spy, in a way, and is sent to France as a very friendly ballerina. It causes her to get quieter a few more manly admirers added to her list. After so, she is sent to war for the man himself Napoleon. She hides herself as a boy once again and becomes one of few messengers. Afraid as she was she ch ...more
LadyCroft86
Aug 26, 2014 LadyCroft86 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sixth book in the bloody jack series is a lot like the others. This one is a little different in that we get to see Jacky as a spy instead of as a sea captain or schoolgirl. Jacky is a little more mature in this story for the most part. There are times where you wonder what the heck she is thinking. There are many times where I don't think that Jacky knows the meaning of the word "cheating" and I feel sorry for Jaimy for putting up with her and her crap.
But otherwise, the story was exciting
Is this the last? 3 45 Jul 08, 2014 08:45AM
  • The Case of the Left-Handed Lady (Enola Holmes, #2)
  • Piratica II: Return to Parrot Island (Piratica, #2)
  • Girl in Blue
  • Pirates!
  • Star-Crossed (Patricia MacPherson Nautical Adventures, #1)
  • Boston Jane: An Adventure (Boston Jane, #1)
  • Alchemy and Meggy Swann
  • Cat-O'nine Tails (Cat Royal, #4)
  • The Princetta
  • Beat the Band (Swim the Fly, #2)
  • ゆかりズム 2 (Yukarism, #2)
  • The Pirate Queen: The Story of Grace O'Malley, Irish Pirate
  • Vögelein: Clockwork Faerie (Vögelein, #1)
  • Maude March on the Run! (Maude March Misadventures #2)
  • White Sands, Red Menace (Green Glass #2)
Louis A. Meyer is best known as the author of the Bloody Jack novels. He was also a painter and the author of two children's picture books, and he and his wife owned an art gallery called Clair de Loon in Bar Harbor.

Louis A. Meyer passed away on July 29, 2014 from refractory Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. His final Jacky Faber book, Wild Rover No More, will be published posthumously in September.
More about L.A. Meyer...

Bloody Jack (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Curse of the Blue Tattoo: Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady (Bloody Jack, #2)
  • Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #3)
  • In the Belly of the Bloodhound: Being an Account of a Particularly Peculiar Adventure in the Life of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #4)
  • Mississippi Jack: Being an Account of the Further Waterborne Adventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman, Fine Lady, and Lily of the West (Bloody Jack, #5)
  • Rapture of the Deep: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Soldier, Sailor, Mermaid, Spy (Bloody Jack, #7)
  • The Wake of the Lorelei Lee: Being an Account of the Adventures of Jacky Faber, on her Way to Botany Bay (Bloody Jack, #8)
  • The Mark of the Golden Dragon: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Jewel of the East, Vexation of the West, and Pearl of the South China Sea (Bloody Jack, #9)
  • Viva Jacquelina! Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Over the Hills and Far Away (Bloody Jack, #10)
  • Boston Jacky: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Taking Care of Business (Bloody Jack, #11)