Start by marking “Deadly Desire (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #4)” as Want to Read:
Deadly Desire (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #4)

Deadly Desire (Francesca Cahill Deadly #4)

The time is turn-of-the-century New York City. Society's elite host glittering balls inside sprawling mansions while outside, the teeming street harbor secrets of their own.

New York City's Police Commissioner Rick Bragg has been called upon to investigate a shocking crime. Reluctant to pull Francesca into a case that could be very dangerous, Rick also knows the beautiful a
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published May 19th 2002 by St. Martin's (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Desire

シ Pen*Cil シ
***4.5/5***

Hiiiii ! Cette série est un vrai coup de cœur, et c'est avec ce tome qu'elle entérine ce statut!

Au delà du fait que l'action s'intensifie, et se poursuit sur le tome suivant, ce qui m'a fait chavirer dans ce tome est tout l'aspect sentimental. La pauvre Francesca ne sait plus où donner de la tête.
Qui de la raison ou des sentiments elle doit écouter? Qui choisir?
Rick, préfet de police qu'elle aime profondément, mais avec qui toute histoire d'amour paraît compromise?
Ou Hart, le demi-frè
Paganalexandria
Okay I'm still on the re-read train, and this one had me feeling really conflicted. We are finally introduced to the rest of the Bragg family and some fair better than others. Rick and Calder's little sister Lucy is so TSTL that she bogged this whole book down with her choices that never make sense. At the same time Rick's past shows up into town and takes center stage. Character wise, this is a pivotal book in this series. Plot wise, not so much. It has the worst pacing that I've run across dur ...more
Mariiine
Jun 23, 2015 Mariiine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quel plaisir de lire cette quatrième enquête de Francesca.
J'aime de plus en plus cette série. Que se soit à propos des personnages, du contexte ou des enquêtes, je n'ai rien redire ! Je souris, je peste contre Francesca quand elle se voile la face sur ses propres sentiments, et en même temps je suis complètement fan de son tempérament. J'aime, j'aime, j'aime.

La suite promet de belles choses, autant du côté sentimental que du côté "enquêtes".
Amy
This series is like a soap opera. There is so much drama going on! There are some characters I hate (Evan...a man ruled by his c*ck) and some I like. The chemistry between Francesca and Calder Hart is much better than the chemistry between her and Bragg.
Patrícia
This fourth instalment of the "Deadly Series" is way better than the previous ones (at least better than the first and third books, for I have not read the second). While the mystery story is typically simplistic and insipid (and in this case, incomplete too... perhaps the second mystery will be resolved in the next book), Deadly Desire has romantic intrigue in spades, with heroine Francesca Cahill feeling frustrated because of her mixed feelings towards Rick Bragg's half-brother, notorious ladi ...more
Stacy
Sep 14, 2012 Stacy rated it really liked it
Francesca’s relationship with Rick reaches a tipping point when she receives a note from his wife and her friendship with Calder heats up. Rick is the good guy out to reform the New York police department and his half-brother Calder is the cad only out for himself…and Francesca.

There is no way to read this one without having read the others and get any enjoyment. I think it would be too confusing. That being said, I love this series, so if you like romances I recommend finding book one.

PennsyLady (Bev)
Sep 15, 2012 PennsyLady (Bev) rated it liked it
The time is turn of the century NYC
Francesca is a young socialite reformer who adds sleuth to her repetoirie.
She attaches herself to a reluctant police comissioner (Rick Bragg) and enters the seedier side of life to solve crime.

A very naive Francesca will add love and heartbreak to her life history.

This is book #4....it's been a while in getting here and apparently the story goes on slowly in several additional volumes.

They're light and would probably disappoint the hard core romance or mystery
Carole Moran
Nov 03, 2012 Carole Moran rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, mystery
This novel in the series featuring Francesca Cahill as female sleuth was not one of my favorites. In fact it featured so many devastatingly handsome men all completing for her attention that it read like a soap opera script. The mystery was minimal, the detecting almost non-existent, and the sexual overtones strong enough to light fires on cold winter nights. I was not appreciative. I gave it the three stars simply because it is part of a series which until now I have found quite entertaining.
Nicci
Jun 04, 2012 Nicci rated it really liked it
Book number#4 in series so far this one is my favorite. There is a lot of mystery and I love that at the end it left a cliffhanger. So now I HAVE to read the next book.

The writer does a good job of getting me to dislike the characters I should and pulling for the underdog.

Fun read.

Alicia
Nov 29, 2008 Alicia rated it really liked it
Rick is not sure he wants Francesca helping with the cases beacause they are turning more and more dangerous. We also see Francesca's feelings told Calder changing as she begins to understand him better. Rick is interacts with man.
Gaynell
Mar 30, 2011 Gaynell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: joyce-brenda
The intrigue only gets deeper, not only with Francesca but with lots of secondary characters. I'm loving this soap opera series!
Karen L
Nov 19, 2011 Karen L rated it really liked it
A really good book that I read in 2008.
Monique J.
Jan 04, 2012 Monique J. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romantic-mystery
Read my review on my blog: Too Many Books, Not Enough Time. Here is the URL.

Dr Goodreads
Dec 30, 2015 Dr Goodreads rated it liked it
Fran and Bragg are so getting on my nerves.
Ellenbaker1cox.net
I did not like this book; it was hard to get into. I love her books, but not this one. In fact, I did not finish it.
Lesli
Jul 14, 2010 Lesli rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2002
Francesca makes a fascinating character. This is clearly romantic suspense at the dawn of the 20th century.
Hope
Hope rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2011
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2009
Suzanna Medeiros
Suzanna Medeiros rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2011
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2013
Bonnie Hogie
Bonnie Hogie rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2012
Janelle
Janelle rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2010
Carol Oros
Carol Oros rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Shadowalker
Shadowalker rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2012
Vwhitford
Vwhitford rated it really liked it
May 24, 2010
Karin
Karin rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2011
Katherine
Katherine rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2014
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2012
Tiara
Tiara rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2014
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 18, 2015 07:28AM
  • Heartwood (Carved Hearts, #3)
  • Scandal on Rincon Hill (Sarah Woolson, #4)
  • Veils of Silk (Silk Trilogy, #3)
  • Jane Austen: Three Complete Novels: Sense and Sensibility; Pride and Prejudice; Emma
  • A Match Made in Scandal (Donally Family, #3)
  • Murder on Fifth Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #14)
  • Blind Fear (Cold Case Thriller, #2)
  • The Hostage (Great Chicago Fire Trilogy #1)
  • Yours Always
  • The Twenty-One (Emerald Cove #2)
  • Bowled Over (Maggie Kelly Mystery, #6)
  • Gramercy Park
  • A Broken Vessel (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #2)
  • Where Serpents Sleep (Sebastian St. Cyr, #4)
  • India Black and the Widow of Windsor (Madam of Espionage, #2)
  • Sands of Time (Out of Time #6)
  • Thirteen (Love by Numbers, #4)
  • Accidental Alpha (A is for Alpha Male #3)
Brenda Joyce is the bestselling author of forty-one novels and five novellas. She has won many awards, and her debut novel, Innocent Fire, won a Best Western Romance award. She has also won the highly coveted Best Historical Romance award for Splendor and Two Lifetime Achievement Awards from Romantic Times BOOKreviews. There are over 14 million copies of her novels in print and she is published in ...more
More about Brenda Joyce...

Francesca Cahill Deadly (9 books)
  • Deadly Love (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #1)
  • Deadly Pleasure (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #2)
  • Deadly Affairs (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #3)
  • Deadly Caress (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #5)
  • Deadly Promise (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #6)
  • Deadly Illusions (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #7)
  • Deadly Kisses (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #8)
  • Deadly Vows (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #9)

“You have told yourself that you have found your knight in shining armor, my brother Rick. Isn't that the truth? You met him and he fit the bill, so you have told yourself a wonderful story and, stubborn brat that you are, you have been clinging to it ever since. After all, what could be more appropriate than for Francesca Cahill, reformer extraordinaire, to fall in love with my reform-minded Republican brother? But wait! Being as this is a love story, there has to be an unhappy middle and the perfect hero isn't quite so perfect after all. For he is married. Oh, wait! It isn't that bad, after all, for as it turns out he is a man of virtue, and he really loves you, while he despises his wife! And did I forget to mention that she is vile and evil? So the story can limp along, and true love might survive after all! Does this sound at all familiar, Francesca?"
"I almost hate you," she whispered. And she felt a tear sliding down her cheek.”
2 likes