Start by marking “DNS and BIND” as Want to Read:
DNS and BIND

DNS and BIND

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  326 ratings  ·  16 reviews
DNS and BIND is about one of the Internet's fundamental building blocks: the distributed host information database that's responsible for translating names into addresses, routing mail to its proper destination, and many other services. As the authors say in the preface, if you're using the Internet, you're already using DNS--even if you don't know it.

This edition brings y
Paperback, 4th Edition, 624 pages
Published April 23rd 2001 by O'Reilly Media (first published December 1996)

To ask other readers questions about DNS and BIND, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DNS and BIND

finisherr
Critical for anyone working in desktop support, systems administration and systems engineering. It provides an introduction and gentle explanation of DNS and moves on to review common applications of DNS via Bind. I strongly recommend reading this for a general understanding and using the official Bind documentation as a reference for more detail.
Alex Le
This is one of the fundamental book that ALL web developers should read. It increases my knowledge of why and how the internet works significantly. The concept of DNS is explained thoroughly and every easy to understand. Once you get the basic (witch is the first 100 pages or so), the rest of the book can be used to learn more about how Bind works and administrative works.

As a web developer, what I learned from the first part of the book about DNS is invaluable. I can understand the network and
Ethernaut
I've lent out my dog-eared and beverage-stained copy (signed) like a bankers pen -- and I've bothered to retrieve it each time. how could I not recommend it?
Jack Repenning
Great example of the best of the O'Reilly tech books. This is actually the most-used work on my bookshelf, though mostly for the table in the back telling what country controls the top-level domains (so I know where my spam is coming from ;-)
Jurvis
i've read (and reread) large portions of this book, but not the whole thing. i've used it to implement some novel uses of bind views with proper zone transfers. i'll definitely reach for it the next time i find my dns infrastructure wanting.
George Silva
great book. gives good understanding of the foundations on internet and some tcpip protocol.

not only that, teaches everything there is to know about bind in several versions. easy language and another great oreilly book.
Josh Readmore
DNS can at times be a perplexing beast. This is a very thick reference on the subject, and can help you learn about this surprisingly rich lore. This book is probably less helpful in a crisis - but who knows?
Laurence
This book is the gold standard and I think it could have been written by one of my colleagues, Tan. Yes, when a server had issues recently he rebuilt the DNS settings from scratch.
Mike
I was the editor for this book, not the author. This is a classic, though. One of the best books I've ever worked on.

This edition is out of date. Get the 5th edition.
-uht!
Tis book really gave me a broad understanding of how the web really works. It was cool to understand the historyf how DNS was developed.
Daniel Yakiwchuk
The definitive guide to BIND. Many different revisions of this book have called my sysadmin bookshelf home for years.
Zack
Dec 06, 2008 Zack added it
Shelves: technical-books
This was a little over my head, but I continue to use it sometimes as a reference.
TK Keanini
This book is so important to understand. This book is known as the Grasshopper book.
Robert
A real pot boiler!
Power
Power marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Lawrence
Lawrence marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Alessandro
Alessandro marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Andrii
Andrii marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Anatoliy Kaverin
Anatoliy Kaverin marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
  • UNIX System Administration Handbook
  • Programming Perl
  • SSH, The Secure Shell: The Definitive Guide
  • Perl Cookbook, Second Edition
  • Apache: The Definitive Guide: Vital Information for Apache Programmers and Administrators
  • Perl Best Practices
  • sed & awk
  • The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)
  • The Implementation (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2)
  • Mastering Regular Expressions
  • Time Management for System Administrators
  • UNIX Power Tools
  • Learning Perl
  • Java in a Nutshell
  • Learning the vi Editor

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
DNS and Bind DNS on Windows NT DNS und BIND. Für Systemadministratoren Dns e Bind