Start by marking “DNS and BIND” as Want to Read:
DNS and BIND

DNS and BIND

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  448 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
DNS and BIND is about one of the Internet's fundamental building blocks: the distributed host information database that's responsible for translating names into addresses, routing mail to its proper destination, and many other services. As the authors say in the preface, if you're using the Internet, you're already using DNS--even if you don't know it.

This edition brings y
Paperback, 4th Edition, 624 pages
Published April 23rd 2001 by O'Reilly Media (first published December 1996)

To ask other readers questions about DNS and BIND, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DNS and BIND

finisherr
Jun 20, 2014 finisherr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Critical for anyone working in desktop support, systems administration and systems engineering. It provides an introduction and gentle explanation of DNS and moves on to review common applications of DNS via Bind. I strongly recommend reading this for a general understanding and using the official Bind documentation as a reference for more detail.
Alex Le
Jan 18, 2009 Alex Le rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the fundamental book that ALL web developers should read. It increases my knowledge of why and how the internet works significantly. The concept of DNS is explained thoroughly and every easy to understand. Once you get the basic (witch is the first 100 pages or so), the rest of the book can be used to learn more about how Bind works and administrative works.

As a web developer, what I learned from the first part of the book about DNS is invaluable. I can understand the network and
Ethernaut
Sep 08, 2014 Ethernaut rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've lent out my dog-eared and beverage-stained copy (signed) like a bankers pen -- and I've bothered to retrieve it each time. how could I not recommend it?
Dwight Walker
useful for cloud hosting business I am developing
Jack Repenning
Dec 22, 2010 Jack Repenning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
Great example of the best of the O'Reilly tech books. This is actually the most-used work on my bookshelf, though mostly for the table in the back telling what country controls the top-level domains (so I know where my spam is coming from ;-)
Jurvis
Feb 15, 2009 Jurvis rated it really liked it
i've read (and reread) large portions of this book, but not the whole thing. i've used it to implement some novel uses of bind views with proper zone transfers. i'll definitely reach for it the next time i find my dns infrastructure wanting.
George Silva
Jan 07, 2014 George Silva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it
great book. gives good understanding of the foundations on internet and some tcpip protocol.

not only that, teaches everything there is to know about bind in several versions. easy language and another great oreilly book.
Josh Readmore
Jan 28, 2009 Josh Readmore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DNS can at times be a perplexing beast. This is a very thick reference on the subject, and can help you learn about this surprisingly rich lore. This book is probably less helpful in a crisis - but who knows?
Laurence
Nov 01, 2009 Laurence rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the gold standard and I think it could have been written by one of my colleagues, Tan. Yes, when a server had issues recently he rebuilt the DNS settings from scratch.
Mike
Dec 31, 2008 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was the editor for this book, not the author. This is a classic, though. One of the best books I've ever worked on.

This edition is out of date. Get the 5th edition.
Laurent
A great read.
I almost met Cricket Liu when I interviewed for a company where he was CTO... but in the end, I chose to stay in Vancouver a couple more years.
-uht!
Jul 17, 2007 -uht! rated it really liked it
Shelves: computers
Tis book really gave me a broad understanding of how the web really works. It was cool to understand the historyf how DNS was developed.
Daniel Yakiwchuk
Oct 10, 2012 Daniel Yakiwchuk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sysadmin
The definitive guide to BIND. Many different revisions of this book have called my sysadmin bookshelf home for years.
Zack
Dec 06, 2008 Zack added it
Shelves: technical-books
This was a little over my head, but I continue to use it sometimes as a reference.
TK Keanini
Apr 10, 2007 TK Keanini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so important to understand. This book is known as the Grasshopper book.
Puercozon
Aug 06, 2013 Puercozon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La mera biblia de DNS.
Robert
A real pot boiler!
Tyronne Knowles
Tyronne Knowles marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Alain O'Dea
Alain O'Dea rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2016
Shaun Mouton
Shaun Mouton rated it it was amazing
Tom Gleason
Tom Gleason rated it it was ok
Steve Mckisic
Steve Mckisic marked it as to-read
SANJAY DEY
SANJAY DEY marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Minghang Chen
Minghang Chen is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2016
Donald Lesher
Donald Lesher rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
pluton
pluton marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Andy Beal
Andy Beal rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
  • TCP/IP Network Administration
  • Practical UNIX & Internet Security
  • Essential System Administration
  • UNIX System Administration Handbook
  • SSH, The Secure Shell: The Definitive Guide
  • sed & awk
  • Perl Cookbook
  • Apache: The Definitive Guide: Vital Information for Apache Programmers and Administrators
  • Perl Best Practices
  • Linux Network Administrator's Guide
  • Advanced Perl Programming
  • Mastering Algorithms with Perl
  • The Implementation (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2)
  • Java in a Nutshell
  • Learning Perl
  • The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)
  • Time Management for System Administrators
  • Mastering Regular Expressions

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »