Start by marking “Do-Gooders: How Liberals Hurt Those They Claim to Help (and the Rest ofUs)” as Want to Read:
Do-Gooders: How Liberals Hurt Those They Claim to Help (and the Rest ofUs)

Do-Gooders: How Liberals Hurt Those They Claim to Help (and the Rest ofUs)

Mona Charen has a loyal following from her syndicated newspaper column (which runs in more than two hundred newspapers) and her many television and radio appearances. Her first book, Useful Idiots, was an eight-week New York Times bestseller. Now she’s back, switching her focus from foreign policy to domestic issues.

Unlike some conservatives who throw verbal hand grenades

Published December 29th 2004 by Sentinel (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Do-Gooders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do-Gooders

Jarrod Jenkins
Nov 19, 2008 Jarrod Jenkins rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Mona Charen is a conservative who has no qualms about her distaste for liberal ideology, the policies liberals support, or the disastrous consequences that so often follow. She is unapologetically partisan. Why apologize or compromise when one party is clearly in the wrong? She exposes six of the Left’s failures from the last half century or so beginning with the counter-cultural revolution of the 1960’s. She argues that Liberalism contributed directly to:

1. A surge in crime when Liberals soften
Ellis
Sep 12, 2008 Ellis rated it it was ok
Before reading:
No, I am not excited about reading this book, but I couldn't help but be intrigued by a book title that, by itself, teaches us that acting selfishly is best for everyone, and that also, rather than making us feel guilty, pats us on the back for our greed and our disdain for others(it's remarkable how that philosophy is wholy opposed to the other most important philosophy I've been taught in life). A title like this, and my belief in exposing myself to differing viewpoints (which o
Eric
Mar 29, 2012 Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I thought this was a really good, convincing book. The book covers problems with racism, poverty, homelessness, child welfare, and education. I'm sure that there is a fair amount of hypberbole here, but all of the author's arguments make a lot of sense to me. Unfortunately, the folks who could really benefit from this book will never read it.
Jary Welker
Nov 03, 2012 Jary Welker rated it really liked it
A must read in this almost concluded political season. In her book published in 2004, Mona Charen has treated masterfully the ravages done by the liberal left on American culture, society and it's citizens, all in their so called attempt to "help." I can only wonder what further harm has been done in the last 8 years. Get it and read it.
Tim Cox
Sep 17, 2007 Tim Cox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in politics
Liberals won't like this book, but it should be mandatory reading for anyone who leans that way. Conservatives should skip it. It says what you already believe.
Chris
Jun 22, 2008 Chris rated it it was ok
Slightly humorous but so one-sided in it's opinions that it was very predictable and hard to take seriously
Gina Herald
Apr 19, 2011 Gina Herald rated it really liked it
The sobering truth about social justice programs and other well intentioned but misguided initiatives.
Jeremy
May 14, 2010 Jeremy rated it liked it
"There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery - and then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved." Jesse Jackson

"As the data from the past decade clarify, there is no evidence that poverty causes crime but a great deal of evidence that crime causes poverty."

"All of the overheated rhetoric notwithstanding, the commission found no examples of black Floridians who had been inhibited in any
Todd Stockslager
Jun 09, 2015 Todd Stockslager rated it liked it
Shelves: politics
Descriptive but pedestrian account of how liberal ideas of the last 50 years have harmed citizens and society, focusing on crime, welfare and childcare issues.

The descriptive is dead on, but the prescriptive is missing: Charen makes no attempt to define a way out of the mess.
Charles Blumberg
Covers several areas that liberal attempts to fix have created worse problems with lots of statistics...high level quotes from book: (1) Compassion binge towards criminals lets them run free to terrorize poor neighborhoods (2) Even FDR, JFK, RFK said welfare destroys human dignity (3) Liberals own every education reform over the past 50 years and the only result is US is unable to compete with the world (4) Most obvious solution to child maltreatment is promoting marriage and the family (5) End ...more
Carolyn Tye
Jul 04, 2016 Carolyn Tye rated it really liked it
Well thought arguments that are soundly articulated.
Brianhansen
May 01, 2009 Brianhansen rated it liked it
ha ha, just to validate my already mega biased prejudices, too bad these books always hurt my testimony of conservatism becuase they're so over the top
Travis
Sep 19, 2009 Travis rated it it was amazing
Great summation of how government intervention has the opposite of it's intended effect at much higher than projected cost.
John Weibull
Feb 10, 2007 John Weibull rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy a thorough thrashing of American Leftist ideology, and so far this book is getting high marks.
Kristi Willard
Sep 11, 2009 Kristi Willard rated it really liked it
A great conservative book about liberal compassion.
Elaine
Elaine rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Jun 03, 2016
Greg Kent
Greg Kent rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Skip
Skip marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Byron
Byron marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
John Paradiso
John Paradiso rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
W
W rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Jonathan Freed
Jonathan Freed marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Jonah Jeter
Jonah Jeter marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Bart Christensen
Bart Christensen marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Ariel
Ariel rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016