Start by marking “How to Make Money with Social Media: An Insider's Guide on Using New and Emerging Media to Grow Your Business” as Want to Read:

Marketers, executives, and entrepreneurs are seeking more effective ways to utilize social media to make money and they are struggling to wade through the hype and unproven techniques being offered up by self proclaimed experts. Now, there is an authoritative, up-to-the-minute resource, written by real experts who have made social media marketing work for many of the world ...more
Published September 20th 2010 by FT Press

To ask other readers questions about How to Make Money with Social Media, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Make Money with Social Media

Mercedes
Aug 16, 2015 Mercedes rated it really liked it
Shelves: marketing
This was a great book on social media marketing. I learned several new marketing models and processes to add to my business. With the knowledge I have gained from reading this book I am super pumped to take my marketing to a whole new level.
Joan Reeves
Jun 02, 2012 Joan Reeves rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, self-help
Basic Primer

This book is a good primer for someone who doesn't know social media at all. However, based on the long descriptive title of this book, I simply can't give this book a glowing review because the content just doesn't deliver what the title says.

However, having said that, there's still a lot of basic information about traditional and online marketing that may make the book valuable to beginners.

Praise

The book is written in a conversational style that makes it accessible to just about a
Brandon Anderson
Feb 25, 2017 Brandon Anderson rated it liked it
An okay resource, but had a couple of key examples they kept coming back to and didn't seem to dig too deep into the material
Kelly  Schuknecht
Jun 10, 2011 Kelly Schuknecht rated it really liked it
Shelves: marketing
It's important to read the subtitle when considering this book. How to Make Money with Social Media: An Insider's Guide on Using New and Emerging Media to Grow Your Business. While the first part of the title may lead you to believe it is a book about earning income with social media (and, therefore, possibly a "get rich quick" kind of scheme), it's really a comprehensive guide to creating a social media strategy for your business to increase your revenues using social media along with the exist ...more
Blog on Books
Jun 06, 2011 Blog on Books rated it really liked it
“How to Make Money from Social Media” (Jamie Turner and Dr. Reshma Shah) adds little to the discussion of the material already in the market about this field. Its tone is much more genteel than other books on the subject and while it covers all the bases, some of its information is already a bit out of date. Moreover, it is not so laser-targeted on making money as its title suggests. While it does have a handy Quick Start Guide to social media, it wastes time on outmoded sites like Friendster, H ...more
Jeb
Nov 27, 2011 Jeb rated it did not like it
This is just another,formulaic, marketing book that spends an inordinate amount of time explaining the obvious and highlighting vignette use cases of marketing by companies that probably aren't anything like yours, therefore, providing useless information to you.

Someone really needs to write a marketing book on social media (maybe it's out there) that creates a template of 5 or six company types and then gives you a point by point process on what you should try to do around social media.

About 1/
Angela Whiting
Jan 07, 2012 Angela Whiting rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book with lots of ideas and tips for developing, creating and instituting a very successful social media campaign across multiple online channels. It explained how to measure your return on investment (ROI) and track what is being said about your company all over the Internet as well as learn what your competitors are doing with social media. It also had great ideas about the content you should giving your prospects to build awareness, drive traffice to your website and gen ...more
Leora Wenger
May 09, 2011 Leora Wenger rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Catchy title, but it did not live up to its promise. Certainly not great for small business - maybe it's better for a corporate marketing exec, but I was interested in a small business approach.

I have made money (clients via social media) using social media and I didn't do it the way they described in the book. One of my friends said I should write my own book.

Better to read Crush It by Gary Vaynerchuk.
Andrew Shaffer
Jan 29, 2011 Andrew Shaffer rated it it was amazing
I've read many social media books, and this is one of the only ones that cuts through the hype. It views social media through the existing advertising and marketing landscape and gives reasons why companies should--and shouldn't--use it. A great overview of a constantly evolving landscape.

My ONLY quarrel is with the title. It *is* about using new and emerging media to grow your business, but "How to Make Money with Social Media" sounds like a spammers' tagline on Twitter.
Kara Poe Alexander
Apr 08, 2013 Kara Poe Alexander rated it really liked it
This book offers a nice overview of social media and gives a lot of good tips for using media to grow your business. It's a good book for beginners and others interested in developing a marketing campaign. It's practical, easy-to-read, and well written. The title is a bit misleading, but the subtitle is a better representation of the book. I'd recommend it for small business owners, CEOs, and others who are familiar with social media but who want to harness social media for different purposes.
Michael Moseley
Nov 18, 2012 Michael Moseley rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Read this book to help Nic with some work. I am quite interested in this subject and found some interesting details of what to do and how to set up social media systems. Not sure that this book was really true from the title. Perhaps marketing using social media for corporations’. 2nd Author Reshma Shah
Em
Aug 10, 2014 Em rated it it was ok
Not a bad book, but it needed to use more varied examples. It seems that every few pages it referred to My Starbucks Idea, and every single time it was mentioned the website concept was explained thoroughly. I got it the first time! If not, I got it the first 10 times! Shut up about Starbucks already!
Elizabeth Olson
Oct 24, 2012 Elizabeth Olson rated it it was ok
More suited to large-scale, corporate social media campaigns than to the needs of small businesses, non-profits, or individuals, but nonetheless useful for its insights into modern marketing realities and tips on measuring performance metrics.
Louise Silk
Jul 22, 2011 Louise Silk rated it did not like it
It was interesting to read all of the 4 and 5 star reviews of this book. I found it to be boring, uninformative, and a total waste of time. For anyone using a computer, with a website, and already blogging- keep doing what you're doing and don't take the time to look at this book!
Kristin
May 06, 2011 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read - helpful tools and guides to creating your own strategy. I have recommended this book to several people.
Wendy Dawn
Jun 26, 2011 Wendy Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Starts with the basics, but explores ROI in depth.
Katherine
Mar 01, 2011 Katherine marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Good so far
Adam Schweigert
Dec 12, 2011 Adam Schweigert rated it did not like it
Makes way too many sweeping generalizations to be very useful. I'd avoid this one and read one of the many more thoughtful books on this subject.
Kyle Willis
Jan 10, 2011 Kyle Willis rated it really liked it
Very practical so far and easy to move through. Great chapter reviews too that encapsulate the message and key points of the chapter which add to the book's value and readability.
Ericka Thompson
Ericka Thompson rated it liked it
May 10, 2015
Zach Wadzinski
Zach Wadzinski rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2015
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2010
Kurt Roberts
Kurt Roberts rated it did not like it
May 21, 2017
Ryan Manganiello
Ryan Manganiello rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2011
Cara
Cara rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2011
Cassandra
Cassandra rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Kyle Pivarnik
Kyle Pivarnik rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2011
varadaa
varadaa rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2017
Yauheni
Yauheni rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • PR 2.0: New Media, New Tools, New Audiences
  • The Truth About the New Rules of Business Writing (Truth About Series)
  • So, You Want to Start a Business?: 8 Steps to Take Before Making the Leap
  • Marketing Metrics: The Definitive Guide to Measuring Marketing Performance
  • No Bullshit Social Media: The All-Business, No-Hype Guide to Social Media Marketing
  • The Portable MBA in Entrepreneurship
  • The Brand Within: The Power of Branding from Birth to the Boardroom
  • Instant MBA
  • 15 Successful Communications Lessons (Collection)
  • Helping People Win at Work: A Business Philosophy called ''Don't Mark My Paper, Help Me Get an A'' (Leading at a Higher Level)
  • Confronting the Challenges of Participatory Culture: Media Education for the 21st Century
  • Your Brain and Business: The Neuroscience of Great Leaders
  • Social Boom!: How to Master Business Social Media to Brand Yourself, Sell Yourself, Sell Your Product, Dominate Your Industry Market, Save Your Butt, Rake in the Cash, and Grind Your Competition Into the Dirt
  • The Lazy Project Manager: How to be Twice as Productive and Still Leave the Office Early
  • Making Strategy Work: Leading Effective Execution and Change
  • The Art of Client Service, Revised and Updated Edition: 58 Things Every Advertising & Marketing Professional Should Know
  • Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want
  • UnSelling: Sell Less ... To Win More

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »