Start by marking “Project 17” as Want to Read:
Project 17

Project 17

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  3,120 Ratings  ·  444 Reviews

High atop Hathorne Hill, near Boston, sits Danvers State Hospital. Built in 1878 and closed in 1992, this abandoned mental institution is rumored to be the birthplace of the lobotomy. Locals have long believed the place to be haunted. They tell stories about the unmarked graves in the back, of the cold spots felt throughout the underground tunnels, and of the treasures fou
Published December 18th 2007 by Hyperion (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Project 17, please sign up.

Stephanie Better. I've read it twice because it's so good. I was so not impressed with Asylum that I haven't bothered to read the sequels.
Asylum by Madeleine RouxSanctum by Madeleine RouxThe Scarlets by Madeleine RouxProject 17 by Laurie Faria StolarzThe Ghost of Graylock by Dan Poblocki
Haunted Hospitals
4th out of 36 books — 45 voters
It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned VizziniThe Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken KeseyVeronika Decides to Die by Paulo CoelhoCut by Patricia McCormick
Fictional Mental Hospital Novels
44th out of 216 books — 710 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 06, 2008 Karin rated it really liked it
Shelves: youngadult
Have you seen the movie Session 9? Did you like The Blair Witch Project? If so, you need to read Project 17.

Derek wants to be a film maker and he has come up with the perfect subject for a movie. He is planning to enter his film about teens spending the night inside the haunted Danvers State Hospital into a contest. The only thing he needs now is a cast.

Mimi is a goth chick. She begins helping Derek plan by drawing story boards for possible scenes and showing him the ways to get into the hospit
Mar 06, 2008 Joy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teens
Recommended to Joy by: Quick Pick committee
Loved it-- the plot twists so many ways! Teens will love this book and the multiple perspectives. Creepy and very chilling.
Mar 20, 2008 Grace rated it it was amazing
this was such a good book!
Apr 09, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it
Being in a haunted asylum? Count me in!
Dec 16, 2013 Anastasia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: high school students, the easily scared
A group of unlikely teens join up and explore a haunted asylum before it's destruction. Add typical characters, typical plot, throw in a gripping ghost story for good measure and you've got Project 17.

The characters seemed quite cliche. There's a comic relief, strong & attractive lead man, attractive brainiac, goth girl, and and the two theater kids (who were very annoying).

What gripped me the most though was the underlying story of a girl haunting the asylum. I HAD to keep turning pages u
Jun 26, 2009 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, horror, contemporary
Ages 11+ (some mild language) The Breakfast Club meets the Blair Witch Project, blandly. Not scary enough, and the supernatural elements are never clearly stated. (Was there really a ghost/haunting? Or wasn't there?) On the level with Lois Duncan, maybe not enough for high school horror fans.
Nov 08, 2009 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advisory-09-10
Laurie Faria Stolarz‘s Project 17 is about six teenagers breaking into a mental hospital who is said that spirits of those who lived in the hospital still remain. Once the six teenagers enter the hospital, they realize that they cannot leave without completing a mission: helping a spirit to find the Debbie doll.

After reading this book, I was disappointed that there are not enough suspense and horror elements. The story took too long to escalate and, to an extent, the ending was predictable. I di
Morgan F
Derik "LaPlaya" LaPointe decides he doesn't want to end up flipping burgers at his parent's diner for the rest of his life. So he gets the idea to be a film director, his first project being a movie about a group of teenagers crazy enough to spend the night in a haunted mental hospital the eve of its demolition. Now all he needs is a cast: Mimi, the goth chick, Chet, the comic relief, Liza, the gorgeous braniac, and Tony and Greta, two drama geeks. But once inside the hospital, the teens realize ...more
Mitchel Broussard
For some reason I rathered the beginning of this book, more so than the middle and end. The character set ups are really interesting, as is finding out why these kids want to spend the night in a haunted asylum. I just found the actual part of the book that takes place in said asylum, Danvers State Hospital in Boston to be exact, not creepy enough.

Dont get me wrong, there's some weird shit in this book: dolls hanging from nooses, ghostly graffiti messages, whispering voices in empty corridors.
Nov 03, 2010 Whitney rated it it was amazing

The reason why I chose Project 17 is because I am into books that are mysteries, crimes, all those kinds of book. The Genre would probably be mystery or horror because it gets really scary and in some spots they were trying to figure out what was going on or how things were happening. The setting is dark, old, dusty, and scary! The main character is Derik; he is a teenager trying to win a contest so he doesn’t get stuck working at his parent’s diner for the rest of his life. He is tall black hai
Apr 29, 2011 Samantha rated it it was amazing
I think that this book is awesome. I loved it. I choose this book to read because it was interesting. It is a fiction book and it is at the Denvers state hospital is where the setting takes place. The main charecter is Liza she is outgoing, funny, and smart. The summary is Liza, Derik, Mimi,and Chet are all best friends they go into a hospital to look around and see if anything is going on in there. The hospital is haunted they lost mimi's doll that she carrys around her everywhere she goes. The ...more
Feb 24, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it
I'm going to give this caution right at the beginning: If you're creeped out easily (like me) don't read this book. If you're creeped out easily and STILL decide to read this book, don't read it when it's dark outside (like me). Hey, they say you learn from other people's mistakes, right?

Derik doesn't want to spend his life running the third generation family diner, but his grades won't get him into college. The last chance he has left is entering a film contest held by Reality TV on making a do
May 07, 2011 ReD rated it it was ok
Instead of reading this book, turn on the sci-fi channel and save yourself the trouble. The blurb on the back of the book reminds me very much of a sci-fi movie (Death Tunnel was the name, I believe.)

It's not that this is a bad book. The ending is satisfying, the humor is aimed for teens (so as a teen, I was amused), and the plot is enticing.

However, it was very disappointing. I kept waiting to see some sort of ghostly presence or feel a sense of danger for the cliche-characters, but I didn't. I
Colin. Macmaster
Nov 05, 2011 Colin. Macmaster rated it liked it
Sabrina TwinkleToes
This was an amazing book!!!! No negativity! I loved it.impossible to not love it. I couldnt put it down. Fabulously intreging mystery.
Feb 19, 2012 Kiki rated it really liked it
This was some seriously creepy shit, right here. It freaked me the fuck out. I can't be bothered writing a whole review, so I'll give you five pros and five cons.

1. Mimi. I love her.
2. Mimi and Chet. Chet's a douchebag, but he and Mimi make a good pair. It should also be noted that the reasoning behind Chet's clownish and defensive behavior is a serious and quite poignant one.
3. Christine Belle. Oh, damn. That thing with the chair and the voices and... Oh, my blood chills. I won't say why.
To be completely honest, the expectations I had for this book were completely shattered. I had expected this book to be extremely scary and terrifiying - I was not, in the least bit, scared while reading this, rather, I was preoccupied with thinking "this is weird".

There were a few things that really bothered me and, ultimately, made me give the rating that I did.

1.) When I realized that the chapters were broken up by each character's point of view, I got really excited. I figured that it would
Jul 27, 2012 Claire rated it really liked it
This book was really intense, it almost scared the crap out of me. I'm just glad I read the book while it was bright out.
The only thing I didn't like was how the narrative kept changing. Not only did it keep changing constantly, but they all sounded the same. I had to keep flipping back to the beginning of the chapter to see who was telling the story.
Sue Moro
Oct 15, 2012 Sue Moro rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-books
This is a story of a high school student, named Derik, who decides to enter a film contest in the hopes that if he wins it could lead to a big break and help him avoid a life of running his family's diner. The wining video will appear on Real Life Television. He decides to take a group of students and break into, and film overnight, in the town's abandoned mental asylum. The place is rumored to be haunted.

Derik convinces his friend Chet to join him. The idea of getting out of the house for the n
This book was meh. I expected action, panic and frenzy, just like the blurb said there would be. Sadly the book starts slow, it takes a big part for them to actually go to the asylum/hospital.

After that there are some scary moments, but most of the time it is Greta x Tony, Liza x Derik, Mimi x Chet... aka romance and lots of drama/talking. Also we have some pranks being done by Chet.

But the whole scary action isn't until almost the last part. And by then we are nearing the last few pages so it
Feb 21, 2014 Wiktoria rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book even though it was freaking creepy as shit. Not to mention that I finished it at 3 am! I really liked Christine and her actions throughout the book (I also didn't mind the little song she made up LOL)
I definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a funny and scary filled experience! 4 stars from me :-D
Nov 23, 2014 Heba rated it really liked it
Really typical at times.
The classic case of a group of misfits, forced into a situation together, and through a lovable back and forth, end up being friends?
"Breakfast Club meets Blair Witch Project"

The dialogue was hella cheesy at times, too.

But, it was a quick and interesting read. I was really invested on the actual story of the hospital, and Christine, and hardly the "romance" with the characters.
This would make a great movie, though, I think.
Nov 20, 2014 Adriyann rated it really liked it
Insane asylums freak me out so I decided to read this book for Halloween and it did not disappoint.
It was a fast paced, really creepy story & I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to get in the spooky mood.
Melissa Chung
Oct 26, 2015 Melissa Chung rated it really liked it
Nice one sitter read. I'm giving this book 3.5 stars. It was entertaining, but lacked a real scare factor.

If you have read Laurie's most recent books Welcome to the Dark House and Return to the Dark House, you will be familiar with the large cast of characters and having each chapter from a different POV.

In this book, Project 17, Derik is a high school kid looking for a way out of the family business. He doesn't want to bust his ass in a diner for the rest of his life, even though that is what h
Zombieslayer/Alienhunter {the crownless}
My username (the part of if that doesn't have a punky song lyric and/or pronoun preferences in those squiggly little brackets. It kinda changes a lot) states that I'm a Zombieslayer/Alienhunter.
I am.
Those are two huge aspects of my reading habits, my gaming habits and my life in general.
Some genius let me watch Independence Day when I was maybe six, and thanks to that I have sworn myself in as an individual who will never let the far-out-of-towners take over.
As for the zombieslayer thing...
May 23, 2015 Renee rated it did not like it
I would give this 0 stars if I could. Ths style of writing reminded me of that My Immortal fan fiction. Thanks for the laughs.
Sherri Smith
Oct 15, 2015 Sherri Smith rated it it was ok
I like the writing style & format but was disappointed in the plot. Welcome To the Dark House & its sequel were way better.
Tate Johnson
Mar 09, 2016 Tate Johnson rated it really liked it
I liked this book because it was very suspenseful for such a short book. There was a lot of action and the characters were very relatable. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to read a mystery book.
Sep 13, 2016 JJ rated it it was amazing
If I could pick any horror book this would be the one. The book gives so many chills throughout the whole story and actually makes you think and feel that you're really there. The main thing I really enjoy about the book is that it took place at the Danvers State Mental Hospital. Probably the scariest place you could ever visit in my opinion. Anyway, I really enjoyed the book overall and I recommend you guys to read this book.
Excellent YA thriller 2 15 Jan 18, 2016 03:17PM
thoughts on the book 3 26 Nov 18, 2014 11:02AM
Looking for a new book 2 7 Apr 02, 2014 05:07PM
  • 68 Knots
  • Discovering (Lily Dale #4)
  • Acceleration
  • My Father's Son
  • Killing Britney
  • The Hollow People (The Promises of Dr. Sigmundus, #1)
  • I Was a Teenage Popsicle
  • Delphine
  • The Death of Torberta Turchin
  • All Hallows' Eve: 13 Stories
  • Fatal Charm (The Seer, #5)
  • Greed (Seven Deadly Sins, #7)
  • Crazy Beautiful
  • Sleepless
  • Down a Dark Hall
  • Gothic!: Ten Original Dark Tales
  • The Christopher Killer (Forensic Mysteries, #1)
  • Play Me
Laurie Faria Stolarz grew up in Salem, MA, attended Merrimack College, and received an MFA in Creative Writing from Emerson College in Boston.

Laurie Faria Stolarz is an American author of young adult fiction novels, best known for her Blue is for Nightmares series. Her works, which feature teenage protagonists, blend elements found in mystery and romance novels.

Stolarz found sales success with he
More about Laurie Faria Stolarz...