Start by marking “Esther: A Woman of Strength and Dignity” as Want to Read:
Esther: A Woman of Strength and Dignity

Esther: A Woman of Strength and Dignity (Great Lives From God's Word)

Everyone loves a transforming story. Rags to riches. Plain to beautiful. Weak to strong. Esther's story is that, and much more. It is a thought-provoking study of God's invisible hand, writing silently across the pages of human history. Perhaps most of all, it is an account of a godly woman with the courage, wisdom, and strength to block an evil plot, overthrow an arrogant ...more
Published October 1st 1997 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Esther, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Esther

Elizabeth George
Sep 18, 2014 Elizabeth George rated it it was amazing
One of my most favorite books is "Esther: A Woman of Strength and Dignity," by Charles Swindoll (Thomas Nelson, 1997). I'll never forget the day a woman told me about this jewel of a book! She couldn't say enough about taking it along with her to the park each day to read while her children played. She admitted she couldn't put this book down until she finished it.

So off I went to purchase a copy of this book about the life of Esther---and everything she said is true! Dr. Swidoll uses his legend
Monique Gerke
3,5. Gostei do livro! O autor estuda de forma minuciosa o livro de Ester (Bíblia), mostrando de forma clara que mesmo que Ester seja o único livro da bíblia que não cite o nome de Deus, mesmo assim Ele está presente, agindo segundo a sua perfeita vontade. E isso é lindo!!!!ELE ESTÁ PRESENTE, Ele sempre está presente, mesmo quando não sentimos, ou estamos ausentes. Deus não se atrasa, não se confunde, não erra. E a história de Ester, junto com Mordecai nos mostra isso, nos ajuda a aprender a conf ...more
Dee
Jun 29, 2010 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, non-fiction
Charles Swindoll tells and comments on the book of Esther and what her life was like, how and why she acted as she did.
Tiffany
Jan 25, 2013 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scot Luman
I read Charles Swindoll's book on David many years ago which was incredible. I can't tell if this book is different or if I have just changed. I enjoyed the closer look at the life of Esther but I would recommend anyone to read the book of the bible and treat this like one person's commentary on the story because I definitely don't agree with all the conclusions Swindoll draws in this book. That being said, I appreciated his intentionality in sharing his thoughts. He draws some conclusions out o ...more
Elaine
Sep 23, 2016 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful insight into book of Esther for study. Modern day usage & need.
Joy
Mar 25, 2012 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again Swindoll has written a book that is clear and practical without a need to "seem" profound. The book was filled with Biblical information and principles for living. Lots of gems of wisdom:
"Restraint and control always work in your favor." "Pain is inevitable. Misery is optional." "Faith means believing in advance what will only make sense in reverse." "Hindsight yields insight." "God is God and He will have His way when He pleases and for His glory." "Don't talk so much. Believers who are m
Rachel
Wow, an excellent book and a timely one at that...our family has been through some struggles these last 8 years of every kind on every level - God is good but sometimes it's books like this that just bring new focus and refresh your weary spirit. :) God always has perfect timing and it's been sitting on my shelf for an age...just decided to read it recently and it was just what I needed. A reminder to all that God is working in those silent quiet moments, the mundane everyday moments, and in the ...more
Jill
Dec 16, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
For some time I've been interested in learning more about Esther. When I saw this book on a reduced Kindle list, I thought I'd give it a try. It was a fast read with lots of insights about Esther and the incidents surrounding her experiences as a Queen when she was instrumental in saving her Jewish people. Swindoll shares many points of historical background, as well as his own interpretations and lessons learned; many which I thought were very insightful. The negatives, if any, were that much o ...more
smalls
Feb 23, 2007 smalls rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I read in this series, even though it is book two. Swindoll does a great job of going through the scripture bit by bit and disecting it as a whole. Did you know God's name is never mentioned in the book of Esther? Did you also understand the rituals of what Esther went through to become a queen? This book made me both angry and happy. Angry because of the king's heart, and happy because of the miracles that God did with the kings heart. Amazing stuff. I also liked how Swin ...more
Stephanie
Dec 10, 2012 Stephanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: esther
3.5 stars. I enjoyed the history Swindoll includes in this book to really put some things in Esther's story into context. Though I'm well-versed with the book of Esther, there was plenty historically that I wasn't previously aware of. I also enjoyed the many parts where Swindoll takes lessons and events from Esther's life and applies them to our modern lives. I also enjoyed the many WWII references (personal preference...I'm OBSESSED) and found they tied in well with the messages Swindoll was tr ...more
Kelli
If you caught me while I was younger, in Sunday School, and asked me who my favorite biblical character was, I would have definitely said Esther. It is the whole, penniless girl becomes royalty. That is what Esther is to lots of girls.
Skimming thru this book, I see lots of smart things that Swindoll says. The opening chapter even states 'God's presence is not as intriguing as His absence'. Smart sentence. I think that is why people like reading Swindoll. He seems to have good one liners.
As a b
Jonathan Kelly
Aug 28, 2014 Jonathan Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Swindoll is one of my favorite authors. The way he takes the narrative historical stories from the Bible and makes them practical to 21-st century Christians is so natural that it makes the reader wonder why they hadn't thought it through before.

Only one caveat: I wish he had spent some more time on some of the history behind the scenes of Esther's time. There is so much happening at the time of this story, and with current historical obsession with the Persian empire it almost warrants an upda
Fiona
Jun 02, 2010 Fiona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
I found this book very interesting since I had never delved very deep into the story of Esther. It was easy to follow. However, one thing I found odd and amusing was the how the writer would be talking about Esther then would share an anecdote about something that had a similar message, but was otherwise completely unrelated. This was good because it allows you to see the ways Esther's story applies to real life, but from a more literary point of view it can seem rather random.
Good book overall.
Coralie
This was a commentary about the book of Esther in the Bible. I got this book because I love the name Esther. It was my grandmother's name. I knew that Esther was a Jewish queen, but didn't know that she was the Queen of Persia. She was Xerxes' wife! I never knew that. The book was interesting. The author made it very relevant to today's issues. He really pointed out that Esther came forward and stood up for her people while retaining all of her grace and charm. I could use some help in the asser ...more
Kathy
Nov 03, 2007 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible-study
From the Book of Esther, the story of a young girl who is chosen to be the next queen (After the first queen, Vashti, refused to be put on display). When the Jews are in trouble and her uncle, Moredcai says to her: "Who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this?", she ends up saving the whole race.
Studying the book helped me realize that God has a plan for our lives and we can look back on it and see exactly what he had in mind, even if we didn't realize it a this time
Curt
Aug 12, 2007 Curt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Esther groupies
Shelves: toptenlist
If facebook had a group, "The schweetest book of the Bible is Esther," and if I used facebook regularly, I would join that group. Clearly, this book is for people that want to learn more about Esther, but in a less boring way than you would think. I also like the VeggieTales Esther movie, and the movie, "One night with the King."
Tip: If you have a boring pastor, just read the book of Esther- should equal about the same time as a drawn out sermon.
James Kim
Another thoughtful and insightful book authored by Chuck Swindoll. I can hear him "preach" in his books. That's a good thing because Chuck Swindoll is one of our country's best preachers.

The only thing that I find lacking in the book is his treatment of the last chapters. The killings in the end are brutal and hard to swallow, and it's almost as if Chuck Swindoll wants to make excuses for the killings.
Jeri
The story of Esther in the Bible is such a wonderful tale of rags to riches and loving kindness and strength. I had recently read her story and it was suggested I read Swindolls book. I'm glad I did. He brings her character out as he not only describes her life and the times in which she lived. Even if you think you know her story or just want to read an inspiring story of a strong woman who risked all for her people, this is worth the read.
Angela
Apr 19, 2012 Angela rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, religion
Although 'Esther' had the potential to be inspiring, I found Charles Swindoll increasingly swayed toward a self-help facade in which one sentence was broken down into the repetitive and rambling lessons the leader could learn to transform his or her life. I really had to force myself to finish this book. I enjoyed the applicability to modern life though and believe books in this series would help believers to further cement their knowledge of specific bible stories.
Gerald Thomson
Though I truly respect Swindoll as a man of integrity, this book seemed an overreach of Scripture. In an effort to flesh out the story of Esther, Swindoll has made assumptions about life in Susa and what was going through Esther’s mind throughout the story. Speculation is fine, if it is labeled as such, but Swindoll draws conclusions that I don’t think he can make. Still, the story of Esther is so compelling that this book can’t help but make some excellent observations.
Talleyfamily6
Nov 01, 2010 Talleyfamily6 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a well written, encouraging book. I didn't find anything new as I have done Esther Bible studies before. I liked his approach to telling the story. I liked how he set the stage for the main characters in the story so you knew something about their past before their actions in this book. I think I'll look for other books in that series.
Toni Jo
This is a really good book. I thoroughly enjoyed the details that the book went into explaining each passage and verse. It caused me to examine the book of Esther in a way that I never have before. I loved having it a part of my morning devotional and would highly recommend this book to any man or woman.
Steve Miyamoto
Aug 08, 2007 Steve Miyamoto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Not as good as the first volume on David but that has more to do with the figure. Not many people can match up to the sheer drama and God's hand in David's life so virtually anyone would suffer in comparison. Particularly liked the discussion on how God gave Esther the opportunity to help in His work, and she chose to trust in God and save her people.
Carol
Jan 02, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing
This book was not only about Esther, Mordecai, King Xerxes and Haman, it was about life lessons that can be applied today as in Esther's time. Charles Swindoll does a great job of incorporating the lessons along with the events both good and bad. It makes you want to be a better Christian.
I highly recommend this book.
Ramarie
Jun 19, 2012 Ramarie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fic-nonfic
A book in the Bible I was not that familiar with, it's quite a story and ultimately, a story of triumph, as God sovereignly worked through Esther to save the Jews from genocide. This book, paired with Bible reading, made for a great group study this summer! Swindoll's usual passion for God's word and making it so relatable is infectious.
Tiffany  Ashcraft
it was somewhat repetitive but good. i feel like i learned some things about esther that i wouldnt have otherwise. i plan on reading all of his biographies. i think the others will be interesting because all of the information won't come from the same book in the bible. it did kind of make me feel like maybe im too vocal. sadly, i dont think im much like esther:(
Christa
Jan 09, 2016 Christa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love the story of Esther, so I was pretty much going to like this book regardless. It was a little repetitive (the introduction tells the whole story, then the various chapters revisit everything) which made it drag out a little, and I was expecting something more of a narrative than what it ended up being, but it told the story of Esther and told it well so it accomplished its intent.
Elaine
Jul 15, 2009 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as we were studying Esther in a bible class. This author has a good interpretation about what kind of woman Esther was and makes any woman proud to be a woman...meaning that her characteristics are more about being a human being and living in her time, challenging authority and custom.
Usako
Perhaps if I had the actual book in hand, I could have leafed through it before purchasing on the Kindle. I was seeking a biography on Esther, which I semi-received in this novel. What the book is more about are religious lessons based upon Esther's experience and pointing out how Esther is a woman of strength and dignity. Because it wasn't entirely what I was expecting, I rated it low.
  • The Name
  • Our Covenant God: Living in the Security of His Unfailing Love
  • How to Give Away Your Faith
  • Thin Within
  • The Baron's Apprenticeship
  • Cat and Dog Theology: Rethinking Our Relationship with Our Master. Living Passionately for the Glory of God
  • The Joy of Fearing God
  • Every Thought Captive: Battling the Toxic Beliefs That Separate Us from the Life We Crave
  • Reaching for the Invisible God: What Can We Expect to Find?
  • Mountains of Spices
  • Always True: God's 5 Promises When Life Is Hard
  • Loving God
  • The Pursuit of Man: The Divine Conquest of the Human Heart
Charles Swindoll has devoted over four decades to two passions: an unwavering commitment to the practical communication and application of God's Word, and an untiring devotion to seeing lives transformed by God's grace. Chuck graduated magna cum laude from Dallas Theological Seminary and has since been honored with four doctorates. For his teaching on Insight for Living, he has received the Progra ...more
More about Charles R. Swindoll...

Great Lives From God's Word (9 books)
  • David: A Man of Passion and Destiny (Great Lives from God's Word, #1)
  • Joseph: A Man of Integrity and Forgiveness (Great Lives from God's Word, #3)
  • Moses: A Man of Selfless Dedication (Great Lives From God's Word 4)
  • Elijah: A Man of Heroism and Humility (Great Lives from God's Word, #5)
  • Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit (Great Lives from God's Word, #6)
  • Job: A Man of Heroic Endurance (Great Lives from God's Word Series, Volume 7)
  • Facinating Stories of Forgotten Lives: Rediscovering some Old Testament Characters (Great Lives From God's Word Volume 8)
  • Jesus: The Greatest Life of All (Great Lives Series)