Start by marking “Welcome, Chaos” as Want to Read:
Welcome, Chaos

Welcome, Chaos

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  33 reviews
What would happen to the precarious balance of power if scientists could extend life for centuries? If one power bloc had biological protection against radiation & the other did not? Whose thumb would press the button first?
When Lyle Taney took leave from her teaching job to live high in the mountains, researching the ways of eagles, she was just planning to write her
Published March 1985 by Berkley Publishing Group (NYC) (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Welcome, Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome, Chaos

fromcouchtomoon
To be reviewed for @SFRuminations big Wilhelm blog bash in April. A living vintage author deserving of such attention.
Karyn
This is one of Kate Wilhelm's earlier sci-fi (the current-day medical/science version of sci-fi, not Star Trek sci-fi) novels, before she got into mystery/sci-fi blends. It was an intriguing plot concept 20 years ago - a serum that can stop the aging process, which cold war factions are fighting over - now used to death in both novels and movies.

KW's novels involve a lot of natural landscape description and psychological exploration. She's an incredibly descriptive and thoughtful writer, leadin
Nick
(re-reading novels after a decade+ first read, ones you really enjoyed, are like returning to an old friend, and also to a time/place in the past...always a pleasure and one of the many reasons I physically keep the books I read).

Wilhelm's mid-80s novel is difficult to 'review' without spoilers. I'll say this: the first half and last quarter of the novel are well-defined in plot, but the 3rd quartile falters. Technically, i.e. the 'SF' part of the novel, is light on the science, and would not h
Diane
The story develops an interesting premise - that a cure is discovered which immunizes individuals from the effects of aging and from the effects of radiation. However too much of the book is spent on the internal thoughts and reactions of the main character, and although there was suspense I was dissatisfied with the ending. I have enjoyed Wilhelm's other books, but not so much this one.
Linda
Welcome Chaos is a thought provoking novel that prompts the reader to examine the way in which the world as we know it could become something else entirely in the blink of an eye. And there are no easy answers to the questions it proposes.
John
Lyle Taney, a 30-something historian, has her life changed forever when she's drawn into events by an ex-CIA spy, who has learned of a conspiracy among scientists to keep a fantastic discovery out of the hands of governments and corporations. Part science-fiction, part espionage thriller, and part paean to the liberal arts, this is a marvelous tale! It was written at the start of the Reagan years, and takes place just a couple years later. Having grown up during the Cold War, and witnessed its e ...more
Ambyr
There's a story here, really there is. There's the serum and the relationships and the development... but that's not the backbone of this book. This book is deep.
Yes, there's Lyle and Carmen and Sol, there's the rest of the group later on... but the real depth of this book is in the emotions, the reasoning, how it resonates with you. THAT is what I really liked about this book. It was like the author had a though, an abstract idea, but no way to really tell you this idea, so she created a story
M—
When I was sixteen and travelling cross country, I stopped into a rummage shop and came away with this book. It's been one of the most random finds I've ever read.

It's really a very interesting book with a plot that is more philosophical than scifi. I found the characterization to be particuarly vivid, and certain passages have stuck with me for years.

I don't quite agree with the way it ended. Things are wrapped up too tidily but are simultaneously too ill planned. Even as a teen, I remember c
Teesa
I understand how many readers regard this as their favorite Kate Wilhelm novel. Lyle Taney is not young and beautiful. She is talented and more than capable. She is asked to leave her teaching job, move to the Oregon coast and, oh, yeah, spy on her neighbors. Determined to follow her own path, she's lead on an adventure she's not prepared for. A satisfying read.
Tony Atkins
"Welcome, Chaos" tracks the accidental development of an indefinite life-prolonging treatment during the Second World War, and its threatened exposure to the public in the midst of the cold war. The immortals Wilhelm depicts are also resistant to disease and radiation, and so become a kind of nuclear deterrent that could prompt each side to start a war before the other can protect their people.

I recently wrote a piece comparing "Welcome, Chaos" to two other books that deal with immortality.
Brat7432
not sure whether I liked it
Dpic
Feb 02, 2014 Dpic added it
good
Doreen Dalesandro
Genre: sci-fi
I listened to this book.

Welcome, Chaos explores the social and political ramifications of broad-spectrum immunity and anti-aging induced by a man-made serum. The story hit home, perhaps because I grew up when the world was poised on the edge of nuclear destruction.

Johanna Ward does a great job narrating.
G33z3r
This was a nice story of the near future, firmly rooted in the Cold War period in which it was written.

A group of scientists have discovered a treatment for practical immortality (anti-aging, rapid healing and disease immunity) that also has some undesirable side effects. They are trying to suppress the knowledge out of fear of its effects on society. Science fiction, as espionage thriller.
Becky
Thought this was a pretty good book. I think that it would make a good book club read as there were quite a few philosophical issues raised. I have enjoyed reading other Kate Wilhelm books and this was a different plot concept from my previous reads.
Pamela Davis
I absolutely love this book! About every five years or so I end up having to buy it again because friends forget to return it. It's always hard to find. I thought this book looked at the idea of immortality in a new way. I liked the description of the northwest part of the U.S., made me feel I was right there. Highly recommend this book.
Christine
What an interesting story. It makes you really wonder what is going on out there in our world, especially with other countries. I found Lyle to be interesting in many ways. Her help with the company and in her relationships. I would love to see eagles nesting- it sounds beautiful, if you have the patience to weather the storm. :-)
Mr.B
An interesting concept, if a little far-fetched. It's a bit of a mystery/spy thriller in the near future, with international intrigue centered around a serum accidentally discovered during the Third Reich--and I'm not giving away any more.
scherzo♫ -- "Though this be madness, yet there is method in 't"
Very little science fiction; mostly this is an 80's anti-war thriller with too much repetition, very casual sexuality and intellectuals making convoluted plans with too many built-in one-point failure possibilities.
Eh?Eh!
fascinating story, a tv show is coming out/is already out that sounds like it lifted this book's plot, a "Wolverine" vaccine that will either cure you or kill you and nations in a race to obtain it from its creators
Brooke
Not my favorite, part of this story is very outdated and other parts trite. It doesn't hit the mark like some of her other works. A disappointment after reading Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang.
Julian Pecenco
Interesting but somewhat dated (It took me a while to realize it was written almost thirty years ago as the publication date on the audio version was quite recent.) Lame ending.
Sally
Fun little sci-fi instead of writing about the law. I thought it was interesting and the lady knows how to write. I also like that her books take place in the Pacific NW.
Brenda Clough
One of Wilhelm's great SF novels. It is great to see a master at work; this is very nearly a perfect science fiction novel.
Erik Graff
May 28, 2012 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Wilhelm fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
As ever, Wilhelm has produced a better-than, more-serious-than usual near-future science fiction novel.
Ronica
really thought provoking book, although it starts out a little slow.
NC
dark atmosphere. I don't remember very much of the story now in 2013.
Elaine
thought-provoking, and not as dated as one might think from 1985.
Elly Wendy
I like Wilhelm, but liked some of her other books more.
Jannell
Interesting ideas, well presented. Decent reader.
  • Nothing Human
  • Walk to the End of the World (Holdfast Chronicles, #1)
  • Fractions: The First Half of The Fall Revolution
  • The Proteus Operation
  • Impossible Things
  • Glimmering
  • The Judas Rose (Native Tongue #2)
  • Mission Child
  • Life
  • In the Drift
  • House of Reeds
  • Bear Daughter
Kate Wilhelm has won the Hugo and several Nebula Awards. She is the widow of author and editor Damon Knight.
More about Kate Wilhelm...
Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang Death Qualified - A Mystery of Chaos (Barbara Holloway #1) The Best Defense (Barbara Holloway #2) The Deepest Water A Wrongful Death (Barbara Holloway #10)