The Wind and the Sea

The Wind and the Sea

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  397 ratings  ·  26 reviews
This action-packed swashbuckling adventure is a classic tale of romance, revenge, and breathtaking exploits on the high seas. The time is 1804 and the U.S. Navy is attacking and destroying pirate strongholds on North Africa's infamous Barbary Coast. Courtney Farrow, daughter of one of the most feared and successful corsairs, is captured by Lt. Adrian Ballantine, proud, han...more
Published April 1986 by PaperJacks

The Pirate Lord by Sabrina JeffriesThe Windflower by Laura LondonThe Hawk by Monica McCartyRescued by the Buccaneer by Normandie AllemanA Pirate's Love by Johanna Lindsey
Pirate/Swashbucking Romance
13th out of 129 books — 146 voters
Gentle Rogue by Johanna LindseyThe Corsair's Revenge by Jane GodmanThe Windflower by Laura LondonWrong Kind of Paradise by Suzie GrantA Pirate's Pleasure by Heather Graham
Best Pirate and Privateer Romances
18th out of 58 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

Verity
The intensity explodes off the block w/ guns blazing & MC nevah takes her foot off the pedal. As w/ all of her top-notch classics, MC shows her wide range by penning her best tale of high-octane derring-do w/ Barbary coast as the backdrop. Gritty, gruesome & there’s no sugarcoating in portraying the harsh life in high seas. The sweeping, 531-page, luv-hate romance is overflowing w/ fully-formed characters, surreal battles, tempestuous clashes of wills between H/h who show tru’ endurance...more
Kathleen
LOVED IT, Marsha Canham sure know's how to write one heck of a adventure. All of her pirate stories are the best. I've been wanting to read this book for years and I'm so darn happy that Marsha's book's are being re released in ebook and that I finally had a chance to read it.
I have heard a rumor that Marsha will soon be releasing a new book. I certainly hope so because she is one of my favorite author's.
If you have never tried a Marsha Canham book, I highly recommend you give one a try.
Stevie
Re-Read 1/16/14
Recently, I had a like on my original review, which had me pulling up the book. I remember I loved this book, loved it as in told everyone I knew to read it. But that was several years ago, and I had just fallen back into my obsession with reading. So I wondered if maybe I was naive in my ratings and standards, having read so few at the time. So I read the sample on B&N. One chapter in, my opinion was validated. I purchased the ebook (had the paperback originally), and literal...more
Mitzi
This ebook edition has been edited by the author. The rape scene has been modified but left in per the author. Wow…what a great romance…I just love Marsha Canham and her pirate books are the Best!!! The tension and sparing between Courtney and Adrian is explosive….and what a treat when they finally give in to their desires. This book is a Fun Sexy Adventure from beginning to end!!!
Ruth
This is such a fabulous book. It is action-packed and A LOT happens, but it's written in such a way that you are not left confused or overwhelmed, or having to flip back pages to remember what happened in the last chapter (I mean, as much as I'd like to, I can't spend all day reading books from cover-to-cover in one sitting). There is also a lot of descriptive detail (e.g. details on ships such as rigging, firing cannons, and the Mediterranean politics of the time), but it's well-integrated with...more
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
It has been a LONG time since I have read a pirate adventure such as The Wind and the Sea. The adventure, passion, danger, and betrayal that swirled throughout the pages gave this reader a sense of what life on the high seas must have been like during the nineteenth century. Ms. Canham uses great depictions to describe the battle scenes, making me feel as if I were reading a true historical account instead of a historical romance. Then you have a truly vicious vixen that goes out of her way to u...more
Regan Walker
Great High Seas Romance!

No one weaves a high seas romance better than Marsha Canham and this is a great one. Originally published in 1986, it is set in 1804 along the Barbary Coast. It’s is a story of great emotions--of courage, hatred, passion, jealousy, betrayal and revenge.

Courtney Farrow's parents' marriage had been a love match until the guillotine took her mother. Her father, Duncan Farrow, a handsome red haired Irishman, became a famous Barbary Coast pirate taking his revenge on French s...more
TJ
4.5/5.0

If looking for a realistic, gritty, exciting, historically correct, yet swashbuckling pirate story, this should be the absolute definitive!

Ms. Canham intertwines historical realism with romantic fiction so deftly that one is hardly aware they are experiencing what was reality in the early 19th century, they are too busy biting their nails and wanting to cover their eyes! It's a bigger than life, sweeping love-story that is somewhat harsh but most assuredly memorable!

*The sex scenes are no...more
Leeza
Awesome book. Of the Canham books I've read, I would rank this and Across the Moonlit Sea as my two favorites. The action is non-stop and just when I thought there were no more twists, I was surprisingly wrong. It wasn't love at first sight for Court and Adrian and it took some effort, ransacking an island, sinking an American Navy boat, some history involving the French Madame Guillotine, spies and wannabe spies, a false marriage, a trip to Tripoli and Virginia.... let's just say, a lot happens...more
Nova
Full action sampai akhir.
Marilyn
This is a really good swashbuckler with a mystery thrown in to boot; for the life of me I could not figure out who the villain was until the very last. I skimmed past the love scenes; I'm at the point where if you've read one, you've read them all. But for sheer adventure and suspence, Ms Canham is hard to beat. This book will hold your attention to the very end.
Lindsay Finberg
Another great Marsha Canham book. But, I have the same complaint I had with the last novel of her's I read. There's plenty of character building, action, adventure, mystery, etc., but there isn't enough relationship building. It just seems as though the hero and heroine were, all of a sudden, in love. It's sweet but unbelievable.
Julia
Picked this book up for my Kindle iPad app based on a blog I read talking about unusual pirate books. While I liked the heroine, and occasionally the hero, this just didn't work for me. I mainly kept reading it to see who was Seawolf and if her father would still be alive. Too much talk about rape and violence for me, just not my cuppa.
Kary Rader
Just finished the 1200+ pages of this wonderful story. A true swashbuckling romance with lots of action and adventure. I enjoyed the historical accuracy and descriptions. The pirate voices were strong and believable. With a price tag of $2.99 for the e-book, you would be hard-pressed to find a better value.
M.L. Guida
The Wind and the Sea was not one of my favorites of Canham's. I had difficulty liking the hero, Adrian, but he did grow on me. Courtney, on the other hand, was a strong heroine and I understand her determination to fight. Canham's dark moment was intriguing and I could not put down the book.
Charissa
My last Canham book (non-ebook)! This 1986 out of print book took a lot of searching & cost $26 plus shipping (originally $3.95).

Love Canham's pirate books, packed with adventure, captive story lines, lots of swashbuckling and just enough romance
Heather Houston
Just finished this book! I was up until 5:30 am reading it. I could not put it down. There's so much action, adventure, intrigue and romance. It was fast paced and drew me in from the beginning. I can't wait to read all of her books.
Shannon
Once I got over the heaving breast and nipple appearances, I found a book that is so much more than a typical historical romance. It was an exciting adventure with action and pirates. I will definitely read more from the author. =)
Donette
Swashbucklingly cheesey. The ending was tied up into a neat little inconceivable bow. Sometimes I wonder what is going through my head when I pick books like this.
~Leslie~
Absolutely wonderful sea adventure and romance. Hard to explain how well she describes sea battles and everything. else that takes place on a ship. Wonderful love story.
Elaine Mcdonald
Amazon is offering this for 2.99 for the Kindle. Loved this book! I haven't read a pirate novel in quite a while.
Lorelle
This has my vote for the best Pirate Story! If your only going to read one, then this is the one to read.
Nisha
Book was awesome
Nanette
Over wrought
Amanda Wright
Amanda Wright marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Li
Li marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
  • Crimson Rapture
  • Tell Me Lies
  • Lady Vixen
  • A Pirate's Pleasure (Cameron Family Saga #2)
  • My Wicked Pirate
  • Embrace and Conquer
  • The Pirate Hunter (Regency Pirates, #2)
  • The Flesh and the Devil
  • The Pirate and the Pagan
  • The Windflower
  • The Pirate Bride
  • The Taming (Cameron, #1)
  • Savage Surrender
  • The Buccaneer
  • Lady Of Fire (Fire, #1)
  • Chance The Winds of Fortune
  • Love Me, Marietta
  • Blood and Treasure (Romancing the Pirate, #1)
The Pride of Lions (Highlands, #1) The Blood of Roses (Highlands, #2) Through a Dark Mist (Robin Hood, #1) Across a Moonlit Sea (Dante Pirates, #1) The Last Arrow (Robin Hood, #3)