Start by marking “The Wind and the Sea” as Want to Read:
The Wind and the Sea

The Wind and the Sea

This action-packed swashbuckling adventure is a classic tale of romance, revenge, and breathtaking exploits on the high seas. The time is 1804 and the U.S. Navy is attacking and destroying pirate strongholds on North Africa's infamous Barbary Coast. Courtney Farrow, daughter of one of the most feared and successful corsairs, is captured by Lt. Adrian Ballantine, proud, han ...more
Published April 1986 by PaperJacks

To ask other readers questions about The Wind and the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wind and the Sea

Bound by the Buccaneer by Normandie AllemanThe Pirate Lord by Sabrina JeffriesThe Windflower by Laura LondonRescued by the Buccaneer by Normandie AllemanThe Hawk by Monica McCarty
Pirate/Swashbucking Romance
14th out of 156 books — 212 voters
Gentle Rogue by Johanna LindseyThe Corsair's Revenge by Jane GodmanThe Windflower by Laura LondonThe Assiduous Quest of Tobias Hopkins by James FaroAcross a Moonlit Sea by Marsha Canham
Best Pirate and Privateer Romances
14th out of 77 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

Aug 08, 2015 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: pirates
3 Didn't Feel The Love Stars!
So I went and searched my paperbacks and found this baby and decided to read it. lol Damn what a long ass book!!
Lots of action! Not very steamy.
I hate to say that I didn't feel the love between Courtney and Adrian.
I also felt the ending was rushed. I wanted more:(

Apr 10, 2011 Verity rated it it was amazing
The intensity explodes off the block w/ guns blazing & MC nevah takes her foot off the pedal. As w/ all of her top-notch classics, MC shows her wide range by penning her best tale of high-octane derring-do w/ Barbary coast as the backdrop. Gritty, gruesome & there’s no sugarcoating in portraying the harsh life in high seas. The sweeping, 531-page, luv-hate romance is overflowing w/ fully-formed characters, surreal battles, tempestuous clashes of wills between H/h who show tru’ endurance ...more
Apr 16, 2016 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ashley by: Celeste Noche
Just a seriously fun, romantic, well-written book. I probably would never have found it without it having been recommended to me by Celeste, so thanks to her for suggesting it to me. I do love my pirate novels and this is one of the best high seas historical romances I've ever read. Granted, it's more of an action-adventure tale with strong romantic elements than an out and out romance, but either way it was wonderful.

At nearly 600 pages, this is a long read, but I was always on the edge of my
Apr 10, 2011 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT, Marsha Canham sure know's how to write one heck of a adventure. All of her pirate stories are the best. I've been wanting to read this book for years and I'm so darn happy that Marsha's book's are being re released in ebook and that I finally had a chance to read it.
I have heard a rumor that Marsha will soon be releasing a new book. I certainly hope so because she is one of my favorite author's.
If you have never tried a Marsha Canham book, I highly recommend you give one a try.
Apr 22, 2016 Ania rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ania by: Ashley
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

Pirate stories are usually a hit or miss with me, but this one had the kind of fast-paced action that I love, the inevitable romance and the delicious intrigue.
I was immediately interested after seeing Ashley's review, so I started reading it. I do not regret it one bit, this book was amazing! Super well written and entertaining, I had such a great time with it.
Adrian and Courtney were everything, I loved their chemistry and how their attraction just simmered until they
Re-Read 1/16/14
Recently, I had a like on my original review, which had me pulling up the book. I remember I loved this book, loved it as in told everyone I knew to read it. But that was several years ago, and I had just fallen back into my obsession with reading. So I wondered if maybe I was naive in my ratings and standards, having read so few at the time. So I read the sample on B&N. One chapter in, my opinion was validated. I purchased the ebook (had the paperback originally), and literal
This ebook edition has been edited by the author. The rape scene has been modified but left in per the author. Wow…what a great romance…I just love Marsha Canham and her pirate books are the Best!!! The tension and sparing between Courtney and Adrian is explosive….and what a treat when they finally give in to their desires. This book is a Fun Sexy Adventure from beginning to end!!!
This is such a fabulous book. It is action-packed and A LOT happens, but it's written in such a way that you are not left confused or overwhelmed, or having to flip back pages to remember what happened in the last chapter (I mean, as much as I'd like to, I can't spend all day reading books from cover-to-cover in one sitting). There is also a lot of descriptive detail (e.g. details on ships such as rigging, firing cannons, and the Mediterranean politics of the time), but it's well-integrated with ...more
Apr 24, 2015 Nes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My copy of The Wind and the Sea is the most expensive second hand paperback book I have ever owned. Bought this out of print book for USD 100 including shipping. I had to have it. And I got it and 15 years ago, I read this book back to back in one night. A couple of days ago, I purchased it for my Kindle as my copy is tattered and boxed up somewhere with my other keepers and re-read this again. Oh the swashbuckling adventures on the high-seas! This book should be made into a movie! Hollywood is ...more
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
It has been a LONG time since I have read a pirate adventure such as The Wind and the Sea. The adventure, passion, danger, and betrayal that swirled throughout the pages gave this reader a sense of what life on the high seas must have been like during the nineteenth century. Ms. Canham uses great depictions to describe the battle scenes, making me feel as if I were reading a true historical account instead of a historical romance. Then you have a truly vicious vixen that goes out of her way to u ...more
Regan Walker
Great High Seas Romance!

No one weaves a high seas romance better than Marsha Canham and this is a great one. Originally published in 1986, it is set in 1804 along the Barbary Coast. It’s is a story of great emotions--of courage, hatred, passion, jealousy, betrayal and revenge.

Courtney Farrow's parents' marriage had been a love match until the guillotine took her mother. Her father, Duncan Farrow, a handsome red haired Irishman, became a famous Barbary Coast pirate taking his revenge on French s
Diane Hoover
Nov 04, 2014 Diane Hoover rated it it was amazing
Absolutely excellent. Swash-buckling fun meets high seas intrigue. Danger abounds. And finding out who the bad guys are and their motives takes you through to the end. Adrian is a strong, unbending patriot and Courtney has all the right sass needed to match him. It's an adventure and mystery with a little romance drizzled through. This one could be worthy of a re-read in another year or so.
Jun 07, 2016 P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are more coincidences that you can shake a stick at, I developed no liking for any of the characters, found I wasn't happy for them when they, at long last, got to their HEA, but for all that it's readable. Mind the violence, tho.
Joanna Lambert
Oct 13, 2015 Joanna Lambert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another amazing read from Marsha Canham. Romance, sea battles, betrayal, intrigue it's all there plus another unforgettable hero in Adrian Ballantyne. Definitely a must read

If looking for a realistic, gritty, exciting, historically correct, yet swashbuckling pirate story, this should be the absolute definitive!

Ms. Canham intertwines historical realism with romantic fiction so deftly that one is hardly aware they are experiencing what was reality in the early 19th century, they are too busy biting their nails and wanting to cover their eyes! It's a bigger than life, sweeping love-story that is somewhat harsh but most assuredly memorable!

*The sex scenes are no
Mar 12, 2013 Leeza rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Awesome book. Of the Canham books I've read, I would rank this and Across the Moonlit Sea as my two favorites. The action is non-stop and just when I thought there were no more twists, I was surprisingly wrong. It wasn't love at first sight for Court and Adrian and it took some effort, ransacking an island, sinking an American Navy boat, some history involving the French Madame Guillotine, spies and wannabe spies, a false marriage, a trip to Tripoli and Virginia.... let's just say, a lot happens ...more
Katie Montgomery
Apr 08, 2015 Katie Montgomery rated it liked it

Needs more hedgehogs.
Apr 27, 2014 Nova rated it it was amazing
Full action sampai akhir.
Jan 01, 2013 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good swashbuckler with a mystery thrown in to boot; for the life of me I could not figure out who the villain was until the very last. I skimmed past the love scenes; I'm at the point where if you've read one, you've read them all. But for sheer adventure and suspence, Ms Canham is hard to beat. This book will hold your attention to the very end.
Lindsay Finberg
Jul 23, 2011 Lindsay Finberg rated it really liked it
Another great Marsha Canham book. But, I have the same complaint I had with the last novel of her's I read. There's plenty of character building, action, adventure, mystery, etc., but there isn't enough relationship building. It just seems as though the hero and heroine were, all of a sudden, in love. It's sweet but unbelievable.
Jun 01, 2011 Julia rated it it was ok
Picked this book up for my Kindle iPad app based on a blog I read talking about unusual pirate books. While I liked the heroine, and occasionally the hero, this just didn't work for me. I mainly kept reading it to see who was Seawolf and if her father would still be alive. Too much talk about rape and violence for me, just not my cuppa.
Kary Rader
May 21, 2011 Kary Rader rated it it was amazing
Just finished the 1200+ pages of this wonderful story. A true swashbuckling romance with lots of action and adventure. I enjoyed the historical accuracy and descriptions. The pirate voices were strong and believable. With a price tag of $2.99 for the e-book, you would be hard-pressed to find a better value.
M.L. Guida
Jun 12, 2012 M.L. Guida rated it liked it
The Wind and the Sea was not one of my favorites of Canham's. I had difficulty liking the hero, Adrian, but he did grow on me. Courtney, on the other hand, was a strong heroine and I understand her determination to fight. Canham's dark moment was intriguing and I could not put down the book.
Aug 04, 2012 Charissa rated it it was amazing
My last Canham book (non-ebook)! This 1986 out of print book took a lot of searching & cost $26 plus shipping (originally $3.95).

Love Canham's pirate books, packed with adventure, captive story lines, lots of swashbuckling and just enough romance
Jun 06, 2015 Esme rated it it was amazing
Really well written.
Heather Houston
Jul 01, 2011 Heather Houston rated it it was amazing
Just finished this book! I was up until 5:30 am reading it. I could not put it down. There's so much action, adventure, intrigue and romance. It was fast paced and drew me in from the beginning. I can't wait to read all of her books.
Sep 11, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, favorites
Once I got over the heaving breast and nipple appearances, I found a book that is so much more than a typical historical romance. It was an exciting adventure with action and pirates. I will definitely read more from the author. =)
Jan 18, 2012 Donette rated it it was ok
Swashbucklingly cheesey. The ending was tied up into a neat little inconceivable bow. Sometimes I wonder what is going through my head when I pick books like this.
Sep 21, 2011 ~Leslie~ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-ebook
Absolutely wonderful sea adventure and romance. Hard to explain how well she describes sea battles and everything. else that takes place on a ship. Wonderful love story.
  • Crimson Rapture
  • Tell Me Lies
  • A Pirate's Pleasure (North American Woman Trilogy, #2)
  • Nightsong
  • Embrace and Conquer
  • The Windflower
  • The Pirate Hunter (Regency Pirates, #2)
  • My Wicked Pirate
  • The Pirate and the Pagan
  • Velvet Chains
  • The Flesh and the Devil
  • Tempt the Devil
  • The Buccaneer
  • Lady Vixen (Louisiana, #5)
  • Bride of the MacHugh
  • Love Me, Marietta (Marietta Danver Trilogy #2)
  • Savage Surrender