Start by marking “The Taken” as Want to Read:
The Taken

The Taken

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  24 reviews
She's a beautiful little girl, only ten years old with pretty blond curls. Why, then, does she strike such terror into all who see her? Because she died thirty years ago—a horrible, agonizing death in the middle of a raging thunderstorm. Tonight the storm has returned… and so has she.

She has returned from a shadowy realm unseen by the living to exact revenge on those respo
Mass Market Paperback, 323 pages
Published April 3rd 2007 by Leisure Books (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Taken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Taken

W.D.
Aug 13, 2014 W.D. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
This review is going to be completely different than every other view I've done and possible will do after this one. I struggled with trying to figure out how to write it. Why? Because for me to talk about the writing of the book as as both a reader and a writer, it would mean I would have to get incredibly personal. Now, I have no qualms talking about myself in a conversation with a person who asks intimate questions about who I am. But there is difference in my mind when a person posts those s ...more
Dylan
Nov 09, 2008 Dylan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any fan of horror and supernatural
Recommended to Dylan by: found on own
Shelves: my-bookshelf
I love this book! It's about a ghost that comes back in a storm bent on revenge for what happened 30 years ago in a thunderstorm. It's full of suspense, and a light gore factor. I highly recommend this book and this author!
Kasia S.
After reading three of Pinbrough's horror novels I get a sense of her comfort laying in small village or town settings. Her strengths are apparent in the well placed sense of dread and creepiness woven from the beginning, she builds up good characters, places them in an interesting setting, makes the reader involved in their life and then sneaks in something malevolent, waiting to break it all apart. It's almost hard to read but I guess that's how authors get us to care.

Small rural town of Watte
Anne Hanks
This was my first book by this author and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The Taken tells the story of a terminally ill woman in a small antiquated village in the UK and the supernatural happenings surrounding the disappearance of a local child decades before. Very imaginative and I definitely recommend this book
Derek
Dear Brett,

This book was pretty good. I have been trying to get a hold of A Matter of Blood for a little while now because http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/ can't stop gushing about it and the whole The Dog-Faced Gods series. Since the library didn't have any of the latter-mentioned series, I thought I'd try one of Pinborough's other books as a primer. This particular book won out exclusively on ease of availability.

First off, the book's premise of "lost kids coming back to exact revenge"
Kendra
I happened upon this book by chance and I would love to say that I was hooked from the beginning and I never put it down, but that isn't true, well at least half of it. I was hooked and thought the concept was really great I just couldn't stick with it. I started this book a while ago and always found my way back to it. It was interesting but for some reason it couldn't hold my interest. But then on the way home from work I thought I'd give it another chance and finish something I started an BOO ...more
Hannelore Cheney
The Taken by Sarah Pinborough is well-written, but I don't like horror, thought I'd give it another try, but realized I still don't like it.
Jan
In a small English farming village, Alex watches and a storm rages and her life falls apart around her. Inside the unrelenting storm, strange children are appearing and mysterious deaths are occurring. Slowly Alex unwinds the mystery of the last time such a storm came to town, 30 years ago.

This is a really good "ghost" story. It is creepy and compelling. I really liked many of the characters, flawed as they were. This is a great winter's read. Curl up with something warm to drink and enjoy.
Shyla Warrington
I sat down to read this one before bed, and I didn't stop until I turned the last page. I was up ALL night. The unique twist at the end, and the job that Alex ends up doing, they almost brought me to tears! I just find the whole concept very original and I'm not going to spill it for future readers by revealing the plot here :-) just know that it's miles away from your typical ghost story.
Martha
I learned from this book that I am right to avoid horror--I really don't enjoy it! I didn't actually find this book scary as much as gory/gross (although I understand that by horror standards this book is very mild), and there were quite a few minor editorial errors that I found irritating. I will say, however, that malevolent children always make for a nice creepy horror device.....
Susan
The beginning of the book felt a bit slow though this may also be attributed to the fact that I dislike being kept hanging for too long before getting the back story. Especially since the back story was a key factor to understanding what was going on in the present. Once the book got going, I found it to be an enjoyable "ride".
Bandit
I really enjoyed this book, my second read by Pinborough. She's such a talented writer, I very much enjoyed the creepy claustrophobic atmosphere of a small village cut off from the world by a downpour and her characters are very well written, especially the main one of Alex. Very quick good read, I highly recommend this one.
Deirdre
I had no idea that Sarah Pinborough is a horror writer when I picked this book up. I was pleasantly surprised--and reminded that I have a soft spot for good horror, as grotesque as that may sound.
Elso
First take on "The Taken" by Sarah Pinborough is all good. Terror and just scary stuff is what you will expect. Small country towns adjacent to dense woodlands have always remained a fascination for me.
alicia
This was okay a little strange.Started off really good then got weird at the end.A small town has strange deaths and a girl who disappeared 30 yrs ago seems to be getting her revenge.
Deepa
This was an amazing read! I got chills while reading this book. It was exciting, suspenseful, and tragic. Definitely recommend this book to those who love horror novels!
Shannon
I really enjoyed this. It started off a bit slow and I didn't really grasp what was going on, but by the end I was able to get into the story and the characters.
Sheryl
Aug 20, 2013 Sheryl added it
A slow start, leading to a compelling old fashioned good scare. I was very disappointed with the ending. I had expected so more more.
Ginny
I liked the whole story, but the ending wasn't how I expected. It could have been better.
I have a new favorite horror writer. There are parts of this book that will haunt me forever.
Paula
I've give this one 3.5 stars if I could (but not 4).
Maicie
You gotta love evil little kids.
Anessa
unique story
Brian
Outstanding!
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Marsha Murphy
Marsha Murphy marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Larry
Larry marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Beth Burthwick
Beth Burthwick marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Tanner Willbanks
Tanner Willbanks marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
  • Ghosts
  • Edgewise
  • The Haunting
  • Creatures of the Pool
Sarah Pinborough is the British author of five horror novels and her sixth, Feeding Ground, is due out from Leisure books in October 2009. Her short stories have appeared in several anthologies and she has also written aTorchwood novel Into the Silence for BBC Books (May 09). She is currently working on A Matter of Blood, the first of a supernatural thriller trilogy for Gollancz, which will be in ...more
More about Sarah Pinborough...
Mayhem Poison (Tales from the Kingdoms, #1) Charm (Tales from the Kingdoms, #2) Into The Silence (Torchwood, #10) Beauty (Tales from the Kingdoms, #3)