Start by marking “I Am of Irelaunde: A Novel of Patrick and Osian” as Want to Read:
I Am of Irelaunde: A Novel of Patrick and Osian

I Am of Irelaunde: A Novel of Patrick and Osian

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  22 reviews
St. Patrick of Ireland has been enshrined in myth and history as a benign and beloved figure, a native Irish miracle worker who drove both the snakes and the Druids from his homeland and gently issued in the age of Christianity.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Magonus Succatus Patricius ("Paidrig") was of Roman heritage; captured into slavery in Ireland at the age
Published February 10th 2001 by Forge Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about I Am of Irelaunde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am of Irelaunde

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourtCircle of Friends by Maeve BinchyIn the Woods by Tana FrenchDaughter of the Forest by Juliet MarillierDubliners by James Joyce
Best Fiction Set in Ireland
64th out of 285 books — 234 voters
Outlander by Diana GabaldonDaughter of the Forest by Juliet MarillierGods of The Nowhere by James TipperDragonfly in Amber by Diana GabaldonVoyager by Diana Gabaldon
Great Celtic Fiction
65th out of 172 books — 308 voters

More lists with this book...

MSJLibrary
This novel presents, in alternating chapters, the story of St. Patrick’s ministry in 5th century Ireland and the storyteller Ossian’s tales of the fianna, ancient Celtic heroes who helped to stabilize and unite the island that became known as Ireland. Those who know St. Patrick only as the saint who drove the snakes from Ireland will be surprised to learn his background. When he was 14, Patrick was kidnapped from England and taken as a slave to Ireland. After six years of bondage, Patrick escape ...more
Kathleen
Account of St. Patrick and fables of Osian and Osian's father, Fion Mac Cumhail (Finn MacCool). Lots of Irish placenames and surnames: feis (fesh) celebration, fidnemid (fid nem eth)sacred grove, samhain (sow ain), Sidha (shee) The Other - also called Tuatha De Danaan - secretive hidden people who loved music and beauty. They were humorous and mischevious and never aged. Tir Nan Og (tee n'an og) place where thee is not sickness or death. Also called the western isle or blessed isle. Crom Cruach ...more
Michela
Non lo consiglio. Ho faticato davvero molto a finirlo, pur essendo una vera amante delle leggende celtiche e irlandesi. Ma qui diventa tutto troppo.
E chiaramente è scritto da una fervente cattolica.
Non ho la capacità di analizzare quanto scritto in maniera storica, ma ho avuto comunque la necessità di prendermi lunghissime pause tra un capitolo e un altro.
Insomma, alla fine non ce la si fa più con 'sto Padraig. Più che il santo patrono dell'Irlanda, qui appare come colui che ha distrutto le trad
Lori
Mar 23, 2014 Lori added it
DNF. Wanted to read for St. Patrick's Day but I couldnt get into it.
Kathi
9/10
A well told tale--or really, a compilation of well-told tales. Osian, son of Fionn Mac Cumhail, mysteriously arrives at the rough monastery of Padraig (St. Patrick), and through his compelling narrative of his father and the other Fenians, helps Padraig come to understand (and love) the people of Eire. A blending of early Christianity and late Druidism, full of Celtic flavors. It made me long to return to Ireland for a visit!
Amanda
Jan 28, 2013 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves history and Irish culture.
Recommended to Amanda by: Professor Juilene Osborne-McKnight
So far I have read up to page 75...and am loving every word! While some of the language is old school and there is some Irish vernacular used which can cause it to be a little difficult. However Professor McKnight did a fantastic job creating a glossary int he beginning so that helps with not only definitions but pronunciation as well.
Gina
This books has stuck with me since I first read it. I've read it several times since. I think the interweaving of Patrick's story with Osian's story is brilliantly done. There is so much to take away from this book, and the ending - literally, the very last line - is stunning. It will always be one of my favorites!
Megan
Took a break from this book early on, because I was enthralled with another series, but I very much enjoyed this piece of fiction. Very clever construction and use of legend within the narrative. Being a Catholic of Irish heritage,I thought it was a neat way to get hints of what could be my history.
Alison
I really liked the way that the story weaves the legends of old Ireland with tales of St. Patrick. It shows how old traditions and Christianity were intertwined. This is not a book for historical accuracy, but it is a great story that gives you the spirit of the place.
Jonelle
A story within a story: mix of Irish legend and tales embedded with the Christian legend/history of Patrick.

A good book to read if you're going to spend any time in Ireland--it captures a bit of the ancient history and the Irish love of story-telling.
Miranda
Reading some Irish literature to prep for our trip to Ireland. Really interesting mix of myth, folklore, and history about Saint Patrick and ancient Ireland.
Gio
A light and entertaining read where Irish culture and legends are intertwined with the history and legend of Saint Patrick. Loved it.
Kristy Lee
Good book. I reccomend this too anyone interested in Irish culture. Interesting insights into St. Patrick. Good rich story telling.
Kaia
Very interesting Saint Patrick book. The quality of the writing could have been better, but it was light, quick, and enjoyable!
Melanie
This is why I look book groups - I would not have picked this book but really enoyed it! Fun Irish tale!!
Nicole
Molly
A rich telling of the legends of Ireland... it sweeps you away.
John Hanscom
Abosuletly great, and I learned a little Old Irish.
Tracy Elliott sisson
Gentle, light, read. Well written.
Kat
love, love this book
Kathy Davie
It made me cry...
Abbie
Abbie marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Marilyn
Marilyn marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Amberle Husbands
Amberle Husbands marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Kathy Hoffman
Kathy Hoffman marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
  • Shannon
  • Testimony of an Irish Slave Girl
  • The Great Shame: And the Triumph of the Irish in the English-Speaking World
  • Patrick: Son of Ireland
  • Wars of the Irish Kings: A Thousand Years of Struggle, from the Age of Myth through the Reign of Queen Elizabeth I
Juilene Osborne-McKnight is a Professor of Celtic Studies and creative writing in the United States. She is the author of the Irish historical novels I am of Irelaunde, Daughter of Ireland, Bright Sword of Ireland and Song of Ireland (MacMillan for Kindle, Nook and i-Pad) and of the forthcoming Borealis Island. You can find out more about her novels at www.juileneosbornemcknight.com
More about Juilene Osborne-McKnight...
Daughter of Ireland Bright Sword of Ireland Song of Ireland