Start by marking “Against Which” as Want to Read:
Against Which

Against Which

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  11 reviews
An exploration of the various ways language can help us transcend both the banal and unusual cruelties which are inevitably delivered to us, and which we equally deliver unto others. These poems comb through violence and love, fear and loss, exploring the common denominators in each. Against Which seeks the ways human beings might transform themselves from participants in ...more
Published October 31st 2006 by CavanKerry Press

To ask other readers questions about Against Which, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against Which

May 15, 2009 Elizabeth added it
Shelves: poetry
I bought this book after hearing Gay read at Asheville Wordfest. I liked his way. Liked the new poems (Syndromes) he was reading. With the book, I was more impressed.... and then also a bit more wary. There are really drop-dead gorgeous poems in here. And Gay is wrestling with some of the big stuff: dead parents, cruelties of childhood,the hard lives of rural working class folks. It’s good poetry. “Against Which” is wonderful. A poem that plays with plot and language and sings. “The Bullet, in I ...more
There is a lot I'm impressed with in this book. A LOT! All the poems have so much life and fresh energy. But what I am fascinated with is Gay's facility with violence and the potentially exaggerated scene. It's amazing to me that he could have a poem like "Broken Mania" that still maintains a credible stance for what seems to me incredible.
Chris Schaeffer
I read this in my girlfriend's car on a long drive to Lancaster to visit our departing friends-- or to visit some friends in a new apartment-- either way, somebody leaving or arriving. This book was recommended to me by the sublime Nzadi Keita way back in 2008, and it's a disgrace that I took two years to heed her advice.
Elliott Battzedek
In "Against Which" Ross Gay manages to be sparse and musical and honey-thick and world-bitter and hopeful all at the same time. One is not the same after reading a single poem; reading the collection shows why American poetry is exploding in a thousand directions, all of them good.
Aug 31, 2008 aya rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to aya by: evan
Shelves: the-best
definitely one of the best books of poetry i've ever read. this guy is absolutely incredible. never sappy, he has whittled everything down to the essentials. what remains is the spine of life without pretensions, posturing or sap. he is a practically perfect poet.
Jessey Nickells
This was an amazing book to travel with. I found myself re-reading poem after poem, wanting to turn and exchange it with the person next to me. There is something about Ross' experiences that make you homesick for the connections you could make.
went to a poetry reading by ross, who is a regular at my job, and a friend of his. was blown away by his words, couldn't breathe half the time, so cool to actually know a poet whose words i love. reading his book propels my brain into writing mode.
Jenny Nolan
Ross Gay is an incredibly talented poet. This is one you will go back to time and time again, finding new meaning and inspiration in his words.
Ross Gay is a treasure who deserves all the good things for writing these amazing, powerful, soft poems and allowing us to read them.
Jul 28, 2007 Jenni rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poets
Good first book. Some truly excellent poems, one of the better first books I've read.
Powerful and articulate poetry; muscular verse.
Sep 20, 2014 Abby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Yasmin marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Gregory Manson
Gregory Manson marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Anandi marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Susan marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Tinderbox Editions
Tinderbox Editions marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Stephanie marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Kayla Thomas
Kayla Thomas marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Julene marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Cameron marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Greg marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Tracy marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Anita marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Bringing the Shovel Down Catalog of Unabashed Gratitude River Lace & Pyrite: Letters from Two Gardens