More Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: 200 Brand-New, Budget-Friendly, Slow-Cooker Recipes

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The New York Times bestselling author of slow-cooker cookbook Make It Fast, Cook It Slow returns with budget (and gluten-free!) meals that will satisfy the entire family. Stephanie O'Dea's 200 delicious recipes include
Baked Herbed Feta Smoky Bean and Corn Soup Maple-Glazed Pork Chops Moroccan Chicken with Lentils Apple-Pecan Bread Pudding Orange and Honey Tilapia Chocolate...more
Published December 28th 2010 by Hyperion

Raelena aka Throuthehaze
I love to cook, but here is the problem...I'm kiiiinda broke and honestly, I'm lazy (yeah, I will admit to that). If I can just throw stuff in a pot, come back 4-8 hours later and it is edible I am all for it. Slow-cookers are the way to go. This cook book has 200 recipes! All of them are simple and budget friendly. The majority of the ingredients for most of the recipes are things that I typically already have in the pantry. I really like the convenience of that.

The recipes are sorted by price:...more
Sarah Eiseman
This is the follow-up book to Make It Fast, Cook It Slow and is a great companion to the original book. What sets these two apart is that this book chunks recipes into price ranges that feed a family of four. It was a little confusing at first, but each chapter has the recipes listed on the first page, so if you are in a rush to find something to make there is a central location.
Cory
Dec 05, 2013 Cory rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: food, hcl
Plenty of cookbooks claim to be perfect for the busy, health-conscious parent - this one actually is. The slow-cooker is genuinely a lifesaver for some of us, and like O'Dea's first book, this one helps you get the max from it. The recipes are designed with gluten intolerance in mind, there's plenty of vegetarian options, and all consider both nutrition and price. And the majority are kid tested and approved.

I do have a couple of minor gripes, though. Stephanie O'Dea's concept of healthy doesn't...more
Dolly
Nov 28, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: slow cooker fans
I have been a big fan of Stephanie O'Dea's food blog, A Year of Slow Cooking for a couple of years now. As a working mom who treasures home-cooked family dinners, I couldn't survive without my crockpot. I have experimented some with my crockpot, but I must admit that I mainly stick to family favorites. When I look up a recipe on her website, it's usually to get directions for something I've already decided to make.

When I discovered that she'd written some cookbooks, I thought it'd be interestin...more
Naomi
I really enjoy this cookbook, but not as much as the author's first cookbook, Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking. She didn't have as many good recipes as the later one. The other thing that I found re: all O'dea cookbooks is that you can go on the author's blog and all the recipes are on there. I was able to print off the majority of the recipes I wanted to add to my collection without purchasing the cookbook.
Hilary
Loved her first book, which is what got me into making my own yogurt. This one focuses on budget friendly crock pot meals. Love crock pot stuff so I can focus on the kids during that bewitching hour of 4pm and not be stressed about what the heck I'm gonna cook for dinner. Btw, anyone have any good hints for meal planning? I am always trying new stuff, so the Master Meal Plan idea does not interest me.
Susan
I checked this out at the library & it's definitely on my "to buy" list. The recipes are quick, easy & cheap, which are three pluses for me. My only issue is that she sorted the recipes by cost rather than type & it's a little difficult to thumb through if your looking for a specific kind of dish.
Erin
Not as good as the original, I didn't love the layout as much. But still this is a great slowcooker book and while you don't think of using this as much in the spring and summer you should. Your delicious meal is read when you get home and you don't have to heat up your house using the oven
Lei
Although I have only made two of the recipes so far, there was a nice selection of recipes in this cookbook. The two recipes that I have tried (General TSO's Chicken and Red Potatoes with Rosemary and Garlic) were very tasty and the recipes were easy to throw together.
Darcy
While I haven't tried any of these recipes yet, I have marked about half to copy and try. I can't wait and will try to work one in a week. What I like about them is that the recipes look easy and the food is good comfort food.
Maryc
Another super recipe book for the slow cooker. Not quite as jam-packed as the first, but still has a bunch of great recipes. The apple crumb cake was fantastic.
Karen
Her first book was more fun to read, but this follow-up is also filled with some great looking crock-pot recipes, many of which are grain free, or easily adapted.
Christiana
This woman is my slow cooking God. So far made the sloppy lentils and they were really good! I plan to make even more. You should see the post-it tags I have in this!
Carolyn
Ok recipes. Not always healthful, and often lacking in flavor. I've picked through and tagged some favorites and will continue to refer back to them.
Rachel
Apr 20, 2013 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Got this from the library. It has a lot of cheap and easy recipes that I'd like to try. I'm thinking that this book will need to be purchased.
Holly
I love, as well as with her first cookbook, the recipes in this one!
I hate using my stove/oven and I love my crockpot
Heather
Since I loved the first one so much, I went and bought this one too.
Leigh
Not as good as the first one, but still useful.
Becky
Feb 19, 2011 Becky marked it as to-read
Book #2!
Rhoda
Rhoda marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Brenda Wilson
Brenda Wilson marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Penny
Penny added it
Jun 21, 2014
Dipak
Dipak marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
2040920
STEPHANIE O’DEA is a New York Times best-selling author and award-winning blogger who has been featured on Rachael Ray and Good Morning America. Her websites garner over a million hits a month, and she currently has over 60,000 email subscribers.
More about Stephanie O'Dea...
Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking 365 Slow Cooker Suppers Totally Together: Shortcuts to an Organized Life