Start by marking “Get Paid What You're Worth: The Expert Negotiators' Guide to Salary and Compensation” as Want to Read:

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Begin getting paid what you’re worth---today!

Couldn't you use more money? Whether you're entering the workforce for the first time, making a job change, or seeking better compensation for your contributions, Robin L. Pinkley and Gregory B. Northcraft will guide you step-by-step toward getting exactly what you deserve.

- Learn why there may be more money available for you th...more
Published March 1st 2003 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published March 9th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Get Paid What You're Worth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get Paid What You're Worth

Sarah (Workaday Reads)
I just finished Get Paid What You're Worth by Robin L. Pinkley and Gregory B. Northcraft. Unfortunately, I found it not very hopeful. It is more about negotiating your salary and benefits when you are first hired. It barely mentions raises or re-negotiations.

There were some good points, such as "anchoring" your requests with facts, and learning to see negotations as a team effort, not as one person pitted against another. There was a lot of emphasis placed on research: research about the employe...more
Melanie
This book offers some good advice. Some points I found especially helpful:

1. Employees who negotiate their salaries make better impressions than people who just accept the first offer. Negotiating salary shows a level of knowledge and professionalism

2. Get the employer on your side. The goal is to have the employer work with you to come to an agreement acceptable to both sides.

3. Take time to understand your offer. Ask how the salary was calculated. Find out the details of other benefits.
Cardonc25
This is a great book for figuring out how to negotiate compensation. It helped me immensely to realize that employers expect negotiation and you don't have to simply take an offer as is, but you and try to create value for both you and your prospective employer.
Rebecca
I took a class from one of the writers, and it was execellent. I really felt like I learned a lot; that being said, I found the book a little dull and a bit uninspiring. I think there are some useful interview tips, and that it is an easy read.
Leslie Jensen-Inman
This just might be my all-time favorite book about negotiating compensation. It is quick and easy read. Reading the book (and working through the exercises) has helped a number of people (including myself) get better compensation packages.
Michael
Sheds valuable light on negotiating employment and compensation. The writing is nothing special, and the point system they advocate is too complicated for my liking.
Tony Canas
Recommended by one of my favorite professors in the MBA program, well worth a read and a re-read everytime you're changing jobs or going into a yearly review.
Bobbie
Everyone should read this
Brandi
Brandi marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Shashank Reddy
Shashank Reddy marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Aug 28, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Larry Ousley
Larry Ousley marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
John
John added it
Feb 23, 2014
Ching
Ching added it
Dec 30, 2013
Dara
Dara is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2013
Hunter Wilson
Hunter Wilson marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2013
Jennifer Colucci
Jennifer Colucci is currently reading it
Mar 11, 2013
Sconaton
Sconaton marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2013
Danny
Danny added it
Feb 21, 2013
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2013
Flopi Di Sarli
Flopi Di Sarli marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2012
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2012
Kevin Haynes
Kevin Haynes marked it as to-read
May 05, 2012
Mike
Mike added it
Sep 22, 2014
Holly Mitchell
Holly Mitchell marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2012
Ebony
Ebony marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2012