Against Which

Against Which

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  12 reviews
An exploration of the various ways language can help us transcend both the banal and unusual cruelties which are inevitably delivered to us, and which we equally deliver unto others. These poems comb through violence and love, fear and loss, exploring the common denominators in each. Against Which seeks the ways human beings might transform themselves from participants in...more
Published October 31st 2006 by CavanKerry Press

Elizabeth
May 15, 2009 Elizabeth added it
Shelves: poetry
I bought this book after hearing Gay read at Asheville Wordfest. I liked his way. Liked the new poems (Syndromes) he was reading. With the book, I was more impressed.... and then also a bit more wary. There are really drop-dead gorgeous poems in here. And Gay is wrestling with some of the big stuff: dead parents, cruelties of childhood,the hard lives of rural working class folks. It’s good poetry. “Against Which” is wonderful. A poem that plays with plot and language and sings. “The Bullet, in I...more
Abby
Mar 03, 2014 Abby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Intense!
Kent
There is a lot I'm impressed with in this book. A LOT! All the poems have so much life and fresh energy. But what I am fascinated with is Gay's facility with violence and the potentially exaggerated scene. It's amazing to me that he could have a poem like "Broken Mania" that still maintains a credible stance for what seems to me incredible.
Chris Schaeffer
I read this in my girlfriend's car on a long drive to Lancaster to visit our departing friends-- or to visit some friends in a new apartment-- either way, somebody leaving or arriving. This book was recommended to me by the sublime Nzadi Keita way back in 2008, and it's a disgrace that I took two years to heed her advice.
Elliott Battzedek
In "Against Which" Ross Gay manages to be sparse and musical and honey-thick and world-bitter and hopeful all at the same time. One is not the same after reading a single poem; reading the collection shows why American poetry is exploding in a thousand directions, all of them good.
aya
Aug 31, 2008 aya rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to aya by: evan
Shelves: the-best
definitely one of the best books of poetry i've ever read. this guy is absolutely incredible. never sappy, he has whittled everything down to the essentials. what remains is the spine of life without pretensions, posturing or sap. he is a practically perfect poet.
Jessey Nickells
This was an amazing book to travel with. I found myself re-reading poem after poem, wanting to turn and exchange it with the person next to me. There is something about Ross' experiences that make you homesick for the connections you could make.
Jana
went to a poetry reading by ross, who is a regular at my job, and a friend of his. was blown away by his words, couldn't breathe half the time, so cool to actually know a poet whose words i love. reading his book propels my brain into writing mode.
Jenny Nolan
Ross Gay is an incredibly talented poet. This is one you will go back to time and time again, finding new meaning and inspiration in his words.
Richard
Incredible. Ross's poems hold all the complexity of our lives in them. Wonderful poet, teacher, & friend.
Jenni
Jul 28, 2007 Jenni rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poets
Good first book. Some truly excellent poems, one of the better first books I've read.
Adrian
Powerful and articulate poetry; muscular verse.
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Chaneli
Chaneli marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Michael Strode
Michael Strode marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Faith Gordy
Faith Gordy marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Lisa
Lisa is currently reading it
May 20, 2014
Colin
Colin marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
esther
esther marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Darrian Thomas
Darrian Thomas marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013