Start by marking “La Ciudad Esmeralda (Alfa y Omega, #2)” as Want to Read:
La Ciudad Esmeralda (Alfa y Omega, #2)

La Ciudad Esmeralda (Alpha & Omega #2)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  36,038 ratings  ·  1,275 reviews
Anna Latham no sabía lo complicada que podía llegar a ser la vida hasta que se convirtió en una mujer lobo. Y hasta casarse con Charles Cornick, el hijo –y ejecutor– de Bran, el líder de los hombres lobo de Norte América, no sabía que podía llegar a ser tan peligrosa…

Anna y Charles deben asistir a una importante reunión para presentar la polémica propuesta de Bran: hacer p
Published June 2nd 2010 by Versatil Ediciones (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about La Ciudad Esmeralda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Ciudad Esmeralda

Mel
First I'd like to comment that the description on Goodreads is not a good description of the contents of the book (you'll see what I mean after you've read it) and does not match the description on the book jacket, which is a much better summary:
“Anna Latham didn’t know how complicated life could be until she became a werewolf. And until she was mated to Charles Cornick, the son- and enforcer- of Bran, the leader of the North American werewolves, she didn’t know how dangerous it could be either.
Rachel ♥Reads Ravenously♥
3 Omega stars

“She was his and he hers.”

photo collagehuntingground.png

“Women are the bloodthirsty sex. We get the reputation, but it is only because the women stand behind us, and say, 'Kill it. Squish it.”

One month after they are mated and married, werewolves Anna and Charles must travel to Seattle to oversee a conference where the wolves discuss the issue of becoming open to the public. While they are there, hired vampire assassins begin attacking the Omega's, human and wolf.

This one took me a while to get throug
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
I am glad I took my time reading this. I think there are so many levels to this novel that I could miss if I breezed through. I like how simple Briggs writes. Not a lot of nonsense, extraneous prose that bogs down the story. Despite her concise narrative, she conveys so much, filling the novel with an emotional power. Her characters have a distinct feel to them from other writers. I like that she puts their flaws out there unashamedly, and it makes you love the characters even more.

I will freel
MelissaB
Jan 31, 2014 MelissaB rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: werewolf romance fans who like a little mystery in their books
Hunting Ground is the third entry into the Alpha and Omega series. The first story was "Alpha and Omega" in the On the Prowl anthology and the second was a stand alone book, Cry Wolf. The series follows Anna and Charles after they meet in the first book and find out they are mates, then they must work their way through learning to accept the mating bond and work out their life together.

Anna was abused by her first pack which features heavily in the story as she tries to overcome her emotional sc
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

HUNTING GROUND had a lot of interesting morsels in it from both a mythology and a story standpoint; readers get to learn about fae, vampires and dragons (!!!), witness firsthand how Bran’s decision to bring the werewolves out to the public came to be, and observe the continuing evolution of Anna & Charles’ relationship. No author does light/dark quite like Patricia Briggs, and this audiobook really emblazoned that fact by putting these preternaturals’ best and worst
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
I'm too bored to write a full review right now so...

1) Loved the story. The relationship keeps developing between Charles and Anna and I think that it's the first time I've been able to actually see so clearly how a relationship progresses in a series.
2) In this book we have fairies, vamps, trolls, wolves. All the nice nasties I love in my books.
3) I wanted more Bran!:(
4) For some reason I didn't like Ric at all.
5) I loved Moira and Arthur.
6) The book was fast paced and well-written. I wasn't bo
Zeek
omygosh what a great, oddly romantic book. Love how the author displayed Charles's strength- even in his vulnerability. Love how she empowered Anna. Love how their love empowered them both.

I know I'm all gushy right now, so let me get to my review:

The continuing story of Charles and Anna, newly mated werewolves tentatively learning to trust their feelings and the truemate bonding that holds them together. In Hunting Ground, Alpha of Alpha's Bran sends his son Charles and his new daughter-in-law
AH
Werewolf politics and intrigue are the highlight of this novel. Charles and Anna are sent to Seattle on behalf of Bran to negotiate the “coming out” of the werewolf population. The wolves of North America and Europe are represented in this negotiation. Not all the wolves are happy with this situation, and a lot of Alpha wolves in one place is a recipe for trouble. The talks are to be mediated by a fae Gray Lord, Dana.

There was a huge cast of characters in this book and it was interesting to lear
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Wow. I didn’t think this series could get any better, but it just did. Hunting Ground was amazing!! I love the way Briggs writes. There’s this ease to it and it’s always just a natural progression of the storyline. It’s never pulling or straining. All the characters continue to grow in a way that is gradual, but still very evident.

And Anna is the perfect example of that. I remember complaining back in the Alpha &Omega novella that she was too skittish and broken. But she has come so far in s
Kathleen
Tense, fast-paced, and emotionally gripping, Hunting Ground is set in Seattle. First stop, a city landmark: a huge stone troll guarding his turf beneath the Fremont Street underpass. Photos don't do justice to the SIZE of this thing, clutching a real VW Bug in one hand. See troll here: http://openplac.es/trips/the-fremont-...

CHARACTERS: Charles and Anna and a mix of secondary characters (including Moira and Tom, introduced in the prequel Seeing Eyes, a short story in the Strange Brew anthology).
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
It is funny how a series can sneak up on you and before you know it, you are completely wrapped up in it and in the lives and outcome of the characters.

I never thought this would be that series for me. I picked it up on a whim wanting something different, something fun, and something involving werewolves, something I really don't read all that often.

Before I knew it I was pretty hooked on the series. There was just something so alluring about Anna and Charles' relationship that I couldn't help
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
Patricia Briggs has once again ensnared me, I LOVED this book!

Huntung Ground is set just before the werewolves come out to the public and Charles and Anna go to a meeting with all the European werewolves to soothe some fears...not that it works out that way of course. I thought it was a little better then Cry Wolf, mainly because I found the story a bit more interesting there was more to get into as it was slightly more complex.

It also shows Charles and Anna's developing relationship. Part of
Leah

Hunting Ground is the second book in the "Alpha & Omega" series, written by Patricia Briggs and continues with the story of Charles and Anna. In this book, they go to a summit in Seattle in Bran's place (after much arguing on Charles's part), where they must deal with the concerns of the European werewolves concerning Bran's plan to make werewolves known to the world. And, let me tell you, it's quite the violent ride. There is much death and underhanded sneakiness in Hunting Ground,
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Awesome. Just awesome.

This was just perfection in an audiobook. The reader, Holter Graham, again slammed-dunked it with a spot on narration. The way he does each voice so distinctly and uniquely and manages to give each sentence the right tone... I just love it. I only want to listen to this series in audiobook.

This is the rare breed of UF with a heroine who is not the least bit annoying. She is strong and drama-free and I could read about her all day long. I liked that the focus of the story
Lisa Kay
★★★★★ Wow! All I can say is this book is cool. I just love “Anna Latham Cornick, mate of Charles Cornick, Omega of the Aspen Creek Pack. Wolf. Sister. Daughter. Lover. Beloved.” Remember, knowing a person’s name is powerful magic. And that is all the hint of this plot you are going to get out of me! This one is delicious. Just enough clues sprinkled throughout for me to guess some of them and still leave enough mystery to unfold. Plus, enough realism in the human relationship between two lonely, ...more
Anzu The Great Destroyer
For her sake, he would destroy the world

I have no idea why I can’t simply get into this series. I try and try and try and I keep on getting bored and trying to postpone reading it. I managed to do it by parts, which sucks for me. I like to read my books from start to finish and focus on them. Hunting Ground was a side-read to three other books. This explains why I can’t even write a proper review for it. I can’t remember much. I also skimmed a lot, which is why I won’t even bother with getting
Angela
Of the first three stories (Alpha & Omega, Cry Wolf, and Hunting Ground) this is definitely the most romantic. The pacing of the story is tight and moves along quickly, and we really get a chance to delve into the politics of the werewolves - around the world. At the same time we get to know Charles and Anna even better, and watch their relationship grow, which is my favorite part.

Anna still has some issues with the abuse she suffered at the hands of her old pack. I love how Patricia Briggs
Tilly Slaton
Hunting Ground is the third installment of the Alpha and Omega series.

I absolutely love shapeshifter paranormal romance books! I can’t get enough of them. Anything unknown, unusual or more than likely “impossible” really snatches me and holds on tight until I am finished with the book or entire series.

On the Prowl # 1 and Cry Wolf # 2 of this series were positively phenomenal. I loved every word of both books and found myself putting off chores around the house and time-consuming errands so that
Alkyoni

Second book in the Alpha & Omega series, or rather third, since the novella that is part of the “On the Prowl” anthology is, if not essential, then enlightening to the better understanding of the characters.

In Hunting Ground, the Marrok has decided that it’s time to bring the wolves out of the closet to the world but the European Alphas object strongly. When a meeting with the European leaders is set in Seattle, Charles and Anna attend it as Bran’s representatives. The mated couple is still
Susana
Feb 26, 2015 Susana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy fans
Recommended to Susana by: Patricia Lopes
4,5 stars

Although taking place in the same place as the "Mercedes Thompson" world, for me this series has a completely different voice of "Mercy's". There my initial problem in getting "involved" in this one.
This series provides the ground on which both series take place.
Political questions, also known as the dynamics between packs, are perfectly detailed in "A&O" series.
It also gives much more focus to the romance between Anna and Charles, as it couldn't help doing, since they had a flamin
Bry
Read August 2009:
First off: Just so you know the description goodreads gives of this book isn't all that accurate. It doesn't match whats on the back of the book either. Its way better than what the description makes it out to be.

The first Alpha and Omega book was pretty good but just didn't compare to the Mercy Thompson series, but this one was so much better!

This time around the characters got to be explored in more depth and the action was much more suspenseful with all of the politics and m
Dolly
4.5 Stars!!!

I've been re-reading this series on audio and am so very glad I did. Somehow or other I missed Hunting Ground the first time around.

What I liked: I've finally come to peace with this narrator. Mr Graham is excellent at it but his different voices didn't always ring true. Either I've gotten used to him or he's improved. Either way it's a win-win situation.

I like Hunting Ground because Anna and Charles seem more of a couple since everything about their mating happened so fast. I'm fina
Kimba

Hunting Ground had a little of everything from relationship growth to a crime in which Charles ends up the prime suspect. Witches, Fae, Vampires and plots abound. While Briggs’ gave us several suspects, I will admit to piecing things together before the reveal.
“Charles looked at her thoughtfully.” People talk to you," he said. "That could be us
Olga Godim
A conference of European werewolves takes place in Seattle. Only Patricia Briggs could come up with the concept. The topic of the conference is the decision of the American werewolves’ leader, the Marrok, to come out of the closet and declare the werewolves’ existence to the general population. The Europeans are not happy with the Marrok’s decision, and tempers run high in the conference hall. And outside too, as the political intrigues and the personal agendas clash under the rainy sky of Seatt ...more
Angela
A quick note about the audio and then I'm just going to copy my previous review, because I'm not sure I can say it any better than that.

Of the first three audiobooks in this series, this is definitely the best. Charles has a more natural voice, and the weird pauses are almost entirely eliminated. I was able to sink into the story for the first time since I started the audio of the Alpha & Omega series. So, yay!

Review:
Of the first three stories (Alpha & Omega, Cry Wolf, and Hunting Groun
Beanbag Love
I liked this one so much more than the first in the series. The story was more cohesive and the leads were much more likable.

These stories belong to both Charles and Anna, but I see a lot more focus on Anna. She's the one evolving the most in the shortest amount of time. Charles's evolution is more subtle and the need is not as apparent. In this, the second installment of Briggs's "Alpha and Omega" series, the balance of the two characters is just right.

I did figure out who one of the main vill
LiteraryLover
In Hunting Ground, it takes place shortly after the previous book in the series. Charles and Bran have been fighting for a while now over the big meeting of the werewolves. This meeting is about Bran's intention to out himself and the other werewolves to the public. Bran still intends to do so regardless of what the other Alpha's say, but it's an important show of diplomacy to have the meeting anyways. Charles has a bad feeling about this and doesn't want Bran to go. With some help from Anna, Br ...more
Catherine
"You are a remarkable man, Charles Cornick."

He wrapped his arms around her shoulders and put his chin on top of her head. "I know," he confided lightly. "And often underappreciated by those who don't know any better."

The long anticipated release of Fair Game is fast approaching, so it's time for me to brush up on the latest happenings of Charles and Anna’s world with a reread. I need to be back in the know when I crack open the new release. And I have to say, it is just so good to be back in thi
Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽
This story is another adventure that Anna and Charles are involved in. They travel to Seattle to attend a conference with mostly European werewolves discussing the politics of them "coming out". This is really hard on both Anna and Charles ~ Anna because she has a hard time being around Alpha werewolves and Charles because he is torn between being involved in the conference and protecting Anna.

It was really interesting to find out about all the other werewolves. I loved Tom and Moira together a
Jamie
Disappointing. Briggs is usually a much better read than this. These books are half paranormal romance and half urban fantasy, set in the same universe as the far superior Mercedes Thompson series, with a few overlapping characters.

There is the occasional flash of Briggs goodness here: I liked Ric, the new Omega werewolf, and I like Tom and Moira (who first appear in a short story in the Strange Brew collection, a story that is better than this novel). But the plot is weak and the writing is cho
Not Now...We're R...: Hunting Ground Twitter Chat starting now... 1 1 Feb 13, 2015 06:33PM
Next Book? 15 233 Jun 17, 2014 01:12PM
Buddy Read Zone: Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega #2) 94 15 Jan 18, 2014 02:40AM
SOS: Serious Over...: July Buddy Read: Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs 19 16 Jul 15, 2012 11:38PM
Patricia Briggs Fans: Hunting Ground (Book 2) 13 74 Jan 06, 2012 02:00PM
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Mortal Sins (World of the Lupi, #5)
  • Curran, Vol. II: Fathers and Sons (Curran POV, #2)
  • Kitty Raises Hell (Kitty Norville #6)
  • Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2)
  • Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2)

Patricia Briggs was born in Butte, Montana to a children’s librarian who passed on to her kids a love of reading and books. Patricia grew up reading fairy tales and books about horses, and later developed an interest in folklore and history. When she decided to write a book of her own, a fantasy book seemed a na
More about Patricia Briggs...

Alpha & Omega (5 books)
  • Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1)
  • Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3)
  • Dead Heat (Alpha & Omega, #4)
  • Untitled (Alpha & Omega, #5)
Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3) Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2) Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5) Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)

“Women are the bloodthirsty sex," said Ric sadly. "We get the reputation, but it is only because the women stand behind us, and say, 'Kill it. Squish it.” 500 likes
“My grandfather would have loved to have met you," he told her huskily. "He would have called you 'She Moves Trees Out of His Path.' "

She looked lost, but his da laughed. He'd known the old man, too.

"He called me 'He Who Must Run into Trees,'" Charles explained, and in a spirit of honesty, a need for his mate to know who he was, he continued, "or sometimes 'Running Eagle.' "

" 'Running Eagle'?" Anna puzzled it over, frowning at him. "What's wrong with that?"

"Too stupid to fly," murmured his father with a little smile.”
341 likes