Start by marking “Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)” as Want to Read:
Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)

Winter's Heart (The Wheel of Time #9)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  52,676 ratings  ·  896 reviews
Millions of Robert Jordan fans will rejoice at the release of the ninth book in the phenomenally bestselling series The Wheel of Time. The sequel to the #1 New York Times bestseller The Path of Daggers, which swept the nation like a firestorm, Winter's Heart continues a remarkable tale that is mesmerizing an entire generation of readers.

Rand is on the run with Min, and in
Mass Market Paperback, 692 pages
Published 2001 by Orbit (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Winter's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter's Heart

Evgeny
This is one of the hardest books to rate; I thought long and hard whether to give this book 3 or 4 stars. I also could not take an easy path and give this book 3.5 stars; more on this later.

Perrin's subplot takes up the first quarter of the book. Perrin spends his time brooding and being miserable. To be fair, he comes to his senses from time to time; when he does he makes pointless talk. He also snaps at the people who really try to help him. It is really sad to see a pathetic human being which
Foomy
Pedro António
Worried that the series is slowing down to a crawl after the first two thirds of The Path of Daggers and wondering if Winter's Heart is worth it? Let me start with a resounding YES.

Like most people I too was a bit sceptical after The Path of Daggers since frankly until the last third of the book not very much happens and we're given the two most annoying POVs quite a lot of the time (Faile and Nynaeve). Fortunately Winter's Heart completely breaks away from that and I didn't feel like there was
Ryan
I try to resist looking at the relationship between books and movies in absolute terms.

For example, I think the film can be better than the book (Fight Club). Some adaptations seem to stand on their own (Lord of the Rings). And I'm pleased to read books that don't seem to be easily converted to film (William Gibson and Neal Stephenson come to mind).

To be honest, I doubt that "The Wheel of Time" will be converted for film.* The intrigues and internal conflicts that distinguish the early novels st
Jonathan

The Wheel of Time is a long and epic story. Long and epic narratives, for whatever reason (perhaps its the way in which they hint at reality) tend to be my personal favourite types of tales. However, as with book 8, Winter's Heart meanders on slowly and I maintain my stance that the content of books 8,9 and 10 could have been better delivered as one novel. That said this book interests me enough to like it for the most part.

The novel has some very apparent negatives such as the (again) plodding
Phrynne
Book 9 in my long slow read of this epic series. Slow because I only listen to the audio when I am walking my dog. Long because these are very long books. This one finished on a tremendous 5 star worthy high with Rand at last achieving something really worthwhile in a very exciting way. However the book loses a full star for the awfulness of the tedious section about Perrin. I get that he really loves Faile and he is going to pieces without her, but non stop whining for however many pages it was ...more
Kyle
The Wheel of Time series represents, for me, the perfect example of a guilty pleasure in the world of fantasy.

This series is not actually written very well. Robert Jordan was not a very good wordsmith, and he really only knew how to say and describe things one way. His characters are generally unbelievable, and have ridiculous dialogue. The plot is tremendously predictable, and is heavily influenced (close to the point of being unoriginal) by the fantasy works that came before. The whole story i
Adam
Well, that was...intense. Seriously, the last 60 pages of the book are breathless, world class fantasy. The rest is...

...well to be frank, the rest is not actually that bad. The biggest sin committed by this book is that Mat's storyline is downright dull until its very last pages. C'mon guys, Mat is supposed to be the fun one! Other than that though, the story moves along pretty well. We get lots of Rand, and his story continues to be the most compelling by far; Elayne's political wrangling is e
Skip
Melina
John
Book 9 in my re-read. Only three more to read before I get to the ones I haven't. This series has been a favorite of mine for a long time and that opinion hasn't changed with the 2nd reading. I'm looking forward to reading the final books by Brandon Sanderson.
Lilyan
Fina-Fucking-Lly. Wow. This installment really dragged. I think it took me forever to plow through it the first and second time around as well.

Nothing happens.

I felt relief once I realized that Perrin's plot only encompassed the first couple of chapters. It was short lived though as I instead had to read about Elayne and her posse of bickering women. What the hell is wrong with WOT females? I can't decide who is worse, the sea folk, the kin, the Aes Sedai, the Wise Ones, or the noble women. Aug
Dougao06
This is the first book in WoT that I review, and the reason is simple, I just didn't feel I had anything to add to the reviews here on any previous book: I think the general agreement is that books 1-6 are very good, and I definitely agree, and most people think book 7 is where things start to go wrong and book 8 an almost mediocre endeavour; I started skimming large parts of book 7, and book 8 I would recommend most to just skip it (not that it is unreadable, it is not that bad - I gave it 3 st ...more
Paul Williams
This book...was really good. Not the best in the series, and certainly one with a good many flaws, but overall, this was one of the better installments in the series of late.

The worst part was definitely the prologue...it wasn't necessarily too long, but certain viewpoints had two major plots they tried to convey, when we only should have received one each. Beyond that, there were a couple Elayne chapters that were too detailed (though her thread was overall decent and added some interesting th
Jerzy
Finally, a WoT book that ends decently well. Rand seems to succeed in (view spoiler), and it's written more clearly and well-timed than the previous few books' endings.

I don't remember what else happens, so apparently not much, but at least this one ends with me excited to continue rather than dreading the next book.

I do hate that so many choices here are made only because the choose
Garrett
Ooooh. I can see the end in sight and this one hooked me by the nose, pulling me along.

My patience with the previous book (no Matt) was rewarded this time. And, boy did I love how Mr. Jordan drew out the whole Matt finding out who Tuon was. And Matt's response when he does find out? Priceless. And the 3 women who love Rand and what they do? Hilarious. And the attempt to cleanse saidin? Whoa!

My only concern is what is going on with Faile (but there was a little hint of another plotline there).

Set
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

The first six chapters of Winter's Heart follow Perrin and Faile after Faile is abducted by the Shaido Aiel. The next several chapters follow Elayne as she returns to Caemlyn and prepares to make a bid for her mother's crown. These two storylines are incredibly dull and I confess that I skimmed over a lot of it and read the excellent cross-referenced chapter summaries at Encyclopaedia WOT. I read Winter's Heart years ago and I just did not feel like once a
Allison
**Contains spoilers for previous books! Possible mild spoilers for this one as well.

As is becoming a pattern in this series, Winter's Heart advances two major plot-points (Rand, Mat) while the others move into the background and stall for a while (Perrin, Elayne) or are completely absent (Egwene this time). There is more action in this book than the last, though, and it's not too full of brooding and self-doubt, making it a significant improvement on the last book.

Mat is back, trying to escape
Jamierkg
I read these books as they came out many years ago, waiting for each after book number 5. That was hard enough but when I eventually got to this one I was half way through and simply couldn't go on any more. This despite the sheer fantasy brilliance of most of the earlier books, despite developing saint-like patience as the gaps between releases grew exponentially, despite riding with a smile of desperation through chapters, nay hundreds of pages at a time, where nothing more than the most banal ...more
Chariti King Canny
This series is brilliant. There is just the right balance of fantastical detail and speed of reading. The way the author writes, as I get more and more involved in the story, the more plausible everything seems... the perfect fantasy novel. There are rare moments where he gets a little too tied up in detailing the scene environment, but overall, this is an excellent story.
He does follow the story formula, which probably is what adds to the simplicity and readability of the storyline. However, t
Ekaterina
Well, what can I say... It was far better than I expected, much better than the previous book, for example. Actually I was considering giving it 4 stars, but for the "warding" chapter - 3 girls? really? For me the whole chapter was so so... unpleasant (couldn't find a clearer word to express what I felt) and unnatural and ..... basically it was a perfect way to ruin any romantic story there was! But the last 100 pages were brilliant and Mat is so cool (sometimes). And this book gets an extra sta ...more
Leon Aldrich
I agree with many reviewers about the excessive mentioning of braid tugging, skirt smoothing, and birching (i.e. a training tool to make Aes Sedai into leaders & role models).

And while I read every word, not skipping pages, sometimes it was like a second job to stay with it.

My challenge is that while this series was still being written, I had read Wheel of Time eight or nine times; book two seven times; book three six times...and so on. I wasn't about to reread books one through eight again
Haven
This Series of Books were AMAZING! Robert Jordans Wheel Of Time Series had me staying up all night reading, to the point my parents took my lightbulb out of my room.
I have read this series many times, and loved it as much as the first time. I am eagerly awaiting the next and final book to this series A Memory of Light, that is to be written by Brandon Sanderson, with help of notes and excerpts written by the late James Oliver Rigney Jr. who is better known as Robert Jordan.
Ronald
Ah, I made it. This was the book that made me quit WoT years ago, but I've pushed my way through it finally. Perhaps being older and having a bit more patience was the key here.

First of all I'll say that Mat's parts in this book really saved it. Mat is one character that Jordan definitely had fun writing. It just shows in all of his chapters. He's a fun character and his current story line is interesting.

Perrin and Faile in the beginning were an awful start, though. Both are terrible characters
Vladimir
Po tempu, dosta sporiji nastavak nego prethodni pa zato tri zvezdice. No kako pred sobom imam još pet delova nisam nešto jako razočaran ali da sam dve, tri godine čekao na nastavak i onda dobio ovaku knjigu, mislim da bih bio jako ljut. Završnica je standardno dobra. Dešavanja u Kaemlinu, Far Madingu i Ebou Daru su dovedena do vrhunca tako da se već radujem desetom delu.
Amanda
I'm really unsure why people say that the pacing in Winter's Heart is glacial. So much happened in this book - and there were some events that have been hinted at that we've been desperate to see that finally occurred. I was deeply impressed and found the novel immensely satisfying in many ways. Good stuff and some excellent progression.
Farès
Oh that final battle!.. It compensated all the first part where Perrin was so annoying..
A little more details on the real fighting and I would have given 5 stars to the book, Perrin or no Perrin..
Dan
Every major character is knee deep in action. So much happening, so much accomplished. A very enjoyable segment of this awesome series!
Carl Alves
Sometimes I think Robert Jordan got paid by the word. Winter's Heart is so overwritten and has page after page and chapter after chapter of content that does nothing to move the story forward. If you cut the novel in half, it would still be too long for what actually transpired. Nothing of real consequence actually happens until about the last 20 pages, which is unacceptable for a 600 hundred plus page novel.

There are other issues with the novel, namely the unwieldy cast of characters that are i
  • Elven Star (The Death Gate Cycle, #2)
  • Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #6)
  • Reaper's Gale (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #7)
  • Krondor: Tear of the Gods (The Riftwar Legacy, #3)
  • The Scions of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #1)
  • Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1)
  • Sons of the Oak (Runelords, #5)
  • Demon Lord of Karanda (The Malloreon #3)
  • Scion of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #11)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan...
The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2) The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3) The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4) The Gathering Storm (Wheel of Time, #12)

“Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget.” 43 likes
“The seals that hold back night shall weaken, and in the heart of winter shall winter's heart be born amid the wailing of lamentations and the gnashing of teeth, for winter's heart shall ride a black horse, and the name of it is Death.

-from The Karaethon Cycle: The Prophecies of the Dragon”
4 likes