Start by marking “The Now Habit at Work: Perform Optimally, Maintain Focus, and Ignite Motivation in Yourself and Others” as Want to Read:

Increase productivity, efficiency, and full-brain power when you apply Now Habit strategies to your business

What if working harder, stressing more, and putting in more hours aren't the secret to success? What if truly effective managers, entrepreneurs, and businesspeople simply use more of their brain to make creative decisions, work in the zone, and live more fully in the
Published July 16th 2010 by Wiley (first published July 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Now Habit at Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Now Habit at Work

Nov 23, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
I found this book very helpful in tackling the aspect of procrastination. I really liked the advice, "just get started. the last time you start is the time you'll finish." I am still working on breaking the habit of saying, "I have to... "I need to...." etc. I did feel like this was a book geared more so at managers, which I am not, and look forward to reading more of his other books focused on self-motivation.
Hillary roberts
Apr 08, 2016 Hillary roberts rated it liked it
my review

I really got to start paying more attention to the books I order from the library. I meant to get "The Now Habit." I found it on a productivity site and thought it sounded interesting. Alas, I wasn't paying attention and ended up with this book. There is nothing groundbreaking in this book. It just tells you to focus on your "priorities" which I am clearly not doing as I should be working on a freelance writing thingie, but instead, I am here typing up book reviews. ANYWAY This is just to get m
Clara
May 31, 2012 Clara rated it really liked it
Surprise! A self-help book that's helpful. Neil Fiore is a psychologist who did much of his doctoral work on issues related to procrastination, which means he actually knows a good deal about the subject of the book. He begins by addressing the underlying reasons why we procrastinate. For instance, in some situations, procrastination can seem like a way to control the anger we feel toward a boss or a spouse, though we may not recognize or acknowledge our passive/aggressive behavior.

Some of the s
Ben
Oct 30, 2012 Ben rated it liked it
I am reflexively ill-disposed to books of the 'self help' variety as a general rule. I forget how I got the impression, but somewhere along the way I was pretty sure I saw "The Now Habit" get mentioned on Less Wrong or Overcoming Bias in a positive light. This book was by the same guy and shorter, so I decided I should read it. Naturally, I procrastinated for months before actually cracking the book open and trying to read it. Ultimately, I am glad I did. I found myself resisting some of the ...more
Chris Ross
I listened to the audio book and did not like it at first though it grew on me after a while. Neil Fiore does have some pretty good ideas to avoid procrastination as well as challenging and changing your self-talk.

Instead of saying things like I have to do this say When can I start? Instead of delaying things/jobs/projects you don't like tackle them first though break them into 15-20-30 minute chunks and just start doing them and then take a break and do something else.

Fiore has come up with t
Helga
Stop wasting time blaming yourself for what you could've done. Move on and focus on what you can do now to correct it. Be motivated by pain, positive feelings and ownership! Lose your ego and focus on solutions. Honor each task with transitions. Take deep breaths. Focus not on when you can finish but just keep starting. 15 minutes of starting something makes all the difference. Makes sense to me. Now to apply in real life...
Michelle (tinyturtle88)
This book was just OK. It was a quick listen, being only 4 discs. It didn't contain any long lost secrets to getting things done overnight. It was very upbeat and optimistic about doing the opposite of what hasn't been working. Taking small doable chunks of intimidating and daunting projects. Covered a lot of self talk on procrastination. It's what someone might want to listen to right before committing to a New Year's Resolution.
Renee
Jan 30, 2015 Renee rated it liked it
A definite disappointment after reading the excellent The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play . I was expecting more... much more. This was a 2.5 star book for me but I'm rounding up to 3 due to my admiration for the original Now Habit book and its author.
Jessi
Gives good examples of how people trip themselves up at work. Also speaks to managers who might be in charge of those people.
One of the main, most interesting ideas for was to eliminate the phrase "have to" from your vocabulary. Those two words can make a task seem more complicated and unappealing than it needs to be.
There is an appendix at the end of the book which covers the key ideas and can be used for a quick review.

Derek Neighbors
Some really great content especially surrounding the psychology of procrastination. Really interested in the various mindsets we take and how profoundly they can affect our behavior. Trying to be much more purposeful in decisions around my work. Doing some experiments and trying to improve my mindset. Worth reading even though it can get slow in spots.
Bradley
Dec 13, 2014 Bradley rated it liked it
Shelves: better-me
Not a great deal of new material but it is not the fault of the author I happen to have read other books in this genre.

It represents a good introduction to the subject and focuses on practical methodology rather than gimmick and downright cobblers.

I would have liked to have read this book rather earlier in my exploration of this interesting subject.
Jeffrey
Oct 01, 2013 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Good positive self help management type book. I generally consider a business book worthwhile if I can glean two or three ideas to build on, this had that and then some. Easy read and audio was well done also. I would consider it time well spent.
Don Weidinger
Dec 23, 2012 Don Weidinger rated it really liked it
shift act, release anxiety keep starting, Drucker Eff Leadership, listen tell me more, month qtr goals, marshmellow test, do delegate dump, choices build self esteem, push vs pull, expectations get what expect, self acceptance.
James Marsh
Nov 14, 2012 James Marsh rated it liked it
Not too long. Spends quite a bit of time on the why of procrastination and how it relates to self talk and how we find self esteem.

It takls about creating an "Unschedule" to schedule our rest and relaxation and offers some relaxation techniques to fire off productive time.
Kana
Oct 19, 2011 Kana rated it really liked it
The positive approach, which made the reader think about 'why' they felt the need to procrastinate, was very refreshing. And helpful. It allowed me to think about how to treat the reason, not just force myself to work.
Jo
Feb 09, 2016 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the few things I've read on procrastination that I actually found helpful and motivational.
Azita Rassi
Apr 22, 2016 Azita Rassi rated it really liked it
Very applicable. A bit drawn-out. I listened to the audiobook and wasn't particularly impressed by the performance.
Carlos
Carlos rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2012
Barbara Brockhaus
Dec 24, 2014 Barbara Brockhaus rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Good but not a lot new. Just get started. Focus on the positive.
Galaxy Siii
Galaxy Siii rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2013
Victoria Logan
Victoria Logan rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2014
Pat
Pat rated it it was ok
Dec 07, 2014
Tabitha
Tabitha rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2010
Regina Lewis
Regina Lewis rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2014
Gildoth
Gildoth rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2016
Brandon Carlson
Apr 21, 2013 Brandon Carlson rated it liked it
Forgettable. About 1 month after I read this I couldn't retain any of it.
Jon Evans
Jon Evans rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Ray Haug
Ray Haug rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2013
Ignacy
Ignacy rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Taking Life Head On! (the Hal Elrod Story)
  • Time Management for System Administrators
  • A Life In Hand
  • Making It All Work: Winning at the Game of Work and Business of Life
  • Reading, Writing, and Leaving Home: Life on the Page
  • To Have And To Hold: An Intimate History Of Collectors and Collecting
  • Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake: Practicing the Perfections of the Heart--The Buddhist Path of Kindness
  • Starlight Detectives: How Astronomers, Inventors, and Eccentrics Discovered the Modern Universe
  • Grit: How to Keep Going When You Want to Give Up
  • Last Harvest: How a Cornfield Became New Daleville: Real Estate Development in America from George Washington to the Builders of the Twenty-First Century, and Why We Live in Houses Anyway
  • The Tulip