Start by marking “All Hallows' Eve: 13 Stories” as Want to Read:
All Hallows' Eve: 13 Stories

All Hallows' Eve: 13 Stories

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  491 ratings  ·  74 reviews
A boy is trapped in a possessed car that has stalled in the path of an oncoming train. A girl is dragged into a crypt during a field trip to an eighteenth-century cemetery. A group of friends meet their fate after an unsettling visit with a backwoods psychic. And "that's" just the beginning. Celebrated author Vivian Vande Velde is at her spine-tingling best in this collect ...more
Published September 6th 2010 by Harcourt Brace and Company (first published September 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about All Hallows' Eve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Hallows' Eve

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

I have been a fan of Vivian Vande Velde ever since I read CURSES, INC. AND OTHER STORIES. I quickly followed that up by reading several of her other books, including NOW YOU SEE IT... and COMPANIONS OF THE NIGHT. Ms. Vande Velde is the master of spooky stories, whether they be contemporary, paranormal, or fantasy. What she's even better at, though, is writing short stories that have a way of staying with you long after you finish reading them.

With ALL HALLOWS'
Sesana
I've read a few things by Vivian Vande Velde before, and I was in the right mood for something nice and creepy. It's October! Time to roll out the scary books!

Sadly, I was a teensy bit disappointed. I was promised a chilled spine, and I rarely got it. Short story collections are almost always a mixed bag. No exception here! There were a few stories that were creepy, if not memorably so, and a few that fell flat.

The best of the lot were Morgan Roehmer's Boys (set in a haunted hayride!), Only on A
Elizabeth
This collection of short stories provides a good mix of suspense, terror, and intrigue, with just the right amount of humor thrown in. Some of the stories are particularly innovative, and the various twists and turns are sure to keep you interested. A charming YA collection.
10-11 Haley
I loved this book! It was very exciting in alot of parts. I think the author is very good at spooking people out. This is one of my favorite books to read right before halloween.
Mrs. Foley
From library catalog - Presents thirteen tales of Halloween horrors, including ghosts, vampires, and pranks gone awry.

Fun, scary stories! Short enough to read during a class (or around a campfire!).

Review from Booklist (October 1, 2006 (Vol. 103, No. 3)):
Creepy and gruesome, these horror stories all take place on Halloween night when high-school characters bridge the gap between the living and the dead. "He opened the door, and a body fell out, a young woman with a bloody T-shirt and a knife s
Nan Silvernail
13 Scary Tales (for Kids and Young Adults - NS)

1) Come in and Rest a Spell - Love spells can be tricky.
2) MARIAN - A new kind of GPS
3) Morgan Roehmar's Boys - All the trills in a scary hay ride aren't real ... right?
4) Only on All Hallow's Eve - A young man thinks up a wicked little trick.
5) Cemetery Field Trip - A school outing in the bright sunshine.
6) Best Friends - Two BFF... together forever...?
7) Pretending - He's on his way to pick up his date, way out in the country.
8) I Want to Thank Yo
Robert Beveridge
Vivian Vande Velde, All Hallows' Eve (Harcourt, 2004)

Thirteen pretty standard horror stories for Halloween. (Somehow, I entirely overlooked the fact that it was October when I put both this and The Dollhouse Murders on hold. Now I know why it took so long to get them...) Collections like this have been floating around kidlit for generations, and if you've seen one, you've seen 'em all. Or most of 'em, anyway. (I have a soft spot for a number of Robert Arthur's Alfred Hitchcock collections, in wh
Sheila
After reading All Hallows’ Eve, by Vivian Vande Velde, I wandered over to the author’s website and found a long list of books, many of them fantasies for teens, and even a section with a wise and fascinating essay on why books shouldn’t be banned. I think I like this author! (Wish I could be in one of her writers’ groups!)

All Hallows’ Eve is a fun collection of scary Halloween tales; thirteen of them, of course, all different, all fascinatingly original. There’s Granny, offering that perfect spe
Laura Delano
This book is an amazing book to read. This has to be my go to When I miss the feeling halloween brings me. With in this story of multiple stories that have a dark humor while others are sad. Parts that make you question things with out dragging you to be uncomfortable places. Giving to real situations that still having a paranormal feel that we all want. All of this is combined into one, behind a cover. This book I will always want to read again.
Rebecca
Sep 26, 2007 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 6th grade and up; read with the lights on!
I love to recommend this one during the Halloween season! Prolific writer Vivian Vande Velde (I want her name) presents 13 stories that all take place on Halloween night. There is a wide variety in the traditional horror genre -- some vampires, some murders, some ghosts -- but appropriate for middle school. Several of these still spring into my mind a year after first reading them -- "Cemetary Field Trip" (girl wanders away from her class to follow the sound of a mewing kitten between the tombst ...more
Zaria king
Some of these stories were really great while others were meh.I enjoyed specifically 4 stories out of the thirteen stories mostly because of the endings which I did not see come coming. I really wanted to rate it a full 4 stars but the other stories I took a while to get through (because they were a little boring) but overall I really enjoyed reading this.
M-Tear
I posi-tute-ly loved this book. My top favourite short stories were (in order of appearance):

-Come in and Rest a Spell
-I Want to Thank You
-When and How
-When My Parents Come to Visit -and-
-My Real Mother

I will definitely need to read more of Vivian Vande Velde's books in the future!
Carie Juettner
I love scary stories and there are some scary stories in this book. Too many horror stories for kids have the Scooby-Doo ending. Oh! It was just Farmer Bob in a mask! Not these. I enjoyed almost all of the 13 stories, but it was the third one-- "Morgan Roehmar's Boys"-- that made me sit up and take notice. It reminded me of when I first picked up The Hunger Games back in 2009 and thought, Is she REALLY going to have kids killing kids? Oh, yep. She is. Vivian Vande Velde's book hit me the same wa ...more
Mehsi
Spine-tingling? Mmm yeah sure 1 or 2 stories had that. But the rest? Not really, some are just spine-tingling boring or lame.

My favourite ones would be the girl who goes off to find her adoptive parents, and the group that goes to a psychic (I absolutely loved the ending of that story) and the boyfriend who finds out his girlfriend is (view spoiler).

Also liked the one or 2 really short chapters between them, Granny and the girl seeking refugee. I lo
Eric Krause
Excellent short stories. For a teen audience, but most are very good horror stories for any age.
readknitread
Pretty good scary stories for those who remember Scary Stories to Read in the Dark and want something a little older. 13 short stories that include
-A car that seeks revenge on speeders
-5 friends who get told their future by a physic
-A haunted barn that use to be owned by a serial killer
-A field trip to a ghost filled cemetery
-A girl who haunts her best friend
-A family of vampires and a new unsuspecting boyfriend
-Repeated hauntings that occur every Halloween (multiple stories)

SmarterLilac
Great! Reminds me of my beloved Joan Aiken in terms of subject matter and style. I really liked the story 'How and When,' which plays with time, and 'Pretending,' which was decidedly creepy. It's nice to read YA horror that isn't condescending or obviously trying too hard. But the reason it didn't get five stars from me is I kind of think Velde could have, um, tried a bit harder. Scarier or more serious stuff from this author wouldn't be unwelcome.
3leslie2566
Jan 25, 2012 3leslie2566 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
this book is very intersecting so far. it is talking about how in the begining this girl came to this old ladys house. And the old lady is saying oh what nice hair you have and what nice skin you have. then the girl was saying i have a problem that i like this boy but he doesnt like me back. then the lady says grandma can make anything happen. and does this potion on him , then traps the little girl and goes for the boy!
Celina
All Hallows' Eve, “A book that begs to be read with the lights on and the doors locked!” WHAT A LIE! I picked up this book thinking it would be a horror book, which is what it was SUPPOSED to be. Out of the 13 stories, only “My Real Mother” was interesting to me. I do not suggest reading this book because each story has a horrible plot and the characters could have been developed much better than how they were.
Kelsey
Age: 10-14

Most of these stories have excellent twists at the end, making them great for storytelling. Some of the humor seems to be trying too hard, which older teens may have less tolerance for.

"When and How" could be condensed for storytelling.
"Morgan Roehmar's Boys" might be too frightening to tell (in the very end, female protagonist is murdered by a serial killer pretending to be her friend)
meeners
man, these stories were creepy! XD vande velde really doesn't hold back on the murders. if i had read this as a kid, i think i would have gotten nightmares. as it is, i enjoyed the collection much more than i thought i would. vande velde tends to privilege the "surprise ending" over all other aspects of plot, which makes for some awkward stories, but i personally quite enjoyed letting myself be surprised.
Blayne
I knew it was a YA anthology and for some reason that's exactly what I wanted for my Halloween reading. The stories are brief and fun. They are creepy but not keep-you-up-at-night scary and I didn't mind at all. I like my Halloween entertainment to be less blood and guts and more like a chilling whisper on the wind and that's what you get here. I had a good time with this book.
Becky
Nov 15, 2007 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens who like a good scare
Shelves: teen, scary, short-stories
This book is perfect for the Halloween season. It features 13 chilling stories of teens getting into some creepy situations on and around Halloween. My favorites were "When and How" about a group of friends' visit to an eerie psychic, and "My Real Mother," a seemingly normal story with a twist ending. If you like a good scare, without all the blood and guts, give this one a try.
Izlinda
I was browsing the shelves for "Young Adult" at my public library. I recognized Vivian Vande Velde's name since I was looking up a book by her (which unfortunately my library doesn't have). There are some good stories in here, and some that were rather expected. I thought the style was very straight-forward, which fits the target group. Some of them were rather sad, too.
Sunshie
Some of the stories were decent but a few I was like OMG! I love! I don't remember their titles but the one about the Halloween hayride employee and the other one about the fortune teller were amazing. The one about the adopted girl would have been my favorite if she had kept out of mythical beasties. The GPS serial killer was pretty good too.
Veraa
I picked this one up at a book fair because I love reading creepy stories on the tumblr. I thought this was going to be something simular. And maybe it is for younger children but the few stories I read weren't scary at all. They were short and were supposed to be scary but I found them boring.
Maybe I'll give it to my nephews :')
Aimee
This was a perfect book to get me in the mood for Halloween! All the stories were a little spooky and some were positively scary and each had a great little twist somewhere. So fun to read and I'd bet this would be fun to read at a campfire if people still tell scary stories at campfires that is...
Massie
It was pretty good--not as scary as i thought it would be and as the book said it would be. There was humor in all the stories, something that makes reading anything slightly scary. I enjoyed it a lot, and since it was a collection of stories, it was a pretty quick read.
Kathy Jackson
The book had many good stories - none overly scary or even intense. My favorite was the GPS story - that one I've re-read several times. Overall, a fun book for Halloween and worth the read. I know this is short but the book is a book of shorts so it seems fitting. :-)
  • Gothic!: Ten Original Dark Tales
  • 666: The Number of the Beast
  • Even More Short & Shivery: Forty Five Spine Tingling Tales
  • Haunted America
  • The Dark: New Ghost Stories
  • Beware the Ninja Weenies: And Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #6)
  • Sweet Miss Honeywell's Revenge: A Ghost Story
  • A Fate Totally Worse Than Death
  • When the Ghost Screams: True Stories of Victims Who Haunt
  • Your Neighborhood Gives Me the Creeps: True Tales of an Accidental Ghost Hunter
  • Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories
  • The World's Most Haunted Places: From the Secret Files of Ghostvillage.com
  • Bloody Horowitz
Vivian Vande Velde (born 1951, currently residing in Rochester, New York) is an American author who writes books primarily aimed at young adults.

Her novels and short story collections usually have some element of horror or fantasy, but are primarily humorous. Her book Never Trust a Dead Man (1999) received the 2000 Edgar Award for Best Young Adult Novel. She says that she really likes to write for
More about Vivian Vande Velde...
Heir Apparent (Rasmussem Corporation, #2) Dragon's Bait Companions of the Night The Rumpelstiltskin Problem Cloaked in Red