Eloquent JavaScript: A Modern Introduction to Programming

Eloquent JavaScript: A Modern Introduction to Programming

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  296 ratings  ·  32 reviews
"A concise and balanced mix of principles and pragmatics. I loved the tutorial-style game-like program development. This book rekindled my earliest joys of programming. Plus, JavaScript!" —Brendan Eich, creator of JavaScript

JavaScript is the language of the Web, and it's at the heart of every modern website from the lowliest personal blog to the mighty Google Apps. Though...more
Published February 3rd 2011 by No Starch Press (first published November 15th 2010)

JavaScript by Douglas CrockfordHigh Performance JavaScript by Nicholas C. ZakasEloquent JavaScript by Marijn HaverbekeJavaScript Patterns by Stoyan StefanovJavaScript by David Flanagan
Best JavaScript Books
3rd out of 27 books — 41 voters
The  C Programming Language by Brian W. KernighanThe Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew HuntDesign Patterns by Erich GammaRefactoring by Martin FowlerStructure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Harold Abelson
Essential Programming Books
77th out of 106 books — 218 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael
First things first, I did not read the print version of this book - which is due in January 2011 - but the freely available online version (http://eloquentjavascript.net/). From what I can tell the print version will miss the chapter on searching, which is quite a shame, because it's rather interesting. On the upside I'd assume that the last few chapters (web programming, DOM, AJAX etc.) have seen quit a bit of an overhaul, they are slightly dated in the online version.

Regarding the actual text,...more
Tamara Temple
This may not be the Javascript book you are looking for. If you plan on writing a JavaScript library at some point, it may be useful? But I found it rather too mundane. Learning the JavaScript "object" model can definitely be useful, and the author's approach to functional programming concepts might be okay, it still gave me nothing of much use in the end.

Taking the full title, it does provide some fairly decent foundational information on how to program, but it fully misses the boat when it com...more
Khuram Malik
I have read very few programming books, so i guess this isnt saying much but of all of them, i've loved the style of this the best so far.

No matrix like "I know kung-fu" moments, but i think thats more because i havent put enough effort in to understanding, but its well thought out book thats well involved and definitely arms you appropriately.

Definitely gets my recommendation
Kirill
Variables are tentacles, not boxes, they do not contain values, they grasp them. The best explanation of variables ever!! There are also a couple of strange things in the book. Like advice to use exceptions for flow control. But all in all a very nice intro into JavaScript and basic programming principles.
Trevan Hetzel
Eloquent JavaScript is definitely staying in my bookmarks bar. I've read a few JS books in the past and, whether it was my utter lack of comprehension of JS or the poor presentation of the content, I didn't get much out of them. But Haverbeke's book really struck a chord with my growing interest in client-side programming. It's presented in such a way that beginners can get an understanding of JavaScript and learn by example (there are hundreds of code examples; in fact the whole book is based o...more
Tami
I was first introduced to JavaScript while building one of my websites. Knowing absolutely nothing, I essentially learned through trial by fire. I did a lot of copying and pasting of bits of code that I found on the Internet. Then, when something didn’t work properly I would just experiment until I solved the problem. Still, there always seemed to be some sort of unexpected results, mostly because I didn’t understand the complexities of the code.

I really could have used a good basic introductio...more
Jean-Luc
Derek Sivers, creator of CD Baby, documented his quest to learn JavaScript. This book, his recommended first step, is helpfully available online for free. Either way you read, online or dead tree, you can use the handy online editor to test your code. Yes, most books come w/ downloadable source code, but rarely is it this smooth or easy to use.

Haverbeke teaches that JavaScript doesn't have to be a mystery or a shitshow as is the ingrained assumption for too many programmers. In fact, this book w...more
Stacey Mason
God is in the details, and the details of how the user experiences this text bring this book from a great beginner's guide to the formally best ebook I've read. With mouse-over definitions, interactive code examples, and relatable prose, Eloquent JavaScript isn't just a model for what all programming books should be; it's (formally) a model for what all ebooks should be.

That said, though the book is designed for beginners, I can't speak to how well it imparts the basic principles of programming...more
Nico
I'm sure those fancy JS wranglers out there will get a lot out of this book, but if you're a coding newbie, look elsewhere for your intro, far far elsewhere. I made the mistake of thinking I'd use this book to help supplement my learning of JS. And what a mistake. It gave no practical help whatsoever.

The dude's a fine writer, I'll give him that, and obviously a gifted coder, but his book wasn't written for the novice. This is not his intention with this book and if you're approaching it that wa...more
Rick Strong
Jan 29, 2013 Rick Strong rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: people who would like an entertaining intro to JavaScript
Informative and entertaining. This is a fairly comprehensive intro/overview of JavaScript. It's well-written, touches on a good deal of material considering its limited size/scope, gives quite a few examples to work with if you are at all ambitious, and the author has an excellent sense of humor. I'm not sure how easy a read this would have been were I not already a Java developer, but then JavaScript is actually quite a bit different from Java once you get beyond basic syntax, so I'd recommend...more
Randall
This book brought me back to JavaScript before there were any frameworks like jQuery. It made me realize that I had fallen victim to treating the language as a sub-species joining others who complained it was a bastard child language as they bastardized it. Technically I am still reading this because I will always be reading this. The explanations and examples about function based scope and how to use it still blow my mind. The author shows us how powerful JavaScript truly is and I use ideas and...more
Marina
Great book, very clear
Tony
Are you learning JavaScript? Are you already using it but wanting to "level up?" This is your book.

Start with "JavaScript: the Good Parts." That will get you beyond absolute beginner status. This will put you solidly into intermediate range, if not the lower part of the advanced range. Still trying to find the book(s) which will put me into "master" range, but this book is probably I rite of passage for anyone who wants to get there.
وليد تاج الدين
الكتاب جيد، يحتوى على العديد من المفاهيم النافعة برمجيا بشكل عام.
توجد نسخة مجانية منه على الرابط التالى:
Mark
Nice, concise, _eloquent_ guide to JavaScript. Covers the basics of the language and gets your feet wet for using JavaScript in the browser. If you're looking for lots of depth and details, you won't find it here. Yet as an experienced programmer but new to web programming, I found this book to be just the right size to be edible without being tedious.
James Affleck
I like this book. It's a bit slow but seems to have a good mix of teaching principles, giving examples, and asking you to try things out. This book is available for free online, and you can actually try the programming examples inside the web browser at the bottom of the screen. Great way to learn JS.
Jon
A great introduction to JavaScript programming with exercises to get yourself challenged rather than just passive reading. He also has his new edition that should be done this year on his website too. Definitely worth a read.
Ajitabh Pandey
This book merely covers the theoretical background of the language. I was expecting it to also show concepts through working examples. Nevertheless, a good read and refresher to the basic concepts if you are already familiar with the language.
Murmel
Extrem unterhaltsam und lehrreich. Das beste Softwarebuch, dass ich bis jetzt gelesen habe.
Ahmed Alkatheeri
I like the first chapter that describes how to program for beginners, and it simplifies the explanation of Javascript generally. One thing I don't like it about this book is examples which are complex sometimes.
Trey Piepmeier
Apr 27, 2012 Trey Piepmeier marked it as abandoned
Kind of fell off reading this. I'll have to skim back through it at some point, but it's really hard to read a technical book cover to cover. Seems like it has a lot of good stuff in it, though.
Rc
1. When defining functions, timeline does not matter.

print("The future says: ", future());
function future() {
}
return "We STILL have no flying cars.";
Jaret Manuel
This is a great book for programmers who are more advanced in Javascript. I would probably give this a 5 if I wasn't an absolute beginner in this area.
Martin Sotirov
Surprisingly good style of writing for a book on programming. Recommended for those with some programming experience but just starting to explore JavaScript.
Jean Bahnik
Such an easy read, great introduction to javascript and programming! It reads like a novel, which is unusual and refreshing for a technical book.
Fabian Linzberger
nice and solid basic introduction to programming using javascript.

there seems to also be a free online version: http://eloquentjavascript.net/
Nguyen Huu Anh Vu
Online version at http://eloquentjavascript.net/, with on-screen console. Great introduction to javascript with little background on other languages
Adron Hall
Excellent book, covers the material concisely and in an easily usable way. I commonly go back and check questions against this book.
Jonathan Lim
Oct 04, 2013 Jonathan Lim marked it as stopped  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
Reached Chapter 6.2
It's feeling heavier and less fun than at the start.
Maybe I'll come back to it another time.
This is an excellent reference for Javascript and basic web programming concepts.
  • JavaScript Patterns
  • The Little Schemer
  • Even Faster Web Sites
  • Clojure Programming
  • Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers' Guide
  • Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!
  • HTML5: Up and Running

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Die Kunst der JavaScript-Programmierung: Eine moderne Einführung in die Sprache des Web (German Edition) Die Kunst der JavaScript-Programmierung

“The programmer who refuses to keep exploring will surely stagnate, forget his joy, lose the will to program (and become a manager).” 2 likes
“The computer programmer is a creator of universes for which he alone is responsible. Universes of virtually unlimited complexity can be created in the form of computer programs. — Joseph Weizenbaum, Computer Power and Human Reason” 0 likes