Start by marking “Dead Reckoning” as Want to Read:
Dead Reckoning

Dead Reckoning

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  342 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Assistant D.A. Kate Megason is about to prosecute the case of her career when someone starts sending her terrifying messages. Someone who obviously knows her deep, dark secret. Now, she needs the help of Frank Matrone--an investigator with his own shadowy past--or else Kate may have no chance of surviving a killer's brutal wrath.
Published December 6th 2005 by Berkley Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Reckoning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Reckoning

Saly
Jun 15, 2011 Saly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dead Reckoning by Linda Castillo was a good read. I enjoyed how the characters were all tortured.

Kate Megason is an assistant DA. She loves her job and is too dedicated to it. She works and works and people call her a ball-buster but she cares deeply hides it. As a 17 year old she and her twin were brutalized, with her sister ending up in a convalescent home and she with guilt and her life changed forever. So, justice matters to her, that is all she has. Her parents never got over what happened
Lloyd Liggett
Apr 17, 2016 Lloyd Liggett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A better than average mystery, but a "romance" mystery. It brings two hurting and traumatized people together while pursuing the answers to two mysteries; why a seemingly senseless crime was committed, and who was behind it's commission. While, to me, obviously written for a female audience, it was a good "stand alone" mystery story, and a good romance novel with a happy ending.
Darcy
Kate is a lawyer who was the victim of a brutal crime when she was a teen, Frank is the celebrated ex-cop/war hero, now investigator who lost his love in a bombing, together they clash during their meeting on Kate's first big death row case. As they are forced to spend more and more time together researching the case the start to get under each other's skins, every way they turn irritating the other, all the while the office has started a betting pool of when they will end up together. This is a ...more
Hubjeanne
Mar 24, 2016 Hubjeanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love her books and have been a fan for quite some time but, I must say, this is by far my favorite!!! Romance is included which I loved but it would have been 5 stars without it. Great read!!!!
Bevjirwin
thought this was a mystery-turned out to be a romance-lady in distress thriller-not my cup of tea
Jan
Entertaining mystery but predictable in its outcome.
Spitz
Jun 17, 2015 Spitz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, not-for-me
Gordon Howard
Jan 15, 2015 Gordon Howard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frank is a retired cop who receives an assignment working as an investigator for the Dallas DA's office. His boss is Kate, an Assistant District Attorney who has been given her first high profile murder case to prosecute. Both have tragic past experiences that seem destined to derail Kate's case.

A clash between Frank and Kate is inevitable when Kate's type 'A' personality meets head-on with Frank's inability to follow the rules and show up at work on time. In spite of Kate's concerns about his
Victoria Kator
Apr 05, 2016 Victoria Kator rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
more mystery and intense dark details than romance. loved this storyline and was anxiously awaiting the ending so i could breathe normally again :) however, sorta left you hanging in a couple smaller character details...
jenjn79
Jocelyn
Oct 28, 2014 Jocelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Fantastic!!:)I absolutely loved this book by Linda Castillo
Anna Balfour
A so so thriller. Not much to it.
Monica Mason
Sep 10, 2015 Monica Mason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very raw with tension and emotion with intrigue.
Sheila
May 09, 2013 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first standalone novel that I have read by Linda Castillo. The lead character is Kate who is an ADA who is getting ready to try a particularly brutal double homicide in a gas & go type store. Someone or ones absolutely don't want her to look too deep into the case. I will definitely read more books by her. She already had me won over with her Kate Burkholder series. 5 stars.
Jeri
Sep 04, 2013 Jeri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I read and enjoy Castillo's current series and thought her backlist looked interesting. This was a good quick read. Heroine tortured with guilt over something that happened when she was 17. Hero badly injured in Israel. Can these two wounded souls find happiness with each other? Umm. It's a book right?
Ellen Mennenga
Feb 01, 2015 Ellen Mennenga rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great thriller by Linda Castillo!
Naomi
Feb 09, 2011 Naomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of Linda Castillo's Kate Burkholder series and stepped out to read this book by her. I enjoyed it alot. It is a great mystery with very light on the romance, which is perfect for me. I plan to learily check out some of her other suspence novels and hope they are the same.
Naomi
Oct 09, 2010 Naomi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An assistant district attorney hides a secret from her peers. Until a case she is trying concerning the death of 2 women in a convenience store brings it to light. Castillo writes a good plot once again but sometimes overdoes the rehash of information. Still an entertaining novel.
Rhonda
Jan 22, 2011 Rhonda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This may have been my favorite of Linda Castillo's books I have read. It may just be that I was kind of tired of the detective type plot and wanted more romance. This book had some pretty erotic scenes in it to go along with the detective theme.
Lori
Nov 29, 2011 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The storyline was very readable and believable. It moved along rather smoothly so it made it hard to put down. It's a very intense storyline and the growing relationship between the characters is yummy.
Shirley
May 27, 2012 Shirley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Will not be reading any more of Linda Castillo, except her Amish series. Others plot not bad, but she is definitely a romance author, which I had not realized.
Cheryl Karkoff
Good fast reading book. Really like this author. Assistant D A working on a solid case of rape and murder encounters trouble when her past is brought up.
Donna
Aug 22, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I just finished this book by Linda Castillo. It was a good book, however, I did enjoy her series
she wrote on the amish killings better.
Jessica
Mar 12, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually enjoyed this book and it kept my interest. I'm gonna have to read more of Linda's soon books.
Jewett
Dec 16, 2013 Jewett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like some of Castillo's books. This is one I really enjoyed. They are violent but worth reading.
Leona
Sep 29, 2008 Leona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good reading even though a little predictable story line. Writing kept my intrest.
Anne OK
Sep 15, 2009 Anne OK rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Note: This is the book I asked for help in finding on allaboutromance.com.
LInda L
Mar 05, 2016 LInda L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery -- if you like the genre, read this one.
Heather Cardinale
Eh, pretty predictable, but what did I expect?
  • Hallowed Ground (PI Julie Collins, #2)
  • No Escape
  • Shattered Sky
  • Body Parts (Tally Whyte, #1)
  • Broken Pieces
  • Night After Night
  • Trust in Me (Protector, #2)
  • The First Mistake (Cleo North #1)
  • Outcast (Benedict Brothers, #1)
  • Edge of Survival
  • Repo (The Henchmen MC, #4)
  • Seeking Vengeance
  • Dead Before Dark
  • Darker than Midnight (Mordecai Young #3)
  • Traceless (Less Series, #1)
  • Scent of Danger
  • Murder in Plain Sight (Amish Suspense, #1)
  • Beneath the Moon and the Stars
Linda Castillo is the New York Times bestselling author of the Kate Burkholder series, including Sworn to Silence and Gone Missing, crime thrillers set in Amish country. Sworn to Silence was recently adapted into a Lifetime original movie titled An Amish Murder starring Neve Campbell as Kate Burkholder.

Castillo is the recipient of numerous industry awards, including the Daphne du Maurier Award of
More about Linda Castillo...