Deadly Caress (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #5)

Deadly Caress (Francesca Cahill/Deadly #5)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  446 ratings  ·  14 reviews

Brenda Joyce's New York Times best-selling novels have thrilled millions of readers. Now, in her latest Francesca Cahill novel, return to the lush mansions and teeming streets of New York City's Gilded Age, where intrigue and seduction lie on every corner...

The year is 1902. The place is New York City. A famous stage actress has been found strangled in an artist's studio,...more
Published April 14th 2003 by St. Martin's (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Caress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Caress

Jeanne
In spite of the original setting and genre, this book remains a classical romance with just a bit too many clichés. Enjoyable, but nothing to be very excited about.

In this fifth book of the Deadly series, Francesca Cahill, an idle rich young woman and amateur sleuth, has a lot on her plate. Firstly, there is the return to New York of the beautiful, estranged wife of Commissioner Rick Bragg, whom Francesca is in love with. Secondly, she must deal with an unwanted and surprising proposal from Cald...more
Paganalexandria **wicked juices bubbling over**
Okay, this one was a little hard to get through. The mystery just didn't make a lot of sense. I had to subtract half a star from my original rating because sentimentality clouded my judgment. Calder is still the main attraction and does not disappoint. This book deserves 2 1/2.
Alicia
Twists and turns are in store for book 5 of the series. We find out some secrets that Rick has been hiding that may alter his relationship with Francesca... and Calder just might have a shoulder for her to cry on.

Each book keeps getting better...
Yaseena
Continue to be somewhat annoyed by Francesca, although she is getting better. It was her naivete that really annoyed me at first, that and the fact that she is supposed to be this brilliant woman and yet isn't all that street smart when it comes to quite a lot of things. She is painted as very intelligent and yet I feel this intelligence isn't really clear to readers in a lots of ways. All that asides, I think that Francesca comes off very dramatic in a lot of ways because of the way Brenda Joyc...more
Ns
Once again, we re-acquaint ourselves with Francesca Cahill, an intrepid and intelligent sleuth who stars in the Deadly Series. In Deadly Caress, she finds herself on familiar territory putting her detective solving skills to use in a murder mystery. Only this time the mystery sits too close to home. She is no stranger to scandal, continually involving herself in political reform in order to better the lives of the city's most vulnerable. This, much to the chagrin of her parents, her class, but a...more
Stacy
Francesca Cahill and Rick Bragg are having a few problems. Rick’s wife is back in town a determined to make a go of their marriage. Rick’s brother, the cad Calder Hart, is determined to marry Francesca. There’s also another killer on the loose in the streets of New York City and the Cahill house is in disarray after Evan is almost beaten to death because of his gambling debts. Francesca’s sister, Connie is still trying to come to terms with her husband’s infidelity and in 1902, women did not lea...more
Toni
This is my favorite book in this series so far, probably because I've fallen for the character of Hart and he had such a big part in this book. The rest of the ensemble of characters continue to evolve in interesting ways as well, though I continue to be annoyed by Bragg at times. It's a good series for historical mystery and romance that isn't too heavy - I'm on to the next one.
Nicci
I really enjoyed this book. I read it failry fast as I just had to know what was going to happen next. I did think I knew who the killer was then I switched it just as the author intended only to be surprised in the end. I am pulling for Calder I like his character not loving the Rick character at this moment. I immediately started reading the 6th book in this series.
Karen
This still continues the story of Francesca and Rick. Francesca has fallen in love Rick who is married. However, his wife has left him and is travelling through Europe. Francesca tries to hide her feelings from Rick but he senses something is up with her.
Lesli
I think that DC is the best of the Deadly series to date. The characters are less conflicted -- though the level of angst, lust, hatred, and love is VERY high -- and the very sense of human-ness (is that a word?) makes this book work.
Romance Reader
I think I would have liked this book A LOT better if I had known it was part of an ongoing series. I kind of like the main character, and the story wasn't really bad, but I had no connection with it because I hadn't read the other books.
ChloeLeeNH
Ok... she has picked one for now... but will it stay that way... Great mystery... built up a bit more... but so much of it was this triangle well square now that Braggs wife is in the picture. I am a woman obsessed, I must keep going!!
Gaynell
I really enjoyed this book. I have become even more enamored with Calder Hart. And, Francesca did not figure out the killer. Shows she is human. I still think of this series as a soap-opera in book form.
Monique J.
Read my review on my blog: Too Many Books, Not Enough Time. Here is the URL.

Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Hope Szabo
Hope Szabo marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Shona
Shona marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Jeri
Jeri added it
Jul 23, 2014
Bigd_041555
Bigd_041555 marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Mayve
Mayve marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Sheila
Sheila added it
Jul 03, 2014
  • Veils of Silk (Silk Trilogy, #3)
  • The Bodyguard (Captive Hearts, #3)
  • The Russian Hill Murders (Sarah Woolson Mystery, #2)
  • A Broken Vessel (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #2)
  • A Gentleman By Any Other Name (Romney Marsh, #1)
  • Gramercy Park
  • A Valentine Wedding
  • Halfway to Heaven (Calhoun Chronicles #3)
  • Murder on Fifth Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #14)
  • Rogues' Reform (Lester Family, #1-3)
  • Shadow Walker (Flame Set, #2)
  • Midnight Sun (Sinclair Sisters Trilogy, #1)
  • By My Side
  • Irresistible (Banning Sisters trilogy, #2)
  • Lady of Sin (Seducers spin-off #2)
  • Death at Whitechapel (Kathryn Ardleigh, #6)
Brenda Joyce is the bestselling author of forty-one novels and five novellas. She has won many awards, and her debut novel, Innocent Fire, won a Best Western Romance award. She has also won the highly coveted Best Historical Romance award for Splendor and Two Lifetime Achievement Awards from Romantic Times BOOKreviews. There are over 14 million copies of her novels in print and she is published in...more
More about Brenda Joyce...
Dark Rival (Masters of Time, #2) Dark Seduction (Masters of Time, #1) The Conqueror Dark Embrace (Rose Trilogy, #1; Masters of Time Series, #3) Dark Victory (Rose Trilogy, #2; Masters of Time, #4)