Start by marking “What If There Were No Bees?: A Book about the Grassland Ecosystem” as Want to Read:
What If There Were No Bees?: A Book about the Grassland Ecosystem

What If There Were No Bees?: A Book about the Grassland Ecosystem

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  41 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Grassland ecosystems can be found on nearly every continent. Countless animals and plants live in them. So what difference could the loss of one animal species make? Follow the chain reaction, and discover how important honey bees are.
Published August 1st 2010 by Picture Window Books (first published July 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about What If There Were No Bees?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What If There Were No Bees?

Carissa Gelinas
Info #2
"What If There Were No Bees?: A Book about the Grassland Ecosystem" could be paired with "What is Pollination?" in a science class as an informational text or for a project. Both texts are very similar because they talk about pollination and bees. They talk about how important pollination is to the ecosystem. "What If There Were No Bees?: A Book about the Grassland Ecosystem" focuses more on what would happen to the ecosystem and food chain if one of the species was to become extinct.
Madie Marie
Mar 14, 2016 Madie Marie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: information
Information book number 1: This books discusses all the things that bees do from pollinating plants to allowing foods to grow for other animals. However, it also looks at possible causes of why bees are dying and what would happen if there weren't anymore bees. This book has a lot of good information and written with pictures that accompany the text to give a full and easy to understand concept of what would happen without bees.
Alex Wulfekuhle
Mar 15, 2016 Alex Wulfekuhle rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational
This book is not only very informational, but also vital to a students learning. When I was younger, I hated bees, and I would always try to kill their beehives and bees, because I felt like they were a nuisance to society. I feel like that is the case with younger children, as they don't really understand the importance of bees and why we need them. This could be tied into a great science study in an elementary classroom.
Alicia Lawrence
Mar 14, 2016 Alicia Lawrence rated it really liked it
Informational book 1

This books has a lot of information about bees and how important they are to the grassland ecosystem. You would not think that bees are so important and how they do so much for the food chain! This is a great book that teaches children not only about bees, but about the grassland ecosystem.
Lia
Informational Book #1

This book talked about the bee's life and how much they affect the world. Bees are an essential part of our world and I had no idea how important they are. I absolutely hate bees but now I am really grateful for them because without them there would be no flowers, fruits, and honey!
Samantha
This book is perfect for a lesson on food webs, ecosystems, bees, or the circle of life. Every page has a "critical box" that goes into more detail on the discussed topic. This book is part of a series that discusses the different ecosystems and an endangered animal that is located within it.
Sunday
Jun 26, 2012 Sunday rated it really liked it
The critical role of honeybees to the grassland ecosystem is clearly conveyed with simple language and vivid illustrations. As Slade describes what would happen to plants and animals if there were no honeybees, Schwartz’s illustrations for the plants and creatures become black silhouettes in the following pages. The text and illustrations work together to reinforce how devastating the loss of honeybees would be for the grasslands. There are helpful features located at the end of the book includi ...more
Alex
Mar 14, 2016 Alex added it
Shelves: picture-books
Bees are a very important animal in our ecosystem. Without them there would not be as many seeds and berries for other animals, and the flowers and different crops would not be pollinated, which would cause them to die off.
Jill Wolf
Mar 26, 2016 Jill Wolf rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational
Informational Book #1
This book is about how having no bees would change the grassland ecosystem and the animals/plants included in it. It discusses how food chains can be disrupted by describing a bee's role. By showing all that bees do, it is easier to see how the loss of bees would be detrimental to the ecosystem.
Matt Vagts
Informational Book #1
This book talks about the importance of bees. It talks about what they do for the grassland ecosystem and what life would be like if there were no bees anymore.
Ivy Howey
What if we lost all the bees? This book takes readers on a journey through grasslands to show us how important just one species can be. Slade, S., & Schwartz, C. (2011). What if there were no bees?: a book about the grassland ecosystem. Mankato, MN: Picture Window Books.

This would be a book that I would recommend to teachers who are teaching conservation, preservation or environments in Science. (K-3)

Wilson's Children 09/01/11
Julia Buffington
This book is mainly informational with very interesting illustrations. It teaches the reader that without bees, many things in the world would not exist. Bees play a big part in making the world go round.
Teri
Kind of a unique book--nice discussion about food chains and keystone species.
Alexandria Tiedtke
Oct 12, 2014 Alexandria Tiedtke rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Science Book and Beautiful Illustrations. Non Fiction!
Jasmine
Sep 17, 2012 Jasmine rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to read to students especially during a science lesson on the Ecosystem. This book breaks down the importance of bees in our ecosystem and how they help our environment. This book is very appealing yet, interesting to students and it will easily catch their attention. I would recommend this book to any teacher. I think this book would be a great to share with the class to give information and to find out how much do your students know about bess and how how they help us dail ...more
Christine Turner
Jun 08, 2012 Christine Turner rated it it was amazing

Subjects

Bees -- Control -- Environmental aspects -- United States -- Juvenile literature.

Pollination by insects -- Juvenile literature.

Agricultural ecology -- United States -- Juvenile literature.

Juv Nonfiction 577.4 Sla
Dubovoyalena
K-3, this book can be encorporated in the study of ecosystems. It also demonsrates the way life is connected. great book for HOTs questions.
CFAITC
A book about the grassland ecosystem showing what would happen to the ecosystem if bees disappeared.
Oct 15, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Bee tissue paper project.
Tiph
Jan 18, 2015 Tiph rated it liked it
Cool, simplistic book on the Grassland Ecosystem.
ForemanTeaches
ForemanTeaches marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Kristen Doberer
Kristen Doberer marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Amber Lund
Amber Lund is currently reading it
Apr 13, 2016
Susana Sanchez
Susana Sanchez marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Melissa Leech
Melissa Leech rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Karin Lewis
Karin Lewis marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016