Start by marking “Zorgamazoo” as Want to Read:

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,268 ratings  ·  353 reviews
Are You a Believer in Fanciful Things? In Pirates and Dragons and Creatures and Kings? Then sit yourself down in a comfortable seat, with maybe some cocoa and something to eat, and I'll spin you the tale of Katrina Katrell, a girl full of courage (and daring, as well!), who down in the subway, under the ground, saw something fantastical roaming around . . .

What was it she
Published October 16th 2008 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about Zorgamazoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zorgamazoo

Robert Paul Weston's "Zorgamazoo"
is poetry, page-turner and lots of fun too

This is a book that you must read aloud
whether by yourself or amongst a small crowd

You'll love all the characters and the plot is surreal
(Coming up with these rhymes is no easy deal)

I can only imagine the pains Weston took,
to be sure that this wasn't just any old book.

What an adventure! It's funny! It's swell!
With Morty the Zorgle and Katrina Katrell.

What's a Zorgle, you ask and where's Zorgamazoo?
I want you to read it, I
Monica Edinger
This is one of the more unique books I've read in the last year. Zorgamazoo is done completely in verse, Dr.Seuss/Roald Dahl-sort-of-verse. All of it. All 281 pages of it. Terrific verse, mind you. Versifier Robert Paul Weston manages to beautifully sustain a voice, a tone, a style, and a beat throughout. Given that he is also telling a story --- building a setting, atmosphere, developing characters, and moving a plot along --- it is really quite impressive. The story is fantasy, macabre, silly ...more
I read this book for the reading group I lead in my youngest's class. Love, love, love this book! It's like a Dr. Seuss book for big kids. The entire story is in prose. I also checked out the audiobook and it's read by Alan Cumming in his native accent--awesome!
Kris Patrick
Feb 24, 2015 Kris Patrick marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
At the risk of sounding blasphemous, I don't particularly enjoy reading aloud Dr. Seuss. Silently I'm thinking, omg!, when will this be over? Now imagine reading a 282 page book with the zany rhyming cadence of Dr. Seuss. I couldn't take it anymore.
I actually read this book out loud to my boys, and they actually listened. I loved the Dr. Seuss style that it was writen in.
Very cute!
Delightful. (And a great aid when you're translating a children's book. ;)

It has its darker passages, too--definitely not young children territory. Consider:

In his hand were the blades of his wicked device,
especially made to puncture and slice.
In the lamplight it flashed with a sinister gleam,
like the teeth of a beast in a hideous dream.

He raised up his Mincer, holding it high.
“I shall enter,” he said, “just here, by your eye.
So don’t move a muscle, or you may feel some pain,
because now, m
The zorgles of Zorgamazoo are missing and it is up to Katrina Katrell and Morty, a zorgle himself, to save them! The good guys in this book are imagination and wonder and the bad guys aren’t scary creatures but rather humans that have forgotten about the how to use their imaginations. Katrina Katrell and Morty travel to the planet Graybalon-Four, where more creatures than they could have ever imagined, were being held captive by the Graylians. Readers are left with a sense of awe and a true happ ...more
Mother/Daughter Book Club selection for February 2010. Sam & I are NOT enjoying this book! It is way too graphic and violent for a kids book. Even though most of the violence ends up being imaginary, the images are still very real and scary. I am not impressed! ... The ending turned out okay, and the moral was good. But overall not a book that I would choose or recommend, especially for kids!
Justyn Rampa
The sad truth is that there are years of my life that did not have Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Weston in them.

The silver lining is that Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Weston is part of my life now!

This was a recommendation that came from a co-worker because she felt it seemed like my kind of book. I was intrigued by her description. Later I went on to Amazon because they had a preview of the book and I read it out loud to my wife, who was just as intrigued as I was!

From just reading the preview, I cou
Ana Calabresi
I just finished reading this book and it's AMAZING! This is one of those books you just can't stop reading. The writing is delightful, beautifully and incredibly written in rhymes from page 1 to page 282. Each chapter is full of adventure, you're always on the edge of your seat. It has the perfect mixture of fantasy, surprise and excitement you need in a children's book.
Fantasy verse novel--Reminds me of Dr. Seuss and actually is the best verse novel I have ever read. It is an adventure story about a girl named Katrina and a zorgle named Mortimer who are looking for zorgamazoo. I love how the font, type face changed plus the illustrations are fabulous. Awesome book that I know kids would enjoy. Very easy read too.
A fun adventure, written entirely in verse. Reminiscent of Shel Silverstein and complete with monsters, bad guys, good guys, danger, and, of course, a happy ending. An enjoyable romp.
VERY entertaining! It was whimsical and dark and a real page-turner.
My first impression was—Tim Burton Meets Dr. Seuss! Cool and clever. It was a touch of dark, a touch of heart, a touch of bizarre, and a touch of nonsense. I was fully impressed by Robert’s MAD rhyming skills. Either he is a natural at it or he worked exhaustingly hard. I found it invigorating and addictive. I have to admit, I could not stop rhyming afterwards, in my head and outloud. The font changed in size, style, and the layout which complimented the story as well. Overall It was impeccable, ...more
Emmeline Guest

This book is hands-down the GREATEST read-out-loud book on the planet!
I knew, as soon as I read the first sentence, I was in for a treat. I mean really, can you go wrong with a book that begins:

“Here is story that is stranger than strange. Before we begin you may want to arrange:
A blanket,
A cushion ,
A comfortable seat,
And maybe some cocoa and something to it.”

Robert Paul Weston creates a story (no ... a world!) entirely in rhyme. But, this is not one of those books that makes awkward rhy
Encore, Encore. This tale told in rhyming couplets just screams to be read aloud. And thanks to amazing narration by Alan Cumming, I could do just that because the brilliant Cumming had a fun, imaginative, hilarious story to work with.

Here is a story that’s stranger than strange.
Before we begin you may want to arrange:

a blanket,
a cushion,
a comfortable seat,
and maybe some cocoa and something to eat.

I’ll warn you, of course, before we commence,
my story is eerie and full of suspense,
brimming with
Very enjoyable book I picked up from the Juv dept at our library, because the cover caught my eye -- and the title starts with Z!!

Katrina Katrell, a child with a very active imagination, runs away from her guardian and a surgeon who are both convinced that Katrina needs a lobotomy in order to make her behave. When she escapes from Krabby and Dr. LeFang, she realizes that she has nowhere to go -- until she is befriended by Morty the Zorgle, who has reluctantly taken on a mission: to find out what
Fantastically unique and creative, the experience of reading this book was every bit as delightful as the story and characters themselves.

Written entirely in verse (if Dr. Seuss were to write a novel-length chapter book (with the addition of a few Lemony-Snicket-like macabre elements) this would be it!) with font size, type, and direction changes sprinkled throughout, this felt unlike any other book I've read before.

So much fun!

I keep hearing that this should be read aloud. I'd like to add to th
Mommy is using this as a "read-aloud" reward for good behavior. "It says on the sticker right on the cover that this book won READ-ALOUD awards and, thus, is best if parents read aloud to kids." :) After all, would you really want to know what happens to Katrina Katrell when the lobotomy doctor finally catches up with her when you're reading by yourself under the covers in the middle of the night?!?! No? Didn't think so... Do your homework and maybe we'll have time for one more chapter before be ...more
Jun 16, 2011 Eliza rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a bit of nonsense & doesn't take life too seriously
An amazing book overall! The best part? The entire book rhymes! From cover to cover it’s a rhyming frenzy!

This is a great book for anyone who likes a bit of nonsense. It was written for children and young teens but it is a great read for everyone! Either way, this book is a fabulous book for all ages.

It is 283 pages and 20 chapters chalked full of amazing! Personally, it only took me about 4 hours to read but it’s perfect for someone looking for a book to just sit back and relax. This book is
Zorgamazoo is a unique and special find
Truly this book is one of a kind
It is 280 pages of beautiful rhyme
It really is worth all of your time.

This story's about a girl named Katrina Katrell
and Mortimer the Zorgle has a good tale to tell
They save the world from dastardly schemes
And nothing can stop this wonderful team.

The characters are cool
The plot is a jewel.
It's also a quick read
What else do you need?

(I wanted to try to rhyme this entire review but this is a lot harder than the author made it s
This whole novel is told entirely in rhyme (think Dr. Seuss style).

We listened to this as an audiobook narrated by the fabulous Alan Cumming.
The 5sters loved this one - and the other kids I know who have read it all loved it too.
This is also one of my 3rd/4th gr teacher's favorite read alouds. So I really wanted to finally read it.

For me though, there were a few times listening to it in the car where I felt a physical reaction to the continual rhyming like I wanted to get off the "spinny ride".
If you’re searching to find a cleverly book,
then Zorgamzoo deserves a really good look.
It has ogres and pixies and fantastical creatures,
With horns on their heads and other such features.
Katrina Katrell, an imaginative girl,
has fled from Mrs. Krabone in a really big whirl.
She meets up with Mortimer, a zorgel for sure,
His last name is Yorgel out on an adventure quite pure.
He is hunting lost Zorgels who were gone in the night,
With Winnie the beast who is a terrible sight.
The Zorgels have been capt
A friend recommended this book to me. A novel-length geared towards a younger audience, told entirely in rhyme. I began reading it with my youngest son (at the start he was 13, now he's 14) many months ago. We worked through it in fits and starts -- not because the story wasn't any good, just because other things got in the way.

This story is a remarkable achievement. The creation of another world, memorable characters, and the whole thing told in rhyme. Whenever I read from the story to my son,
the author actually came to my school a few years ago when he was nominated for the silverbirch award and talked about what inspired him and the process of writing the book. being fifth graders, he kept our attention really well and we found it really interesting. he told us he always loved dr suess books and hated how they had endings, so he wanted to write a book which didn't end as fast (i think, but my memory is a bit fuzzy, since it was 4-5 years ago) he also told us about the llustrations ...more
Stefanie Carlson cole
My students love this novel in poetry and I can't keep it on the shelf. Even reluctant readers like it. I tell them the sing song of the poetry might get into their head and annoy them, but they argue with me every time. Great characters, names and plot. So well-written. A hit at our school!
This is a really cute middle grade novel. It is written in verse and contains wacky, imaginary creatures. I have actually read another one of Weston’s books, The Creature Department, and I loved that book also. I loved the typography through out the book because it related to the context of the book. For instance, If something was scary the letters were big and bold. I also loved the concept of the story, it is too easy to give it away though so I can’t explain it. I really appreciated the chara ...more
Kathie Jackson
Imagine Roald Dahl meets Limony Snicket meets J.K. Rowling, now put it in verse. Reminds me a lot of "Fortunately, the Milk" in a good way. Funny and full of adventure and 50 cent words, this is a stupendous read aloud for grades 3+. Get it now!
Just read the book I promise you'll love it
Karly Winters
So I have mixed feelings on this book. It's long and is one extremely lengthy poem, in fact it is novel sized, but there is definitely an appreciation for what the author tried to do. I didn't read all of it. I only got through the first fifty pages before I finished it up with looking at different sources for a summary of the book, but basically, this is the story about a girl with an imagination that has her aunt so worried that she calls in a doctor to do a sketchy lobotomy, but she runs away ...more
  • Emmaline and the Bunny
  • Ringside, 1925: Views from the Scopes Trial
  • Gone Fishing: A Novel in Verse
  • Rickshaw Girl
  • The Templeton Twins Have an Idea (Templeton Twins, #1)
  • Diamond Willow
  • Rutherford B., Who Was He?: Poems About Our Presidents
  • Hugo Pepper (Far-Flung Adventures, #3)
  • Lulu's Mysterious Mission
  • The Frogs and Toads All Sang
  • The Bill Martin Jr Big Book of Poetry
  • Gustav Gloom and the People Taker (Gustav Gloom, #1)
  • Owly, Vol. 4:  A Time to Be Brave
  • A Poke in the I: A Collection of Concrete Poems
  • Two Crafty Criminals!: and how they were Captured by the Daring Detectives of the New Cut Gang
  • Keeping the Night Watch
  • The Story of Frog Belly Rat Bone
  • Where I Live
Ahoy. This is my small, oddly-shaped island in the GoodReads archipelago. You're welcome to surf, swim in the lagoon, or stroll along the pier (where they sell prawns and whelks by the cupful). If you'd like to keep things topical—as well as tropical—head down to the beach and sling yourself in a hammock with a good book. One of these, perhaps...

My first novel, ZORGAMAZOO, won the 2011 California
More about Robert Paul Weston...

“Here is a story that’s stranger than strange.
Before we begin you may want to arrange:
a blanket, a cushion, a comfortable seat,
and maybe some cocoa and something to eat.

I’ll warn you, of course, before we commence,
my story is eerie and full of suspense,
brimming with danger and narrow escapes,
and creatures of many remarkable shapes.

Dragons and ogres and gorgons and more,
and creatures you’ve not even heard of before.
And faraway places? There’s plenty of those!
(And menacing villains to tingle your toes.)

So ready your mettle and steady your heart.
It’s time for my story’s mysterious start...”
“Katrina,” he said, his mouth going dry.
“I’m feeling like Winnie. I’m ready to cry.”
He slid down his bars to the mesh of the floor,
feeling even more gloomy than ever before.
Katrina went over to offer some cheer,
to say something kind into Mortimer’s ear.
But what could she say? What could she do
for a friend who felt so inconsolably blue?

So gently, she rested her hand on his head.
Because sometimes our words…

… are best left unsaid.”