Project 17

Project 17

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  2,468 ratings  ·  391 reviews

High atop Hathorne Hill, near Boston, sits Danvers State Hospital. Built in 1878 and closed in 1992, this abandoned mental institution is rumored to be the birthplace of the lobotomy. Locals have long believed the place to be haunted. They tell stories about the unmarked graves in the back, of the cold spots felt throughout the underground tunnels, and of the treasures fou...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Hyperion (first published 2007)

Kira
This was some seriously creepy shit, right here. It freaked me the fuck out. I can't be bothered writing a whole review, so I'll give you five pros and five cons.

Pros:

1. Mimi. I love her.
2. Mimi and Chet. Chet's a douchebag, but he and Mimi make a good pair. It should also be noted that the reasoning behind Chet's clownish and defensive behavior is a serious and quite poignant one.
3. Christine Belle. Oh, damn. That thing with the chair and the voices and... Oh, my blood chills. I won't say why....more
Anastasia
Dec 16, 2013 Anastasia rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: high school students, the easily scared
A group of unlikely teens join up and explore a haunted asylum before it's destruction. Add typical characters, typical plot, throw in a gripping ghost story for good measure and you've got Project 17.

The characters seemed quite cliche. There's a comic relief, strong & attractive lead man, attractive brainiac, goth girl, and and the two theater kids (who were very annoying).

What gripped me the most though was the underlying story of a girl haunting the asylum. I HAD to keep turning pages u...more
Morgan F
Derik "LaPlaya" LaPointe decides he doesn't want to end up flipping burgers at his parent's diner for the rest of his life. So he gets the idea to be a film director, his first project being a movie about a group of teenagers crazy enough to spend the night in a haunted mental hospital the eve of its demolition. Now all he needs is a cast: Mimi, the goth chick, Chet, the comic relief, Liza, the gorgeous braniac, and Tony and Greta, two drama geeks. But once inside the hospital, the teens realize...more
Ann
Ages 11+ (some mild language) The Breakfast Club meets the Blair Witch Project, blandly. Not scary enough, and the supernatural elements are never clearly stated. (Was there really a ghost/haunting? Or wasn't there?) On the level with Lois Duncan, maybe not enough for high school horror fans.
Karin
Have you seen the movie Session 9? Did you like The Blair Witch Project? If so, you need to read Project 17.

Derek wants to be a film maker and he has come up with the perfect subject for a movie. He is planning to enter his film about teens spending the night inside the haunted Danvers State Hospital into a contest. The only thing he needs now is a cast.

Mimi is a goth chick. She begins helping Derek plan by drawing story boards for possible scenes and showing him the ways to get into the hospit...more
Grace
this was such a good book!
Sue Moro
This is a story of a high school student, named Derik, who decides to enter a film contest in the hopes that if he wins it could lead to a big break and help him avoid a life of running his family's diner. The wining video will appear on Real Life Television. He decides to take a group of students and break into, and film overnight, in the town's abandoned mental asylum. The place is rumored to be haunted.

Derik convinces his friend Chet to join him. The idea of getting out of the house for the n...more
ReD
Instead of reading this book, turn on the sci-fi channel and save yourself the trouble. The blurb on the back of the book reminds me very much of a sci-fi movie (Death Tunnel was the name, I believe.)

It's not that this is a bad book. The ending is satisfying, the humor is aimed for teens (so as a teen, I was amused), and the plot is enticing.

However, it was very disappointing. I kept waiting to see some sort of ghostly presence or feel a sense of danger for the cliche-characters, but I didn't. I...more
Colin. Macmaster
Anna
I'm going to give this caution right at the beginning: If you're creeped out easily (like me) don't read this book. If you're creeped out easily and STILL decide to read this book, don't read it when it's dark outside (like me). Hey, they say you learn from other people's mistakes, right?

Derik doesn't want to spend his life running the third generation family diner, but his grades won't get him into college. The last chance he has left is entering a film contest held by Reality TV on making a do...more
Angela
To be completely honest, the expectations I had for this book were completely shattered. I had expected this book to be extremely scary and terrifiying - I was not, in the least bit, scared while reading this, rather, I was preoccupied with thinking "this is weird".

There were a few things that really bothered me and, ultimately, made me give the rating that I did.

1.) When I realized that the chapters were broken up by each character's point of view, I got really excited. I figured that it would...more
Samantha
I think that this book is awesome. I loved it. I choose this book to read because it was interesting. It is a fiction book and it is at the Denvers state hospital is where the setting takes place. The main charecter is Liza she is outgoing, funny, and smart. The summary is Liza, Derik, Mimi,and Chet are all best friends they go into a hospital to look around and see if anything is going on in there. The hospital is haunted they lost mimi's doll that she carrys around her everywhere she goes. The...more
Whitney

The reason why I chose Project 17 is because I am into books that are mysteries, crimes, all those kinds of book. The Genre would probably be mystery or horror because it gets really scary and in some spots they were trying to figure out what was going on or how things were happening. The setting is dark, old, dusty, and scary! The main character is Derik; he is a teenager trying to win a contest so he doesn’t get stuck working at his parent’s diner for the rest of his life. He is tall black hai...more
Jessica
Laurie Faria Stolarz‘s Project 17 is about six teenagers breaking into a mental hospital who is said that spirits of those who lived in the hospital still remain. Once the six teenagers enter the hospital, they realize that they cannot leave without completing a mission: helping a spirit to find the Debbie doll.

After reading this book, I was disappointed that there are not enough suspense and horror elements. The story took too long to escalate and, to an extent, the ending was predictable. I di...more
Mitchel Broussard
For some reason I rathered the beginning of this book, more so than the middle and end. The character set ups are really interesting, as is finding out why these kids want to spend the night in a haunted asylum. I just found the actual part of the book that takes place in said asylum, Danvers State Hospital in Boston to be exact, not creepy enough.

Dont get me wrong, there's some weird shit in this book: dolls hanging from nooses, ghostly graffiti messages, whispering voices in empty corridors....more
Mehsi
This book was meh. I expected action, panic and frenzy, just like the blurb said there would be. Sadly the book starts slow, it takes a big part for them to actually go to the asylum/hospital.

After that there are some scary moments, but most of the time it is Greta x Tony, Liza x Derik, Mimi x Chet... aka romance and lots of drama/talking. Also we have some pranks being done by Chet.

But the whole scary action isn't until almost the last part. And by then we are nearing the last few pages so it...more
Wiktoria
I really enjoyed this book even though it was freaking creepy as shit. Not to mention that I finished it at 3 am! I really liked Christine and her actions throughout the book (I also didn't mind the little song she made up LOL)
I definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a funny and scary filled experience! 4 stars from me :-D
Jeannine Eilers
What a page turner!!!! Read this book in an hour.....

Danvers State Hospital, where the book is set, is a real place located in Danvers, MA. Built in 1878, the hospital was operational for over 100 years until its closure in 1992. Since then, most of the hospital structures have been torn down to make way for residential redevelopment. The unusual architecture of the building, a central structure with wings radiating out on each side "like the wings of a bat," was built according to the plans of...more
Alaysia
Project 17 is a thrilling, blood-pumping book, about a group of 6 senior high school students who take a trip to Danvers State mental asylum for each of their own different reasons. Derik, the main character, brings together the group so that he could have a cast for his project on creating a movie. However, things don't turn how they would have expected. A dramatic movie production turns into a dark, mysterious and scary night.

For horror book readers, horror movie watchers, or anyone who would...more
Claire
This book was really intense, it almost scared the crap out of me. I'm just glad I read the book while it was bright out.
The only thing I didn't like was how the narrative kept changing. Not only did it keep changing constantly, but they all sounded the same. I had to keep flipping back to the beginning of the chapter to see who was telling the story.
Lydia Engevold
Project 17 by Laurie Faria Stolarz is an interesting horror/fantasy novel for young adults. The story takes place in present day near Boston, where Danvers State Hospital was built in 1879 and then closed in 1992. A very unlikely group of six teenagers make the decision to stay overnight in the hospital, but all of them have different motivations. Derik wants to go because he believes it is the perfect opportunity to make his own film and enter a film making contest, which could save him from h...more
Angel

2.5 Stars

This story takes place in Danvers State Hospital, which was a real place but has now been torn down, I believe. It was also the setting for the movie Session 9, which I have only seen bits and pieces of and should probably watch the whole thing. I was excited to read this because I love a good ghost story, and don't get me wrong, there were a couple of cool ghostie moments (those parts were the reason this book got 2.5 stars), but there just wasn't enough of a paranormal atmosphere for...more
L
I really liked this book, although it was kind of short. I thought the author did an epic job of making the asylum sound creepy - the lights stayed on at my place!!
Sabrina TwinkleToes
This was an amazing book!!!! No negativity! I loved it.impossible to not love it. I couldnt put it down. Fabulously intreging mystery.
Joy
Mar 06, 2008 Joy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teens
Recommended to Joy by: Quick Pick committee
Loved it-- the plot twists so many ways! Teens will love this book and the multiple perspectives. Creepy and very chilling.
Abigail
Well, this is my first book that I have read that is focused on being eerie and scary. I really liked it! I just randomly found it at the library and decided to give it a try! Personally, I didn't find it scary, but it was definitely entertaining. I loved how all the characters were all so different, and I loved how I really got to understand them and respect them. I started this book in the car on the way to TN from Indiana for spring break, and finished it right before I got there. I really l...more
Danielle
Danvers State Hospital, rumored to be the birthplace of the lobotomy, opened in 1878 and closed its door in 1992. On the eve of the condemned building's demolition, six teens sneak into the supposedly haunted asylum to film an indie short film about their experience. As they explore the abandon halls and underground tunnels of the decaying wards, it might not be just crumbling floorboards that they need to be careful of.

Danvers State Insane Asylum is a real place... Or was a real place. It's sin...more
Amanda
Being in a haunted asylum? Count me in!
Janis Kay
Feb 05, 2014 Janis Kay rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of Bleed and Laurie in general. Anyone looking for a good scary story
Shelves: own, ya-lit
This really needs to be a movie...indie, TV, major picture, I don't care. It's way better than most of the stuff out there these days. Yes, I can't stand most of the 'horror' flicks out these days because they don't scare me. They just freak/gross me out with -seemingly- no real intent to actually horrify me. One that came super close was Halloween (the original). Anyone can easily imagine THAT happening. *violently shivers*

To the book! Publishers Weekly apparently said that this is "...Breakfa...more
Looking for a new book 2 7 Apr 02, 2014 05:07PM
thoughts on the book 2 22 Jan 19, 2012 01:04PM
Excellent YA thriller 1 13 Mar 06, 2008 11:32PM
  • 68 Knots
  • Believing (Lily Dale, #2)
  • I Was a Teenage Popsicle
  • All Hallows' Eve: 13 Stories
  • Bonechiller
  • Jennifer's Body
  • Killing Britney
  • Smile for the Camera: A Memoir
  • Wish You Were Dead (Thrillogy, #1)
  • Sleepless
  • Kisses and Lies (Scarlett Wakefield, #2)
  • Sword Play (The Seer, #4)
  • Delphine
  • 666: The Number of the Beast
  • Give Up the Ghost
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • The Tension of Opposites
  • Quad
Laurie Faria Stolarz grew up in Salem, MA, attended Merrimack College, and received an MFA in Creative Writing from Emerson College in Boston.

Laurie Faria Stolarz is an American author of young adult fiction novels, best known for her Blue is for Nightmares series. Her works, which feature teenage protagonists, blend elements found in mystery and romance novels.

Stolarz found sales success with he...more
More about Laurie Faria Stolarz...
Deadly Little Secret (Touch, #1) Blue is for Nightmares (Blue is for Nightmares, #1) Deadly Little Lies (Touch, #2) White Is for Magic (Blue is for Nightmares, #2) Silver Is for Secrets (Blue is for Nightmares, #3)