Start by marking “Honor's Splendour” as Want to Read:
Honor's Splendour

Honor's Splendour

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  16,809 ratings  ·  401 reviews
This classic medieval romance from New York Times bestselling author Julie Garwood is a fan favorite—a beautiful lady needs rescue from a knight in shining armor, and gets an alpha warrior instead.

In the feuding English court, gentle Lady Madelyne suffered the cruel whims of her ruthless brother, Baron Louddon. Then, in vengeance for a bitter crime, Baron Duncan
Published August 31st 2010 by Pocket Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Honor's Splendour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honor's Splendour

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

I have to say, I have yet to read a Julie Garwood novel that I don't love, but there was something special about Honor's Splendour that makes it stand out in my mind and has made it one of my favorite reads.

Garwood's books feature women who, though they might not know it at the time, are strong, honorable, compassionate and very wise. Watching them come into their own is such an enjoyable experience.

The same can be said for the men of her novels. They are usually gruff, arrogant and very set in
Dina
Nov 16, 2011 Dina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dina by: Melissab
Yay, another great book by Julie Garwood! :)

The story opens with Baron Duncan of Wexton stripped of his clothing, tied to a post, and left to freeze to death by Baron Louddon's men. But as soon as he's alone, Louddon's sister, Lady Madelyne, comes to his rescue and frees him. Ducan can't believe his luck - not that he's in any real danger and in need of her help because his "capture" was all part of a bigger plan -, but fate is just giving him what he came for. Duncan's sister, Adela, was raped
Blacky *Romance Addict*
What will you get if you decide to read this book?

1. Wonderful writing
2. A beautiful story
3. A fierce warrior for a hero
4. A herione that has great character
5. Total and utter enjoyment

For me, this was a pure 5 star book <3

1. Wonderful writing - Julie Garwood has an amazing style. I just love reading her books, and this one wasn't dissapointing. How ever good the stroy was, how great the characters were, the best thing in this whole book was the writing. I don't remember the last time I jus
Ingela
Written September 4, 2014

4 1/2 Stars - So very delightful and tenderly heartwarming, just swoonish sweet

This was a LOVELY romance to listening too. It was my second by Julie Garwood. ~ I loved The Bride (4.5 stars). ~ Two great HR to highly recommend.

It may be 30 years old but Honors's Splendour is still amazing sweet. Ms Garwood does this with an incredible skill. ~ A lovely adorable heroine and a tough rugged hero, at least they had me with full attention, twinkling eyes and a goofy smile -
Rach  *Feisty kitty*
5++++++ STARS!!!!

I honestly cannot remember the last time I enjoyed a book so so much!

I will admit I was a person who at the mention on Historical Romances would run the other way! Yet I told Blacky I would try one as I know she loves them :)

I was so wrong to judge them! This one is so wonderful that I think it will stay with me for the rest of my life *sigh*

***Things I loved***

* Duncan known as the wolf- you have my heart my love *sigh* you are amazing and I loved your stern attitude to be
Julianna
Apr 20, 2009 Julianna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Historical Romance or Julie Garwood
Reviewed for THC Reviews
I've been a long-time fan of Julie Garwood, but have been so distracted lately by exciting new books and authors that I have not picked up one of her books in nearly two years. Thanks to a new reading challenge in which I am participating, I was finally spurred to re-read Honor's Splendour, and was immediately reminded of all the things that made me start glomming Ms. Garwood's backlist in the first place. She has a talent for combining a good romance with a strong plot,
Eastofoz
Mar 24, 2009 Eastofoz rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Stamatia Chatzigrigoriou
Shelves: medieval
3.5 stars and somewhat disappointed with this book. It’s a fan favourite but for me it didn’t come anywhere near the level of The Secret or Ransom. I missed Garwood’s hilarious word play and the book just never wanted to end. It was as if she kept wanting to end it, didn’t know how, so added another caper. It could have been nearly a hundred pages shorter and I don’t think it would have lessened the story.

Weaving the story of Homer’s "Odyssey" throughout the novel was an interesting touch (espec
Cheryl
There's just something about reading a Julie Garwood book that makes me smile! I know when I pick up one of her novels that it is going to be funny and sweet and romantic. Honor's Splendour is no exception to this rule!

There are plenty of reviews already written on this book that explain the plot, so let me just share with you what I enjoyed about it instead. The Hero- Duncan is typical Garwood hero material. He is big and strong and a mighty warrior. He made me laugh so much because of his almo
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
I really liked this book. It had me laughing and falling in love with the characters.
Silvana -SLiTsRead
3.5 Stars!!

This was a light and quite funny read. I loved Duncan and Madelyne was a likeable heroine though her erratic behavior can sometimes be off-putting, the interactions between the two were adorable and at the same time HOT. I loved most of the minor characters, The supporting characters were well-developed and crucial to the advancement of the plot, they were not just there as fillers.

I laughed and rolled my eyes a few times! I would have liked more intrigue but all in all an easy, light
Rose May
Note: This review, and all my reviews, comes from my blog - Romantic Rose's Bookshelf (http://romantic-rosesblog.blogspot.com)

Chest-beating primates, mysterious wolves, and swooning, bi-polar, PMSing tiger/kitten mixes, oh my!

(I should warn you the following is a REALLY long rant review with only one positive paragraph at the end. Feel free at any time to skip to the 'bottom line' portion of the review, to get the gist of it)

This book was my first Julie Garwood ever, and I am happy to say it wil
Beverly
DNF at 65%

I wish I loved this, but I didn't. The female drove me crazy...seems to be the story of my life lately.

At first I thought Madelynn was endearing and I liked her banter and inner thoughts...then at around 45% I realized she is literally judging everyone's decisions and telling them what to do. I do not find that quality endearing in the least, but kept reading.

Why did I keep reading?

Three reasons:
1. I hate to not finish something
2. I was reading with my amazing girls
3. They hadn't
Lelyana Taufik
"WHO'S AFRAID OF A BIG BAD WOLF?"

Absolutely NOT Madelyne, aye.Ehem, pake gaya bahasa jaman dulu nih....
Nay, Madelyne never afraid of the Wolf , even Duncan "The Wolf",Baron of Wexton, or the real wolf , the beast its self.....
And wolf begin the story, and ended it with a happy ending.
To tell the truth...this fairy tales is one of the most wonderful I have ever read, aye...

Once upon a time, saat para Baron Saxon masih jadi komandan di bawah para Raja Inggris, ada seorang baron yang sangat dise
Anne
Honor's Splendour is classic Garwood. *sigh* My favorite is still Ransom, but this one was really good, too. If you're a fan of her medieval romances, then this one won't disappoint.

Unfortunately, I did happen to notice something while reading this that kept me from giving it five stars. I love you Ms. Garwood, so please don't hate me for saying this... Has anyone else noticed that all of these books have basically the same plot? Spunky (yet kind) heroine get kidnapped or otherwise forced into m
Duchess Nicole
This was a GREAT book, a WONDERFUL historical romance! Julie Garwood has a way of sweeping you back in time and dropping you into a medieval castle...where you want to stay forever. She has such a way with words, and will forever be on of my favorite HR authors.

That being said, this one was a bit different than her others. It was so funny, and the humor was unexpected. I was snorting and knee slapping at Madeline's antics and Duncan's exasperation. It seemed like no one quite knew what to do wi
Kathleen
Best book. A repeater. I must have read this favorite at least five 50 times. I do love Garwood's hysterical historicals, especially this one! Garwood writes entertaining scenes with heroes who are larger than life. Her stories are like tall tales, or myths -- like the legendary Odysseus that Madeliene repeatedly quotes. She writes with a mix of action and sizzle and humor. I chuckle.

Audio version: So I am now listening to the audio, narrated by Anne Flosnik. Fingers crossed that she doesn't spo
ChloeLeeNH
Oct 19, 2008 ChloeLeeNH rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mediaeval (1099) Age
Just reread this one... I just love how the relationship between the h/h develops... her clutziness and his warming and sensitivity make for a great story. I must find this at a UBS... I just used the library this time so I could get the quick fix!
[Aengell]
Julie Garwood? Five stars, what else?
Kathie (katmom)
Lady Madelyne is such a sweet, naive woman. She really does want to save the world. She keeps telling everyone that she is a quiet woman, but she is usually doing it at the top of her lungs. She made me want to hug her and I was so proud of her for standing up for what she thought was right.

Like saving the man her brother wanted dead. She knew what would happen to her if she saved him, but she did it anyway.

When she realized that his feet were frozen, she thawed them the best way she knew how, w
Jessica
OMG!!!!!!!!

Where do I start and how do I start my short review, to be honest I have no idea so I'll just type the first thing that comes through my mind.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Yeah, it's not enough said, so I'll start again.
I had such a great time reading this book, I went through so many emotions and every page I turned, I was like:

. . . and when all that was over, I was like: Oh yeah, this was good, this was really good.

Do I recommend it???

ABSOLUTELY!!!
Tiko Telia
i looooveeeed it!!!! it was every bit as good as i hoped it would be!!! i simply love julie garwood, because no book of her has disappointed me yet!!! and this one was no exception. i just finished reading it and i truly have only good feelings right now xD i wont say anything about characters, coz you have to experience them yourself to fully understand their beauty!

i recommend it to anyone who likes a medieval historical romance with sweet love story, humor and great characters!
Laura V.
3.5/5

Hoy seré breve.
Me dio la sensación de que Duncan no habló mucho en su propio libro, al menos al principio. Que ellos no tuvieron las escenas suficientes juntos como para que él me diga que la ama. Ni hablar de que ella también le amaba. Lo que es genial. Refrescante.
¡Aménse! ¡Está todo bien!
Pero véndeme el proceso -_- Al menos un efímero encuentro donde sus almas se conecten en lo esencial (?)
Madelyne me encantó al principio, después se volvió una pícara sargento. Era gracioso. No se hiz
kagit kiz
Julie Garwood gerçekten özlemişim, onun o saf sakar kızlarını höt höt erkeklerini..
Zumbagirl
Honor's Splendour was a very enjoyable, beautiful and cute story. Julie Garwood has become one of my favorite authors; I look to her for comfort and so far she has not let me down. Our hero, Duncan, and and heroine, Madelyne, have a common enemy - Madelyne brother, Louddon. He's hateful and cunning. Madelyne witnesses Duncan taken captive by her brother's soldiers and left to die out in the cold. She releases him and proceeds to save his life by warming his feet!! Very cute:) Afterward it turns ...more
Jewels ♥ My Devastating Reads
All right, this was an easy, light read full of everything a romance could offer- a sexy hero, a spirited heroine, intrigue (albeit of a rather simple kind) great supporting characters and enough scenes of action and steam for everyone. It was also rather funny. Everyone is always shouting at one another in absolute exasperation and the arguments between Duncan and Madelyne are both endearing and amusing. Definitely and enjoyable entertaining read, and you become invested enough in these charact ...more
Holly
'Gentle' Lady Madelyne has suffered under the rule of her brother Baron Louddon for far to long, finally planning her daring escape she sees Louddon's men leaving a man tired to a post without any protection from the fierce winter winds. Unable to leave him to die, she goes to set him free.

The man isn't just anyone though, he is the mighty Baron Duncan of Wexton. What Madelyne doesn't know, was that his capture was part of his plan of revenge for Louddon's treachery and the rape of his sister Ad
Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
Photobucket

Today was a fairytale, you were the prince
I used to be a damsel in distress
You took me by the hand, and you picked me up at six
Today was a fairytale, today was a fairytale

While I reading this book, a song by Taylor Swift "Today Was A Fairytale" keep ringing in my ears. It's really soothe me and I can imagined Duncan and Madelyne. Their romance is enjoyable to read from beginning to end. It made me feel like I was there.

Everyone who reads Julie Garwood historical romance, this is not to miss.

Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
I am one of those people that just doesn't "get" Julie Garwood. I have given her a good shot with reading about three or four of her books, but I just find her simplistic, wallpaper, the conversations don't fit the era and her books, to me, are just silly - she's just a big blah to me.

I actually enjoyed this book up till the time the heroine became ill, but then all of a sudden it went from a good read to just silly all in the space of a page.

Although I find my favourite books are serious, dee
MountainKat
I loved this book! It left me with a warm fuzzy feeling. I really cared for for both the hero and the heroine, they were perfect for each other! At about 2/3 of the way into the book, I was gripped with such emotion. The couple was separated and I just didn't know how they were going to find their way back to each other safely. I knew they would - it is a romance after all, but I just couldn't see the path it was going to take to get them there. The ending was not disappointing! The whole book w ...more
Gavin
This was an average book dragged down by a less than average audio narrator. I'm disappointed as I read, and loved, The Lion's Lady by the same author a few months ago and I was expecting this to be just as good. Sadly it was not. Anne Flosnik's boring performance really sucked the life and humor out of this for me.

Actual rating 2.5 stars, but I'll round up to 3 because I'm kindly like that!.
Say It Isn't Soooooo 14 222 Nov 07, 2014 05:00PM
Let's Talk About ...: March 2014 Group Read Honor's Splendour 47 19 Mar 18, 2014 01:49PM
Let's Talk About ...: Honor's Splendour 3 15 Apr 08, 2013 12:53PM
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • Something Wonderful (Sequels, #2)
  • Dream of Me/Believe in Me (Viking & Saxon, #1 & #2)
  • Untamed (Medieval, #1)
  • Dreaming of You (Gamblers, #2)
  • Ravished
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #3)
  • Surrender (MacKinnon’s Rangers,  #1)
  • This Is All I Ask (De Piaget, #7)
  • Annie's Song
  • The Last Hellion (Scoundrels, #4)
  • Gentle Rogue (Malory-Anderson Family, #3)
  • Texas Glory (Texas Trilogy, #2)
  • Lady Gallant (European Renaissance Duo, #1) (Ladies, #1)
  • Wicked (Medieval Trilogy, #3)
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa
More about Julie Garwood...
The Bride (Lairds' Fiancées, #1) The Secret (Highlands' Lairds #1) Ransom (Highlands' Lairds, #2) The Prize The Wedding (Lairds' Fiancées, #2)

“Lady Madelyne had sealed her own fate. She'd warmed his feet.” 81 likes