Deadly Desire (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #4)

Deadly Desire (Francesca Cahill/Deadly #4)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  458 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The time is turn-of-the-century New York City. Society's elite host glittering balls inside sprawling mansions while outside, the teeming street harbor secrets of their own.

New York City's Police Commissioner Rick Bragg has been called upon to investigate a shocking crime. Reluctant to pull Francesca into a case that could be very dangerous, Rick also knows the beautiful a...more
Published May 19th 2002 by St. Martin's (first published 2002)

Paganalexandria **wicked juices bubbling over**
Okay I'm still on the re-read train, and this one had me feeling really conflicted. We are finally introduced to the rest of the Bragg family and some fair better than others. Rick and Calder's little sister Lucy is so TSTL that she bogged this whole book down with her choices that never make sense. At the same time Rick's past shows up into town and takes center stage. Character wise, this is a pivotal book in this series. Plot wise, not so much. It has the worst pacing that I've run across dur...more
Amy
This series is like a soap opera. There is so much drama going on! There are some characters I hate (Evan...a man ruled by his c*ck) and some I like. The chemistry between Francesca and Calder Hart is much better than the chemistry between her and Bragg.
slayra
This fourth instalment of the "Deadly Series" is way better than the previous ones (at least better than the first and third books, for I have not read the second). While the mystery story is typically simplistic and insipid (and in this case, incomplete too... perhaps the second mystery will be resolved in the next book), Deadly Desire has romantic intrigue in spades, with heroine Francesca Cahill feeling frustrated because of her mixed feelings towards Rick Bragg's half-brother, notorious ladi...more
Stacy
Francesca’s relationship with Rick reaches a tipping point when she receives a note from his wife and her friendship with Calder heats up. Rick is the good guy out to reform the New York police department and his half-brother Calder is the cad only out for himself…and Francesca.

There is no way to read this one without having read the others and get any enjoyment. I think it would be too confusing. That being said, I love this series, so if you like romances I recommend finding book one.

Carole Moran
This novel in the series featuring Francesca Cahill as female sleuth was not one of my favorites. In fact it featured so many devastatingly handsome men all completing for her attention that it read like a soap opera script. The mystery was minimal, the detecting almost non-existent, and the sexual overtones strong enough to light fires on cold winter nights. I was not appreciative. I gave it the three stars simply because it is part of a series which until now I have found quite entertaining.
Nicci
Book number#4 in series so far this one is my favorite. There is a lot of mystery and I love that at the end it left a cliffhanger. So now I HAVE to read the next book.

The writer does a good job of getting me to dislike the characters I should and pulling for the underdog.

Fun read.

Alicia
Rick is not sure he wants Francesca helping with the cases beacause they are turning more and more dangerous. We also see Francesca's feelings told Calder changing as she begins to understand him better. Rick is interacts with man.
Monique J.
Read my review on my blog: Too Many Books, Not Enough Time. Here is the URL.

Gaynell
The intrigue only gets deeper, not only with Francesca but with lots of secondary characters. I'm loving this soap opera series!
Ellenbaker1cox.net
I did not like this book; it was hard to get into. I love her books, but not this one. In fact, I did not finish it.
Lesli
Francesca makes a fascinating character. This is clearly romantic suspense at the dawn of the 20th century.
Karen
A really good book that I read in 2008.
Bigd_041555
Jul 03, 2014
Sarah added it
Jul 02, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Stacey Lee
Stacey Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
  • One Hot Mess (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery #5)
  • Murder on Fifth Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #14)
  • The Russian Hill Murders (Sarah Woolson Mystery, #2)
  • A Broken Vessel (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #2)
  • Lady of Sin (Seducers spin-off #2)
  • Gramercy Park
  • Silk and Shadows (Silk Trilogy, #1)
  • Where Serpents Sleep (Sebastian St. Cyr, #4)
  • Rogues' Reform (Lester Family, #1-3)
  • You Only Love Once (The Bow St. Agents: Spies in Love 3)
  • The Dangerous Debutante (Romney Marsh, #2)
  • Venus (V, #1)
  • When Twilight Burns (Gardella Vampire Chronicles, #4)
  • Silent in the Sanctuary (Lady Julia, #2)
Brenda Joyce is the bestselling author of forty-one novels and five novellas. She has won many awards, and her debut novel, Innocent Fire, won a Best Western Romance award. She has also won the highly coveted Best Historical Romance award for Splendor and Two Lifetime Achievement Awards from Romantic Times BOOKreviews. There are over 14 million copies of her novels in print and she is published in...more
More about Brenda Joyce...
Dark Rival (Masters of Time, #2) Dark Seduction (Masters of Time, #1) Dark Embrace (Rose Trilogy, #1; Masters of Time Series, #3) The Conqueror Dark Victory (Rose Trilogy, #2; Masters of Time, #4)

“Afraid, Francesca? Afraid of the real woman inside of yourself?" he purred.
"I am afraid of you!" she snapped.
"I don't think so. It is not me you are afraid of. I think you are afraid of the truth; I think you are afraid of yourself.”
0 likes
“You have told yourself that you have found your knight in shining armor, my brother Rick. Isn't that the truth? You met him and he fit the bill, so you have told yourself a wonderful story and, stubborn brat that you are, you have been clinging to it ever since. After all, what could be more appropriate than for Francesca Cahill, reformer extraordinaire, to fall in love with my reform-minded Republican brother? But wait! Being as this is a love story, there has to be an unhappy middle and the perfect hero isn't quite so perfect after all. For he is married. Oh, wait! It isn't that bad, after all, for as it turns out he is a man of virtue, and he really loves you, while he despises his wife! And did I forget to mention that she is vile and evil? So the story can limp along, and true love might survive after all! Does this sound at all familiar, Francesca?"
"I almost hate you," she whispered. And she felt a tear sliding down her cheek.”
0 likes