Start by marking “The Bunny Book, Richard Scarry's (a Little Golden Book)” as Want to Read:
The Bunny Book, Richard Scarry's (a Little Golden Book)

The Bunny Book, Richard Scarry's (Little Golden Book)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,127 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
A daddy bunny plays with his baby bunny and says, “What will our baby be when he grows up?” Everyone, from the baby’s mother to big sister to Great Aunt Bunny, seems to know: a clown, a policeman, a candy store owner. But the baby only nibbles on his carrot and looks wise . . . for he knows he will grow up to be a nice daddy bunny!
Hardcover, Classic Edition, 24 pages
Published January 11th 2005 by Golden Books (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Bunny Book, Richard Scarry's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bunny Book, Richard Scarry's

The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyThe Monster at the End of this Book by Jon StoneThe Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperThe Color Kittens by Margaret Wise BrownThe Saggy Baggy Elephant by Kathryn Jackson
My FAVORITE LITTLE GOLDEN BOOK
10th out of 125 books — 93 voters
The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon StoneThe Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyScuffy the Tugboat by Gertrude CramptonThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreHome for a Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Ever Little Golden Books
9th out of 118 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Jamie
Oct 23, 2014 Jamie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This covers a variety of jobs a child might dream up for themselves or family members as they guess what they will be when they grow up. It is fun to see kids react to the various careers such as doctor, lifeguard, lion tamer, mailman, etc. So many parents try to guess what their child will be so it can be a fun read for them too.
Rob
Nov 16, 2008 Rob rated it it was ok
Shelves: with-holden
While the message that the Baby Bunny will forge his own path (regardless of family influences) is one I can get behind, Baby Bunny clearly has some naïve beliefs about parenting. On the one hand, you could argue that this children's book is progressive for it's time (a stay-at-home dad? rock!) but Baby Bunny hasn't thought through the financial implications, the responsibilities he'll still have as the Papa of — what was it? — four baby bunnies of his own. Not that the rabbit relatives don't ha ...more
Morris
Jun 15, 2013 Morris rated it it was amazing
"I loved it when the little bunny wanted to grow to be a dad."
Danny
Oct 10, 2012 Danny rated it liked it
I'm glad I turned out to be a daddy bunny.
Gary Masskin
I enjoyed this more than I expected. I was surprised to see that the text wasn't written by Richard despite the cover showcasing his name as the main contributor, much like Tengren's Tawny Scrawny Lion. Perhaps this was common in the era when this book was weitten as opposed to today's picture books which are an equal collaboration between author and illustrator. Another throwback of this time is illustrations featuring a father smoking a pipe - which can also be found in Curious George - and so ...more
Marya
May 29, 2015 Marya rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I admit that were the titular character female, this book would be a little...demeaning (women can only be mommies?). But since the bunny is a boy, it's sweet to see that he wants to be a daddy. He now just needs someone to tell him he can be both a daddy AND something else.
Jack
Jan 15, 2016 Jack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: k-g-4
The Bunny family all imagine what little baby boy bunny could be when he grows up. Baby Boy Bunny want to grow up to be a good daddy. I liked the message.
I generally like the solid Little Golden Book series.
This is one of the collaborations between Patricia Murphy Scarry and her husband Richard Scarry. Patricia Murphy was a writer of children's textbooks who met Richard during collaboration when he was a textbook illustrator. She is credited with writing many of the stories in his subsequent ch
Gemma
Oct 06, 2015 Gemma rated it really liked it
I always loved books illustrated/written by Richard Scarry when I was a child, so it is a real treat to find that my children also enjoy them. The Bunny Book is one of the few that they ask for by name. They have heard it enough that they help me read the story, and we also have heaps of fun talking about the different things they see on each page, as well as all the different jobs the various family members suggest as possible future occupations for the baby bunny.
Professor
Jan 04, 2016 Professor rated it really liked it
I know some fathers that are really unhappy with the state of fatherhood in childens' books. This one definitely has a lovely ending where fathers feature prominently, and, while I don't mind as much as he does, as a dad who reads a lot of books to his son I have to say it was nice to have one where we are depicted so wonderfully. A lovely book in any case, with lots of fun ideas of what a baby can grow up to be.
Karen
Apr 16, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
The text in this book does little more than explain the illustrations, but that's just fine. This book is all about the adorable, wonderful illustrations. Except for that clown rabbit. I could easily live without a clown rabbit.
Abbie
Mar 30, 2016 Abbie rated it it was ok
Wonderful illustrations, but I'd prefer a message where the bunny is a dad AND some other career. My daughter loves this book, but I want that message to be clear from the start: BOTH a career and a family.
Siomara
Mar 18, 2015 Siomara rated it it was amazing
This bunny book talks about the different types of jobs there are. Children will learn about different jobs they will one day have.
Pam
Feb 08, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing
What will this Bunny be when he grows up? I love his ultimate choice of occupation!! One of my childhood top favorites!
Melainebooks
Jul 25, 2015 Melainebooks rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-in-english
L'un de mes livres préférés de mon enfance. Quelle joie cela a été de le trouver en anglais !!!!!
H.L. Stephens
Sep 04, 2014 H.L. Stephens rated it it was amazing
Another favorite from the Golden Books collection.
Rachael
Aug 31, 2007 Rachael rated it it was amazing
This is my very favorite children's book. Ever. I tear up every time I read it. Why, you ask?

Well, the book is all about the bunny's relatives speculating on what the little bunny will be when he grows up...a policeman, a candy store owner, a train engineer, a clown, a cowboy, a farmer, etc. But the little bunny just chews on his carrot and looks wise, because he knows what he will be when he grows up: a daddy rabbit. He will have lots of little bunny children to feed, to tickle, and to tuck int
Stacy
Feb 28, 2016 Stacy rated it it was amazing
My favorite childhood book!
Lauren
I adore these illustrations
Janice
Cute little book.
Uli
Jan 03, 2011 Uli added it
GoodReads has made an error here. There are 2 golden books with the title "The Bunny Book". They are completely different books. However, GoodReads has the cover of one of the books with the summary of the second. The book pictured on GoodReads was written by Patricia Scarry and illustrated by Richard Scarry. The book described was written and illustrated by Richard Scarry.

In any matter, Uli has both books.
Modboy
Jul 19, 2010 Modboy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Daddy's who read to their children. Illustration 101 students.
Beautifully detailed illustrations. I love the background images, how well everyone is dressed and how all the bunny gentlemen smoke pipes. The story depicts numerous occupations as each relative speculates about what baby bunny will be when he grows up. However baby bunny has his own idea: it involves one of the most important occupations of all.
Audrey
Aug 05, 2009 Audrey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 2-year olds
Recommended to Audrey by: myself
My 2-year old seems to like this book. The amount of text on each page is about at the upper limit of his attention span, though. Fortunately you can get away with just reading the first sentence and it still makes sense as a story. The pictures are good. He likes to point out familiar objects in the pictures, and label the family members.
W
Precious book! Absolutely adorable story, gorgeously illustrated, will MELT you. So unbelievably cute.

Sigh. The memories. Start them with your kids. Get this book.
Cariane
Feb 22, 2012 Cariane rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable to read. The use of repetition makes this book good for beginning reads because they will be able to memorize the words better. Very cute story.
AGV K
Mar 07, 2013 AGV K rated it liked it
My edition is cut out into the shape of the bunny's head. The "golden seal" is just a yellow spine with the normal golden books drawing along the side.
Andrea Guy
Mar 29, 2011 Andrea Guy rated it it was amazing
This book was one of my childhood favorites. I actually spend scads of money on Ebay to get a better copy of this one along with a few others.
Tara Calaby
Sep 06, 2015 Tara Calaby rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, own
I liked this because it was full of bunnies, and it's one that I've kept due to it being a childhood favourite.
sleeps9hours
Sep 06, 2015 sleeps9hours rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Really cute old-timey illustrations. Great story, bunny could be lots of things, but he really wants to be a father.
Ben
Jun 07, 2012 Ben rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A very cute and touching story about a little bunny that wants to be a daddy bunny when he grows up.
SeriouslyJerome
Mar 29, 2010 SeriouslyJerome rated it it was amazing
Scarry's illustrations captivated me as a child, & the images still come to my mind as an adult.
Goodreads Librari...: Need to separate two books called "The Bunny Book" 3 32 Nov 18, 2013 07:05AM
  • Home for a Bunny (a Big Little Golden Book)
  • Baby Animals (A Little Golden Book)
  • Prayers for Children
  • The Jolly Barnyard
  • The Fuzzy Duckling (a Little Golden Book)
  • Santa's Toy Shop (a Big Little Golden Book)
  • I Can Fly
  • The Happy Man and His Dump Truck
  • Tootle (a Little Golden Book)
  • My First Counting Book
  • Four Little Kittens (a Little Golden Book)
  • Best Little Word Book Ever
  • Tawny Scrawny Lion
  • The Little Duck
  • The Shy Little Kitten (Big Little Golden Book)
  • Doctor Dan: The Bandage Man

Little Golden Book (1 - 10 of 115 books)
  • 101 Dalmatians
  • ABC Is For Christmas (Little Golden Book)
  • Animal Daddies and My Daddy
  • Baby Dear (Little Golden Book)
  • Beach Day (a Little Golden Book)
  • Bible Stories From the Old Testament (A Little Golden Book)
  • The Big Enough Helper (a Little Golden Book)
  • The Biggest, Most Beautiful Christmas Tree