Esther: A Woman of Strength and Dignity

Esther: A Woman of Strength and Dignity (Great Lives From God's Word)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  508 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Everyone loves a transforming story. Rags to riches. Plain to beautiful. Weak to strong. Esther's story is that, and much more. It is a thought-provoking study of God's invisible hand, writing silently across the pages of human history. Perhaps most of all, it is an account of a godly woman with the courage, wisdom, and strength to block an evil plot, overthrow an arrogant...more
Published October 1st 1997 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Esther, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Esther

Dee
Charles Swindoll tells and comments on the book of Esther and what her life was like, how and why she acted as she did.
Joy
Again Swindoll has written a book that is clear and practical without a need to "seem" profound. The book was filled with Biblical information and principles for living. Lots of gems of wisdom:
"Restraint and control always work in your favor." "Pain is inevitable. Misery is optional." "Faith means believing in advance what will only make sense in reverse." "Hindsight yields insight." "God is God and He will have His way when He pleases and for His glory." "Don't talk so much. Believers who are m...more
Tiffany
Rachel
Wow, an excellent book and a timely one at that...our family has been through some struggles these last 8 years of every kind on every level - God is good but sometimes it's books like this that just bring new focus and refresh your weary spirit. :) God always has perfect timing and it's been sitting on my shelf for an age...just decided to read it recently and it was just what I needed. A reminder to all that God is working in those silent quiet moments, the mundane everyday moments, and in the...more
smalls
This is the first book I read in this series, even though it is book two. Swindoll does a great job of going through the scripture bit by bit and disecting it as a whole. Did you know God's name is never mentioned in the book of Esther? Did you also understand the rituals of what Esther went through to become a queen? This book made me both angry and happy. Angry because of the king's heart, and happy because of the miracles that God did with the kings heart. Amazing stuff. I also liked how Swin...more
Kelly
Good sensible analysis of the story of Esther. I appreciate some of the points Swindoll brings out in this book, especially those about God's power in the midst of even the most threatening circumstances. I don't think he goes as deep as certain other authors I enjoy more, and I do have a few minor philosophical differences with Swindoll which hardly matter for the bulk of the material in this book. Though it may not change your life, this book will speak the truth to you that we can trust God b...more
Kelli
If you caught me while I was younger, in Sunday School, and asked me who my favorite biblical character was, I would have definitely said Esther. It is the whole, penniless girl becomes royalty. That is what Esther is to lots of girls.
Skimming thru this book, I see lots of smart things that Swindoll says. The opening chapter even states 'God's presence is not as intriguing as His absence'. Smart sentence. I think that is why people like reading Swindoll. He seems to have good one liners.
As a b...more
Coralie
This was a commentary about the book of Esther in the Bible. I got this book because I love the name Esther. It was my grandmother's name. I knew that Esther was a Jewish queen, but didn't know that she was the Queen of Persia. She was Xerxes' wife! I never knew that. The book was interesting. The author made it very relevant to today's issues. He really pointed out that Esther came forward and stood up for her people while retaining all of her grace and charm. I could use some help in the asser...more
Tanika
Good book! Must read again!
Fiona
I found this book very interesting since I had never delved very deep into the story of Esther. It was easy to follow. However, one thing I found odd and amusing was the how the writer would be talking about Esther then would share an anecdote about something that had a similar message, but was otherwise completely unrelated. This was good because it allows you to see the ways Esther's story applies to real life, but from a more literary point of view it can seem rather random.
Good book overall.
Kathaileen
From the Book of Esther, the story of a young girl who is chosen to be the next queen (After the first queen, Vashti, refused to be put on display). When the Jews are in trouble and her uncle, Moredcai says to her: "Who knows whether you have not attained royalty for such a time as this?", she ends up saving the whole race.
Studying the book helped me realize that God has a plan for our lives and we can look back on it and see exactly what he had in mind, even if we didn't realize it a this time...more
Angela
Although 'Esther' had the potential to be inspiring, I found Charles Swindoll increasingly swayed toward a self-help facade in which one sentence was broken down into the repetitive and rambling lessons the leader could learn to transform his or her life. I really had to force myself to finish this book. I enjoyed the applicability to modern life though and believe books in this series would help believers to further cement their knowledge of specific bible stories.
Curt
Aug 12, 2007 Curt rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Esther groupies
Shelves: toptenlist
If facebook had a group, "The schweetest book of the Bible is Esther," and if I used facebook regularly, I would join that group. Clearly, this book is for people that want to learn more about Esther, but in a less boring way than you would think. I also like the VeggieTales Esther movie, and the movie, "One night with the King."
Tip: If you have a boring pastor, just read the book of Esther- should equal about the same time as a drawn out sermon.
James Kim
Another thoughtful and insightful book authored by Chuck Swindoll. I can hear him "preach" in his books. That's a good thing because Chuck Swindoll is one of our country's best preachers.

The only thing that I find lacking in the book is his treatment of the last chapters. The killings in the end are brutal and hard to swallow, and it's almost as if Chuck Swindoll wants to make excuses for the killings.
Usako
Perhaps if I had the actual book in hand, I could have leafed through it before purchasing on the Kindle. I was seeking a biography on Esther, which I semi-received in this novel. What the book is more about are religious lessons based upon Esther's experience and pointing out how Esther is a woman of strength and dignity. Because it wasn't entirely what I was expecting, I rated it low.
Tiffany  Ashcraft
it was somewhat repetitive but good. i feel like i learned some things about esther that i wouldnt have otherwise. i plan on reading all of his biographies. i think the others will be interesting because all of the information won't come from the same book in the bible. it did kind of make me feel like maybe im too vocal. sadly, i dont think im much like esther:(
Talleyfamily6
This was a well written, encouraging book. I didn't find anything new as I have done Esther Bible studies before. I liked his approach to telling the story. I liked how he set the stage for the main characters in the story so you knew something about their past before their actions in this book. I think I'll look for other books in that series.
Steve Miyamoto
Not as good as the first volume on David but that has more to do with the figure. Not many people can match up to the sheer drama and God's hand in David's life so virtually anyone would suffer in comparison. Particularly liked the discussion on how God gave Esther the opportunity to help in His work, and she chose to trust in God and save her people.
Ramarie
A book in the Bible I was not that familiar with, it's quite a story and ultimately, a story of triumph, as God sovereignly worked through Esther to save the Jews from genocide. This book, paired with Bible reading, made for a great group study this summer! Swindoll's usual passion for God's word and making it so relatable is infectious.
Elaine
I read this book as we were studying Esther in a bible class. This author has a good interpretation about what kind of woman Esther was and makes any woman proud to be a woman...meaning that her characteristics are more about being a human being and living in her time, challenging authority and custom.
Joanna
What a character! I've come to respect Esther in a much more profound way. After reading and learning about Esther, you can't help but to want to become like her--to have the discernment and patience of knowing when/how to fully trust in God. Great book to read with your small group!
In a book of the bible where God is never mentioned it is a great look at faith and religion. I love the story of Esther even the history of this woman is not obvious by reading this short story in the old testament. Highly recommend to anyone wanting to learn more about their faith.
Zapy80
hehehe...

esther ini bagus banget dibaca terutama untuk perempuan.
^^ tentang wanita yang taat, wanita yang masih muda, tapi mau memberikan segala apa yang dia punyai untuk Tuhan.

^^ baca aja. ada versi bhs indonesia. hehe. benere aku baca yg versi indonesianya kok..

gbu all
Mike
I enjoyed the book about the life of Esther. Chuck Swindoll brought out some points that gave me a new perspective on the story. And it was good hearing the story again, I had forgotten some of the dramatic incidents which really show the character of Esther.
Jannie
Awesome! I am getting so much out of this study. Swindoll really challenges you to take Esther's story and apply it to your life today. This is a great companion to Beth Moore's study of Esther. As a man, he brings a slightly different perspective.
Rosanne
It encourages me greatly to get to study and feel like I know this wonderful woman. Swindoll is easy to read, with lots of insight into her character. We used the book as a Women's Discussion/Study book.
Bob Snook
VEry interesting how one person can make a difference. Not one of swindoll's better books but good. This is a very good book to show how God works in our lives. Parts were very inspiring.
Leigh Ann
This is a great book on the life of Esther. I like this series. Used it for my Bible study I was doing at work. A clear, concise understanding of the book of Esther.
Stacy
This was a very good story. Swindoll relates the story to our everyday life and gives a clear message of the story of Esther. I highly recommend this book.
This might be enjoyed by someone who's not too familiar with Esther's story. I've read a lot about Esther so I found it repetitive and boring
  • The Pursuit of Man: The Divine Conquest of the Human Heart
  • Amazing Grace in the Life of William Wilberforce
  • Twelve Ordinary Men
  • The Great House of God
  • Loving God
  • The Baron's Apprenticeship
  • Living By the Book: The Art and Science of Reading the Bible
  • Ruthless Trust: The Ragamuffin's Path to God
  • Hear No Evil: Marching in the Lord's Army, Fleeing the Devil, and Finding a Righteous Groove
  • What's So Amazing about Grace? Study Guide
  • Angels: God's Secret Agents
  • Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • Windows of the Soul: Experiencing God in New Ways
  • The Joy of Fearing God
  • How to Get a Date Worth Keeping
  • The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah
Charles Swindoll has devoted over four decades to two passions: an unwavering commitment to the practical communication and application of God's Word, and an untiring devotion to seeing lives transformed by God's grace. Chuck graduated magna cum laude from Dallas Theological Seminary and has since been honored with four doctorates. For his teaching on Insight for Living, he has received the Progra...more
More about Charles R. Swindoll...
The Grace Awakening: Believing in Grace Is One Thing. Living It Is Another. David: A Man of Passion and Destiny (Great Lives from God's Word, #1) Improving Your Serve: The Art of Unselfish Living Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit (Great Lives from God's Word, #6) Joseph: A Man of Integrity and Forgiveness (Great Lives from God's Word, #3)