God Makes the Rivers to Flow: Sacred Literature of the World

God Makes the Rivers to Flow: Sacred Literature of the World

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Respected teacher and author Eknath Easwaran drew deep, ongoing inspiration from the sacred literature of all traditions. These 149 selections represent his choice of the most life-affirming and lyrical writings, from the great river of wisdom that is always flowing ? down the centuries and throughout the world.
The short extracts in this anthology come from the much-loved...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Nilgiri Press (first published 1982)

Tim Gannon
Contains some of the best writings of Christian, Hindu, Sufi, Jewish, Native American (only two unfortunately), Buddhist and Taoist traditions. Can be used for inspiration or deep meditation to become a better person. Apparently he has another book about his type of meditation that these readings are ideally suited for.

These are the kinds of passages that you can read and think about again and again, and still draw deeper meanings and potent inspiration from. Of course, to be meaningful, these...more
Tako
This is a one-of-a-kind book with mystical passages from various faith traditions hand picked by a contemporary mystic. It's in incredible resource for meditators who are not wedded to a particular religious tradition, or even meditators who are, but appreciate inspiration from other sources.

I have several copies of this book because I loan it out regularly, yet always want one on hand.
Sep 06, 2008 Jennifer marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith
This is a collection of sacred passages suitable for meditation. So far I really appreciate the Passage called "Silence" Which starts;

I weave a silence onto my lips,
I weave a silence into my mind,
I weave a silence within my heart...

I find that simply beautiful
Leanne Ellis
I love that the selections come from all different faiths across the world. Different passages speak to you at different times in your life, so this is a great book to reread from time to time.
Briege
This has many beautiful prayers from all around the world, I have memorized some and I love this book, it is a real treasure.
Susan
A nearly essential companion for anyone following Easwaran's 8 point program.
Dveith
Great resource for meditation readings!
Brian Hughes
Brian Hughes marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Tyler Jordan
Tyler Jordan marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Denise Tarasuk
Denise Tarasuk marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Ariel David
Ariel David marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Janessa
Janessa marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Connor Fraser
Connor Fraser marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Gandhi the Man: How One Man Changed Himself to Change the World Meditation: A Simple Eight-Point Program for Translating Spiritual Ideals into Daily Life The Upanishads The End of Sorrow: The Bhagavad Gita for Daily Living, Volume I [India's timeless and practical scripture presented as a manual for everyday use] The Mantram Handbook