The Taken

The Taken

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  20 reviews
From Publishers Weekly
Pinborough delivers genuine chills in this effective tale of ghostly revenge. Thirty years ago, in the rural town of Watterrow, England, a beautiful, curly-haired 10-year-old named Melanie Parr suffered a fatal accident. Having used her angelic looks to hide a cruel, sociopathic personality, the girl delighted in tormenting her playmates, whose mother...more
Mass Market Paperback, 323 pages
Published April 3rd 2007 by Leisure Books (first published April 1st 2007)

W.D.
This review is going to be completely different than every other view I've done and possible will do after this one. I struggled with trying to figure out how to write it. Why? Because for me to talk about the writing of the book as as both a reader and a writer, it would mean I would have to get incredibly personal. Now, I have no qualms talking about myself in a conversation with a person who asks intimate questions about who I am. But there is difference in my mind when a person posts those s...more
Dylan
Nov 09, 2008 Dylan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any fan of horror and supernatural
Recommended to Dylan by: found on own
Shelves: my-bookshelf
I love this book! It's about a ghost that comes back in a storm bent on revenge for what happened 30 years ago in a thunderstorm. It's full of suspense, and a light gore factor. I highly recommend this book and this author!
Kasia
After reading three of Pinbrough's horror novels I get a sense of her comfort laying in small village or town settings. Her strengths are apparent in the well placed sense of dread and creepiness woven from the beginning, she builds up good characters, places them in an interesting setting, makes the reader involved in their life and then sneaks in something malevolent, waiting to break it all apart. It's almost hard to read but I guess that's how authors get us to care.

Small rural town of Watte...more
Anne Hanks
This was my first book by this author and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The Taken tells the story of a terminally ill woman in a small antiquated village in the UK and the supernatural happenings surrounding the disappearance of a local child decades before. Very imaginative and I definitely recommend this book
Derek
Dear Brett,

This book was pretty good. I have been trying to get a hold of A Matter of Blood for a little while now because http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/ can't stop gushing about it and the whole The Dog-Faced Gods series. Since the library didn't have any of the latter-mentioned series, I thought I'd try one of Pinborough's other books as a primer. This particular book won out exclusively on ease of availability.

First off, the book's premise of "lost kids coming back to exact revenge"...more
Shyla Warrington
I sat down to read this one before bed, and I didn't stop until I turned the last page. I was up ALL night. The unique twist at the end, and the job that Alex ends up doing, they almost brought me to tears! I just find the whole concept very original and I'm not going to spill it for future readers by revealing the plot here :-) just know that it's miles away from your typical ghost story.
Martha
I learned from this book that I am right to avoid horror--I really don't enjoy it! I didn't actually find this book scary as much as gory/gross (although I understand that by horror standards this book is very mild), and there were quite a few minor editorial errors that I found irritating. I will say, however, that malevolent children always make for a nice creepy horror device.....
Susan
The beginning of the book felt a bit slow though this may also be attributed to the fact that I dislike being kept hanging for too long before getting the back story. Especially since the back story was a key factor to understanding what was going on in the present. Once the book got going, I found it to be an enjoyable "ride".
Bandit
I really enjoyed this book, my second read by Pinborough. She's such a talented writer, I very much enjoyed the creepy claustrophobic atmosphere of a small village cut off from the world by a downpour and her characters are very well written, especially the main one of Alex. Very quick good read, I highly recommend this one.
Deirdre
I had no idea that Sarah Pinborough is a horror writer when I picked this book up. I was pleasantly surprised--and reminded that I have a soft spot for good horror, as grotesque as that may sound.
alicia
This was okay a little strange.Started off really good then got weird at the end.A small town has strange deaths and a girl who disappeared 30 yrs ago seems to be getting her revenge.
Deepa
This was an amazing read! I got chills while reading this book. It was exciting, suspenseful, and tragic. Definitely recommend this book to those who love horror novels!
Shannon
I really enjoyed this. It started off a bit slow and I didn't really grasp what was going on, but by the end I was able to get into the story and the characters.
Sheryl
Aug 20, 2013 Sheryl added it
A slow start, leading to a compelling old fashioned good scare. I was very disappointed with the ending. I had expected so more more.
Ginny
I liked the whole story, but the ending wasn't how I expected. It could have been better.
I have a new favorite horror writer. There are parts of this book that will haunt me forever.
Paula
I've give this one 3.5 stars if I could (but not 4).
Maicie
You gotta love evil little kids.
Anessa
unique story
Brian
Outstanding!
Jonathan Schuster
Jonathan Schuster marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Ashley
Ashley added it
Jun 30, 2014
Kelly Truelove
Kelly Truelove marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Sanitys Cky
Sanitys Cky marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Prometeus
Prometeus marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Sarah Pinborough is the British author of five horror novels and her sixth, Feeding Ground, is due out from Leisure books in October 2009. Her short stories have appeared in several anthologies and she has also written aTorchwood novel Into the Silence for BBC Books (May 09). She is currently working on A Matter of Blood, the first of a supernatural thriller trilogy for Gollancz, which will be in...more
More about Sarah Pinborough...
Mayhem (Mayhem, #1) Poison (Tales from the Kingdoms, #1) Into The Silence (Torchwood, #10) Breeding Ground A Matter of Blood (The Dog-Faced Gods, #1)