Start by marking “Galactic North” as Want to Read:
Galactic North

Galactic North (Revelation Space collection)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  5,400 Ratings  ·  199 Reviews
Set in the Revelation Space universe-the first short story collection by "one of SF's best and most ambitious novelists." (SFX)

With eight short stories and novellas- including three original to this collection- Galactic North imparts the centuries-spanning events that have produced the dark and turbulent world of Revelation Space.

Centuries from now, the basic right to
Published June 5th 2007 by Ace Hardcover (first published October 19th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Galactic North, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Galactic North

David Sven
Jul 18, 2013 David Sven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, anthologies
While I'm still working through the audio of Redemption Ark I thought I might check out some of the Rev Space short stories he published earlier in this collection.

I'm glad I decided to read these in publication order because there is some crossover between the stories as well as the the two shorts in Diamond Dogs Turquoise Days. I was able to appreciate cameo appearances from characters who were written earlier which would otherwise just appeared random.

I think this is an excellent collection
Stuart
Galactic North: Reynolds excels at shorter lengths
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature
Having read all the full-length novels in Alastair Reynolds’ REVELATION SPACE series, I knew I’d eventually get to his shorter works set in the same dark and complex universe. The main novels are Revelation Space, Redemption Ark, Chasm City, Absolution Gap, and The Prefect. Reynolds has produced a detailed future history, inspired by works such as Bruce Sterling’s Schismatrix, Larry Niven’s KNOWN SPACE, and
Karl
Apr 06, 2017 Karl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Galactic North" by Alastair Reynolds is a selection of 8 short stories set in Reynolds' "Revelation Space" universe. All of the stories are good.
Claudia
Great addition to Revelation Space universe.

Even if not all stories are related to the trilogy, they are set in the same universe and bring in some new details related to some of the events and concepts used in the series.

> Great Wall of Mars - the story of Clavain from way back when he became a Conjoiner, set in the events on Mars and also his first encounter with Felka. A beautiful story about honour and betrayal. 5/5

> Glacial - gripping tale about Clavain's mission on Diadem, an Ea
Jan Bednarczuk
Jul 18, 2012 Jan Bednarczuk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't get enough of the Revelation Space universe. I just can't. This future history feels almost as real and detailed and nuanced to me at this point as real history does.

I've already read most of the novels in this series, and with some trepidation moved on to this collection of short stories. So many authors who excel in longer forms do poorly with short stories, and vice versa.

I needn't have worried. Reynolds is, if anything, even more skilled at the short story format; perhaps because i
Brad
Mar 26, 2013 Brad rated it it was amazing
I'm supremely happy to know that Reynolds as a short story writer is just as good as Reynolds as a novelist. Some of the stories were unabashedly nostalgic for me, but others, such as the last one, Galactic North, really bit deep into my subconscious and wouldn't let go. I wanted more and more of that one, but there were a few others that even verged on the mythical. I'm thinking of a certain medical ship, not to mention a fascination of worms.

Strangely enough, I got a lot out of the afterward,
Neal Asher
Feb 24, 2012 Neal Asher rated it really liked it
I just finished Galactic North the other day, and am now looking forward to reading The Prefect. It’s nice to be once again reminded why I enjoyed reading his Revelation Space series. A few of the stories in here I’d read before (was The Great Wall of Mars in Interzone?) but I still enjoyed them second time around. The story Galactic North seemed a bit disjointed, but I still enjoyed the big space and huge breadths of time. All of it: huge Gothic spaceships, weapons like dangerous beasts lurchin ...more
William
Jul 23, 2016 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good mixed bag, but the 1999 story Galactic North is fascinating as it is the map of most of the stories from Revelation Space. Weather is the best of the bunch.

Great Wall of Mars (2000) - 4.5 star
Great stuff. Fast pacing, good characters, short but wonderful early days of Revelation Space

Glacial (2001) - 4.5 star
Wonderful continuation of Clavain and Galiana, this time on an ice world, with a murder mystery. Truly great stuff.

A Spy in Europa (1997) - 3.5 star
A short but interesting spy story,
Heidi
Great Wall of Mars provides more background for Nevil Clavain, his dealings with Galiana, Felka and the Conjoiners and how he became one himself as well as some early Revelation Space universe history. A great story about war, diplomacy and betrayal. (5 stars)

Glacial also features Clavain and partly deals with his attempts to adjust to being a Conjoiner. But it's first and foremost a Whodunit mystery and a pretty good one at that. The 'icy' atmosphere of a planet approaching an ice age adds to t
Matt
Aug 24, 2014 Matt rated it really liked it
There's just nobody like Alastair. I've had this on my shelf for a while, and I was worried that I might have forgotten crucial finer details from the Revelation Space trilogy and Chasm City in the post-interim, but I just trusted the process and got immersed in the Ultras and Conjoiners and Demarchists and my mind boggled all over again at the possibilities of the far future's centuries-long traveling and free-exchange of identities across flesh, machinery, plagues and space. The afterword with ...more
Bee
Reynolds writes short stories as naturally as he does long and engaging space opera. And especially because all these stories fit in the Revelation Space universe, they add a lot of depth to the stories that we know and love. Each story in this series adds something to a thread that was left dangling during the main sequence of books.
Fantasy Literature
Jun 06, 2017 Fantasy Literature rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Stuart who says "Reynolds excels at shorter lengths". Read Stuart's review: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/revi...
Niffe
Dec 13, 2016 Niffe rated it really liked it
Christopher
Jun 13, 2017 Christopher rated it really liked it
'Dilation Sleep' is a bit of a clunker in the otherwise shinning short story collection which nicely adds and expands on the 'Revelation Space' universe.
David Conyers
Jun 15, 2013 David Conyers rated it it was amazing
Peter
May 20, 2015 Peter rated it liked it
Galactic North is a series of short stories all set in the author's Revelation Space universe, spanning a time period from less than two hundred years in the future, to thousands and thousands of years beyond (and arranged in roughly chronological order).

In some SF discussion forums, when the topic of the third book of the Revelation Space trilogy, Absolution Gap, comes up, there is usually some griping about the ending. I won't spoil the ending itself, but suffice to say many find it deeply un
Patrick
Jun 08, 2008 Patrick rated it really liked it
Much better than the Dr. Freud-wouldn't-touch-this-with-a-10-foot-pole cover might lead you to believe--but then again, it would almost have to be, wouldn't it? Sometimes a spaceship flying into an asteroid is just a spaceship flying into an asteroid.

Anyway, Reynolds apparently works in a style called "hard sci-fi." (Stop it, please, just stop it. Seriously!). That basically means that, because he has a Ph.D. in astronomy, he feels obligated to eschew phasers and light sabers and whatever. In th
Barry Cunningham
Feb 10, 2013 Barry Cunningham rated it really liked it
Another uneven collection of short stories; this one in Alastair Reynolds's Revelation Space universe.
The first couple, Great Wall of Mars and Glacial, feature characters from his later opus: Clavain, Galiana, and Felka. They provide some backstory mentioned in the later books.
Most of the rest of the tales, while set in the RS universe, are entirely peripheral to the later books. A Spy in Europa, Dilation Sleep, Grafenwalder's Beastiary, and Nightingale I found to be uncomfortably dark. Nighting
Peter Tillman
Jul 02, 2016 Peter Tillman rated it it was amazing
This review will be solely of the story "Galactic North". Which I liked a lot.

"Galactic North" is a glorious Technicolor update of "Pirates of the Asteroids." The ramliner Hirondelle, loaded with 20,000 colonists in reefersleep, is boarded by a band of desperados led by Capt. Run Seven ("... you can call me Seven"). Capt. Irravel Veda has been neuromodified to feel she's the mother to her 20,000 passengers....

Reynolds gives new meaning to the old wetnavy cliche' "a stern chase is a long chase" i
Robert
Aug 22, 2008 Robert rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, short-fiction
This collection is a must for fans of Reynolds' Revelation Space novels, having stories ranging along the time-line of the future from 200 to 40,000 years in the future and featuring Nevil Clavain, Remontoire and Felka. Greenfly, Jugglers and events consequent on Diamond Dogs also appear. This probably isn't the best place to start with this imagined universe, though.

Gothicism, grotesquery, horror, identity confusion, conflict and nutso characters characterise these stories. Typical Reynolds, th
Liam Proven
Jul 24, 2012 Liam Proven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Al Reynolds remains one of the very best far-future hard-SF writers in Britain today & indeed in the English language.

This is an excellent selection of stories, ranging from the birth of the Conjoiners through an insight into how their mysterious NAFAL starship drives work, to visits to the Rust Belt around Yellowstone. All are familiar settings from his longer work, but it's highly enjoyable to get some background insight.

It is fairly unremittingly bleak, as is all his work, mind. But mayb
Campbell
Oct 06, 2013 Campbell rated it really liked it
Any collection of short fiction, by its very nature, is going to be of variable quality. Fortunately in this case it varies between very good and excellent. "Nightingale" is particularly wonderful in the awful chillingness of its conclusion. My single gripe about this work, a purely subjective one, is that I felt the title story to be the weakest of the bunch.
Kevin Kelsey
"Relativity squeezed stars until they bled colour."

Terrific collection of most of the short fiction set in the Revelation Space universe. There isn't a sub 3/5 story in the bunch, with most being 4/5 or 5/5. They range from introspective character studies to science fiction horror. Standouts are Glacial, The Great Wall of Mars, Weather, and Nightingale.
Efka
Sep 10, 2014 Efka rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I'm not a fan of short stories, but this collection proves two points: a) Alastair Reynolds knows what he's doing and boy can he write them, and b) I enjoyed them perhaps more than the original Revelation Space series. Great collection!
Simon
May 04, 2015 Simon rated it it was amazing
This is the first of his short stories that I have read. A revelation!
Tudor Ciocarlie
Feb 17, 2013 Tudor Ciocarlie rated it it was amazing
Only great stories in this wonderful collection.
Helen
Aug 23, 2013 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice glimpse into the universe Alastair Reynolds has written about in his other books. I especially liked the first story where we meet Nevil Clavain, Galiana, and Felka when they are still on Mars.
Rich Hasler
Aug 06, 2015 Rich Hasler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite Alastair Reynolds book. Having said that, he is my current favorite where Sci Fi is concerned and it is better than anybody else I know...
M.G. Mason
Aug 09, 2011 M.G. Mason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One day I will eventually get around to re-reading Alastair Reynolds Revelation Space books so that I can post thorough reviews but the truth is, at the moment they are such a distant memory that I couldn't do them justice from half-remembered scenes and a clear understanding of the implications of the climax of each novel. They are complex books that really do require a re-read. Until then, I'm afraid you are going to have to make do with this collection of eight short stories and novellas set ...more
Albino
Dec 24, 2016 Albino rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Short Story

Preludes to the other books in the series. Touches Self Replication, near c propulsion, methods of life extension, intelligence augmentation, and others.
  • A Second Chance at Eden
  • Vacuum Diagrams (Xeelee Sequence, #5)
  • Hilldiggers (Polity, #2)
  • Cosmonaut Keep (Engines Of Light, #1)
  • The New Space Opera
  • The New Space Opera 2: All-new stories of science fiction adventure
  • Wireless
Alastair Reynolds, former scientist and now full-time writer. Most of what he writes is science fiction, with a strong concern for scientific verisimilitude (although he is prepared to break the rules for the sake of a good story). He has lived in England, Scotland and the Netherlands where he worked as an astrophysicist for the European Space Agency until 2004, but now makes his home back in his ...more
More about Alastair Reynolds...

Revelation Space (5 books)
  • The Prefect (Revelation Space, 0.1)
  • Chasm City