Start by marking “Don't Read This Book If You're Stupid: Stories” as Want to Read:
Don't Read This Book If You're Stupid: Stories

Don't Read This Book If You're Stupid: Stories

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  429 ratings  ·  23 reviews
In his first book of short stories, Tibor Fischer examines the lives of loners and failures. With both wit and sobriety, he depicts the trials of a Web site salesman who cannot connect with others, an artist whose career is going nowhere, a failed cowboy, a has-been solicitor, and a stand-up comedienne who has fallen from grace. Laced with exuberant narrative and matchless ...more
Published November 3rd 2001 by Picador (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Read This Book If You're Stupid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Read This Book If You're Stupid

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-SmithI Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
Best Book Titles
155th out of 2,377 books — 2,211 voters

More lists with this book...

Cenhner Scott
Por el amor de dios, que alguien le consiga un editor a Fischer.
Y no me refiero a editor para que le edite el libro (evidentemente tiene uno muy bueno, porque Tusquets le ha traducido todo al español y se lo venden en Argentina). Me refiero a que necesita un editor que le diga "TERMINÁ DE ESCRIBIR ACÁ".

Fischer es un tipo al que se le ocurren buenas ideas, buenos argumentos.
Pero por algún motivo que no logro dilucidar, decide que esa historia que hubiera sido genial en cuatro páginas, se conviert
Nov 18, 2007 Margaret rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who loves nihilistic comedy of the British by way of Hungary sort
Simply cannot stop my love for this author. As a novelist, he's genius - The Thought Gang, telling the story of a disgraced and alcoholic professor who turns to bank robbery (with his one-armed sidekick) after he spent his book advance is one of my top three books ever.

The first story in Don't Read This details a vacation in Nice (a recurring locale in his books) gone horribly awry for a cabal of Londoners. Needless to say, in true Tibor Fischer style, a piece of bacon saves the day.
Christina Wilder
Jul 10, 2012 Christina Wilder marked it as to-read
Why didn't I think of this title? :/
Generally I like distopian or nihilistic works, but this book was bleak, grey and monotonous without any significant plot movement. While author's language is beautiful to read, the work itself is bleak and boring. Like Soviet Russia.
Paloy Tawanrat
It's kinda psychich for me.
Mircalla64 (free Liu Xiaobo)
adoro Londra

vabbè lo ammetto
Londra la idealizzo da un po'
e so bene che è molto peggiorata da quando ci sono stata l'ultima volta
ma non sarà mai come la descrive Tibor Fischer in questi racconti

o meglio, forse lo è per chi ci vive e deve combattere tutti i giorni in metropolitana

comunque i racconti sono discontinui
alcuni molto belli, altri un tantino meno intriganti

ma l'ho letto tutto in due sere e questo qualcosa deve pur significare...
♚ Amandine ♚
Après avoir mis deux semaines à lire petit bout par petit bout, j'ai décidé de m'arrêter à la moitié du livre.
Les histoires m'ont ennuyé et l'écriture m'a dérangé du début à la fin. Dommage, je partais pourtant avec un bon a priori sur le livre !
it was snowing. it was berlin. they talked funny. and then amid an ocean of noise i found what i was searching for all my life. it was tibor fischer. and i will keep him in my box of happiness forever.
read the last short story, dont really like it, the due date of the book is coming fast, decided not to dwell on it, so stopped reading halfway..

not included in my 2011 reading challenge, though..
actually as this is a book of short stories - I started with the one that sounded the most interesting first. It's called "I Like Being Killed" and so far it's pretty darn good.
Mugren Ohaly
Monotonous and disappointing
Gal Shadeck
The characters and the ideas are just as pretentious as the title. Smug, pointless, boring stories.
Mar 20, 2007 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who thought about doing bunac
Hilarious and mean stories about life in Britpop-era England, told with great, sustained energy.
Had so much promise, but I really did not enjoy this collection, maybe I'm stupid?
Ekaterina Nikitina
Первая книжка за последнее время, которая пришлась настолько по сердцу.
Набор новелл оригинальной формы, без начала и конца
Tanvir Muntasim
Superb collection of stories with acid laden humor.
Rebecca Black
Excellent, cheeky, weird short stories. Me likey.
Apr 20, 2015 Tibor rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Meredith Neal
Enjoyed it
Kupu cantik Mayshita
I'm not stupid, so i quit read it :)
Reading it now. Enjoying it.
I am stupid.
Camille Corbett
Camille Corbett is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2015
York Underwood
York Underwood marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Amy Christine Lesher
Amy Christine Lesher marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Scott Charles Walker
Scott Charles Walker marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Delaney D
Delaney D marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
  • Down All the Days
  • Cut to the Twisp: The Lost Parts of Youth in Revolt and Other Stories
  • The Torturer's Apprentice: Stories
  • Dolan's Cadillac, and Other Stories
  • Problems: And Other Stories
  • Tales of the Night
  • ඉර හඳ තරු මැද
  • The O. Henry Prize Stories 2003
  • Seven Men
  • Charlie Mike
Tibor Fischer is a British novelist and short story writer. In 1993 he was selected by the influential literary magazine Granta as one of the 20 best young British writers.

Fischer's parents were Hungarian basketball players, who fled Hungary in 1956. The bloody 1956 revolution, and his father's background, informed Fischer's debut novel Under the Frog, a Rabelaisian yarn about a Hungarian basketba
More about Tibor Fischer...
The Thought Gang Under the Frog The Collector Collector Voyage to the End of the Room Good To Be God

“You read a lot," said the behatted kvetch indicating the two novels he had open. He nodded, because there was no denying it and because he didn't want to put up the ante for a conversation.

Books aren't life."

No, they're better," he replied and flipped through the thirty-two library cards in his wallet to remove his one credit card to pay.

This was twenty-first century vagrancy.”