Start by marking “The Now Habit at Work: Perform Optimally, Maintain Focus, and Ignite Motivation in Yourself and Others” as Want to Read:

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Increase productivity, efficiency, and full-brain power when you apply "Now Habit "strategies to your business

What if working harder, stressing more, and putting in more hours aren't the secret to success? What if truly effective managers, entrepreneurs, and businesspeople simply use more of their brain to make creative decisions, work in the zone, and live more fully in t
Published July 16th 2010 by Wiley (first published July 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Now Habit at Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Now Habit at Work

I found this book very helpful in tackling the aspect of procrastination. I really liked the advice, "just get started. the last time you start is the time you'll finish." I am still working on breaking the habit of saying, "I have to... "I need to...." etc. I did feel like this was a book geared more so at managers, which I am not, and look forward to reading more of his other books focused on self-motivation.
Clara
Surprise! A self-help book that's helpful. Neil Fiore is a psychologist who did much of his doctoral work on issues related to procrastination, which means he actually knows a good deal about the subject of the book. He begins by addressing the underlying reasons why we procrastinate. For instance, in some situations, procrastination can seem like a way to control the anger we feel toward a boss or a spouse, though we may not recognize or acknowledge our passive/aggressive behavior.

Some of the s
Walk
Not a great deal of new material but it is not the fault of the author I happen to have read other books in this genre.

It represents a good introduction to the subject and focuses on practical methodology rather than gimmick and downright cobblers.

I would have liked to have read this book rather earlier in my exploration of this interesting subject.
Ben
I am reflexively ill-disposed to books of the 'self help' variety as a general rule. I forget how I got the impression, but somewhere along the way I was pretty sure I saw "The Now Habit" get mentioned on Less Wrong or Overcoming Bias in a positive light. This book was by the same guy and shorter, so I decided I should read it. Naturally, I procrastinated for months before actually cracking the book open and trying to read it. Ultimately, I am glad I did. I found myself resisting some of the con ...more
Barbara Brockhaus
Good but not a lot new. Just get started. Focus on the positive.
Renee Hauge
A definite disappointment after reading the excellent The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play . I was expecting more... much more. This was a 2.5 star book for me but I'm rounding up to 3 due to my admiration for the original Now Habit book and its author.
Jessi
Gives good examples of how people trip themselves up at work. Also speaks to managers who might be in charge of those people.
One of the main, most interesting ideas for was to eliminate the phrase "have to" from your vocabulary. Those two words can make a task seem more complicated and unappealing than it needs to be.
There is an appendix at the end of the book which covers the key ideas and can be used for a quick review.

Michelle (tinyturtle88)
This book was just OK. It was a quick listen, being only 4 discs. It didn't contain any long lost secrets to getting things done overnight. It was very upbeat and optimistic about doing the opposite of what hasn't been working. Taking small doable chunks of intimidating and daunting projects. Covered a lot of self talk on procrastination. It's what someone might want to listen to right before committing to a New Year's Resolution.
Derek Neighbors
Some really great content especially surrounding the psychology of procrastination. Really interested in the various mindsets we take and how profoundly they can affect our behavior. Trying to be much more purposeful in decisions around my work. Doing some experiments and trying to improve my mindset. Worth reading even though it can get slow in spots.
James Marsh
Not too long. Spends quite a bit of time on the why of procrastination and how it relates to self talk and how we find self esteem.

It takls about creating an "Unschedule" to schedule our rest and relaxation and offers some relaxation techniques to fire off productive time.
Jeffrey
Good positive self help management type book. I generally consider a business book worthwhile if I can glean two or three ideas to build on, this had that and then some. Easy read and audio was well done also. I would consider it time well spent.
Don Weidinger
shift act, release anxiety keep starting, Drucker Eff Leadership, listen tell me more, month qtr goals, marshmellow test, do delegate dump, choices build self esteem, push vs pull, expectations get what expect, self acceptance.
Kana
The positive approach, which made the reader think about 'why' they felt the need to procrastinate, was very refreshing. And helpful. It allowed me to think about how to treat the reason, not just force myself to work.
Brandon Carlson
Forgettable. About 1 month after I read this I couldn't retain any of it.
George
Lots of good tips. Now how can I apply them all the time?
Rosie
Meh. Nothing new.
Xiao Du
pretty good
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Liz Linton
Liz Linton is currently reading it
May 08, 2015
Lynn Flye mccord
Lynn Flye mccord is currently reading it
May 07, 2015
Dogsmom Laura
Dogsmom Laura marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Ildefonso
Ildefonso marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Amanda Wilch
Amanda Wilch marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Katie Bowers
Katie Bowers marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Leon Ormes
Leon Ormes marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
  • Total Workday Control Using Microsoft Outlook
  • Making It All Work: Winning at the Game of Work and Business of Life
  • The Victory Season: The End of World War II and the Birth of Baseball's Golden Age
  • Time Management for System Administrators
  • 101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions
  • Favre
  • Baseball and Philosophy: Thinking Outside the Batter's Box
  • Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake: Practicing the Perfections of the Heart--The Buddhist Path of Kindness
  • Hank Greenberg: The Hero of Heroes
  • Write Is a Verb: Sit Down, Start Writing, No Excuses
  • The Genius of Language: Fifteen Writers Reflect on Their Mother Tongue
  • The Procrastination Equation: How to Stop Putting Things Off and Start Getting Stuff Done
  • Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Legends: The Truth, the Lies, and Everything Else
  • The Mental Game of Baseball: A Guide to Peak Performance
  • Waiting for the Weekend
  • A Life In Hand
  • Heart of the Game: Life, Death, and Mercy in Minor League America
  • Feeling Good Together: The Secret to Making Troubled Relationships Work
The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play Awaken Your Strongest Self: Break Free of Stress, Inner Conflict, and Self-Sabotage Conquering Procrastination: How to Stop Stalling & Start Achieving! Now Habit Motivation Cards Conquering Test Anxiety