Start by marking “Get Paid What You're Worth: The Expert Negotiators' Guide to Salary and Compensation” as Want to Read:

Begin getting paid what you’re worth---today!

Couldn’t you use more money? Whether you’re entering the workforce for the first time, making a job change, or seeking better compensation for your contributions, Robin L. Pinkley and Gregory B. Northcraft will guide you step-by-step toward getting exactly what you deserve.

- Learn why there may be more money available for
Published March 1st 2003 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published March 9th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Get Paid What You're Worth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get Paid What You're Worth

Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Dec 23, 2010 Sarah (Workaday Reads) rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2010
I just finished Get Paid What You're Worth by Robin L. Pinkley and Gregory B. Northcraft. Unfortunately, I found it not very hopeful. It is more about negotiating your salary and benefits when you are first hired. It barely mentions raises or re-negotiations.

There were some good points, such as "anchoring" your requests with facts, and learning to see negotations as a team effort, not as one person pitted against another. There was a lot of emphasis placed on research: research about the employe
Melanie
Dec 10, 2013 Melanie rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, career, 2014
This book offers some good advice. Some points I found especially helpful:

1. Employees who negotiate their salaries make better impressions than people who just accept the first offer. Negotiating salary shows a level of knowledge and professionalism

2. Get the employer on your side. The goal is to have the employer work with you to come to an agreement acceptable to both sides.

3. Take time to understand your offer. Ask how the salary was calculated. Find out the details of other benefits.
Nikita Zhuk
Dec 04, 2014 Nikita Zhuk rated it really liked it
Good stuff on basic contract negotiation strategies - how to find ways to negotiate about the whole deal and not to make it just about the salary. Recommended reading for anyone who has to go though salary or contract negotiations.
Brock Steger
May 10, 2015 Brock Steger rated it liked it
Useful, easy to read, probably a stretch to turn it into an entire book. Could have been condensed into a good HBR article. Still, I'll approach future salary negotiations with better knowledge having read this.
Leslie Jensen-Inman
Jul 28, 2010 Leslie Jensen-Inman rated it it was amazing
This just might be my all-time favorite book about negotiating compensation. It is quick and easy read. Reading the book (and working through the exercises) has helped a number of people (including myself) get better compensation packages.
Cardonc25
This is a great book for figuring out how to negotiate compensation. It helped me immensely to realize that employers expect negotiation and you don't have to simply take an offer as is, but you and try to create value for both you and your prospective employer.
Rebecca
Jun 06, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was ok
I took a class from one of the writers, and it was execellent. I really felt like I learned a lot; that being said, I found the book a little dull and a bit uninspiring. I think there are some useful interview tips, and that it is an easy read.
Tony Canas
Recommended by one of my favorite professors in the MBA program, well worth a read and a re-read everytime you're changing jobs or going into a yearly review.
Bobbie
Sep 21, 2011 Bobbie rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this
Michael
Feb 13, 2010 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: money-business
Sheds valuable light on negotiating employment and compensation. The writing is nothing special, and the point system they advocate is too complicated for my liking.
Yasser Etman
Yasser Etman rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Mark Morris
Mark Morris rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2014
Adrienna
Adrienna rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2009
Matt McCormick
Matt McCormick rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Elisa
Elisa rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2008
Laman Abdulla
Laman Abdulla rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Shoshana
Shoshana rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2017
Tyler Johnson
Tyler Johnson rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2015
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Heinertx
Heinertx rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2014
DeeDee H.
DeeDee H. rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Kate Himes
Kate Himes rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2015
Lee Tyner
Lee Tyner rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2012
Greg
Greg rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2008
Dana Tucker
Dana Tucker rated it it was ok
Apr 07, 2016
Sherri
Sherri rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2014
Andrew Blanchard
Andrew Blanchard rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2017
Caroline
Caroline rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2017