Start by marking “How to Boil Water: Life Beyond Takeout (Food Network Kitchens)” as Want to Read:
How to Boil Water: Life Beyond Takeout (Food Network Kitchens)

How to Boil Water: Life Beyond Takeout (Food Network Kitchens)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  31 reviews
- Shows beginning cooks how to do just what the title implies--and a lot more--without a hint of intimidations.- Features classic comfort foods such as no-flip fried eggs and soul-soothing grilled cheese for one and bolder, ethnic recipes like Tacos Picadillo and Southeast Asian Beef Salad.

- Exquisite photography and Food Network recipes, both inspire and build the confide
Published August 1st 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about How to Boil Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Boil Water

Apr 17, 2012 karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: eats
four stars because the food network is my guiding angel, and i support any book or magazine they put out because they have always been inventive in their recipes, clear in their directions, and i love the photography in this, and all of their books.

but, it is a cookbook for beginners, so if you are practically a celebrity chef like me, a lot of the techniques and tips will be old news.

but - man - those pictures.

for example, i make an amazing lasagna. but the picture of the one in here still make
One day I demanded that Sean start cooking for me, so he set this book down in front of me and I was surprised by how AMAZING it was! Like, I wanna start cooking again! (You're welcome, Sean!) It goes over basic stuff that I actually care about and is interesting, but doesn't make me feel like an idiot. I loved that it had a lot of vegetarian options, but also showed you how you could meat-up the dishes. It even has a wine/beer section! Which is something that I enjoyed getting educated about. A ...more
got this as a christmas present (thanks sarah!). i've tried one of the recipes and managed to actually make decent chicken. i even made my first sauce from scratch!! the book assumes you know nothing and explains everything from how to hold a knife properly to where in your fridge to store various food items to where on the animal's body each cut of meat comes from. you know, the stuff i know nada about! it doesn't really give a whole lot of recipes, but it does a good job breaking down some bas ...more
Jan 09, 2013 Kat rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to learn how to cook
Recommended to Kat by: my sister :)
I love this book! Cooking was a mystery, and an intimidating one at that. This is the perfect book for someone who never learned the basics of cooking: Great recipes from scrambled eggs to Thanksgiving dinner, with step by step instructions that are incredibly easy to follow; lists of what items you'll need & how to stock your kitchen cabinets, pantry & fridge; tips on where and how to store items, how long things stay good, how to pick out decent produce....this book has been a lifesave ...more
Apr 29, 2007 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want to learn to cook
This book is really helpful for its tips, more than the recipes. None of the recipes looked particularly tantalizing, but it seems to be a good reference for how to cut vegetables and fruits, what parts of the meat you're eating, baking wisdom, etc. There are some pretty basic recipes (toast, pancakes, etc.) but also some more challenging ones (Thanksgiving). I wouldn't recommend this for someone who is already a good cook. In addition, I'd like to check out Alton Brown's I'm Just Here For the F ...more
I love this book. The photos,diagrams, and glossaries are both attractive and helpful. My mother gave me this book for Christmas in my first year to live alone, and I still go to it again and again for ideas (the cucumber-radish salad on the page with the salmon recipes is an impressive crowd-pleaser that really isn't difficult). It has forever changed the way I cut bell peppers, if nothing else. I can not recommend this book highly enough for beginning cooks.
This was the first cookbook I ever bought and actually used. I still use it frequently, although I consider myself no longer a novice chef. Its great for simple ideas and basic recipes. Most of them have ideas for "add ons" to make each recipe more interesting. It gives you basic information about the tools in your kitchen and how to choose good produce.

I would consider it a "must have" for anyone beginning to cook!
This is by far my favorite cooking book. I purchased it for my wife a year or two ago, and for me being someone completely clueless on what to do and when as far as cooking goes it is the perfect companion.

The diagrams breakdown the most basic of tasks in such a way that even a simpleton such as myself can follow the instructions with ease.
This is a fantastic book. Great for anyone just starting out but also a great read for anyone who wants to know why certain basic procedures should be done when preparing for cooking and searching for the perfect foods. How to Boil Water by Food Network Kitchens would make a great graduation or newlywed gift.
I don't know why I originally gave this cookbook four stars. I never even cooked anything out of it. I do remember that I liked all the information and the way it's presented. It's certainly an attractive book. Covers the basics, across the board. Recommend for absolute beginners.
Really I like it more for the instructional pictures on cutting and other techniques. Not all of the recipes appeal to me but the ones I have tried came out well. If you are like me and were never taught how to cook when you were younger, then this book is a perfect start!
i was given this book two summers ago and i sometime ilook inside and everything seems so brand new adn oh so yummy. I like this book. It make me feel healthy when really the menu is a little high in calories... but then again who's counting?... not me!
Mike Smith
Good, solid cook book. I liked all the tips on buying, handling, chopping, etc. They like adding salt to everything, which seems to be common to most cookbooks. I thought salt was out of vogue as an additive because it's in so much processed stuff already.
If you are a visual-oriented person who doesn't know how to boil eggs or cut veggies, this books is for you!
Great illustration! A little too single-person-with-lots-of-time-and-money, though. A little too much meat for me, also.
Great for beginners in the kitchen (as indicated by the title :P). Lots of pretty pictures but still meaty with good tips and content. A point-of-sale purchase that I'll actually use into the future!
This is a great book for novice chefs. It teaches knife skills as well as other fundamentals of cooking. The recipes are easy to make and well laid-out. This is a great first cookbook for someone.
Instructions on how to make microwave popcorn were nice... and I actually managed to successfully make it twice! 2/3 is not bad especially when you consider my track record.
This book features good tips for beginners and lots of pretty pictures, but the information is not organized well and a majority of recipes didn't appeal to me.
3.5 for me. But higher for people that have never cooked.
There are a few recipes I plan on trying. Curious how much flavor they have though.
This is a good book for a new cook. It helps explain what kitchen terms mean, from how to zest a lemon to how to pick a side of meat.
This would be a great book for beginning cooks (ie. college grads). I enjoyed it.
Perfect cook book for people who know very little about cooking, AKA myself!
Don't laugh! It's a very helpful book! And the recipies are nice and easy!
Amy Sjoquist
Didn't read all the recipes but jotted down a lot of notes on basics.
This is a great gift for a first time cook....Back to basics!
Essential for anyone who is pretty helpless in the kitchen.
Monshi P
This book is amazing and helped me get oriented around my kitchen.
Awesome. A keep-with-you-at-all-times kind of reference.
So that I might be able to avoid takeout.
Great food resource book!
  • Betty Crocker's Cooking Basics: Learning to Cook with Confidence
  • Top Chef the Cookbook
  • The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook: More than 150 Delicious Recipes Using Only Foods from the World’s Greatest Grocery Store
  • Martha Stewart's Dinner at Home: 52 Quick Meals to Cook for Family and Friends
  • How to Bake: Complete Guide to Perfect Cakes, Cookies, Pies, Tarts, Breads, Pizzas, Muffins,
  • Breakfast Comforts (Williams-Sonoma): With Enticing Recipes for the Morning, including Favorite Dishes from Restaurants Around the Country
  • The Frankies Spuntino Kitchen Companion & Cooking Manual
  • More Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: A Drop-Top Culinary Cruise Through America's Finest and Funkiest Joints
  • Saving Dinner: The Menus, Recipes, and Shopping Lists to Bring Your Family Back to the Table
  • Quick & Easy Chinese: 70 Everyday Recipes
  • The Book Club Cookbook
  • The Complete Cooking For Two Cookbook
  • Cooking
  • Lidia's Family Table
  • Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express: 404 Inspired Seasonal Dishes You Can Make in 20 Minutes or Less
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook
  • The Babbo Cookbook
  • Little Cakes from the Whimsical Bakehouse: Cupcakes, Small Cakes, Muffins, and Other Mini Treats
Food Network Favorites Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book  Best Bread Machine Recipes: For 1-1/2 and 2 Pound Loaves Cookies for Christmas Heritage of America Cookbook