Start by marking “The Dragon and the Turtle Go on Safari” as Want to Read:
The Dragon and the Turtle Go on Safari

The Dragon and the Turtle Go on Safari (The Dragon and the Turtle #2)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  27 reviews
“Padraig, my friend, it is time for us to be courageous.”

Padraig the dragon and his best friend, Roger the turtle are determined to spend the whole night outside. As brave explorers at the base of Mount Sillymanborrow, the boys use their imaginations to have fun while munching on crunchy baked bugs and toasting s’mores over their campfire. But when the sky gets dark and t
Published January 11th 2011 by WaterBrook Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon and the Turtle Go on Safari, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon and the Turtle Go on Safari

Nora St Laurent
I’ve enjoyed reading other books by Donita K. Paul that have a youth audience, so when an opportunity came about to receive a review copy of this delightfully colorful picture book, I signed up.

I adore the beautifully illustrated pictures by Vincent Nguyen in this book. The story is about two boys deciding to go on an all night safari. It’s a great idea until it starts to get dark. The outdoors sure does look and sound different at night. The boys’ imaginations run wild as they try to determine
Margaret
A very cute little children's book to add to our shelve with other favorites like Lisa Tawn Bergren and Liz Curtis Higgs. It is awesome to be able to have great books to share good messages with my children.

***Special thanks to Staci Carmichael, Marketing and Publicity Coordinator, Doubleday Religion / Waterbrook Multnomah / Divisions of Random House, Inc. for sending me a review copy.***

Julie
Jan 10, 2011 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Julie by: Staci Carmichael
Review can be seen at My Own Little Corner of the World

Many thanks to Staci Carmichael and Waterbrook Press for the review copy of the book.

To purchase this book, please visit
Angela
The Dragon and the Turtle Go on Safari is a very cute book. I absolutely love the illustrations. Roger and Pedraig are very fun characters. Although they both get scared during the night, they are able to get past their fears because they are together. This is a great lesson for kids. There are lots of potential topics for discussion in the book as well. The very last page of the book includes a Bible verse and some talking points that can be used with children.

One thing that I did find confusin
Lenore Webb
I do already have two books to put up for my 'lil Turtle' to come. The first will be so apt as it is The Dragon and the Turtle Go on Safari. I can't wait to read to my newest grandbabe as I do my current ones. And to share the many books to come. In The Dragon and the Turtle Go on Safari we are going to learn about how friendships work. Working together while on an adventure. And more so that we are never alone. I love the bible verse in the back of the book.

Be strong and courageous. Do not be a
Mymcbooks
December 8th 2010, I wrote a review on The Dragon and the Turtle. I felt the story about Padraig the Dragon looking for Roger the Turtle’s house went on for too long. So this time around I decided to review The Dragon and the Turtle Go on Safari hoping it changes my view on the way the Authors writes.

The Dragon and the Turtle Go on Safari by Donita K. Paul and Evangeline Denmark, illustrated by Vincent Nguyen is a story about two best friends determined to spend the whole night outside at the ba
Maureen Timerman
This book kept the attention of my 3 and 5 year olds. They were chuckling with the dialogue and antics. The books has some good messages..."Proper adventurer's always say please". The graphics in this book are almost like paintings, which I loved! We again discussed the book at breakfast and the kids were both telling what they liked. All in all it is a nice Children's book that will be read again!

Product Description
“Padraig, my friend, it is time for us to be courageous.”

Padraig the dragon and
Elizabeth (etandksmom on TM's)
I decided to go with a childrens book this time around. The Dragon and the Turtle Go on Safari was a cute little story. My children each took a turn reading. The oldest 12 said,"It was pretty good." The next who is 10 said, "It was funny." And then my husband read it to the 7 year old just before bedtime. On her way to bed she said, "Oh and the book was good."

My husband on the other hand did not enjoy it. He said he felt that there were long stretches of dialogue and the story didn't seem to go
Bobbi
The Dragon and the Turtle Go On Safari was a nicely illustrated story about two friends. They attempt to camp out at the base of Mount "Sillymanborrow"...and although they take turns being scared of noises in the night, they do make it until morning.

This story was pretty long...my kids (3 & 5) had a hard time making it through it. The dragon's name is Padraig...a very hard name to read...I found myself repeatedly wishing it was as simple as the turtle's name, Roger. I actually looked it up..
Casey
I loved the cover of this little hard back book and thought my brother and I might enjoy the chance to review a book together. The illustrations are cute and filled with bright colors and I think the age appropriateness for the book was good for his age (7) and younger. The short story in the back of the book was especially enjoyable. I thought the idea of a question and answer guide in the back was a good idea for kids and parents (or siblings) to go over together. It makes them more aware and ...more
Karissa
I got a copy of this book through Librarything's Early Reviewer program. I have a four year old son who adores dragons and was really looking forward to reading this book with him. The strong point of this book are the wonderful illustrations. The story is decent too and teaches some good lessons.

Padraig (the dragon) and Roger (the turtle) are determined to camp out all night on a pretend safari. The problem is they keep encountering and hearing dangerous wild animals, for example baby cougars (
Chrissy

This was a very cute book and story. My youngest just loved the beautiful illustrated pictures and animals that appeared in the book she especially liked the dragon. She had her sister read the book to her several times and each time she stayed focused on the beautiful pictures.

There were lots of animals in this book that you would find in Africa and my youngest had lots of what's that? questions for big sister. As they read on the dragon and the turtle encountered some really neat animals like
Melissa Roach
Mar 25, 2011 Melissa Roach rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ages 4 and up
My Detailed Description:

Padraig and Roger have decided that they want to camp out ALL night long at the base of Mount Sillymanborrow. At first they have fun, eating tasty, crunchy bugs and making s'mores. However, the fun starts to go away when it begins to get dark and the noises of the wild start to ruin their evening. The boys begin to believe that the sounds they are hearing are animals in the wild, such as rhinos, elephants and monkeys, while in reality they were common animals you might fi
logankstewart
The Dragon and the Turtle Go on Safari is a cute kids book about a turtle named Roger and a dragon named Padraig. The two decide to spend an entire night out camping, beneath the stars and alone all by themselves. While out, the familiar spooks and noises born from childhood imagination appear, and Roger and Padraig struggle to endure the long night.

One thing I thought funny (and somewhat bizarre) was the high, Old English language the two buddies used to speak to one another. "I say my good man
Amanda
My kids and I all enjoyed this book. I thought it was a cute, funny story. I liked that the authors didn’t let the message get in the way of the story. The last page has a Bible verse: “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid…. God goes with you; he will never leave you.” Deuteronomy 31:6. However, the book is not preachy and is really just a cute story. The “boys” are camped at the base of Mount Sillymanborrow and every noise they hear is an exotic animal. As a bonus, at the end of the story ...more
Tará O'Sullivan
I would say that this book is geared towards the ages 4-8 group. If you're a fan of the first Dragon/Turtle book, you'll absolutely love this one.[return][return]Fantastic themes, great illustrations and a wonderful tale based around the friendship of the little dragon and the turtle. To comment on someone else's review, this is not a Dora the Explorer book. It's a little more mature in its writing, taking its cues from many other fairytale/hero cycle stories that have been passed down over gene ...more
Cait
THE DRAGON AND THE TURTLE GO ON SAFARI is a cute picture book with well-stated but subtle morals behind it. I really loved the illustrations of the book, they brought the characters of Padraig and Roger to life. The ideas of being brave, helping others and caring for others are wonderful lessons for a child to learn, and they are woven seamlessly throughout the story.

However, I kept being distracted by not knowing how to pronounce Padraig's name (google tells me it is pronounced PAW-rig) and by
Susan (The Book Bag)
I love a good children's book, especially one with good illustrations. Good illustrations, along with a good story, keep a child's attention when being read to or when reading a book on their own. This book has both!

This book is a story about a turtle and a dragon who want to sleep outside all night - what kid doesn't want to do that? Well, their imaginations go a little wild and they hear strange creatures roaming around in their backyard. The illustrations of these strange creatures make the
Alice
The best part of this book is "Mount Sillymanborrow" The pictures are cute and good story about courage--but it was a little long but over all worth reading!

You should also be impressed that I know how to Pronounce "Padraig" it is actually "POOR RIG" and thanks to Bally kiss Angel for providing that knowledge.
Sunflower
The kids enjoy to read, but with "The Dragon and the Turtle", not only is it filled with beautiful illustrations that keep even the youngest of kids entranced, but the message that is part of the story as a whole, encourages and teaches children about courage.

Be it, being afraid of the dark, or maybe making new friends, there is something, all kids can gain as they follow the story of, Padraig the dragon and his best friend, Roger the turtle.

The short study guide in the back, helps parents engag
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
The Dragon and the Turtle go on Safari is a splendid book that I believe children will adore. I thought the way Padraig grew a little nervous during the night, and Roger calming him, was quite brave. The friends bonded with each other, and I liked the way their adventure was a learning point, especially for Padraig as he learned much about the animals and their sounds. Ms. Paul and Ms. Denmark create a lively story sure to please while demonstrating friendship, caring, compassion, and the import ...more
Janna
What an incredibly clever, fun book! I love Donita Paul's dragon books and I see this as a delightful way to introduce younger children to her dragon characters. The imagination that is used in this book is wonderful. As Roger and Padraig are on their camping trip, everytime they hear a sound we see a picture of what caused the sound (owl) and then Padraig says what he thinks caused the sound (howler monkey) and then it shows a picture of a cross between the two (owl and howler monkey). I found ...more
Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
This is a beautifully illustrated book about two friends, Roger the turtle and Padraig the Dragon, who decide to spend a night camping at Mount Sillymanborrow. During the night they encounter some scary situations. Because of their friendship, they are able to overcome their fears and help each other
make it to morning.

The Legend of Mount Sillmanborrow is included at the end, as Roger never did get a chance to tell it to Padraig. Also included are some great questions that you can pose to your
Andi Newberry ~Tubbs
Turtle and Dragon are going to camp outside all night long, and during the night they hear noises, with each new noise Padrig the dragon, did not want to close his eyes and go to sleep. His friend, Roger would tell him what each sound was. This was a great book about friendship and being there for each other. The pictures are big, colorful, and vivid. The back of the book has ideas that a parent or grandparent could use with a child for conversation starters. I highly recommend this book!
Sam
It has cute drawings and I like the camping out story. It was a little long, and I "lost" a few of the kids at the Pre-K, especially the younger ones. However, the very Irish dragon was a fun find, and that amused me, at least, LOL.

For full review, see
Victoria Lee
The story was enjoyable and had a point to relate to children. I found the pictures entertaining and liked how the reality of what was hiding in the dark was morphed into what Padraig and Roger believed was out there.
Kansas
Dec 26, 2011 Kansas added it
Shelves: friendship
ddb
Cynthia Scaife
Cynthia Scaife marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I am an author of Christian Fantasy. My first 7 books were Christian Romance, but I came over to the Dark Side when I heard there were cookies.
More about Donita K. Paul...
DragonSpell (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #1) DragonQuest (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #2) DragonKnight (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #3) DragonFire (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #4) DragonLight (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #5)