Start by marking “Blackheart's Legacy (The Odyssey of Jon Sinclair, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blackheart's Legacy (The Odyssey of Jon Sinclair, #1)

Blackheart's Legacy (The Odyssey of Jon Sinclair #1)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  36 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
What could be more exciting to a computer-savvy, twenty-first century boy than suddenly finding himself aboard a pirate ship...in 1692...sailing out to sea captive? Mysteriously abandoned in time by his time-travel capsule, Jon Sinclair is kidnapped and conscripted into the crew of a rogue captain, BlackHeart. In her frantic search for Jon, his grandmother, disguised as a ...more
Published June 23rd 2010 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published March 9th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Blackheart's Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackheart's Legacy

Treasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonPeter Pan by J.M. BarrieThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanBloody Jack by L.A. MeyerPirates! by Celia Rees
Pirates!
137th out of 451 books — 603 voters

More lists with this book...

Dianne
Just in time for summer reading for kids I’ve found another buried treasure that sparkles and shines for both boys and girls!! Here is a time travel adventure about a young boy and his grandparents who discover what it is really like to sail the high seas in the late 17th century aboard a pirate ship or two. Join Jon Sinclair as is taken under the wing of the legendary pirate, BlackHeart. Jon will brave the deadly seas, face hurricanes, searching for buried treasury and see firsthand what a batt ...more
Eileen Dandashi
Jul 11, 2015 Eileen Dandashi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun adventure with Jon and his Grammy and later Allistair at the infamous Pirates’ Babylon, better known as Port Royal in the Jamaican Islands.

We didn’t know where we were when we eventually reappeared other than it was 1692. However, Sally Copus did a terrific job, along with narrator Paul Woodson, through her words and his way of storytelling to bring us up to speed. We saw the forest where the Carousel landed, the town of Port Royal with ships in the harbor, the pirates and people a li
Jenny Falcone
Jul 30, 2015 Jenny Falcone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I received a copy of this in exchange for an honest review. I'm currently 44% through. The main character, Jon, is a young boy who traveled back in time with his grandmother. They were looking to visit the signing of the Declaration of Independence but something went wrong and they ended up about a 100 years earlier. Jon gets separated from his grandmother and ends up on a pirate ship as a cabin boy.

This book is written in third person omniscient view. We know what the character knows and the pe
Sarah Fairburn
Jul 14, 2015 Sarah Fairburn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won the sequel to this book from a giveaway here on Goodreads, and while awaiting its arrival, checked out this book (BlackHeart's Legacy) from the library.

Keeping in mind that it IS written for pre-teen/teen readers, and thus forgiving the dramatic reactions characters occasionally exhibit, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's a time-travelling pirate book! Initially I wasn't so thrilled because the beginning really has no background information for the setting, such as why there is a time tr
Tex Reader
3.5 of 5 stars – Escapist Pirate Tale to Tickle Your Inner Child.

As a kid I enjoyed reading pirate and swashbuckling tales, so I thought I’d try this one out as a way of revisiting that childhood fancy. And I have to say that Sally Copus delivered with a fine tale.

I love historical fiction because it allows me travel back in time to get a feel of the places, peoples and their times. I’ve read other pirate stories from this time, some set in Port Royal, and while some pictured the setting well, a
WriteKnight
Aug 25, 2015 WriteKnight rated it really liked it
Blacklheart’s Legacy would be a delightful adventure for any number of kids, or adults who want an enjoyable light read.

Sally Copus’ writing was good for the target age group, not overly complicated or prosaic, with decent descriptions of the people and places and a nice pace. I became invested in the well-being of the tween MC and rooted for the good guys. That was not always obvious, making my adult self that it was all black and white. But the bad guys were definitely bad guys, and they came
Dani-lynn Bettell
Very enjoyable

A very entertaining read appropriate for all ages. Looking forward to reading the sequel and Jon's next adventure through time.
John
Jul 07, 2015 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an incredible debut novel by Sally Copus. I thoroughly enjoyed this and can't wait to read the next installment!
Daniel
Oct 07, 2015 Daniel rated it liked it
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 3.25 of 5.

The success of the children’s/YA Harry Potter series has done a great deal to bring attention to the children’s book market, and I’ve seen an incredible amount of YA fantasy and science fiction over the years. But what if you aren’t interested in reading about witches and spells and the like? Is there still material out there for the YA/child reader? Yes.

BlackHeart’s Legacy, by Sally Copus, still maintains a science fic
J. Ewbank
Aug 22, 2015 J. Ewbank rated it liked it
Shelves: a-good-read, novel
This book by Copus is a very good one for young folks. Even older folks like me enjoyed reading it. It is written so the young can read it, the plot is well thought out and interesting and the characters are sketched out well for us. It is an interesting read.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesley's Wars" "To Whom It May Concern" and "Tell Me about the United Methodist Church"
Meredith
Nov 09, 2015 Meredith rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-ve-won
I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway.

Time travel meets pirates. The first in a series of time travel adventures, Sally Corpus weaves historical 17th century Caribbean life, especially pirates, with a young boy, Jon Sinclair, from the 21st century. A time travel adventure to see the Declaration of Independence signed goes awry, leaving Jon and his grandmother stranded in 17th century Jamaica. Separated, Jon and his grandmother fight to find each other in pirate infested waters, while Jon'
Linda Cain
Dec 27, 2015 Linda Cain rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1st-reads
Very entertaining adventure story for children but fun for adults too. Lots of interesting information about that period of time in history with ships and pirates. I was very pleased to win this and the 2nd book in the series from Goodreads. I look forward to reading Keys to Atlantis soon. This is definitely a book I will read with my grandson in a few years.
Amanda
Sep 08, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book from the author on a first reads contest and I was happily surprised when I finished it. The book was fast paced and fun, with plenty of adventure, as promised by the author. There are neat history tidbits that I enjoyed as well. I am looking forward to reading the second book in the series.
Chris
Wonderful book for kids! Lots of excitement, pirates, hurricanes, and sunken treasure abound in this 17th Century time-travel adventure for young readers.

Jon Sinclair and his grandmother travel back in time and are separated. Captain Blackheart takes Jon aboard his ship, the Black Opal, and his Grammy has to find him. Blackheart's enemies are on the attack and Jon and Grammy are right in the middle of the action. Never a dull moment.

Kimber Burnett
Not my usual genre of book but I thoroughly enjoyed it! With pirates, the open water,time travel, familiar names and a bit of history, it was a great story that kept me engaged through the entire book. I look forward to reading her next book!
Mandy
Nov 25, 2015 Mandy marked it as to-read
(based on Kirkus review)
Katarina
Nov 23, 2015 Katarina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book of a trilogy.

I enjoyed reading this more than I thought I would. it's a great story that weaves timetravel into a pirate story. The book is great for kids, with minimal violence, while remaining true to the story. It's a great adventure story, which I think girls as well as boys will enjoy.
Fafa_Monstaa
Nov 04, 2015 Fafa_Monstaa rated it it was amazing
Found this to be a great read. With lots of intensity in it. Loved it all the way through.
Roylyne Markos
Feb 18, 2016 Roylyne Markos rated it really liked it
I won the second of this series of books, and was sent this book as well as the one I won.
I enjoyed reading this book once I got started. It seemed to be a little slow in the beginning, but picked up the pace after about page 85. It moved more rapidly after that and held my interest through the rest of the book and definitely made me want to go on to the next book in the series.
This is a story that should interest both adults that like the fantasy of time travel, and young people. Blackheart w
Pam Mooney
Feb 16, 2016 Pam Mooney rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I loved this book! Very entertaining and full of adventure appropriate for all ages. As an educator I loved the historical aspect and as a parent I love that it is truly appropriate for my kids. This is a wonderful book that is well written with great characters and picture perfect descriptions of scenery and life and times of the era the story is set in. It is great that it is a truly middle school book but I enjoyed reading as well. A good read!
Colleen ~ The Clever Girl from Gallifrey
This book is entertaining and very heavy on the sailing theme, which I loved. It is also full of a lot of history but never once comes off boring or dry. The author did a great job of mixing fact with fiction and melting several genres into one (YA, Fantasy, Science Fiction, etc.) I really did enjoy this and am excited to continue on with the series.
Daphne Sanchez
Mar 06, 2016 Daphne Sanchez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
A very adventurous, inmagantive story. Time travel meets pirates. Awesome! I enjoyed it very much. Intended for a young addience but captures the heart of the older reader as well.

I received a copy from the goodreads giveaway program.
Finn
Apr 19, 2016 Finn added it
Shelves: i-tried
I sort of got through the first chapter. I guess it came off as too childish with mediocre writing.
Jared
Jared marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
John D Kaweske
John D Kaweske rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Jsgenz
Jsgenz marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Leann
Leann marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Nanci D.
Nanci D. marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
  • The Demon Notebook (The Demon Notebook #1)
  • Ennara and the Fallen Druid (Ennara, #1)
  • Graham the Gargoyle #1: Graham's Grief
  • In the Time of Kings
  • My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Volume 4
  • Lizzie!
  • Foxheart
  • Artifacts, Volume 1
  • Ribbon of Love
  • Ryder On The Storm
  • Friends of Choice (Wings from Ashes, #1)
  • We Are Savages
  • Cleo (Cleo #1)
  • The Escape of Princess Madeline
  • Fork-Tongue Charmers (The Luck Uglies, #2)
  • Doctor Strange, Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment
  • Oliver and the Seawigs
  • The Secret Keepers
Sally Copus is enjoying a second career as a full time writer. The former CEO of a large direct marketing firm, she combines her extensive world travels with a love of history to bring the past to life for young readers.

BlackHeart's Legacy is the first book in The Odyssey of Jon Sinclair series, followed by the highly anticipated Keys to Atlantis. Copus resides in a pre-Civil War home built in 185
More about Sally Copus...

The Odyssey of Jon Sinclair (2 books)
  • Keys to Atlantis  (The Odyssey of Jon Sinclair, #2)